Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Quazzie wrote: »
    So in the 90 minutes you seen him he's been as good as Cech this season??? :rolleyes:

Yes, and Columbia :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I don't think Ospina is world class, but he is a very good goalkeeper and is definitely a starting calibre keeper. I'm surprised that we kept him in the summer as I just assumed that he would have been offered a first team spot elsewhere.

For once we actually have decent goalkeepers which hasn't been the case since we had Lehmann. Ospina is easily the best second choice keeper in the league IMO and is better than the majority of first team keepers in the premier league. For the good of Ospinas career though he needs to be playing first team football. That's why I'm surprised that he's still here, he's obviously getting paid well and is content playing a handful of games for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mansize wrote: »
    Yes, and Columbia :rolleyes:;)
    But you said "for us".

Unless your Columbian you're talking through your hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Here's a question, when you cheer for Arsenal, do you cheer in your local accent or in a London accent?

I find when I'm cheering the London pronunciation creeping in, but I spent a summer in London and if I went "Full Bogger" accent, they'd be like wtf... :P

It's a real life problem.

The word "Arsenal" really shows up your Irish accent. And my "London" accent, frankly, embarasses everyone in the room.

Plus I've heard enough fake scouse and manc accents in Dublin pubs to be quite certain trying to mimic English fans is the act of an absolute dipstick.

My solution? Just say "Sp*rs are c*nts" often enough. People will work it out from there.

Meanwhile, I just think it's great we have 2 very good keepers for the first time in years.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    It's a real life problem.

The word "Arsenal" really shows up your Irish accent. And my "London" accent, frankly, embarasses everyone in the room.

Plus I've heard enough fake scouse and manc accents in Dublin pubs to be quite certain trying to mimic English fans is the act of an absolute dipstick.

My solution? Just say "Sp*rs are c*nts" often enough. People will work it out from there.

Cants not Cuuunts though ;)

It was mad the day I was travelling back, the gate for Dublin sounded like Darby O'Gill!

Quazzie wrote: »
    So in the 90 minutes you seen him he's been as good as Cech this season??? :rolleyes:

If you are being pedantic, I only qualified Cech for this season, not both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think being the no 1 keeper for the national team classed as the 3rd best in the World makes you World class. Especially as he regularly wins motm when playing for his national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

greendom wrote: »
    I think being the no 1 keeper for the national team classed as the 3rd best in the World makes you World class. Especially as he regularly wins motm when playing for his national team.

Why are you bringing Neuer into this?

emmetlego wrote: »
    Why are you bringing Neuer into this?

Neuer doesn't play for Colombia?

• Advertisement

Columbia's greatest export

Germany are 3rd in FIFA rankings.
    Columbia are 4th.

Germany are 3rd in FIFA rankings.
    Columbia are 4th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombia_national_football_team

Even if they were 4th the point still stands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombia_national_football_team

Even if they were 4th the point still stands

That's from august and its wiki.
    As of today, Columbia are 4th.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/

That's from august and its wiki.
    As of today, Columbia are 4th.

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/

apologies the wiki data was a day out of date. As I say the original point still stands despite Colombia's one place demotion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ospina does all the hard things great and easy things bad. He could pull off 3 worldies and then be beating from a corner kick.

apologies the wiki data was a day out of date. As I say the original point still stands despite Colombia's one place demotion

There's no need to act defensive because I corrected that fact.
    Whist I don't think Ospina can be classed as world class because he's not a first choice club keeper and doesn't play enough games at club level to be world class (joe hart is a good example of what would happen to his international career if he sat on the bench)
    I don't think Ospina is a bad keeper by any standard, but he can't be world class YET.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Well?? :rolleyes:

There's no need to act defensive because I corrected that fact.
    Whist I don't think Ospina can be classed as world class because he's not a first choice club keeper and doesn't play enough games at club level to be world class (joe hart is a good example of what would happen to his international career if he sat on the bench)
    I don't think Ospina is a bad keeper by any standard, he can't be world class YET.

I wasn't being defensive, just acknowledging your and Emmetlogo's correction.

Fair point on the not playing first team argument but imo there's very little between him and Cech. The main thing that Cech has over Ospina is experience especially Premier league experience. It's unfortunate for Ospina to have a keeper with such a wealth of experience to lean on but it's excellent for us to have such an able deputy. Wenger will have to give him game time, otherwise he'll be off.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Well?? :rolleyes:

you knew full well I wasn't talking abouit Neuer just as I know that you know he's not Colombian..

Well done for catching me out on using day old data !

• Advertisement

I wasn't being defensive, just acknowledging your and Emmetlogo's correction.

Fair point on the not playing first team argument but imo there's very little between him and Cech. The main thing that Cech has over Ospina is experience especially Premier league experience. It's unfortunate for Ospina to have a keeper with such a wealth of experience to lean on but it's excellent for us to have such an able deputy. Wenger will have to give him game time, otherwise he'll be off.

His loss then.
    He wouldn't get into any other clubs first team at arsenals level right now.
    I have every confidence that wenger would expect Ospina to realise that cech won't be first name on the sheet in the coming years and he can wait his turn or leave.
    One thing is guaranteed, wenger will not demote cech to second choice because Ospina showed he can save shots.

His loss then.
    He wouldn't get into any other clubs first team at arsenals level right now.
    I have every confidence that wenger would expect Ospina to realise that cech won't be first name on the sheet in the coming years and he can wait his turn or leave.
    One thing is guaranteed, wenger will not demote cech to second choice because Ospina showed he can save shots.

hopefully Cech's form won't drop but if it does I could see Ospina replacing him pretty quickly. There's no guarantee that Ospina will be waiting years for regular 1st team football. Even before that happens Ospina should get the occasional game to keep him sharp and used to playing with the team should Cech get injured

hopefully Cech's form won't drop but if it does I could see Ospina replacing him pretty quickly. There's no guarantee that Ospina will be waiting years for regular 1st team football. Even before that happens Ospina should get the occasional game to keep him sharp and used to playing with the team should Cech get injured

And he will.
    Wenger has shown consistent form in giving non regulars chances in the team.
    I don't think Ospina will think, I'm gonna give Arsene an ultimatum.
    I'm sure he respects the club and manager and will probably still show desire if he knows he might only get 6-8 starts this season.

Just like his team in the last couple of matches, Arsene is late for this morning's press conference

EDIT bad weather and traffic has forced this to be rescheduled for 12.30

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just like his team in the last couple of matches, Arsene is late for this morning's press conference

EDIT bad weather and traffic has forced this to be rescheduled for 12.30

In fairness, it's truly rotten weather here, I woke up to an impressive light show this morning with the amount of lightening coming down.

no Ramsey for tomorrow or next week, Walcott may play, Giroud doubtful with a toe injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

she wouldn't even be in the top 10 tbh, definitely not world class :pac:

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    she wouldn't even be in the top 10 tbh, definitely not world class :pac:

Tell her husband, Pique, I'm so jealous of that woman!!! ��

In other news.

https://www.twitter.com/classofbergkamp/status/776695526741991424

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Tell her husband, Pique, I'm so jealous of that woman!!! 😤

jealous of who here?

cavani has 4 goals in the first half tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Cavani has scored 4 goals in the first half of PSG's game tonight. Just sayin' :P

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

arsenal are a useless shower of b888888888

XR3i wrote: »
    arsenal are a useless shower of b888888888

What?

Cavani has scored 4 goals in the first half of PSG's game tonight. Just sayin' :P

Hmm. So does that mean we're outraged at not signing him or outraged that Wenger managed to fluke him not scoring against us?

Either way, I'm outraged.

• Advertisement

Hmm. So does that mean we're outraged at not signing him or outraged that Wenger managed to fluke him not scoring against us?

It means Ken won!

It means Ken won!

I'm outraged!

I'm opposed, dammed, damned opposed!!!

What is it?

I'm opposed, dammed, damned opposed!!!

What is it?

Typical Arsenal bullsh*t.

LOL at us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Bottled it on the big stage but does it against French farmers

• Advertisement

Typical Arsenal bullsh*t.

LOL at us.

It's the "Wenger is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" brigade.

20 amazing years!!!!

CsdgdHJWAAAH0-t.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ffs :rolleyes:

Read earlier on some Liverpool fan saying the last game he watched them play on a Friday was in 89.

Happy Micheal Thomas day everyone!

*raises glass*

20 amazing years!!!!

Amazing years? yes there has been some great years ill agree but there has been years like last year where the team has just given up and while it isn't all Wenger's fault he is the manager at the end of the day. Your comparing apples and oranges comparing the eras Pre-Wenger to today. There is different variables in football. TV money, pristine pitches, better standard of player being attracted. Could Terry Neill or Bertie Mee attract a Johann Cruyff? No but Bruce Rioch could buy Dennis Bergkamp. You also had the three foreigner rule. How would Wenger cope with that? We'll never know but i would think that the fact he could recruit as many foreign players as he liked certainly helped him in terms of changing the culture within the club. Taking nothing away from what he has achieved but sometimes the stars align in certain ways too.

Football clubs from the premier league era have more cash then they ever could handle. Granted Wenger probably deserves a free pass for suffering through the cost of the stadium build but there has been septic, gutless performances along the road both at home and away, in Europe and domestically that lack of money cannot defend. it was quite simply bad tactics.

I dont think the Wenger from 96 to 06 when the team had hungry winners throughout can be compared with the Wenger from 06 onwards where his recruitment drive although restrained to a certain extent, he brought in a mixture of inexperience, losers, hotheads, airheads (Bendtner), and substandard players to replace Vieira, Keown, Adams, Bergy . The fans still paid the hard money to get into the Emirates to watch the likes Manuel Almunia between the posts and William Gallas throw a tantrum when a penalty was awarded against the team. Granted injuries didnt help Wenger either ill admit but why always Arsenal?

Liverpool won all round them under Shankly and Paisley but there is no guarantee they would win in the context of todays game.

Amazing years? yes there has been some great years ill agree but there has been years like last year where the team has just given up and while it isn't all Wenger's fault he is the manager at the end of the day. Your comparing apples and oranges comparing the eras Pre-Wenger to today. There is different variables in football. TV money, pristine pitches, better standard of player being attracted. Could Terry Neill or Bertie Mee attract a Johann Cruyff? No but Bruce Rioch could buy Dennis Bergkamp. You also had the three foreigner rule. How would Wenger cope with that? We'll never know but i would think that the fact he could recruit as many foreign players as he liked certainly helped him in terms of changing the culture within the club. Taking nothing away from what he has achieved but sometimes the stars align in certain ways too.

Football clubs from the premier league era have more cash then they ever could handle. Granted Wenger probably deserves a free pass for suffering through the cost of the stadium build but there has been septic, gutless performances along the road but at home and away, in Europe and domestically that lack of money cannot defend. it was quite simply bad tactics.

I dont think the Wenger from 96 to 06 when the team had hungry winners throughout can be compared with the Wenger from 06 onwards where his recruitment drive although restrained to a certain extent, he brought in a mixture of inexperience, losers, hotheads, airheads (Bendtner), and substandard players to replace Vieira, Keown, Adams, Bergy . The fans still paid the hard money to get into the Emirates to watch the likes Manuel Almunia between the posts and William Gallas throw a tantrum when a penalty was awarded against the team. Granted injuries didnt help Wenger either ill admit but why always Arsenal?

Every club has septic days, but to be consistently top 4 takes some doing.

Plenty of teams have had poor signings too.

Mourinho hasn't had things his own way too, but we know what he does when the going gets tough...

All the competitors had the same restrictions at the time too.

You could argue that the one time there was a huge disadvantage to Arsenal was when Chelsea and City had all those millions to spend that arsenal didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

20 amazing years!!!!

CsdgdHJWAAAH0-t.jpg

If you think the last 10 years have been amazing then you're easily pleased.

If you think the last 10 years have been amazing then you're easily pleased.

Have you been reading my Grindr profile? That's just to reel them in ;):cool:

Every club has septic days, but to be consistently top 4 takes some doing.

Plenty of teams have had poor signings too.

Mourinho hasn't had things his own way too, but we know what he does when the going gets tough...

All the competitors had the same restrictions at the time too.

You could argue that the one time there was a huge disadvantage to Arsenal was when Chelsea and City had all those millions to spend that arsenal didn't.

I agree with your points there and during the early years there can be no doubt that Wenger rejuvenated the club but since moving to the new stadium, while yes we havent had the same funds as the rich clubs there has been poor players and poor characters coming through the squad that have got far far too much time under Wenger. Im not going to be flippant and dismiss his time at Arsenal or within English football overall as a failure. He has been brilliant for the game but i dont think early Wenger and todays Wenger bring the same thing to the club. Yes there has been variables that have determined this but if we had played with a bit more hunger, workrate, intensity and cleverness then i do wonder if it could have been that extra 5 or 10% that could have led to greater things. Theo Walcott should never be getting 10 years at a club like Arsenal for example. he has been at Arsenal longer then Ian Wright (91-98) and almost as long as Dennis Bergkamp (95-06)

Look at Atletico and Leicester and the way they have put their best foot forward on a smaller budget. Granted for leicester we are basing this on one solitary season. We have lost an awful lot of games versus the big teams in recent years when the pressure has been on. Look at Klopps record against the big teams so far by contrast. I have been delighted with our signings this summer and I hope they help us make our mark. I see Wednesdays result as a real positive and i hope Arsene has one last hurrah with us before he takes his well deserved retirement from football. There is no doubting his loyalty and his astuteness but there is a little bit of myopia there too.

I agree with your points there and during the early years there can be no doubt that Wenger rejuvenated the club but since moving to the new stadium, while yes we havent had the same funds as the rich clubs there has been poor players and poor characters coming through the squad that have got far far too much time under Wenger. Im not going to be flippant and dismiss his time at Arsenal or within English football overall as a failure. He has been brilliant for the game but i dont think early Wenger and todays Wenger bring the same thing to the club. Yes there has been variables that have determined this but if we had played with a bit more hunger, workrate, intensity and cleverness then i do wonder if it could have been that extra 5 or 10% that could have led to greater things. Theo Walcott should never be getting 10 years at a club like Arsenal for example. he has been at Arsenal longer then Ian Wright (91-98) and almost as long as Dennis Bergkamp (95-06)

Look at Atletico and Leicester and the way they have put their best foot forward on a smaller budget. Granted for leicester we are basing this on one solitary season. We have lost an awful lot of games versus the big teams in recent years when the pressure has been on. Look at Klopps record against the big teams so far by contrast. I have been delighted with our signings this summer and I hope they help us make our mark. I see Wednesdays result as a real positive and i hope Arsene has one last hurrah with us before he takes his well deserved retirement from football. There is no doubting his loyalty and his astuteness but there is a little bit of myopia there too.

Leicester have won the league once, and look unlikely to repeat the feat this year.
    Its a lot harder to defend the title, than win it initially. If there was one (other) fault, apart from not winning the UCL (but going damned close!), it was not defending the Premier League.

Listen the Wenger In and Wenger Out camps are there, and they are not for turning but on 20 years I feel his success at the club should be acknowledged.

Also getting the extra 5% out of players is a lot harder than it looks, plenty have talked a good game, but their naïvety was easily exposed when they stood in the Dugout, Souness, Neville etc

Leicester have won the league once, and look unlikely to repeat the feat this year.
    Its a lot harder to defend the title, than win it initially. If there was one (other) fault, apart from not winning the UCL (but going damned close!), it was not defending the Premier League.

Listen the Wenger In and Wenger Out camps are there, and they are not for turning but on 20 years I feel his success at the club should be acknowledged.

And any Arsenal fan will acknowledge the two doubles, the invincible season, the champions league final even in 06, but since then we have seen many collapses in the league and we've been cannon fodder on several occasions for many of the big clubs. Marcus Rashford took us to school last season. Prior to that we've had the abysmal Liverpool and Chelsea performances in 14. Man United spanking us 8-2 in 2011 and several other defeats to the same sides. Top four is pretty meaningless if you are not going to at least try your best and make some kind of mark the following season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement