Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

And any Arsenal fan will acknowledge the two doubles, the invincible season, the champions league final even in 06, but since then we have seen many collapses in the league and we've been cannon fodder on several occasions for many of the big clubs. Marcus Rashford took us to school last season. Prior to that we've had the abysmal Liverpool and Chelsea performances in 14. Man United spanking us 8-2 in 2011 and several other defeats to the same sides. Top four is pretty meaningless if you are not going to at least try your best and make some kind of mark the following season.

I don't get het up on individual games. They're a lot more meaningless that finishing in the top 4 tbf.

If you are just put out by the slagging it getting very repititve

X had Y in his pocket all match, got home takes out wallet, phone, car keys, Y...

Oh the LOLs :rolleyes:

mansize wrote: »
    I don't get het up on individual games. They're a lot more meaningless that finishing in the top 4 tbf.

If you are just put out by the slagging it getting very repititve

X had Y in his pocket all match, got home takes out wallet, phone, car keys, Y...

Oh the LOLs :rolleyes:

Except there has been many of these and a clear pattern has emerged to those that have been following Arsenal that there is something clearly amiss within our preparation/tactics and unless it is addressed by our 'great' manager then it will be a long time before we win another league.

These are not just any games, these are huge games against our biggest rivals and these type of capitulations have been happening years now and not to even examine it is pure ignorance at its highest. To be champions you have to beat those around you.

I never said anything about the slagging?:confused: i couldnt give a shíte what united or chelsea fans think of Arsenal but i want to see Arsenal win or at the very least put their damn best foot forward. Thats quite a lazy defence your using tbh and i kind of find it bizarre that you would just simplify it the way you have tbh. i expected a bit more thought put into your argument.

Except there has been many of these and a clear pattern has emerged to those that have been following Arsenal that there is something clearly amiss within our preparation/tactics and unless it is addressed by our 'great' manager then it will be a long time before we win another league.

These are not just any games, these are huge games against our biggest rivals and these type of capitulations have been happening years now and not to even examine it is pure ignorance at its highest. To be champions you have to beat those around you.

I never said anything about the slagging?:confused: i couldnt give a shíte what united or chelsea fans think of Arsenal but i want to see Arsenal win or at the very least put their damn best foot forward. Thats quite a lazy defence your using tbh and i kind of find it bizarre that you would just simplify it the way you have tbh. i expected a bit more thought put into your argument.

Quite a patronising retort, but where is the evidence that its happening consistently?

These are more one off aberrations than anything else.

To look at isolated matches years apart is not any meaningful way to look at patterns or give any meaningful analysis of things. To refer to it as "pure ignorance" is both offensive and ironic. No one does statistical analysis like that.

What thought do you want, Lose 8-2 to Man United- WENGER OUT????

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Read earlier on some Liverpool fan saying the last game he watched them play on a Friday was in 89.

Happy Micheal Thomas day everyone!

*raises glass*

You should tell him that he is wrong or else watches no Liverpool games. Any time Christmas is on a Thursday, Liverpool play on a Friday. European Super cup games (2 since 2001) are on a Friday, also there used to be games on Good Friday until a few years back. Selective memory from him.

I must admit though that when I hear the the words "Liverpool game, Friday night", that game in May 1989 is the first one that springs to mind, unfortunately for me.

Arsenal v Top 4 2015/16

08/05 Man C 2-2 Arsenal 1/3
    05/03 Spurs 2-2 Arsenal 1/3
    14/02 Arsenal 2-1 Leicester 3/3
    21/12 Arsenal 2-1 Man City 3/3
    08/11 Arsenal 1-1 Spurs 1/3
    26/09 Leicester 2-5 Arsenal 3/3

W 3 D 3 L0
    Thats a win rate of 50% Home 67% Away 33%
    Conversely, Loss Rate 0% Home 0% Away 0%

Points Total 12/18 = 67% return
    Home 7/9 = 78% Away 4/9 = 44% (must do better)

Net Goals +5, Home +2, Away +3
    Largest Margin of victory +3 Largest Margin of defeat - (N/A)

Quite a patronising retort, but where is the evidence that its happening consistently?

These are more one off aberrations than anything else.

To look at isolated matches years apart is not any meaningful way to look at patterns or give any meaningful analysis of things. To refer to it as "pure ignorance" is both offensive and ironic. No one does statistical analysis like that.

What thought do you want, Lose 8-2 to Man United- WENGER OUT????

One off defeats? You really need to look the stats up.
    Since 2005 United won 5 leagues, City won 2 leagues and Chelsea won 4 leagues, Leicester won 1 league

We have received several defeats to Chelsea, Man United and City in that timeframe with a couple of hammerings amongst them and there was few scorelines while not exactly hammerings on the scoreboard we were still beaten comprehensively. There has been a clear pattern and the man in charge of recruiting the players and overseeing the team has been the constant throughout.

Anyone who puts these down to mere 'one off' blips, just hasnt been paying attention. We've not even looked competitive and on the occasion we actually did we completely sh@t ourselves. Certain players sat on huge contracts and brought the club down. Fact is that Arsene Wenger has persisted with a failing formula through all this time. What happened pre Wenger is irrelevant as an argument. He didnt learn from any of the defeats against the big teams and never approached the games with anything different.

Arsenal v Top 4 2015/16

08/05 Man C 2-2 Arsenal 1/3
    05/03 Spurs 2-2 Arsenal 1/3
    14/02 Arsenal 2-1 Leicester 3/3
    21/12 Arsenal 2-1 Man City 3/3
    08/11 Arsenal 1-1 Spurs 1/3
    26/09 Leicester 2-5 Arsenal 3/3

Thats a win rate of 50% Home 67% Away 33%
    Conversely, Loss Rate 0% Home 0% Away 0%

Points Total 12/18 = 67% return
    Home 7/9 = 78% Away 4/9 = 44% (must do better)

One season as you so conveniently reminded us when i mentioned Leicester. We barely finished second but sure lets ignore that :rolleyes:

One off defeats? You really need to look the stats up.
    Since 2005 United won 5 leagues, City won 2 leagues and Chelsea won 4 leagues, Leicester won 1 league

We have received several defeats to Chelsea, Man United and City in that timeframe with a couple of hammerings amongst them and there was few scorelines while not exactly hammerings on the scoreboard we were still beaten comprehensively. There has been a clear pattern and the man in charge of recruiting the players and overseeing the team has been the constant throughout.

Anyone who puts these down to mere 'one off' blips, just hasnt been paying attention. We've not even looked competitive and on the occasion we actually did we completely sh@t ourselves. Certain players sat on huge contracts and brought the club down. Fact is that Arsene Wenger has persisted with a failing formula through all this time. What happened pre Wenger is irrelevant as an argument. He didnt learn from any of the defeats against the big teams and never approached the games with anything different.

OK So.

One season as you so conveniently reminded us when i mentioned Leicester. We barely finished second but sure lets ignore that :rolleyes:

Do you know how long it took me to pull that together???

What it shows, and all it shows is our performance against the Top 4 in the most recent season.

And from my reading it doesn't look too shabby.

But your well thought out argument below it, surely trumps it.

• Advertisement

Do you know how long it took me to pull that together???

What it shows, and all it shows is our performance against the Top 4 in the most recent season.

And from my reading it doesn't look too shabby.

But your well thought out argument below it, surely trumps it.

Without examining the fact that we collapsed yet again overall despite being top at Christmas. We were beaten by both Chelsea and Man United. Irregardless of where they finished last season by their standards they still managed to beat us and in Chelsea's case twice. Once with Mourinho in charge who couldn't win an argument. We scraped a draw at Spurs.....big f*cking deal.

I was demonstrating our performance against the Top 4 was much improved last season- your initial point seemed to say this wasn't the case

So it's really losing to Man United and Chelsea that grates on you then? Why is that?

5starpool wrote: »
    You should tell him that he is wrong or else watches no Liverpool games. Any time Christmas is on a Thursday, Liverpool play on a Friday. European Super cup games (2 since 2001) are on a Friday, also there used to be games on Good Friday until a few years back. Selective memory from him.

I must admit though that when I hear the the words "Liverpool game, Friday night", that game in May 1989 is the first one that springs to mind, unfortunately for me.

Why would you take as gospel something someone writes online???
    It's usually selective memory and confirmation bias.

So it's really losing to Man United and Chelsea that grates on you then?

Er no, the fact that we have been consistently beaten by those who have been consistently around us in crucial games season on season and those teams happen to be United, City and Chelsea. And we have been beaten at home on several occasions too by these teams. Fact of the matter is we have been dominated by them. Doesnt even matter that we are paying 30 or 40 million for players these times, the net result has still been the same. But sure choose to ignore groundhog day if you wish why not sure. That will make it all better im sure

Er no, the fact that we have been consistently beaten by those who have been consistently around us in crucial games season on season and those teams happen to be United, City and Chelsea. And we have been beaten at home on several occasions too by these teams. Fact of the matter is we have been dominated by them. Doesnt even matter that we are paying 30 or 40 million for players these times, the net result has still been the same. But sure choose to ignore groundhog day if you wish why not sure. That will make it all better im sure

Can you give your evidence of this?
    Man United were outside the Top 4 the last two seasons but you seem to like them

Can you give your evidence of this?
    Man United were outside the Top 4 the last two seasons but you seem to like them

Evidence of what? Look it up for yourself since you conveniently cant remember the stranglehold the other big clubs have had over us. The results are there to see and fact is we have lost a hell of a lot of premier league, cup and even a champions league game versus United, Chelsea and City who have been thereabout the top 3 consistently since Arsenal dropped out.

Im just banging my head against a brick wall at this stage. if you want to continue to ignore the simple hard facts then go ahead. You want us to laud Wenger who has achieved relatively mediocre performances since 2006, fair enough but most of us who watch football and actually analyse it and see the clear picture are not prepared to buy your simplified bulls*it and thats exactly what it is. Simplified crap that even Wengers PR man wouldnt dare spin.

• Advertisement

Evidence of what? Look it up for yourself since you conveniently cant remember the stranglehold the other big clubs have had over us. The results are there to see and fact is we have lost a hell of a lot of premier league, cup and even a champions league game versus United, Chelsea and City who have been thereabout the top 3 consistently since Arsenal dropped out.

Im just banging my head against a brick wall at this stage. if you want to continue to ignore the simple hard facts then go ahead. You want us to laud Wenger who has achieved relatively mediocre performances since 2006, fair enough but most of us who watch football and actually analyse it and see the clear picture are not prepared to buy your simplified bulls*it and thats exactly what it is. Simplified crap that even Wengers PR man wouldnt dare spin.

Listen, I gave data and facts to back up what I said, you wouldn't do me the basic courtesy of doing the same for what you say but instead attack me in a foul mouthed rant.

Simple is gushing out tired cliches without any evidence and getting annoyed when they are challenged, with ACTUAL evidence.

Listen, I gave data and facts to back up what I said, you wouldn't do me the basic courtesy of doing the same for what you say but instead attack me in a foul mouthed rant.

Simple is gushing out tired cliches without any evidence and getting annoyed when they are challenged, with ACTUAL evidence.

What evidence have you provided? one season? why should i have to provide you evidence of recent history where these games have taken part in the last few seasons? and foul mouthed rant? ha ha behave :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ah we're back fighting again ..Nice to be back to normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

For years the big teams had our number because our players weren't good enough. Basically you be tough, wait for us to make a mistake and then score.

That's not so strong in the last few years because we have better players.

But we're still throwing away important matches at important stages by coming out and playing with the infamous handbrake on. The Swansea match last season was worse than the 8-2 for me.

Wenger still has work to do.

The stadium, the positive net spend, the top 4 every year? That all remains a minor miracle.

It needs to be built on though.

gosplan wrote: »
    For years the big teams had our number because our players weren't good enough. Basically you be tough, wait for us to make a mistake and then score.

That's not so strong in the last few years because we have better players.

But we're still throwing away important matches at important stages by coming out and playing with the infamous handbrake on. The Swansea match last season was worse than the 8-2 for me.

Wenger still has work to do.

The stadium, the positive net spend, the top 4 every year? That all remains a minor miracle.

It needs to be built on though.

The thing with us is we need to be able to grind out wins when we're not playing well. The Swansea match was poor last year, but every team has performances like that in a season...you still need to be able to somehow get something out of the match.

I hope in the next week or two, we start to get an impression of what Wenger's best team is. I'm mainly interested in where Ramsey goes. Will he play him alongside Xhaka, or put him out on the wing?

I would love to see something like

Cech

Bellerin---Mustafi---Kos---Monreal

Xha
    Ram

Lucas
    Ozil
    Sanchez

Giroud

It will be interesting to see the team today. Will be shocked if the Ox gets another start.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    The thing with us is we need to be able to grind out wins when we're not playing well. The Swansea match was poor last year, but every team has performances like that in a season...you still need to be able to somehow get something out of the match.

I hope in the next week or two, we start to get an impression of what Wenger's best team is. I'm mainly interested in where Ramsey goes. Will he play him alongside Xhaka, or put him out on the wing?

I would love to see something like

Cech

Xha
    Ram

Lucas
    Ozil
    Sanchez

Giroud

It will be interesting to see the team today. Will be shocked if the Ox gets another start.

You would think that it's all fairly obvious.

Hard match = 2 DMFs and Lucas up front for counter attacks.

Easier match = 1 DMF and Caz/Rambo with Giroud up front giving us intricate play on the final third.

But then Wenger is likely to stick Sanchez up front leaving us fairly weak on the wings.

I like Iwobi and Walcott is at least trying but let's face it, for a team with aspirations, Sanchez is the only real wide option.

To me it makes more sense to go

Xhaka
    Rambo/Elneny
    Ozil - Caz - Sanchez
    Giroud

Or Sanchez - Ozil - Caz behind the striker.

I get Ozil or Caz wide isn't the best use of them but starting 2 of Walcott/Iwobi/Ox seems shocking use of our squad right now.

Caz might not have the legs for the wide position now but when he arrived he was the only creative wide player that has done anything like Pires for the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Less **** talking and fightin :D

Ramsey out for another week , giroud to be assessed with toe problem .

Can see it been something like this .

Cech

Coquelin/Elneny
    Santi/Xhaka

Perez
    Ozil
    Sanchez

Giroud

0-2 to us ( Giroud , Sanchez ) :)

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Less **** talking and fightin :D

Ramsey out for another week , giroud to be assessed with toe problem .

Can see it been something like this .

Cech

Coquelin/Elneny
    Santi/Xhaka

Perez
    Ozil
    Sanchez

Giroud

0-2 to us ( Giroud , Sanchez ) :)

Yes! Let's stuff Hull!

Everyone agrees, right?

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Apparently Giroud hasn't travelled with the squad. Anyone but Sanchez up top please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Are we on tv today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Are we on tv today

Yeah we are on one of the sky sports channels today if you're living in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Where will have a good replay of the match I could watch this evening? Gonna miss this one unfortunately.

x PyRo wrote: »
    Apparently Giroud hasn't travelled with the squad. Anyone but Sanchez up top please.

It's a really hard one to call in that 'anyone but Sanchez' is basically Perez.

No way of changing it if it doesn't work.

Gulp.

gosplan wrote: »
    It's a really hard one to call in that 'anyone but Sanchez' is basically Perez.

No way of changing it if it doesn't work.

Gulp.

I would actually prefer Walcott up top to Sanchez

Does anyone reckon that Gibbs might be close to getting some game time? I know he's been average in his Arsenal career, but Monreal has been quite poor so far this season IMO. Maybe he needs a threat to his position to kick himself into gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Early team news - no Giroud but Xhaka to start apparently - we'll see...

greendom wrote: »
    Early team news - no Giroud but Xhaka to start apparently - we'll see...

Partly right. Dunno what Wenger is playing at.

@Arsenal: The wait is over... here's how we line up for #HCFCvAFC pic.twitter.com/Iq05yeuTEP

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/777129983810691072

Yeah against a team like Hull I thought he would go with Xhaka ahead of Coquelin. Hull could be difficult to break down as I saw them against Man Utd and they set their stall out to defend. Hoping we get an early enough goal to ease the stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Xhaka not starting and Sanchez up top again is this some sick joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just saw the lineup.. Alexis up front again...

Just F off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

On what basis should Sanchez start up front? **** sake Arsene you do yourself no favours!!

Wtf did we buy Lucas for..

I can understand him wanting to ease Xhaka and Lucas in......that's what matches like this are for.

Sanchez up top just doesn't work. He doesn't even stay in position for a start. Very strange.

I assume Lucas will start midweek against Forest and is still bedding into the squad. So on that basis we don't really have anyone else to start up top bar Alexis or Walcott I suppose. It's mid September and Giroud really hasn't got going yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

It's like he's trying to prove a point that his XI selection against PSG was a good choice - despite the fact that we scored when we had Xhaka and an actual striker subbed on.

Sanchez at least has a good scoring record against Hull, but I really think he should be starting on the wing. I think I'd actually prefer Walcott up front but Theo seems to prefer the wing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think people should calm down and wait to see how it unfolds; he wants to ease Xhaka in..he'll come on at half time.

I think people should calm down and wait to see how it unfolds; he wants to ease Xhaka in..he'll come on at half time.

Half time sub? There's a first! :pac:

I'm OK with Sanchez starting up front today. Not when Giroud is fit but today against hull, it's OK.

Perez off the bench if we need something.

Gonna get beat here today.. I'd take the draw now.. ****ing zero ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Usually I would say it is just a fans appetite to see new players start getting the better of their judgement but Xhaka should be starting his performance versus Watford has yet to be beaten by any other player so far

• Advertisement

Confident we can win today. In Kildare Village- hell on earth!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Would have liked to see Xhaka. Shame that Giroud is injured. Even more of a shame that he didn't get to play a bit more before he got injured.

Gonna get beat here today.. I'd take the draw now.. ****ing zero ambition.

????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

4-1 to Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Confident we can win today. In Kildare Village- hell on earth!!!

In bleedin Arnotts.

Turning off phone now till MOTD.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement