Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

greendom wrote: »
    Pudders wrote: »
    Still don't understand the team selection despite the result.

Perhaps because you're not working day in day out with the players?

So you think Xhaka didn't improve the team against PSG?
    You don't think Xhaka when playing has been probably our best pkayer?
    You don't think Xhaka has a range of passing that is beyond Coq?

He looked really off the pace in his first match this season, which maybe made Wenger think twice about how quickly he would integrate him into the team. He's looked great in his last couple of appearances, though.

I'm hoping Wenger is planning on a Xhaka/Rambo partnership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I hope it's Xhaka-Elneny he's looking at!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think we're Going see combos in midfield Ramsey/xhaka and coq/Cazorla and he won't want to break them up, we done something similar to great success a few years ago (where that leaves elneny i have no clue)

The stats say Alexis up top is working but watching the games it's really not, I would put him back on the wing and leave iwobi and Walcott battle it out for the other spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I think we're Going see combos in midfield Ramsey/xhaka and coq/Cazorla and he won't want to break them up, we done something similar to great success a few years ago (where that leaves elneny i have no clue)

The stats say Alexis up top is working but watching the games it's really not, I would put him back on the wing and leave iwobi and Walcott battle it out for the other spot

I have been very impressed with Iwobi. This kid has intelligence way beyond his years, thats half the battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

For all the talk about Xhaka I thought Coquelin was massive whilst it was 11v11. Seemed to be winning the ball high up the pitch constantly which helped us keep Hull in their own half. We like to criticise Wenger for not tailoring game plans and selections to different games but to me it looked like a clear tactic to have Coquelin pressing high to keep Hull deep.

AdamD wrote: »
    For all the talk about Xhaka I thought Coquelin was massive whilst it was 11v11. Seemed to be winning the ball high up the pitch constantly which helped us keep Hull in their own half. We like to criticise Wenger for not tailoring game plans and selections to different games but to me it looked like a clear tactic to have Coquelin pressing high to keep Hull deep.

That's the second game coq played higher than Cazorla which I found very interesting

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I have been very impressed with Iwobi. This kid has intelligence way beyond his years, thats half the battle.

Think he is brilliant, my front 3 with everyone fit

Sanchez/welbeck/iwobi

Thought they looked very good for the few games last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

That's the second game coq played higher than Cazorla which I found very interesting

Against a better side we will be punished severely. Coq should be marshalling the back 4 and not playing high up the field. There was a few times yesterday Hull counter attacked us and we were wide open. A better side would of scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I really want to see Xhaka against Chelsea. They've a very physical midfield in Kante/Matic and I don't really think Cazorla is up to that

• Advertisement

I really want to see Xhaka against Chelsea. They've a very physical midfield in Kante/Matic and I don't really think Cazorla is up to that

Yeah, and it wouldn't surprise if Wenger throws a player he's been using sparingly straight in the deep end against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Watford in front against Utd. 2-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What AdamD said. Coquelin although a more limited player than Xhaka has been playing very well. Works well with Cazorla too. Xhaka is acclimatising to English football but will undoubtedly get his time.

DenMan wrote: »
    Watford in front against Utd. 2-1

Make that 3. And 3 defeats in a week!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Wish Arsenal had got all their business done early like United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Hahahahaha...United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

utd looked a bit of a mess today.

Glorious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

And we stay 3rd

Tell me again about Jose being the special one...

Bankrolled to the hilt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Wonder who he'll blame today. Is it the doctor's turn again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

its a good day

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Wonder who he'll blame today. Is it the doctor's turn again?

Probably Wenger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

United's performance today seemed to be a perfect example of how too many changes too soon to a starting line up can be counter productive. I think people could do with keeping that in in mind before they start criticising Wenger for his starting eleven selections.

Probably Wenger

Jose "some managers are lucky enough to beat Watford 3 1, others are unlucky to lose 3 1"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

greendom wrote: »
    Jose "some managers are lucky enough to beat Watford 3 1, others are unlucky to lose 3 1"

He did not???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Remember a week ago when everyone in here was saying 'top three sown up already'?

You really don't have a clue how things work out and spending money or bringing in someone like Conte is absolutely no guarantee of anything.

Back to 4th...

mansize wrote: »
    Back to 4th...

Won 3 in a row, cheer up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

gosplan wrote: »
    Remember a week ago when everyone in here was saying 'top three sown up already'?

You really don't have a clue how things work out and spending money or bringing in someone like Conte is absolutely no guarantee of anything.

Perhaps give Conte a few more games before judging the man FFS.

L'prof wrote: »
    Won 3 in a row, cheer up

Spurs winning always upsets me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Panthro wrote: »
    Perhaps give Conte a few more games before judging the man FFS.

Perhaps you should read what I said before judging what I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

gosplan wrote: »

Yeah it's way too early for crowning champions or top 3 set in stone etc. Based on how we have played so far this season we will need to improve if we are going to win the title. I see the bookies have us as 5th favourite for the title as it stands, which is very unusual based on past seasons.

Next week is massive though against Chelsea, our record against them recently is abysmal. Arsenal haven't scored a goal against them in the last three seasons, so that needs the be sorted out on Saturday.

I don't care much for the EFL cup, but hopefully fringe players get some much needed game time and maybe give Perez a runout to get him his first goal in an Arsenal jersey.

Yeah it's way too early for crowning champions or top 3 set in stone etc. Based on how we have played so far this season we will need to improve if we are going to win the title. I see the bookies have us as 5th favourite for the title as it stands, which is very unusual based on past seasons.

Next week is massive though against Chelsea, our record against them recently is abysmal. Arsenal haven't scored a goal against them in the last three seasons, so that needs the be sorted out on Saturday.

I don't care much for the EFL cup, but hopefully fringe players get some much needed game time and maybe give Perez a runout to get him his first goal in an Arsenal jersey.

5th favourite for the title seems spot on, nailed on for too 4 though ;)

He might have. I could not possibly comment! 😉

Spurs winning always upsets me!

This isn't actually true, just when they go ahead of arsenal :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

This isn't actually true, just when they go ahead of arsenal :mad:

I have to admit, I'm not comfortable with how many points they're collecting this season.

The sooner Man United sack Mourinho and poach Pochettino the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As long as United don't come looking for Stephen Kenny i'm happy.
    Brilliant manager and tactician.
    Come on the Townnnn.

Now pass no remarks. I'm a bit drunk. Just back from Croke Park. Delighted for Watford too.

Come on the Townnnn.

Now pass no remarks. I'm a bit drunk. Just back from Croke Park. Delighted for Watford too.

Pray tell, what town is this? I thought it was Dundalk FC? Ye call them the town too?

Pray tell, what town is this? I thought it was Dundalk FC? Ye call them the town too?

Always called the Town. Playing nice football too with a crowd of rejects other teams wouldn't play. Kenny is a genius for getting the best out of his players.

Come on the Townnnn.

Why were you in Croker?

• Advertisement

Why were you in Croker?

Bought 10 year tickets years ago and kept renewing them. Not cheap.
    I was cheering for the underdogs from Mayo but i think they'll get hockeyed in the replay. Hopefully not though.

One day Tayto...

Always called the Town. Playing nice football too with a crowd of rejects other teams wouldn't play. Kenny is a genius for getting the best out of his players.

Thought you were a Longford man for a second there. Only town worth talkin about :p

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Thought you were a Longford man for a second there. Only town worth talkin about :p

Hahahah Agreed

Didn't know they had a team :pac::pac:

Didn't know they had a team :pac::pac:

That's where it all started for Kenny, made him the man he is today ;)

That's where it all started for Kenny, made him the man he is today ;)

Always had a soft spot for them and Athlone Town.

Loads of changes expected for tomorrow night's League Cup match. It will give all the fringe players game-time which is good.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Loads of changes expected for tomorrow night's League Cup match. It will give all the fringe players game-time which is good.

So that's our only two strikers and the second most expensive midfielder in the history of the club then :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement