Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Loads of changes expected for tomorrow night's League Cup match. It will give all the fringe players game-time which is good.

Hope you're ready for the Gibbs show :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Loads of changes expected for tomorrow night's League Cup match. It will give all the fringe players game-time which is good.

Who's this now, Dundalk or Longford??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Who's this now, Dundalk or Longford??

Dundalk have Rovers.
    I'll be at that and watch the Arsenal game later.

Oh the joys of life and football.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Hope you're ready for the Gibbs show :pac:

Ospina, Gibbs, Holding, Debuchy, Xhaka, Elneny, Perez and Akpom should all be starting I would imagine

greendom wrote: »
    Ospina, Gibbs, Holding, Debuchy, Xhaka, Elneny, Perez and Akpom should all be starting I would imagine

The Jeff???? :(

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    The Jeff???? :(

yes him too -goes without saying - or at least I went without saying it:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I love the league cup, shame we've been going out so early recently

I love the league cup, shame we've been going out so early recently

It's not as good as the FA Cup but it is a shame that we've not gone further. A sign that our second string hasn't been good enough perhaps. With what looks like a stronger squad this season, perhaps that will change ?

It's not as good as the FA Cup but it is a shame that we've not gone further. A sign that our second string hasn't been good enough perhaps. With what looks like a stronger squad this season, perhaps that will change ?

Yeah hopefully, depends on the draw as well, if we get a PL club it's going to be difficult because if you stick with 2nd string they may not be good enough and if you add in some tired 1st teamers it could be even worse.

I prefer the league cup to the FA Cup tbh, I just love getting to see guys play that I rarely get to see and I like the atmosphere from the smaller clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I would pick this team:

Ospina, Holding, Bielik, Gabriel, Gibbs, Elneny, Xhaka, Zelalem, Ox, Perez, Reine-Adelaide

All of them need games and/or form. Don't think Debuchy's attitude deserves a place unless it has changed. Akpom on after 55 for Ox with Perez moving wide.
    One senior player on the bench - Walcott, Sanchez or Cazorla - and five kids: Macey, Johnson, Willock, Maitland-Niles and Sheaf.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    I would pick this team:

Ospina, Holding, Bielik, Gabriel, Gibbs, Elneny, Xhaka, Zelalem, Ox, Perez, Reine-Adelaide

All of them need games and/or form. Don't think Debuchy's attitude deserves a place unless it has changed. Akpom on after 55 for Ox with Perez moving wide.
    One senior player on the bench - Walcott, Sanchez or Cazorla - and five kids: Macey, Johnson, Willock, Maitland-Niles and Sheaf.

Who's playing RB? What if after 55 mins Ox is having a stormer and on a hat trick? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Who's playing RB? What if after 55 mins Ox is having a stormer and on a hat trick? :pac:

Holding at right-back, he is supposed to be able to cover there, he needs a game to see.

Well Ox will have proved himself then and will be needed for Chelsea so take him off.

Godge wrote: »
    Holding at right-back, he is supposed to be able to cover there, he needs a game to see.

Well Ox will have proved himself then and will be needed for Chelsea so take him off.

I'd like to see Debuchy at RB and keep both Holding and Chambers as CB's, sick of not having nailed on positions for our players.

It was a joke, but generally you can't plan subs in advance, you see how the game is going and make the necessary changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

It was a joke, but generally you can't plan subs in advance, you see how the game is going and make the necessary changes.

Tell that to AW !!

wawaman wrote: »
    Tell that to AW !!

He has been a bit better recently, making changes in the 60th minute as opposed to the 80th.

I'd like to see Debuchy at RB and keep both Holding and Chambers as CB's, sick of not having nailed on positions for our players.

Thought Chambers was out on loan??

Aye, I just mean in general like, I want CB to be his position as opposed to RB or RB/CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

He is. On the bench of Boro.

That's the second game coq played higher than Cazorla which I found very interesting

Very interesting???
    I found it very foolish.

First time in a while we have had a holding defensive midfielder and he's allowed move to AMC, the role that we have too many players that want to play there.

Very interesting???
    I found it very foolish.

First time in a while we have had a holding defensive midfielder and he's allowed move to AMC, the role that we have too many players that want to play there.

Wenger wants every midfielder to be a box to box midfielder now, same way all of our wingers are strikers and all of our full backs are centre backs and vice versa

• Advertisement

Very interesting???
    I found it very foolish.

The high line was a risky policy but it worked given the team we were playing against. We've struggled before, even at home, when playing against 10 men so it's not a bad strategy in those circumstances. The worrying thing is that we seemed to be doing the same against PSG.

In addition Wenger has seen that it worked for Liverpool against Chelsea so it wouldn't surprise me if he did the same on Saturday. I'm sure Chelsea would do a lot more with the available space than Hull managed.

Wenger wants every midfielder to be a box to box midfielder now, same way all of our wingers are strikers and all of our full backs are centre backs and vice versa

I find that hard to believe.
    There are teams like City who would easily exploit that.
    Maybe Wenger just allows it for certain games. It's a dangerous ploy. I actually believe that he sees certain pairings for certain games. I think we will see Xhaka and Elneny/Ramsey for the games like City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Anybody else dreading the Costa show on Saturday???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

L'prof wrote: »

No. F*ck that.

Time to put him in his box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Think Kos and Mustafi wont let him boss them around .

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    No. F*ck that.

Time to put him in his box.
    pudzey101 wrote: »
    Think Kos and Mustafi wont let him boss them around .

I'm just worried about him conning the ref again and Arsenal suffering because of it!

I'm just worried about him conning the ref again and Arsenal suffering because of it!

I'd be worried about him winding-up our defenders and getting one sent off like he did last year. If we fall for that again then we deserve what we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I don't care if we suffer, as long as we suffer for someone lifting him into at least row D.

I find that hard to believe.
    There are teams like City who would easily exploit that.
    Maybe Wenger just allows it for certain games. It's a dangerous ploy. I actually believe that he sees certain pairings for certain games. I think we will see Xhaka and Elneny/Ramsey for the games like City.

Hyperbole obviously but it's a trait of his to play players out of position...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'd be worried about him winding-up our defenders and getting one sent off like he did last year. If we fall for that again then we deserve what we get.

I don't think Mustafi would be as easily wound up as Gabriel was last year. He was an easy target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

I don't think Mustafi would be as easily wound up as Gabriel was last year. He was an easy target.

Mustafi likes a hard tackle too ... it'll be interesting :D Xhaka or Coq are the only 2 that could fall for Costas bull****

Almost full circle really when you think about it. Vieira and Petit loved to roam up and down the field and perhaps Gilberto too to a certain degree then it changed you had the holding midfielder and the advancing midfielders and now its gone back to the combative type that love to get up and down the field. Xhaka, Elneny, hell even Coquelin is getting forward lately

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We havent even scored against Chelsea in about 15 years. I'm fearing the "sh1t ourselves again" show.

keano_afc wrote: »
    We havent even scored against Chelsea in about 15 years. I'm fearing the "sh1t ourselves again" show.

ohh it wasn't that long ago, let me refresh your memory :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭DvB

A repeat of the 5-3 at the bridge of a few years back would be nice... though I suspect it'll have less goals, & more in their favour.

Chelsea really frustrate me as I genuinely see nothing to fear from them, I think we're a better team, yet we seem to have a collective brain-fart whenever we play them... they'll be looking to bounce back from the defeat v Liverpool into the bargain... I'd rip your arm off for a boring 0-0
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Rsm8dXDLZKI

I got in before the edit and was thinking that was the most obscure reference to a game I'd ever seen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

keano_afc wrote: »

We will smash them 3:0 mark my words. There is no mourinho manageing them and our record against a chelsea side not managed by mourinho is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Are we on television tonight?

Jaysus both keepers were brutal, particularly Cech, when you look back at that game.

• Advertisement

Jaysus both keepers were brutal, particularly Cech, when you look back at that game.

Keepers and defense, Jesus it was a clown show.

Keepers and defense, Jesus it was a clown show.

at least we weren't in the lead role for once :D - Terry on his arse - move of the match for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

emmetlego wrote: »
    Are we on television tonight?
    I can't see any listing for the Arsenal v Forest game. Not even a highlights show on BBC.
    Anyone know different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

In my world it will be on our tv anyway :pac:

eamonpk wrote: »
    I can't see any listing for the Arsenal v Forest game. Not even a highlights show on BBC.
    Anyone know different?

I think Channel 5 UK have highlights at 11pm tomorrow.

AFAIK Leicester v Chelsea is the only televised game tonight. Gonna have to pull out my sister in Oz's Foxtel Go account for our match.

It might be quite difficult to get to watch this live tonight as American tv doesn't seem to have much interest in the League Cup as I remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Seems it's available on beIN sports VOD player, so there should be some streams about.

We will smash them 3:0 mark my words. There is no mourinho manageing them and our record against a chelsea side not managed by mourinho is pretty good

I wouldn't be so sure, if we score 3 (we won't) they will get 3 also.

I'm hoping for a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I wouldn't be so sure, if we score 3 (we won't) they will get 3 also.

I'm hoping for a draw

And we lost to a Hiddink managed Chelsea last season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

For tonight's match I'm just hoping that we don't pick up any unnecessary injuries to any first team calibre players. The Sheff Wed game last season was a disaster for this and of course the result too. I've a sneaky feeling that Martinez is going to get a run out in goal tonight.

The team I'd go for tonight would be

Martinez,
    Debuchy, Holding, Gabriel, Gibbs
    Ox, Xhaka, El Neny, Iwobi
    Perez, Giroud

It's a team full of players that have barely had a kick this season bar the Ox and Iwobi, so I think it's as good as any time to give them a game. I'm assuming Giroud and Debuchy are back fit. I'd only play Xhaka to get his match fitness going with a view to starting him on Saturday against Chelsea.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement