Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Tickets booked for PSG at home. Quickest I ever got on to buy them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Seaman

Lauren----Adams----Campbell----Cole

Pires
    Vieira----Petit
    Overmars

Henry
    Bergkamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Fair to say Timmy Mac would love Xhaka if he was a soccer commentator

Fair to say I'd love Timmy Mac if he was a soccer commentator.

Possibly even more than I do already.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

I know Man U fans need to back their team no matter what, but my god, if I was a Man U fan with Jose in charge, id honestly have to stop watching football.

I asked Jose what had happened and he revealed: 'He was asking for a red card and pressing the ref in my technical area. I told him to go back to his area. He pushed me. 'I told him, "Here you do that, you know I can't react, but I will meet you one day in the street".' Now I don't think Jose was ever serious about having fisticuffs with the Frenchman, he was just huffing and puffing and letting off steam. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion, even though an article for me with Jose saying, 'Let's sort this out in the street, Arsene' would have been huge.

I told Jose this could be a good story to show he took no nonsense from Wenger but I added that I thought it was best to leave it. Jose took it on board, replying: 'Yeah, yeah, he is in a bad situation for his clean image but if I do what he did I would be dead by the media and the FA.'

F**k of Jose, you gouged Tito Vilanova in the eye and you were still the media darling. Shut your mouth you clown and do your talking on the pitch!

Get Gilberto Silva into yiser best teams, yis mentalers.

wonga77 wrote: »
    I know its only headlines to sell a book but jesus Mourinho is a sad pathetic man, there have been very few if any, managers in the top flight of English football that have the complete lack of class that Jose has.
    Id love to have seen the reaction of Sir Bobby and the Utd hierarchy to these headlines,

There have been zero like him.

Sir Alex's worst, worst moments were still several levels in class above him.

And his teams usually had a purpose other than just trying to kill the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Get Gilberto Silva into yiser best teams, yis mentalers.

Vieira was a better player. I wouldnt pick both of them in my line up. For what its worth:
    Lehmann

Sagna Kos Adams Cashley

Freddie Vieira Fabregas Pires

Bergkamp Henry

Kos over Campbell because i think he has better awareness now and is a goal threat. I think we got the best years of Lehmann's career so I went for him ahead of Seaman. It was very close though. Sagna over Dixon because of Sagna's attacking threat. He is a better defender than Ralph too. Midfield and attack picks itself.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Fabregas and Vieira would never have worked as a midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Wrighty in for Henry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Fabregas and Vieira would never have worked as a midfield.

Vieira had to put up with the likes of Grimandi alongside him and made it work. Fabregas advancing and Vieira supporting could work imo. I dont think it would make us weak.

Grimandi while hardly a world beater was the right sort of player to play alongside Vieira, a sitter. Same with Petit and Gilberto. Anchoring the midfield was their natural game, it wasn't Vieira's. His game was box to box and very forward-minded. It's no coincidence that Fabregas and Vieira spent very little time together at the club. Fabregas was even more forward minded (indeed Wenger eventually gave up on him as a CM altogether) and they’d just get in each other’s way and leaving the back four wide open. Fabregas and Vieira together would be like a slightly higher functioning version of what we’re seeing at United at the moment with Pogba & Fellaini. I'm sure Vieira could adopt and limit his game but why would you do that?

Putting Pires on the right to accommodate Overmars would be a similar if less severe case of taking away a large part of what made our greatest exactly that. A huge part of Bobby’s magic was the way he could cut inside from the left and combine with Henry. It worked so well because they each loved to occupy the space that the other vacated. Bobby’s the best attacking mid we’ve had in my lifetime, don’t limit him. Particularly when you’ve got a natural right sider in Sanchez who has all of Freddie’s work-ethic but is far more prolific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Wrighty in for Henry?

Nooo. Loved Wright, but his best days were before Wenger arrived, and Henry was the best striker this league has seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Grimandi while hardly a world beater was the right sort of player to play alongside Vieira, a sitter. Same with Petit and Gilberto. Anchoring the midfield was their natural game, it wasn't Vieira's. His game was box to box and very forward-minded. It's no coincidence that Fabregas and Vieira spent very little time together at the club. Fabregas was even more forward minded (indeed Wenger eventually gave up on him as a CM altogether) and they’d just get in each other’s way and leaving the back four wide open. Fabregas and Vieira together would be like a slightly higher functioning version of what we’re seeing at United at the moment with Pogba & Fellaini. I'm sure Vieira could adopt and limit his game but why would you do that?

Putting Pires on the right to accommodate Overmars would be a similar if less severe case of taking away a large part of what made our greatest exactly that. A huge part of Bobby’s magic was the way he could cut inside from the left and combine with Henry. It worked so well because they each loved to occupy the space that the other vacated. Bobby’s the best attacking mid we’ve had in my lifetime, don’t limit him. Particularly when you’ve got a natural right sider in Sanchez who has all of Freddie’s work-ethic but is far more prolific. and half of his footballing brain
    FYP;)

Well if that's the case, imagine what a player Sanchez would be with twice the footballing brain power. 46 goals already; super brain Freddie reached that tally in his 6th season at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Remember David Seamans save in the semi final of the Fa Cup v Sheff Utd? Unbelievable. Still gives me shivers to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Remember David Seamans save in the semi final of the Fa Cup v Sheff Utd? Unbelievable. Still gives me shivers to this day.

Still don't know how he managed to keep that ball out. Phenomenal save.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

DvB wrote: »
    Still don't know how he managed to keep that ball out. Phenomenal save.
    Astonishing save. Best I ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Astonishing save. Best I ever seen.

I've genuinely yet to see one better.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

DvB wrote: »
    I've genuinely yet to see one better.

I love that Seaman save too, but this my go-to for best save.

Terry misses tomorrow's game. Good news.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

He was 39 went he made that save

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Tickets booked for PSG at home. Quickest I ever got on to buy them

Cool enjoy!

I'd love to go but for 2 things - started new job- no time off yet and the cost of the tickets! €100 a bit steep €38 for Swansea one 👌 Fly out late Fri back early Sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

That Seaman save is hard to beat - I remember Fabianski made a great one against Zaki, and also Szczesny against Udinese. My favourite one was this from Lehmann though - the look on Solskjaer face said it all really:

mansize wrote: »
    Cool enjoy!

I'd love to go but for 2 things - started new job- no time off yet and the cost of the tickets! €100 a bit steep €38 for Swansea one 👌 Fly out late Fri back early Sun

Going to the Swansea one myself, some difference in price alright. Doing it in the same day fly early Saturday morning back Saturday night

Same day? Yikes! U in Dublin?

mansize wrote: »
    Same day? Yikes! U in Dublin?

Yeah I'll be going from Dublin,ah I've done it same day many of times it ain't too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Yeah I'll be going from Dublin,ah I've done it same day many of times it ain't too bad

What kind of times are the flights? Do you have much wiggle room?

L'prof wrote: »
    What kind of times are the flights? Do you have much wiggle room?

Flight out is 8:20
    Flight back is 22:05
    Yeah find I have plenty of time,I don't be rushing anyway. Get to the 12 pins early watch the other football then walk over to the stadium

Lots of interesting stats going into this one:

- We haven't won any of the last 8 matches officiated by Oliver.
    - Chelsea haven't lost any of the last 13 officiated by him.
    - Costa never lost to Arsenal.
    - Arsenal had 4 players sent off in last 5 against Chelsea.
    - Arsenal haven't scored in last 6 matches against Chelsea

And so on...

Definitely picking an Arsenal win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I hate Chelsea but the hatred has dimmed with the despicable one moving north.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Giroud passed fit and in the squad for today. We'll definitely need him at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Some record!

397632.JPG

Pudders wrote: »

This is so true. I have to remind myself of it every week.

Remember when they won the double with Ancelotti? I wasn't exactly happy about it, but it was entirely different to when that snake was involved. Y'know before he got fired either time.

Anyway, our record against these is awful recently, but our team at the moment is at least a match for theirs. I'm confident today.

Pudders wrote: »

Old Special Once himself. Hope Leicester stuff them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Leicester getting a hammering.

Was hoping to watch both games today but the GAA kicking off at 5 is a load of bollox

Bet Vardy wishes that "easy decision" to reject us wasn't so easy after all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

x PyRo wrote: »

14457489_1138889766147917_835949201485516919_n.jpg?oh=83b30bf15a15d1ce99b8372806485710&oe=5872B398&__gda__=1485019054_a2265513bd447fd2c902fb14cc20b0fe

Wait till we seehow we get on at Old Trafford before saying things like that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Leicester getting a hammering.

Was hoping to watch both games today but the GAA kicking off at 5 is a load of bollox

You're a week early.
    Replay on next week.

• Advertisement

Arsenal XI; Cech; Bellerin Mustafi Koscielny Monreal; Coquelin Cazorla; Iwobi Özil Walcott; Sanchez. Giroud on the bench.

Arsenal XI; Cech; Bellerin Mustafi Koscielny Monreal; Coquelin Cazorla; Iwobi Özil Walcott; Sanchez. Giroud on the bench.

Urgh

Anyway, if this is the team....Xhaka and Lucas being played for 90 on Tuesday was a clear sign they weren't playing today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Meh, Was hoping to see Xhaka in the starting 11 today

No xhaka or elneny? Can see the 2 boys getting bullied in there (hopefully not) but can't see Chelsea playing as bad as they did against Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Yeah I'm not surprised that Coquelin and Cazorla are playing again, I suppose if it's not broke don't fix it. Would have liked to see Xhaka being played though.

I'm not confident going into this game, but I suppose that's what happens when we haven't scored against them in three seasons. Chelsea have had our number for quite a while, hopefully today we give them a beating and change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Why does he persist with Sanchez up front, it's dire, our wings are pretty weak too other than that, strong team. Looking for Monreal to get back in form, hasn't been great as of late.

• Advertisement

We did beat them in the Community Sheild last season - lets win one in the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

So we're still going for pace? I'd like to see a striker there with alexis on the wing and xhaka cover for back 4. 🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

5star02707 wrote: »
    So we're still going for pace? I'd like to see a striker there with alexis on the wing and xhaka cover for back 4. 🀔

conte does like to play a high back line - which without terry he can.

hope caz & coq show a bit more defensive discipline today than recent games, iwobi too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Poor selection again from Wenger imo.
    Hope i'm wrong but Caz and Coq are not mobile enough and will be bullied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Why did we spend 35 million on a player to leave him on the bench?

I don't get it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement