Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

Why do you hate Spurs?

I thought everyone did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Pudders wrote: »
    That first half was near perfection.

First time I can recall the fans singing at half time in the concourse in my block - 92/93.

You couldn't pick out a stand out player there were so many great performances.

Ozil has the vision and passing range of a god.
    When did Theo ever make as many tackles?
    Iwobi looks a huge talent.
    Mustafi looks the ideal partner for Kos.
    That tackle from Hector.

If you were to criticise maybe Theo should have shot in the 2nd half but I will forgive him.

Yesterday was a good day to be a gooner.

Yeah, while 3 points against Chelsea will always be more than welcome, it was the manner we played that has everyone so pleased.

We've played loads of teams going through defensive issues in the past few years but never put anyone to the sword like that.

Alexis up front completely changes our attack. Giroud always gives everything but he's just a different kind of striker and having him up front dictates that we play a different way.

We used to be known for performances like yesterday's.

On top of all that, the tenacity and bite in defence was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Is Sanchez up front actually starting to work? I still have my doubts. Cahill and Sideshow Bob weren't much of a test. I'd fear him getting bullied by more imposing CBs. But don't want to detract from a super performance and result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Yesterday was a great win, everything went according to plan and 3 - 0 probably flattered Chelsea a little even though they had 1 or 2 decent chances themselves. Was hoping that we would go to town on them but 3 goals and a clean sheet and the team performance was excellent. Delighted with Walcott's performance and even though I really wanted him gone I hope he can continue his improvement, obviously confidence is a huge thing for him so yesterday would have been a massive help.
    Not trying to be a downbeat or anything but il refrain from the Wenger love in just yet, after all its just one more game and we did school Man Utd last year and stumble afterwards so I wont be getting too carried away.
    The next 4 games are Burnley away, Swansea at home, Boro at home and Sunderland away. There is no reason why we cant be winning all of those which would put us in super shape heading into the NLD on Nov 6th.

I really really hope Coq's injury is not too bad, he's turned out to be a very important player for us and even though we have cover, I would hope he wont be out for too long

Is Sanchez up front actually starting to work? I still have my doubts. Cahill and Sideshow Bob weren't much of a test. I'd fear him getting bullied by more imposing CBs. But don't want to detract from a super performance and result.

We could slice through them with ease, which was kind of strange when they have Kante and Matic there. The problem is when Sanchez gets isolated and comes all the way back to the centre circle looking for the ball.

Can't complain, anyway.

Basil3 wrote: »
    We could slice through them with ease, which was kind of strange when they have Kante and Matic there. The problem is when Sanchez gets isolated and comes all the way back to the centre circle looking for the ball.

Can't complain, anyway.

Matic has gone way back though, he's a shadow of the player he was 2 or 3 seasons ago which is strange. Any team facing into Cahill/Luiz will fancy their chances id say, I didnt realise how much Cahill had regressed till I read a bit of the Chelsea thread, good few over there calling for him to be dropped for ages.
    Thankfully for everyone they brough Luiz back, he must be one of the most over rated players ever, cant defend at all

I think the movement is key.

Goal one: Giroud can't do that.

Goal two: Giroud is standing where Walcott runs. He's not quick enough to break through the defence like that.

Goal three: Giroud doesn't have the pace to link up with Ozil like that.

Sanchez brings everyone into the attack, moves around, makes space for others.

Giroud links up well with others but he's always the focal point and a decent defender can beat him with physicality alone.

gosplan wrote: »

Goal two: Giroud is standing where Walcott runs. He's not quick enough to break through the defence like that.

Giroud links up well with others but he's always the focal point and a decent defender can beat him with physicality alone.

Goal 4: Giroud gets his head on Theo's cross and scores (well, probably not) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Our goal threat disappeared when Giroud came on. It looks like he moves in slow motion.

gosplan wrote: »

It really depends on the opposition, the Chelsea defence suited us yesterday as they were slow and very vulnerable to pacy counter attacks. If we are up against a team hell bent on parking the bus then Sanchez is not the right choice as he gets dispossessed far too easily as he turns in on his right every time, Giroud is better in those sort of games imo.
    Just on your examples of the 3 goals, I agree with them but on the flipside Giroud would most likely have scored the headed chance that Sanchez couldnt get up to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

AdamD wrote: »
    Our goal threat disappeared when Giroud came on. It looks like he moves in slow motion.

He nearly scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

What a performance from the team yesterday, one of the top 3 performances since the move to the Emirates. Every player was excellent, special praise to Iwobi, the kid looks like he be one of our top players in the future. Chelsea helped us with their god awful defending and playing Cesc instead of Oscar. But don't let that take away from a great performance, now lets hope we play like this over the next few months.

On another note, Poor Cesc, he cuts such a forlorn figure these days. When he was one of the best midfielders in world football during his time at Arsenal, now his name wouldn't be anywhere near the mix. Yes he's won league titles and other cups but has he played anywhere near as good at those other clubs or is he as fondly remembered. I seriously do think he regrets leaving us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Best birthday ever.

Theo is really paying back the faith. long may it continue

wonga77 wrote: »
    Matic has gone way back though, he's a shadow of the player he was 2 or 3 seasons ago which is strange. Any team facing into Cahill/Luiz will fancy their chances id say, I didnt realise how much Cahill had regressed till I read a bit of the Chelsea thread, good few over there calling for him to be dropped for ages.
    Thankfully for everyone they brough Luiz back, he must be one of the most over rated players ever, cant defend at all

You could say it for half their team Wonga. I always thought Cahill was overrated, still shocked he got ahead of Kos for team of the year a season or two ago, when Kos had one of his best seasons at Arsenal. Shows you how great a defender and leader Terry is for Chelsea when he makes Cahill look good.

Hazard looks like he wants out of Chelsea to me, has done for a while. Same with Courtois. Kante looks half the player he was at Leicester right now. Cesc just doesn't fit Chelsea style and also looks like he's on the downward spiral. Matic the same, looks like last season with Jose totally took the fight out of him. Even Pedro probably regrets leaving Barcelona now. I think Conte has a harder job on his hands then he was expecting. Only Costa and Willian look bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I totally enjoyed the sh1t out of yesterday, but as I cautioned..... One swallow, does not a summer make.

Certainly very encouraging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Looper007 wrote: »
    On another note, Poor Cesc, he cuts such a forlorn figure these days. When he was one of the best midfielders in world football during his time at Arsenal, now his name wouldn't be anywhere near the mix. Yes he's won league titles and other cups but has he played anywhere near as good at those other clubs or is he as fondly remembered. I seriously do think he regrets leaving us.

Very few players have left Arsenal under wenger to move to bigger teams and have gone on to be better players. Van Persie maintained his standard for about a year and then his career went off a cliff. Henry had one decent season with Barca but was a shadow of the player he was at Arsenal. Vieira was obviously the big one that was never the same. Then you have the likes of Song and Hleb who were complete disasters at Barca.

The interesting thing is I always thought Fabregas would be the exception to this as he was still so young when he left and clearly had all the talent. It just didn't work out for him though. I'm sure if you'd told him when he left for Barca that he'd end up at Chelsea under Mourinho in three years, he might have rethought it.

I was furious when Wenger didn't buy him back as at the time I thought he was twice the player Özil was. Oops, got that one wrong. Although I still might prefer Fabregas at his peak to Özil, he was a more direct player and I felt more likely to dig the team out of a hole when things were going wrong.

Bellerin take note. You should NEVER leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

And let's remember Chelsea finished 10th last season.

Great victory but we need to do that against the big teams more regularly.

Still fuming Liverpool took 3 points from us at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Wenger in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Kostafi- excellent

Very few players have left Arsenal under wenger to move to bigger teams and have gone on to be better players. Van Persie maintained his standard for about a year and then his career went off a cliff. Henry had one decent season with Barca but was a shadow of the player he was at Arsenal. Vieira was obviously the big one that was never the same. Then you have the likes of Song and Hleb who were complete disasters at Barca.

The interesting thing is I always thought Fabregas would be the exception to this as he was still so young when he left and clearly had all the talent. It just didn't work out for him though. I'm sure if you'd told him when he left for Barca that he'd end up at Chelsea under Mourinho in three years, he might have rethought it.

I was furious when Wenger didn't buy him back as at the time I thought he was twice the player Özil was. Oops, got that one wrong. Although I still might prefer Fabregas at his peak to Özil, he was a more direct player and I felt more likely to dig the team out of a hole when things were going wrong.

Bellerin take note. You should NEVER leave.

I'd say Ashley Cole could only say he got better after leaving Arsenal. Even though he won the league for Utd, Van Persie best season was his last for Arsenal imo. Helb even said it was a massive mistake leaving Arsenal.

With Fabregas, I always thought he should have stayed another two or three years before he went back to Barcelona cause he was never taken Xavi or Inestia out of that Barca side. Been played out of the position and Barca fan's love in with him waning, he left with a damp squib. Even though he had a good first half of the season with Chelsea during the title winning season, he's never quite got back to the form that made him at Arsenal. Plus the Chelsea fans haven't taken to him. I think you can see it definitely upsets him when he's booed by Arsenal, although yesterday he got a warmer welcome then in the past probably cause we were winning.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'd say Ashley Cole could only say he got better after leaving Arsenal. Even though he won the league for Utd, Van Persie best season was his last for Arsenal imo. Helb even said it was a massive mistake leaving Arsenal.

With Fabregas, I always thought he should have stayed another two or three years before he went back to Barcelona cause he was never taken Xavi or Inestia out of that Barca side. Been played out of the position and Barca fan's love in with him waning, he left with a damp squib. Even though he had a good first half of the season with Chelsea during the title winning season, he's never quite got back to the form that made him at Arsenal. Plus the Chelsea fans haven't taken to him. I think you can see it definitely upsets him when he's booed by Arsenal, although yesterday he got a warmer welcome then in the past probably cause we were winning.

Wenger is really good at getting the best from certain players though. So is Klopp.

Look at the form or lalana lately, or Milner or firmino or hleb or song etc etc.

I think Fab was better than all of these but perhaps not quite good enough for a starting spot for Barca for life like Xavi.

He has done really well since leaving though. Played a lot and won a lot. Had some amazing seasons (Chelsea's title) but last season and this has been poor.

But since he left he's played more games than he did at Arsenal and won pretty much everything.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a great atmosphere at Chelsea right now though and that he may not be enjoying the game as much.

He had two great clubs, one ditched him and the other wouldn't take him back.

He's had success at Chelsea but it can't have been much fun over the last year or so. Who knows how invested he and the others are in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Got a little emotional watching that.

All i've wanted for a few years now is centre halves who do the bossing of chancers like him.

That was beautiful.

Meanwhile, it still absolutely breaks my heart to see Cesc in that stupid jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well he wasnt in the team until recently. He came back in and scored a goal in the cup to win it for them.....gets his place back and then they get hammered. Frankly I'm pretty sure Conte will be laying into them right now. I would wager he isnt enjoying life all that much. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A lot of players left Arsenal and won things too. Don't forget that.

A lot of players left Arsenal and won things too. Don't forget that.

That tends to happen when you're selling your best players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Basil3 wrote: »
    That tends to happen when you're selling your best players.

Yeah that's true alright, but thankfully it looks like them days are over. However we need Sanchez and Ozil to sign new contracts as soon as they can.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Meanwhile, it still absolutely breaks my heart to see Cesc in that stupid jersey.

Wenger was right not to re-sign him too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

mansize wrote: »

Pffft, Wenger's never right about anything. He even picked the 'wrong' team yesterday we were informed in here before kickoff, like he's picked the wrong one for the last few games.

In an unrelated coincidence that's 4 wins on the bounce, waxy bastard.

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »

I'm still not 100% sure about that.

Would have been worth it to deny Chelsea all the goals he set up for them.

Pffft, Wenger's never right about anything. He even picked the 'wrong' team yesterday we were informed in here before kickoff, like he's picked the wrong one for the last few games.

In an unrelated coincidence that's 4 wins on the bounce, waxy bastard.

He doesn't always get it right as we all well know.
    Many posters have pointed out weaknesses in his teams many times which came back to haunt us.
    Thankfully he did get it right yesterday but he does often end with the team many think should have started.

He doesn't always get it right as we all well know.
    Many posters have pointed out weaknesses in his teams many times which came back to haunt us.
    Thankfully he did get it right yesterday but he does often end with the team many think should have started.

Many also think that Xhaka should have been in the team since the start of the season when it was clear he wasn't ready.

Coquelin was the best player on the pitch before having to go off yesterday.

The way that Wenger approaches football he places a lot responsibility on the players themselves as to what they do on the pitch, as opposed to Mourinho who'll have a big fat folder of notes and instructions for each player for each game.

It's one of his biggest strengths and weaknesses at the same time, responsible for the 49ers and also the 8-2 at Old Trafford. But when he has access to elite players in the transfer market he's never failed to build competitive teams.

He's forgotten more about football since breakfast than 'many posters' will ever know.

Many also think that Xhaka should have been in the team since the start of the season when it was clear he wasn't ready.

Coquelin was the best player on the pitch before having to go off yesterday.

The way that Wenger approaches football he places a lot responsibility on the players themselves as to what they do on the pitch, as opposed to Mourinho who'll have a big fat folder of notes and instructions for each player for each game.

It's one of his biggest strengths and weaknesses at the same time, responsible for the 49ers and also the 8-2 at Old Trafford. But when he has access to elite players in the transfer market he's never failed to build competitive teams.

He's forgotten more about football since breakfast than 'many posters' will ever know.

Yeah he also forgot a lot when they hammered us 6 - 0 two years ago and AFTER the stadium was built.
    He's done well the last 4 games(we played six btw) so we'll leave it at that. The league is over 38 games.

Yeah he also forgot a lot when they hammered us 6 - 0 two years ago and AFTER the stadium was built.
    He's done well the last 4 games(we played six btw) so we'll leave it at that. The league is over 38 games.

Yeah, like i said when he has access to elite players so basically when the sponsership deals got renewed about 3years ago there and he was able to get players like Ozil & Sanchez etc where before he was gambling on the Hleb's & Gervinho's to varying degrees of success. And it takes a while to build a new team, see Utd & Liverpool. See how long it takes before Chelsea are back up there winning titles.

So yeah he does make mistakes and because of the way he goes about it it can backfire spectacularly.

But yeah, you're right. Loads of people here on boards know as much, if not more, about football than Wenger does.

Yeah, like i said when he has access to elite players so basically when the sponsership deals got renewed about 3years ago there and he was able to get players like Ozil & Sanchez etc where before he was gambling on the Hleb's & Gervinho's to varying degrees of success. And it takes a while to build a new team, see Utd & Liverpool. See how long it takes before Chelsea are back up there winning titles.

So yeah he does make mistakes and because of the way he goes about it it can backfire spectacularly.

But yeah, you're right. Loads of people here on boards know as much, if not more, about football than Wenger does.

I failed to find anyone who said that here.
    Many pick the team they believe would win a match.
    If that team was picked maybe they would win and maybe not BUT that's what the forum is all about. It's not about presenting halos to managers after six matches as I said earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

What a stupid part of your post.

Why come on here at all to discuss football if that's your logic? People give there opinion not fact

Wenger has got more right than wrong in his time but with people here having an interest in football and this club discussing, praising and criticising is part of the course

I failed to find anyone who said that here.
    Many pick the team they believe would win a match.
    If that team was picked maybe they would win and maybe not BUT that's what the forum is all about. It's not about presenting halos to managers after six matches as I said earlier.

Well i could be wrong but the "but he does often end with the team many think should have started." line was inferring that Wenger eventually figures out what many on here knew to begin with.

It's not about presenting halo's to anyone, it's about people with no experience of what they're taking about realising that they're talking bollox and winding their necks in just a little bit. :D

Well i could be wrong but the "but he does often end with the team many think should have started." line was inferring that Wenger eventually figures out what many on here knew to begin with.

It's not about presenting halo's to anyone, it's about people with no experience of what they're taking about realising that they're talking bollox and winding their necks in just a little bit. :D

There's only one person talking bollix today.:pac:

Soups123 wrote: »
    What a stupid part of your post.

Why come on here at all to discuss football if that's your logic? People give there opinion not fact

Wenger has got more right than wrong in his time but with people here having an interest in football and this club discussing, praising and criticising is part of the course

Nothing against people discussing football, just talking about the constant negativity, the searching for negatives when there are none.

The hilarious little kiddie tantrums people throw are grand, just the constant bollox that the people who want the team to lose so they can be 'be right' about Wenger that sucks the fun out of the thread.

• Advertisement

There's only one person talking bollix today.:pac:

Great comeback. Touche :D

The stadium wasn't suddenly paid off when it was built!

Winning the FA Cup back to back was a great achievement

Nothing against people discussing football, just talking about the constant negativity, the searching for negatives when there are none.

The hilarious little kiddie tantrums people throw are grand, just the constant bollox that the people who want the team to lose so they can be 'be right' about Wenger that sucks the fun out of the thread.

What a childish post.
    AND you did mention tantrums :pac::pac:

There's only one person talking bollix today.

What a childish post.
    AND you did mention tantrums :pac::pac:

Another zinger!

Your arguments are incredibly well thought out. :D

Another zinger!

Your arguments are incredibly well thought out. :D

You came in here to slate and got ridden. Good try but you lost.

You came in here to slate and got ridden. Good try but you lost.

Ridden by who?

Just enjoy the win and stop creating drama, the hypocrisy of your post calling out negativity by posting negatively.

It's equally annoying the praise Wenger poster who reappears when we hit purple

We won yesterday we are on a good run everyone is happy

The Fed-ex golf is great lads. Enjoy.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Just enjoy the win and stop creating drama, the hypocrisy of your post calling out negativity by posting negatively.

It's equally annoying the praise Wenger poster who reappears when we hit purple

We won yesterday we are on a good run everyone is happy

Over the moon with the performance yesterday, best one i can remember in about a decade.

Cech, Mustafi-Kos, Xhaka/Coq-Cazorla, Ozil, Sanchez is a hell of a bloody spine of players.

• Advertisement

Over the moon with the performance yesterday, best one i can remember in about a decade.

Cech, Mustafi-Kos, Xhaka/Coq-Cazorla, Sanchez is a hell of a bloody spine of players.

Then come in and discuss that instead of calling out pre match opinions.

I thought Xhaka should have started last week but when he played I could see why he didn't, offensively he is better than Coq but positionally and physically he is catching up so I get it why he didn't start Saturday.

The most important change from me came from Wengers mouth, we are men now not boys, also this season you can't pick our team meaning opposition can't plan as easily like prior years

I see a different Arsenal I'm just afraid to believe it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement