Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Soups123 wrote: »
    Then come in and discuss that instead of calling out pre match opinions.

I thought Xhaka should have started last week but when he played I could see why he didn't, offensively he is better than Coq but positionally and physically he is catching up so I get it why he didn't start Saturday.

The most important change from me came from Wengers mouth, we are men now not boys, also this season you can't pick our team meaning opposition can't plan as easily like prior years

I see a different Arsenal I'm just afraid to believe it

The trio of Cech-Mustafi-Koscielny have a lot to do with it i think. Early days yet but it looks like that's 3 big time players in those positions for the first time since Jens & Sol went nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think Mustafi wont be shoved around by anyone, neither will Xhaka, its great to have a few tough nuts back in the teams, the other players feed off it too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The trio of Cech-Mustafi-Koscielny have a lot to do with it i think. Early days yet but it looks like that's 3 big time players in those positions for the first time since Jens & Sol went nuts.

Early signs are good, he seems the ideal partner for Kos. The bullying of Costa yesterday was pre planned consistent and partnered I have seen that since Keown and Adams

wonga77 wrote: »
    I think Mustafi wont be shoved around by anyone, neither will Xhaka, its great to have a few tough nuts back in the teams, the other players feed off it too

Looks like he enjoys a sliding tackle, haven't had one of those in the team for a while.

Many also think that Xhaka should have been in the team since the start of the season when it was clear he wasn't ready.

Coquelin was the best player on the pitch before having to go off yesterday.

The way that Wenger approaches football he places a lot responsibility on the players themselves as to what they do on the pitch, as opposed to Mourinho who'll have a big fat folder of notes and instructions for each player for each game.

It's one of his biggest strengths and weaknesses at the same time, responsible for the 49ers and also the 8-2 at Old Trafford. But when he has access to elite players in the transfer market he's never failed to build competitive teams.

He's forgotten more about football since breakfast than 'many posters' will ever know.

There's so much bollox in this post, I don't know where to start.

I'll just single out the fact that you agree Wenger has no tactical instructions for his most gifted players who he has shown time and again, look like they are allowed to play their natural game, and if that includes losing the ball and conserving energy by not tracking back with urgency, so be it.
    Wenger can assemble a masterful squad of players who can do a lot with little instruction, but he's no master tactician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'll just single out the fact that you agree Wenger has no tactical instructions for his most gifted players who he has shown time and again, look like they are allowed to play their natural game, and if that includes losing the ball and conserving energy by not tracking back with urgency, so be it.
    Wenger can assemble a masterful squad of players who can do a lot with little instruction, but he's no master tactician.

But your opinion is worthless don't you know, Wenger has forgotten more about football since breakfast than you'll ever know! ;)

I don't agree with that, there's clearly tactical instruction.

But it comes with more individual flexibility than the fine detail rigid approach Mourinho favours. Tony Adams often spoke about the extra freedom Wenger gave him and thought it made him a better player.

The idea that Wenger gives no tactical instruction is bollox imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I think the last statement is bs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'm still on an absolute high after yesterday.

What a performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Winning the league will probably depend on how we do against the teams also challenging for honours i.e. Liverpool, City, United, Chelsea and Spurs.
    We have been doing better against the top teams in the last 2/3 years.
    So far we have beaten Chelsea at home and lost to Liverpool at home. I don't rate Leicester, last year was a one-off. We can probably beat Spurs, United at home. I'm not sure about City.

Our away matches against the above will determine how we do i feel.

• Advertisement

Winning the league will probably depend on how we do against the teams also challenging for honours i.e. Liverpool, City, United, Chelsea and Spurs.
    We have been doing better against the top teams in the last 2/3 years.
    So far we have beaten Chelsea at home and lost to Liverpool at home. I don't rate Leicester, last year was a one-off. We can probably beat Spurs, United at home. I'm not sure about City.

Our away matches against the above will determine how we do i feel.

City definitely suffer when de Bruyne is injured, and I see he went off injured yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Personally I think we have a better chance at the Champions Lgs this year than the Prem Lge. I think City are still a step ahead of us. Maybe next year we can bridge that gap, although it is still early days yet.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Personally I think we have a better chance at the Champions Lgs this year than the Prem Lge. I think City are still a step ahead of us. Maybe next year we can bridge that gap, although it is still early days yet.

Id refuse to buy into the notion that there is a massive gulf between us and City. We have bought well. Mustafi and Kos (Kostavi) have clicked in no length of time. Xhaka and Elneny have been a breath of fresh air. Theo has improved. Sanchez is flying as is Ozil. I did get frustrated at how Wenger took his time in making those signings but he has got them and now we have a real bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Gringo180 wrote: »

If City are a step ahead of us then what does that make Bayern, Barca, Juventus etc? We've a far better chance of winning the league than winning the CL any time soon.

Basil3 wrote: »
    City definitely suffer when de Bruyne is injured, and I see he went off injured yesterday.

He's out for at least 4 weeks.

Id refuse to buy into the notion that there is a massive gulf between us and City. We have bought well. Mustafi and Kos (Kostavi) have clicked in no length of time. Xhaka and Elneny have been a breath of fresh air. Theo has improved. Sanchez is flying as is Ozil. I did get frustrated at how Wenger took his time in making those signings but he has got them and now we have a real bench.

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    If City are a step ahead of us then what does that make Bayern, Barca, Juventus etc? We've a far better chance of winning the league than winning the CL any time soon.

I think City are a much more cohesive team with Pep in charge. Besides its harder to compete with them over 38 games than say if we met the teams you mentioned above over 2 legs in a Champs lge knockout stage. I think Barca are over hyped a bit. I can see City topping there group ahead of them.

Just enjoy the win and stop creating drama, the hypocrisy of your post calling out negativity by posting negatively.

It's equally annoying the praise Wenger poster who reappears when we hit purple

We won yesterday we are on a good run everyone is happy

When e do badly the anti Wenger crew crank it up

Wenger deserves his praise.

People here have been proven wrong by slating his team selection.

Wenger knows his players best, he sees them in training is know inside out their fitness levels, and I back him 100% on resting the Euro players.

mansize wrote: »
    When e do badly the anti Wenger crew crank it up

Wenger deserves his praise.

People here have been proven wrong by slating his team selection.

Wenger knows his players best, he sees them in training is know inside out their fitness levels, and I back him 100% on resting the Euro players.

AND when we do well the pro-Wenger side appear in their droves.
    It's even Steven here anyway.
    Nobody wants us to lose and it's natural to find fault when we lose.
    I praised Wenger after the match yesterday but when we lose I will blame whatever i think was the cause of the loss. This is a forum for doing both.

AND when we do well the pro-Wenger side appear in their droves.
    It's even Steven here anyway.
    Nobody wants us to lose and it's natural to find fault when we lose.
    I praised Wenger after the match yesterday but when we lose I will blame whatever i think was the cause of the loss. This is a forum for doing both.

Yes and people are able to say that the thinking is flawed and give their reasons why.

The poster was effectively being told to shut up!

• Advertisement

Yes and people are able to say that the thinking is flawed and give their reasons why.

The poster was effectively being told to shut up!

No poster was told to shut up on this thread.
    Where did you see that?

No poster was told to shut up on this thread.
    Where did you see that?

The first line, but plenty here think they can get away with cheap nasty digs and dictating the postings on the thread - I said effectively

Back seat modding alive and well!
    Just enjoy the win and stop creating drama, the hypocrisy of your post calling out negativity by posting negatively.

The first line, but plenty here think they can get away with cheap nasty digs and dictating the postings on the thread - I said effectively

And the reason for that was because the poster was disrespectful to other posters.
    Pity you didn't see or respond to that.

There's only one person talking bollix today.:pac:

Would that it were on this thread

like boards its about 99% Bollix talk, none of us are in a position to validly criticise anyone in professional football tbf

And the reason for that was because the poster was disrespectful to other posters.

What you do there is report the poster, not call them out.

Would that it were on this thread

like boards its about 99% Bollix talk, none of us are in a position to validly criticise anyone in professional football tbf

And that was in response to?
    You seem to only see one side funnily enough.

Burnley next week, while City have Spurs.

Looking forward to it already!

And that was in response to?
    You seem to only see one side funnily enough.

99% is pretty much all sides! I included the 1% to allow for margin of error, perhaps I was being too generous! :D

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Burnley next week, while City have Spurs.

Looking forward to it already!

Come on Citeh!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Mustafi and Kos have come up against the hardest striker in the league to defend against and they had him in their pockets. They totally dominated the situation, start to finish.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Mustafi and Kos have come up against the hardest striker in the league to defend against and they had him in their pockets. They totally dominated the situation, start to finish.

I get a twitch every time I hear that expression :pac:

We are away to Burnley.
    They beat Liverpool and are no mugs.
    We must treat this game with caution. No use beating Chelsea if we drop points to Burnley.

Disrespectful how?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    going to a bet on each arsenal match now until the end of the season & what the profit/loss is.

chelsea goals over 1.5 @ 2.25

L

Disrespectful how?

By saying that people who gave their opinions were talking bollix.

• Advertisement

after his post was called Stupid.

We are away to Burnley.
    They beat Liverpool and are no mugs.
    We must treat this game with caution. No use beating Chelsea if we drop points to Burnley.

Dead right. But if we don't act the eejit, we should do alright there.

I'll use 'completely wrong' next time to avoid hurt feelings.

I'll use 'completely wrong' next time to avoid hurt feelings.

Yes there are less aggressive ways of doing the same thing.

Would you get out of it seriously. There's nothing cheap and nasty in my post.

• Advertisement

Would you get out of it seriously. There's nothing cheap and nasty in my post.

I never said there was, read my post again.

So how good are people expecting Basel to be?

They've won 9 out of 9 in the league and have a 13 point lead but drew 1-1 with Ludogorets at home in the first match.

A chance to rotate a few or go with the same team again to pick up 3 important points?

So how good are people expecting Basel to be?

They've won 9 out of 9 in the league and have a 13 point lead but drew 1-1 with Ludogorets at home in the first match.

A chance to rotate a few or go with the same team again to pick up 3 important points?

If we don't win, I will be quite irate

I never said there was, read my post again.

I did you refer to cheap and nasty and quote me whilst also laying a claim of back seat modding, that's pathetic carry on

I did you refer to cheap and nasty and quote me whilst also laying a claim of back seat modding, that's pathetic carry on

I never said that was cheap and nasty.

Calling my behaviour pathetic now...

Jesus wept, i said your post calling me out for back seat modding was pathetic, I'm done here

Delighted we didnt get Steptoe now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Having a read of the last page or so.... it pretty much is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Wtf is this thread? Lads we just smashed Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Seriously, get over it people.

Less of the 'see, I told you so' after match posts from pro- or anti-Wenger people would help.

You're not right just cause we won or wrong just cause we lost.

Anyone arguing it into a Sunday night is clearly a passionate supporter so just give each other a break and get on with enjoying a good spell.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement