Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

And do you think they will be of the class we need?

I'd like to think if we sign an attacker, they are at least the level of Giroud. Defender at least the level of Mert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Lots of rumblings on Twitter that talks on Mustafi resumed today with the player already keen to join and agreed personal terms.

I know, it's more than likely Twitter b****cks but it's something... Right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    I'd like to think if we sign an attacker, they are at least the level of Giroud. Defender at least the level of Mert.

We won't BUT if we were serious then we would sign upgrades on both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

And do you think they will be of the class we need?

I think that's a ridiculously tough question and there'll always be an argument about it.

Pretty much now regardless of who we get it'll be 'should have gotten Lacazette, he's world class'.

But he's not still at Lyon by coincidence. He's clearly in that second tier of players where Giroud also resides. I imagine Wenger's thinking is that if it costs 70 million and 10 million a year in wages to get him, you're better off going a bit lower and not landing yourself with a player you can't afford to replace if things don't go so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

emmetlego wrote: »
    Lots of rumblings on Twitter that talks on Mustafi resumed today with the player already keen to join and agreed personal terms.

I know, it's more than likely Twitter b****cks but it's something... Right?

Apparently Dick Law has been over there since the the weekend. Twisting people's arms over the board room table?. Or perhaps on the beach in Benidorm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The way the market is gone

Getting elneny and holding for what we did, is going to go down as some bit of business

[QUOTE=gosplan;100777002]I think that's a ridiculously tough question and there'll always be an argument about it.

Pretty much now regardless of who we get it'll be 'should have gotten Lacazette, he's world class'.

But he's not still at Lyon by coincidence. He's clearly in that second tier of players where Giroud also resides. I imagine Wenger's thinking is that if it costs 70 million and 10 million a year in wages to get him, you're better off going a bit lower and not landing yourself with a player you can't afford to replace if things don't go so well.[/QUOTE]

Did he not try to sign Suarez a few years ago or was that all just bluff?

The way the market is gone

Getting elneny and holding for what we did, is going to go down as some bit of business

Both of them were good signings but for the future imo. Both young and learning.
    Any word on the progress of Biliek?

Both of them were good signings but for the future imo. Both young and learning.
    Any word on the progress of Biliek?

Watched Bielek twice this pre season, he has bulked up incredibly, and played not in a DM roll, but as a CB. He was quite good against poor enough opposition. I think I remember him being signed as a DM.

• Advertisement

Did he not try to sign Suarez a few years ago or was that all just bluff?

Sorry, I don't get your point Tayto.

Yes though, he did try to sign Suarez.

gosplan wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't get your point Tayto.

Yes though, he did try to sign Suarez.

Probably because Suarez was an upgrade.
    Lacazette might not be an upgrade but he is on a par scoring-wise but a different kind of striker. It could work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Why do we always leave signing someone until last minute :/ be surprised if he brings someone in before deadline day , used to look forward to waking up and googling "arsenal transfer news" havnt done it in about a week now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Why do we always leave signing someone until last minute :/ be surprised if he brings someone in before deadline day , used to look forward to waking up and googling "arsenal transfer news" havnt done it in about a week now :D

Well apart from Granit Xhaka of course!

Probably because Suarez was an upgrade.
    Lacazette might not be an upgrade but he is on a par scoring-wise but a different kind of striker. It could work.

I would actually do backflips with joy if we signed Lacazette.

But I can see Wenger with his prudent approach think 'If I can only sign one striker in the next few years for 70 million, do I want it to be this guy?'

Essentially, I think they want an Henry and Lacazette would be settling for a Wiltord.

Personally, I'd love a Wiltord right now. Sign him the fcuk up.

Plus I think what Wenger's plan ignores is that we won't be able to sign an Henry. Sure you can point to Ozil and say you need to be in a position to strike while the iron is hot but the Ozil signing was the exception to the rule. Players like that do not join clubs like Arsenal.

The influx of silly money has changed everything as regards transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

We surely have to sign some sort of decent striker? Even Wilfried Bony would be better than what we have as an alternative to Giroud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

gosplan wrote: »
    I would actually do backflips with joy if we signed Lacazette.

But I can see Wenger with his prudent approach think 'If I can only sign one striker in the next few years for 70 million, do I want it to be this guy?'

Essentially, I think they want an Henry and Lacazette would be settling for a Wiltord.

Personally, I'd love a Wiltord right now. Sign him the fcuk up.

Plus I think what Wenger's plan ignores is that we won't be able to sign an Henry. Sure you can point to Ozil and say you need to be in a position to strike while the iron is hot but the Ozil signing was the exception to the rule. Players like that do not join clubs like Arsenal.

The influx of silly money has changed everything as regards transfers.

If we were contemplating signing a Lacazette type signing for 70 million how much was Aubemyangs rumoured release clause - 70 -80 million?

Unfortunately I can't see us breaking the existing record for Ozil's transfer. Actually think we could end up with someone like Bony but I dearly hope not.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    If we were contemplating signing a Lacazette type signing for 70 million how much was Aubemyangs rumoured release clause - 70 -80 million?

Unfortunately I can't see us breaking the existing record for Ozil's transfer. Actually think we could end up with someone like Bony but I dearly hope not.

he went downhill at City but was a 1 in 2 scorer with Swansea. If we can get him back to that level he would be a worthwhile addition. I can see him joining if we don't get anyone better by deadline day.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    We surely have to sign some sort of decent striker? Even Wilfried Bony would be better than what we have as an alternative to Giroud.

Someone will come. I'd bet on a cheap enough continental option because we can't find the striker they want. Don't think Wenger would pay the Premier league premium for a backup player.

I think the only way we come out with a world class option is if he goes for a winger and sticks with Alexis up front as the Giroud alternative.

Payet would make more sense to me than someone like Bony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

So can anyone tell me why wenger has got rid of Cambpell?

And how we are failing to sign that German CB from valencia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,507 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Because he simply doesn't fancy Campbell. Much better alternative to some of our first team players at the moment .

• Advertisement

Because he simply doesn't fancy Campbell. Much better alternative to some of our first team players at the moment .
    Like who?

Iwobi? his unproven and not as good as Campbell. Id say Cambell is ahead or on par with walcott and Ox

i cant believe it. everyone here glad campbells gone? Iwobi ox and walcott both better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

i cant believe it. everyone here glad campbells gone? Iwobi ox and walcott both better?

Do you have anything at all to even suggest 1 person is glad Campbell is gone nevermind everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Seems just being linked with Arsenal is enough for the injury curse to kick in

Former Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez will miss the start of the Bundesliga season after breaking his hand in an accident at home.

Bayer Leverkusen confirmed that the 28-year-old required surgery after falling down a flight of stairs.

Hernandez will now miss Saturday’s match at Borussia Mönchengladbach and has been ruled out for two weeks,

“‘Chicharito’ suffered a fractured right hand falling down the stairs in his flat last night,” Leverkusen said in a statement.

“Hernandez was successfully operated on this morning.”

Leverkusen captain Lars Bender will also miss the start of the campaign after picking up an ankle injury playing for Germany in the men’s final of the Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games last Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm disgusted that Campbell is gone out on loan and Walcott remains. Campbell showed some good skills and heart and determination.

Walcott disappears too many times during games. Walcott should have been sold off this summer but yet he hangs around like a bad smell!

gandalf wrote: »
    I'm disgusted that Campbell is gone out on loan and Walcott remains. Campbell showed some good skills and heart and determination.

Walcott disappears too many times during games. Walcott should have been sold off this summer but yet he hangs around like a bad smell!

Of all the things that disgust me with my club at the moment, this is low enough on the scale. His wages are too high for other clubs to want him, and yes, he may actually rediscover his pre-injury form and we'll be kicking ourselves if he did that! Not that I want him kept by the way, just explaining the flip side.

On Joel, it's been obvious for some time that AW does not rate him as high as a lot of the fans do. I'd have him ahead of Theo and Alex on current form, but the other 2 have more "potential" to go better, one would think. Time will tell.

Just to reaffirm, I'd have kept Joel and loaned out Theo or Alex, even if it meant subsidising their wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I actually think that Theo and the other under performing players would suddenly improve under a hungrier more aggressive manager. Someone like Diego Simeone for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

gandalf wrote: »
    I actually think that Theo and the other under performing players would suddenly improve under a hungrier more aggressive manager. Someone like Diego Simeone for example.

Then send him off to bleedin Athletico!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Then send him off to bleedin Athletico!

He'd just about get his game for the ladies team.

• Advertisement

Gnabry's performance at the Olympics probably caused Campbell's departure. TBH aside the occasional decent performance I don't think he's done anything to show that he's better than Walcott

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hmm... I guess Szczesny's gaff today settles whether he's ever going to come back to us. Hilarious stuff.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Hmm... I guess Szczesny's gaff today settles whether he's ever going to come back to us. Hilarious stuff.

I'll miss him, for the entertainment value alone! Roma were chasing the game and had left a huge gap in front of him! Terrible decision making all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I'll miss him, for the entertainment value alone! Roma were chasing the game and had left a huge gap in front of him! Terrible decision making all the same.
    I think they were down to 9 men at that stage though

I think they were down to 9 men at that stage though

Now that Roma are out, wonder whether we'd have any joy with a bid for Manolas. We had a scout there tonight...

greendom wrote: »
    Now that Roma are out, wonder whether we'd have any joy with a bid for Manolas. We had a scout there tonight...

Cup tied?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

so seen where intrested in James Rodriguez , cant see wenger splashing out £55.9 million to £60.2 million when we need defenders or strikers more so .

Also Ospina has been chatting to Rodriguez, who is banging the keeper's sister Daniela, to convince him to join us.

Cup tied?

probably - do the qualifiers count?

They used to anyway. Unless there was a rule change

• Advertisement

so seen where intrested in James Rodriguez , cant see wenger splashing out £55.9 million to £60.2 million when we need defenders or strikers more so .

Also Ospina has been chatting to Rodriguez, who is banging the keeper's sister Daniela, to convince him to join us.

Yeah, he's good. But not jaw dropping. Had one great international tournament, and has been in/out of Madrid's team since. Not convinced anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They used to anyway. Unless there was a rule change

UEFA say it's ok
    UEFA wrote:
    A player who has been fielded in the first, second, third qualifying round or the play-offs of the Uefa Champions League or Uefa Europa League is entitled to play in the Uefa Champions League or Uefa Europa League for another club as from the group stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Qualifiers don't count anymore not as if we'd be in for him anyway

Yeah, he's good. But not jaw dropping. Had one great international tournament, and has been in/out of Madrid's team since. Not convinced anyway.
    he's not an out and out attacker which is what we really need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

We're realy not though. It's just that he is out of favour with Madrid and the papers/ITK's see that we are looking for an attacking player, therefore we are now interested in him.

I saw something about Lewandowski being unsettled recently and posted this on the 6th of August in the old thread.
    farna_boy wrote:
    Since we have now descended as usual to Bs mumblings with no sources and even less hope or likelihood, I reckon we are going for Muller and Lewandowski as a backup.

Actually possibly both, Muller to play on the right, Lewandowski through the centre.

Three days later on the 9th of August j14 posted:
    j14 wrote:
    So supposedly this #Madness that we are all waiting on is us to bid for Lewandowski. He's looking for a new contract at Munich but they are refusing to pay him the sky high wages that he's demanding. I really can't see us pulling this one off. Surely he would have his pick of clubs...if that's the case I don't see how we would get him.

It really all is bull****. I can't remember the last genuine rumour that I would believe at this stage (about an attacking player).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

• Advertisement

Great start to my day, thanks for that :pac:

Do you have anything at all to even suggest 1 person is glad Campbell is gone nevermind everyone?

So are we all on the same boat thinking wenger is wrong to offload him?

You know if Blogs is vocal about this, it means a lot. Kroenke is poison though.

So are we all on the same boat thinking wenger is wrong to offload him?

I think fans over-estimate his capabilities a bit. I like him but think the 2 English lads are capable of more than he is (even if they often don't deliver). Both being home grown also gives them an edge so I'm not too sad to let him go.

I actually think that Gnabry is the player who has taken his place anyway. Who would you rather - Joel or Serge? I thought Gnabry looked very promising a couple of years back. He's been in the wilderness a bit with Pulis and injury but from looking at his performances in the Olympics, I really think he could have a huge impact this season.

You know if Blogs is vocal about this, it means a lot. Kroenke is poison though.

It's still all Wenger IMO.

I'm sure Kronke is perfectly happy with this financial prudence but seriously, anyone think that Wenger would allow himself to become some yes man covering up for the owner?

Like do we think that he's refusing Wenger the budget he wants?

The guy can't find a single attacker he wants. Budget has nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement