Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

It feels strange not to be involved in the bickering for once :pac:

I'm a fan of Mustafi, bout time Koscielny got a competent partner at the back. The hardest part of this season will be squad selection, I don't envy Wenger and although I didn't agree with most his starting XI's so far he's doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Havent seen so many petty arguments since a certain person left............ twice

Anyway, fantastic performance and result. I was one of the many doubters this season and really wanted Wenger out but the last few weeks have been excellent.

We played a similar sort of game at home to United last season and performances dropped after. Wenger has to really make sure that doesnt happen as you can be damn sure Pep wont let City drop at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

ronjo wrote: »
    Havent seen so many petty arguments since a certain person left............ twice

Anyway, fantastic performance and result. I was one of the many doubters this season and really wanted Wenger out but the last few weeks have been excellent.

We played a similar sort of game at home to United last season and performances dropped after. Wenger has to really make sure that doesnt happen as you can be damn sure Pep wont let City drop at all.

That's it. There will be much tougher tests, city and united with Jose.

We need to keep that intensity up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

ronjo wrote: »
    Some people never really leave ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

JustTheOne wrote: »
    That's it. There will be much tougher tests, city and united with Jose.

We need to keep that intensity up.

True, so good to get that Chelsea monkey of our backs though.

Mourinho and United - how good would it be if we could get the better of that combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

greendom wrote: »

Mourinho and United - how good would it be if we could get the better of that combination.
    At this stage, it's more of an orangutan, but yes, it would be just wonderful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

great game at the weekend bar the injury of Coquelin. Just hope he recovers quickly as games are coming in thick and fast. Busy schedule ahead but it's good we have depth this time! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

5star02707 wrote: »
    great game at the weekend bar the injury of Coquelin. Just hope he recovers quickly as games are coming in thick and fast. Busy schedule ahead but it's good we have depth this time! :D

Ramsey's injury seems to be taking it's time healing too.
    With Coq now out for a few weeks we certainly don't need another injury despite our strength in depth. We are now left with Cazorla, Xhaka and Elneny to fill two places.
    In front of them Ozil won't play every game either so we don't need more injuries to disrupt the flow. His role is vital and we don't have anyone capable of filling in for him to the same level.

Ramsey's injury seems to be taking it's time healing too.
    With Coq now out for a few weeks we certainly don't need another injury despite our strength in depth. We are now left with Cazorla, Xhaka and Elneny to fill two places.
    In front of them Ozil won't play every game either so we don't need more injuries to disrupt the flow. His role is vital and we don't have anyone capable of filling in for him to the same level.

I'm not disputing your point but I really like when Cazorla plays in the attacking role, with Elneny and Xhaka behind him I think we'd be alright, I still think sending Wilshere on loan was a mistake.

• Advertisement

I'm not disputing your point but I really like when Cazorla plays in the attacking role, with Elneny and Xhaka behind him I think we'd be alright, I still think sending Wilshere on loan was a mistake.

My problem with that is that Cazorla seems to give the ball away a lot and that would not be good in that part of the field (its not really good anywhere tbh but happens). I think Sanchez could also play there but would and does often lose possession. Ozil rarely loses it there.

I also agree that we should have kept Jack but we would have too many with a fully fit squad and people would get fed up sitting on the bench if they even got there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He has to play. if he is ever to become a player for a top team, he needs a solid season. loan was the right move.

I think Wilshere on loan was the right move.

I think Wilshere on loan was the right move.

Will do him good no doubt but i would have probably have preferred if Ox had to be sent out.

My problem with that is that Cazorla seems to give the ball away a lot and that would not be good in that part of the field (its not really good anywhere tbh but happens). I think Sanchez could also play there but would and does often lose possession. Ozil rarely loses it there.

I also agree that we should have kept Jack but we would have too many with a fully fit squad and people would get fed up sitting on the bench if they even got there.

Yeah it's a tough one though because there's never a point where everyone is fully fit. Coq and Ramsey down at the minute if anything at all happens to Xhaka Elneny Caz or Ozil then we have no cover for CM with Wilshere out on loan.

I understand Jack needs 1st team football but I'd rather have him right now than not, I'd personally start him ahead of most.

Will do him good no doubt but i would have probably have preferred if Ox had to be sent out.

Absolutely if you asking me would Ox go before Jack, I would totally agree.
    Still a good move for Jack though development wise

• Advertisement

Absolutely if you asking me would Ox go before Jack, I would totally agree.
    Still a good move for Jack though development wise

Some of us would probably have sent Theo out too and be eating our words since if he was playing as well as he is now for some other team :eek:

Some of us would probably have sent Theo out too and be eating our words since if he was playing as well as he is now for some other team :eek:

Possibly but Theo might have a fair few mares this season to justify it.
    He's so hot and cold in the past, he has his fans and haters.

Possibly but Theo might have a fair few mares this season to justify it.
    He's so hot and cold in the past, he has his fans and haters.

I'm definitely a hater but you can see he's trying way harder this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I'm definitely a hater but you can see he's trying way harder this year.

I couldn't believe it when I saw him doing a bit of defending on Saturday

It's pretty clear we had loads of midfielders and not a vast array of options on the wing, so I don't really know why people would say Ox should go out instead of Jack. Surely Jack occasionally 'doing a job' on the wing isn't good for anyone?

• Advertisement

marvin80 wrote: »
    I couldn't believe it when I saw him doing a bit of defending on Saturday

He's actually "like a new player".

What caused the change?

1. New contract talks due?
    2. Serious talking to by the manager?
    3. Competition for his place?
    4. He believes this is our year with our good full squad?
    5. Something else?

Basil3 wrote: »
    It's pretty clear we had loads of midfielders and not a vast array of options on the wing, so I don't really know why people would say Ox should go out instead of Jack. Surely Jack occasionally 'doing a job' on the wing isn't good for anyone?

Indeed but there is plenty of competition for the wing too - Perez, Sanchez, Ox and Theo. Zelalem could play there too.

What caused the change?

5. Something else?
    According to Wenger it was the kick in the balls he felt by being dropped from the England Euros squad

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Would much rather have Jack as an option for the wing roles than Ox as things stand, but that's not how it is so hopefully Ox can find some form. He's going to have a tough time getting back into the team though now that Iwobi has emerged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Jack on loan was good - better players ahead of him in CM

Walcott has had a big improvement this season, he owes Wenger that for the faith he placed in him

Cazorla Sanchez far more creative than Ox - he has disappointed

I'm more upset about losing Gnabry than I am about Jack going on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

How has Wilshere being doing on loan? Havent really kept tabs on Bournemouth this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

He's only played a couple of games, poor enough against City and better against Everton.

They're looking to give him a full 90mins sometime in the next few games.

So it takes Walcott being dropped by England, to make him play to his full potential?

That is a damning indictment on his character! He's paid 100's of thousands a week, but wasn't trying his hardest??

emmetlego wrote: »
    So it takes Walcott being dropped by England, to make him play to his full potential?

That is a damning indictment on his character! He's paid 100's of thousands a week, but wasn't trying his hardest??

Not exactly.

It's pretty clear that Theo is a confidence player, and last season his confidence was seriously down. Nothing would go right for him. Even when players work hard, and things keep going wrong, it's very hard to keep pushing.

I think a summer of soul searching, along with a preseason where he managed to get a bit of form back really helped him to get his confidence back. It's because he's got his confidence back that he's working so hard.

• Advertisement

Not exactly.

It's pretty clear that Theo is a confidence player, and last season his confidence was seriously down. Nothing would go right for him. Even when players work hard, and things keep going wrong, it's very hard to keep pushing.

I think a summer of soul searching, along with a preseason where he managed to get a bit of form back really helped him to get his confidence back. It's because he's got his confidence back that he's working so hard.

Disagree fully. Especially with the bolded bit. He wasn't working hard, he was jumping out of tackles etc. That's not a confidence thing at all. That's just poor mentality.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Disagree fully. Especially with the bolded bit. He wasn't working hard, he was jumping out of tackles etc. That's not a confidence thing at all. That's just poor mentality.

As a result of a major injury the season before. I'm still mentally affected by my ACL reconstruction from almost 20 years ago...it's often in the back of my mind when playing sports. I can completely relate to avoiding contact after something like that. Anyway....

As a result of a major injury the season before. I'm still mentally affected by my ACL reconstruction from almost 20 years ago...it's often in the back of my mind when playing sports. I can completely relate to avoiding contact after something like that. Anyway....

With respect, I'm pretty sure you weren't being paid 120k per week, and I'm pretty sure you didn't have a team of sports shrinks working with you.

Let's move on, it's clear we don't agree on this!

We will agree on his current form is some of his career best so far. Long may it last.

If Theo keeps up this good form it will be a correct decision by Wenger that I questioned- holding onto Walcott

mansize wrote: »
    If Theo keeps up this good form it will be a correct decision by Wenger that I questioned- holding onto Walcott

It would indeed and it would be great if he does. Hopefully he will..

It however wouldn't explain why Theo was allowed to get away with very poor performances for ages and why he was selected then.

Anyone know if we're on T.V. this week.
    Fed up of streams breaking down.

Anyone know if we're on T.V. this week.
    Fed up of streams breaking down.

We're on BT this week, PM me if you're ever having em... personal issues.

Ooohhhh you are awful but i like you :pac::D

It would indeed and it would be great if he does. Hopefully he will..

It however wouldn't explain why Theo was allowed to get away with very poor performances for ages and why he was selected then.

Theo was in poor form last season, and wasn't really played much. He played half the minutes of Giroud or Sanchez.

• Advertisement

Theo was in poor form last season, and wasn't really played much. He played half the minutes of Giroud or Sanchez.

And didn't play anywhere half as well as they did.

Anyway he's playing well now which is what matters.

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

"According to L'Équipe, Francis Coquelin's injury isn't too serious & he should be back in 15 days."

Brilliant news if true.

x PyRo wrote: »
    "According to L'Équipe, Francis Coquelin's injury isn't too serious & he should be back in 15 days."

Brilliant news if true.

It is. What I hope is he won't automatically get back in the squad, which would indicate Xhaka and Elneny are well able to perform.
    This is the sort of squad competition we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think we will see more of Jeff this season

Hopefully he can do what iwobi and bellerin done before him

I pay for BT for my dad so I get to watch it online.

I know Eir Broadband customers get it for free now so contact them if you are with Eir Broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What caused the change?

5. Something else?

Career petering out including getting dropped from England?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    Career petering out including getting dropped from England?

I think he just took a long time to recover from the last injury. Both physically but especially mentally. So long that half our fan base had given up on him. Glad Arsene didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think he just took a long time to recover from the last injury. Both physically but especially mentally. So long that half our fan base had given up on him. Glad Arsene didn't.

Probably but he's showing a tenacity he never displayed before.

That wouldn't explain it.
    Every player who recovers doesn't shun tackles in one match and then tackle back like he did on Sat.

I think Wenger or the players had a go at him or the fact that he was dropped from the England squad as others have said. The change was too sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Hope one of you might be able to help me out trying to sign up to be a red member on Arsenal.com but when it comes to payment by direct debit it won't accept my bank's details. Any help would be appreciated.

That wouldn't explain it.
    Every player who recovers doesn't shun tackles in one match and then tackle back like he did on Sat.

I think Wenger or the players had a go at him or the fact that he was dropped from the England squad as others have said. The change was too sudden.

The change occurred over the summer and throughout preseason. I was watching.

It wasn't like he was jumping out of tackles one match, then flying around like a madman the next.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement