Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

wawaman wrote: »

I love that the voice over talks about "World Class Players" while Gibbs comes up in the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Id imagine Perez will start tonight? Really enjoyed watching him against forest it'd be interesting to see how he handles Basel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Ospina
    Bellerin-Kosc-Mustafi-Monreal
    Xhaka-Santi
    Ozil
    Walcott-Perez-Sanchez

Hopefully :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't think tonight will be a walk over - i think we will win but Basel have done very well against English opposition recently.

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Ospina
    Bellerin-Kosc-Mustafi-Monreal
    Xhaka-Santi
    Ozil
    Walcott-Perez-Sanchez

Hopefully :)

Be a shame for Iwobi to miss out after playing so well recently but it does show the strength of the squad in midfield particularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The idea of Arsene managing England makes me feel sick.

Not because it's England - good luck to them, they bleedin need it - but those c*nting tabloid scumbags would do their thing to a great man. I couldn't handle that.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The idea of Arsene managing England makes me feel sick.

Not because it's England - good luck to them, they bleedin need it - but those c*nting tabloid scumbags would do their thing to a great man. I couldn't handle that.

Slightly ot here.
    The English tabloids are a really crass and vile bunch. There is no level they wont stoop to get their own way.

Sam Allardyce was an idiot make no mistake to fall for that one, but the actions of the English media certainly weren't motivated by a question of ethics and morals. They didnt want Sam as manager so they done whatever it took to get him out.

Graham Taylor is a decent man whether you agree with him or not and so is Roy Hodgson. The scathing insults they received were a sheer and utter disgrace and i dont buy into this thinking that this bull should be part and parcel of the English job. They are human beings. Yes they know what they are getting into but its still no excuse.

Arsene received criticism from all quarters for some decisions and policies he took at Arsenal and i would be critical of some decisions he took but certainly not to the point of confronting him pitch side or in a train station. Imagine if he got the England job? This kind of carry on would magnify by a few millon.

Scudetto winners, European Cup winners.....they've all tried and failed in that poison chalice. Really hope Wenger isnt added to the list. He is too decent a man for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I know a couple, seriously. Constantly go on about Groundhog Day and use the word 'dithering' a lot.

a lot of people talk about Groundhog day and dithering.

But you're wrong if you think they would take fourth over a league win.

that's creating a totally unreal type of person.

People are anti-Wenger because they perceive it to be groundhog day.

Winning the league will obviously end that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Away kit tonight. Playing at home :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

gosplan wrote: »
    a lot of people talk about Groundhog day and dithering.

But you're wrong if you think they would take fourth over a league win.

that's creating a totally unreal type of person.

People are anti-Wenger because they perceive it to be groundhog day.

Winning the league will obviously end that.

The people i'm talking about didn't want Arsenal to win the league last year, their reasoning being it would be a league title win in a poor season qualitywise and that it would then lead to Wenger getting a new contract and Arsenal not being able to compete with Pep's City & Utd/Chelsea when they sort their **** out.

I don't know their views on Arsenal winning the league this season yet.

The people i'm talking about didn't want Arsenal to win the league last year, their reasoning being it would be a league title win in a poor season qualitywise and that it would then lead to Wenger getting a new contract and Arsenal not being able to compete with Pep's City & Utd/Chelsea when they sort their **** out.

I don't know their views on Arsenal winning the league this season yet.
    Do a search.

Do a search.

Do a search where for what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Do a search where for what?

I don't know what Button wants but I'd like to see someone saying they didn't want us to the win the league last year?

I don't know what Button wants but I'd like to see someone saying they didn't want us to the win the league last year?

I don't know if someone in here said they didn't want Arsenal to win league, maybe they did and maybe not. I'm talking about people i know, Arsenal fans one of which i worked with in my last job, and that was their opinion.

I definitely saw that sentiment on Twitter. I avoid them so couldn't give yo any names but there are people out there who hate him so much that they would countenance anything to get rid of him. They are living in this weird place as Arsenal fans who prefer Arsenal to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Do a search here for that!

I don't know if someone in here said they didn't want Arsenal to win league, maybe they did and maybe not. I'm talking about people i know, Arsenal fans one of which i worked with in my last job, and that was their opinion.

Ahhh, I was under the impression that you were referring to people in here!

Ahhh, I was under the impression that you were referring to people in here!

Nope, was just replying to the opinion that a new contract for Wenger would be 'a disaster' by saying i suppose it depends on his performance and whether you're more anti-Wenger than pro-Arsenal.

Thought it was a fairly throw-away remark tbh :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sorry but those people don't exist.

If they do then one of them please post here.

Fully agree with your post.
    I don't think they exist either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Nope, was just replying to the opinion that a new contract for Wenger would be 'a disaster' by saying i suppose it depends on his performance and whether you're more anti-Wenger than pro-Arsenal.

Thought it was a fairly throw-away remark tbh :rolleyes:
    That's the point we're making though. We know what performance we are going to get from Wenger. A few runs of form here and there, but when the pressure is on he'll crumble. Us saying that we know this is going to happen, isn't the same as us saying we want it to happen. You seem to be confusing the two.

Everyone wants Arsenal to win the league.

There are definitely those that have said we finish poorly in the league, if it meant the end of Wenger. That's fair enough.

I always said I didn't care who is manager as long as our teams were well prepared and went out and gave it their all. That's all we can ask for. That along with good tactics and proper players in the team.

I have seen us win doubles, cups and beat the best in Europe BUT i have also seen us play crap with little or no desire, poor tactics and cave in to lesser teams. That's what annoys me. I don't even mind losing if we give our all on the pitch and show pride in the jersey.

I don't believe anyone could disagree with this.

Quazzie wrote: »
    That's the point we're making though. We know what performance we are going to get from Wenger. A few runs of form here and there, but when the pressure is on he'll crumble. Us saying that we know this is going to happen, isn't the same as us saying we want it to happen. You seem to be confusing the two.

I'm not saying you want it to happen. i just made a comment basically saying that him getting a new contract could be seen as a disaster based on:

a) another poor performance

b) how much you hate Wenger(if the season went well)

I don't think he's had a squad with this much depth in a long time, so if they seriously underperform again then there's certainly a case for him not getting a renewel.

Or who knows, maybe he'll win 10 on the bounce down the stretch like 98 to take the title, or 13 on the bounce in 02. This is the strongest spine to a team he's had since the 2005/06 season i think, but if they were to have a good season and run City a close 2nd i wouldn't call him getting a renewal a disaster.

Away kit tonight. Playing at home :pac:

We beat Lens in 00 wearing yellow and battered Bayern (though somehow drew) a couple of months later. We did however get our arse handed to Benfica wearing our bruised banana in 1991.

Mixed fortunes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

From arseblog

According to Opta, Walcott has already made more tackles (12) in six Premier League appearances this season as he managed in the last two seasons combined (11).

This stat just goes to show how bad he has been the last 2 seasons. He has worked hard and played well enough but that should be the minimum standard at Arsenal. The way some are going on in here you would think he has being Messi-esque.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    This stat just goes to show how bad he has been the last 2 seasons. He has worked hard and played well enough but that should be the minimum standard at Arsenal. The way some are going on in here you would think he has being Messi-esque.

How many tackles does Messi have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

So Arsene England's number one target?

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »

Ah NO please !!!!
    We're not comparing Walcott to Messi now are we???

Messi's role is much different to Walcott anyway. He creates and scores loads of goals.
    Walcott could only dream of this.

Ah NO please !!!!
    We're not comparing Walcott to Messi now are we???

Messi's role is much different to Walcott anyway. He creates and scores loads of goals.
    Walcott could only dream of this.

Was just having a laugh.

Looking forward to tonight. Makes such a difference when the team start playing nice football.

I've read enough today...

I've read enough today...

You boo boys have no sense of humour. Lighten up a little :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What are we arguing about today? The weather? Traffic on the M50???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just checked and Basel are top of the table with nine wins from nine (10 team league). I wonder did they rest players at the weekend. COYG

• Advertisement

Predicted lineup:

Ospina
    Bellerin
    Koscielny
    Mustafi
    Monreal
    Xhaka
    Cazorla
    Iwobi
    Ozil
    Walcott
    Sanchez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

what channel are we on tonight?

BT Sport 3

wonga77 wrote: »

Not RTE. This is why I hate when Celtic take their usual clogging and clog up the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

feck that, I hate watching celtic tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

BT Sport 3

feck that, I hate watching celtic tbh

Did you hear Wrighty's comments on the old firm? Great man, Wrighty.

Sometimes.

Predicted lineup:

Ospina
    Bellerin
    Koscielny
    Mustafi
    Monreal
    Xhaka
    Cazorla
    Iwobi
    Ozil
    Walcott
    Sanchez

Bang on. These players are off the back of a good match. Hope it continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

We're playing the Swiss tonight. The Swiss have a nice flag, which is a big plus. 🇨🇭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Did you hear Wrighty's comments on the old firm? Great man, Wrighty.

Sometimes.

What did he say?

Basil3 wrote: »
    Bang on. These players are off the back of a good match. Hope it continues.

Yeah 3 points is a must tonight if they've any chance of topping the group, can't see PSG dropping too many.

Good interview with Theo about him getting too comfortable and having to work harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

We on any terrestrial channels this evening folks? Or just poxy BT sports that I don't have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

We on any terrestrial channels this evening folks? Or just poxy BT sports that I don't have?

BT sport only

If you are an Eir Broadband subscriber you can get it for free

Poxy BT sports which I do have (for about one more week)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement