Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Soo..

We were all wrong about Theo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

That will probably be the easiest 45 mins that Arsenal will play all season. Has been one way traffic since minute one. We are playing some great stuff and the score really should be more than two. Happy with this, should stroll the second half playing this way.

Surprised at Basel though, would have thought they'd put up more of a test!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Soo..

Feck sake lads, where are ye're skeptical hats? You all know he's had plenty of brief flashes before. It's only a handful of games we're talking about, he'll get his new contract in Nov. or Dec. and it'll be back to the same old routine again.

Soo..

Speak for yourself :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Soo..

When we win the Premiership next April/May and he is the top scorer I'll be convinced ;)

gandalf wrote: »
    When we win the Premiership next April/May and he is the top scorer I'll be convinced ;)

Convinced that you were dreaming? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Convinced that you were dreaming? :D

:D

Celtic 3 up, strange goings on

Celtic 3 up, strange goings on

They have 3 goals. Not 3 up, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

It's just Pep being Pep again. Putting a LB in at CB and leaving an actual CB on the bench. Kolarov is never a CB and it was his mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

This should be 5-0 or something by now!

Mr Wenger said before the game, he can't think of a Champions League game that Arsenal played, that was easy.
    He can now.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

PSG winning, we need to score as many as possible here.

We still have PSG at home. If we beat them, GD won't matter.

Good stuff Ospina, I'd have been asleep if I were him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

jamescd wrote: »
    We still have PSG at home. If we beat them, GD won't matter.
    That's a big if. We should still put these to the sword regardless of GD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Game should be over, hope we don't go back to old ways and concede a stupid goal to let them back in.

Ah come on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

jamescd wrote: »
    It's just Pep being Pep again. Putting a LB in at CB and leaving an actual CB on the bench. Kolarov is never a CB and it was his mistake.

It's a curious thing about Pep. When things go wrong for him both he loses his head and his teams lose their composure... not sure if it's a case of his frustration rubbing off on his players or if it's more a reflection of how finely balanced his systems are.

Bit like what happens to us really in way. I wonder how much of his flaws were glossed over by the respective dominance of Barca and Bayern in their domestic setups?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I know Alexis has missed a fair few chances at this stage, but it's clear that himself and Theo have been doing their homework together.

I wanted Perez not bleedin Chamberlain

Redzer7 wrote: »
    That's a big if. We should still put these to the sword regardless of GD.

I forgot that it's actually the head to head record that's taken into account 1st in the event of a tie. Unless it finishes 1-1 again, GD won't matter at all.

I'm not saying we shouldn't score more, but it's highly unlikely it will be necessary at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

CatInABox wrote: »
    I know Alexis has missed a fair few chances at this stage, but it's clear that himself and Theo have been doing their homework together.

Include Ozil in that too. The 3 of them have been tearing the defence apart.
    Only complaint I have is that we are not clinical enough.
    We should be 6 up.

Chamberlain....all you had to do was square it

Ah Ox ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

MiskyBoyy wrote:
    I got to have a look at the Panasonic I mentioned above, in person and I'd be very pleased with it.

MOTM is definitely their Keeper, must have saved them 5 or 6 goals now.

For us Walcott then Sanchez, Superb performance from the team again and real optimism about our season now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

DanC90 wrote: »
    For us Walcott then Sanchez, Superb performance from the team again and real optimism about our season now.

My favourite part of every season. The part where we have hope and think that maybe this time it'll be different... maybe this time it'll be different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Feck sake lads, where are ye're skeptical hats? You all know he's had plenty of brief flashes before. It's only a handful of games we're talking about, he'll get his new contract in Nov. or Dec. and it'll be back to the same old routine again.

To be fair his brief flashes were always followed by horrendous injuries. He takes his sweet time coming back from them though..

My favourite part of every season. The part where we have hope and think that maybe this time it'll be different... maybe this time it'll be different!

I'll have a whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. You cant not praise him for what he's doing now.

• Advertisement

That's the 1st time Basel have lost away to a British team.
    Well done Arsenal.
    Great football.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

What a performance again. Haven't seen us follow up a great performance like Chelsea with another tenacious attempt at far lower opposition in years.

Everything clicked tonight again, and a massive amount of that has to lie with the responsibility the wingers took in defending. Iwobi and Walcott were very turned on to at least be back at any dangerous moment, and we showed basel a fair bit of respect considering our stature.

And walcott, I will absolutely hold my hands up and say I had him written off at the start of the season. But if he plays as well as this all the time he holds that spot all season. Looks pumped for it for once.

Great that we have so much competition for places and everyone is putting in their stint. Its funny that its only in the games where all of our players play terrific, does Ozil have slightly less impact on the whole thing.

Defence class again, Monreal Koscielny and Bellerin seem back on the same wavelength and that can be a great force as we've seen, and Mustafi looks up for it.

"Do you think this rollercoaster goes back down?"

My MacBook battery died so missed and of match, nephew wanted to watch Celtic so I let him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Sanchez now top in both departments. Himself and Walcott scoring 10 between them already is very encouraging. Again league goal and assists in brackets, totals on the right!

Goals
    Sanchez (4) 5
    Walcott (3) 5
    Cazorla (2) 2
    Ozil (2) 2
    Xhaka (1) 2
    Oxlade Chamberlain (1) 2
    Perez (0) 2
    Chambers (1) 1
    Koscielny (1) 1

Assists
    Sanchez (2) 4
    Iwobi (3) 3
    Cazorla (2) 2
    Walcott (1) 1
    Elneny (1) 1
    Perez (0) 1
    Akpom (0) 1
    Oxlade Chamberlain (0) 1
    Bellerin (1) 1

Just from the highlights I'm not convinced we're any different to usual. Hopefully I'm wrong but I saw the usual poor opposition giving us time on the ball, we miss chances and still leave them with a sniff. Long way to go yet anyway. Let's be honest, next 2 CL games should be comfortable wins and we can see how things stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Excellent performance again, high tempo and very fluid. Team looks like it knows what it's doing all over the field.

Front 3 looks great against teams that want to play football, next test will be to see how it goes against teams with 10 players camped around the penalty area.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Ah I know it's early days and all but sometimes you just have to enjoy the sunshine while it lasts..
    When we do come up against the bigger teams in November (C*nts, C*nts Managed by a Huge C*nt & then PSG) I expect us to have a much tougher time and be brought back down to earth but again being the optimistic so & so I am I'm hoping with a run of good results behind us we'll be going into each of those games feeling confident and in good form but who knows what will happen it's Arsenal after all 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The team played with verve and energy tonight. Great to see the confidence flowing through the team. Shame the intensity dropped a little in the 2nd half. Promising signs but I'm not going to read too much into it - just enjoying the moment.

• Advertisement

Excellent performance again, high tempo and very fluid. Team looks like it knows what it's doing all over the field.

Front 3 looks great against teams that want to play football, next test will be to see how it goes against teams with 10 players camped around the penalty area.
    That's my thinking. It's fine against teams with 11 players stretched over the whole pitch. The whole Sanchez up front thing didn't work last season in such circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

That's my thinking. It's fine against teams with 11 players stretched over the whole pitch. The whole Sanchez up front thing didn't work last season in such circumstances.

Both Chelsea and Basel played 10 men behind the ball and it coped well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Worked ok against Hull even when they had 11 on the pitch

True but there were other parts of the team that weren't functioning last season that may have had an effect on that too, midfield especially.

Wait and see i suppose, signs are promising imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just from the highlights I'm not convinced we're any different to usual. Hopefully I'm wrong but I saw the usual poor opposition giving us time on the ball, we miss chances and still leave them with a sniff. Long way to go yet anyway. Let's be honest, next 2 CL games should be comfortable wins and we can see how things stand.

There are always poor opposition.

Last season in the first 8 games we scored seven goals.

This may not last and that wouldn't be different but what they're showing on the pitch now is the best we've seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This might be old news in here, but has this thread noticed the picture they used for Sanchez in the Squawka comparison thing? Funny

Soups123 wrote: »
    Both Chelsea and Basel played 10 men behind the ball and it coped well

The start of the Chelsea game was wide open. Hull are awful. On tonight's highlights I saw twice when Koscielny had the ball in our box and there were three Basel players in front of him. Not closing him down mind, just leaving lots of space behind. There seemed to be plenty of medium-length passes in behind their back line which we don't often get to do in the league.

gosplan wrote: »
    There are always poor opposition.

Last season in the first 8 games we scored seven goals.

This may not last and that wouldn't be different but what they're showing on the pitch now is the best we've seen in years.
    Ya think? 9 games so far, 4 against good opposition;
    Liverpool battered us.
    Dire against Leicester but they were no brtter.
    Miraculous draw against PSG.
    Great stuff against Chelsea.

If we can continue this for what should be 7 handy games coming up followed by 3 tough ones (Spurs, United,PSG) the I might start to think things have changed. As it is I don't think 4 very good performances in a row (one in the League Cup against lower league opposition) after a poor start and dross against PSG is anything but normal for Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Ya think? 9 games so far, 4 against good opposition;
    Liverpool battered us.
    Dire against Leicester but they were no brtter.
    Miraculous draw against PSG.
    Great stuff against Chelsea.

If we can continue this for what should be 7 handy games coming up followed by 3 tough ones (Spurs, United,PSG) the I might start to think things have changed. As it is I don't think 4 very good performances in a row (one in the League Cup against lower league opposition) after a poor start and dross against PSG is anything but normal for Arsenal.

Well you're in a win-win situation, Button. If we do well, you get to enjoy it. If we don't, you get to tell us all 'I told you so'. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement