Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ya think? 9 games so far, 4 against good opposition;
    Liverpool battered us.
    Dire against Leicester but they were no brtter.
    Miraculous draw against PSG.
    Great stuff against Chelsea.

If we can continue this for what should be 7 handy games coming up followed by 3 tough ones (Spurs, United,PSG) the I might start to think things have changed. As it is I don't think 4 very good performances in a row (one in the League Cup against lower league opposition) after a poor start and dross against PSG is anything but normal for Arsenal.

Yes we started the season poorly,but we have improved game on game. The team really seems to be clicking now with understandings developing all over the pitch.

There's always room for improvement of course but I really see cause for optimism

Basil3 wrote: »
    Well you're in a win-win situation, Button. If we do well, you get to enjoy it. If we don't, you get to tell us all 'I told you so'. :)
    Same old ****posting.
    greendom wrote: »
    Yes we started the season poorly,but we have improved game on game. The team really seems to be clicking now with understandings developing all over the pitch.

There's always room for improvement of course but I really see cause for optimism
    Including the PSG match? :pac:

Look we've had a decent run with one win that wouldn't have been expected. We now have 7 handy games in a row coming up, if we win 6/7 then we're on a serious run. Then there's 3 tough matches. If out of the 10 games we win 6 then we're back to par for the last decade. There's a way to go.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Just from the highlights I'm not convinced we're any different to usual. Hopefully I'm wrong but I saw the usual poor opposition giving us time on the ball, we miss chances and still leave them with a sniff. Long way to go yet anyway. Let's be honest, next 2 CL games should be comfortable wins and we can see how things stand.
    They pressed us hard once we entered their half but our goals killed them.

It was an excellent performance and they never had a sniff to be honest. Cech had to make two saves that I can remember. The only real negative was our finishing (Walcott aside).

Bigger challenges await but there's nothing really to be dissatisfied with from last night.

They pressed us hard once we entered their half but our goals killed them.

It was an excellent performance and they never had a sniff to be honest. Cech had to make two saves that I can remember. The only real negative was our finishing (Walcott aside).

Bigger challenges await but there's nothing really to be dissatisfied with from last night.

Pretty wayward shots if Cech was saving them ;-)

haha, whoops. In fairness for most of the game you wouldn't even have known which keeper was playing!

• Advertisement

What are we arguing about today? The weather? Traffic on the M50???

Traffic mental on the m50. All Wenger's fault #wengerout :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Traffic mental on the m50. All Wenger's fault #wengerout :pac:

I dropped my ice cream

#wengerout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

so happy we won but on another day we should be putting all those chances ;) great work by the team, the pace on that starting 11 is too much! Loving it! I just wish we subbed in Perez instead of Ox. Upwards we go! COYG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I feel like I haven't seen Perez play at all, what's the craic with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

5star02707 wrote: »
    so happy we won but on another day we should be putting all those chances ;) great work by the team, the pace on that starting 11 is too much! Loving it! I just wish we subbed in Perez instead of Ox. Upwards we go! COYG

A lot of missed chances, but at least the chances are coming and the goals too. Biggest win in the league last season was 4-0, I'm very optimistic of that being dwarfed this season. Theo has been a breath of fresh air, delighted for him!

• Advertisement

Is Wenger getting Perez to bulk up a bit first before he throws him in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Is Wenger getting Perez to bulk up a bit first before he throws him in?

Am hoping to see a front 3 of Sanchez Perez Walcott soon would have plenty of pace and I still think Alexis is most effective coming in from the left.

dinorebel wrote: »
    Am hoping to see a front 3 of Sanchez Perez Walcott soon would have plenty of pace and I still think Alexis is most effective coming in from the left.

Only problem was he got too predictable cutting in onto his right. Everyone knew he was going to do it, and was easy to defend against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Arseblog just posted this up on FB but it has brought a big smile to my grumpy face so it might brighten up your day as well. Especially the face on Costa at the end of the clip, priceless!!

https://twitter.com/TerryAFCx/status/779801067496300544

Kosc in the CAM position throwing Costa around warms my heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

gandalf wrote: »
    Arseblog just posted this up on FB but it has brought a big smile to my grumpy face so it might brighten up your day as well. Especially the face on Costa at the end of the clip, priceless!!

https://twitter.com/TerryAFCx/status/779801067496300544

I will watch that every day until the day I die.

I especially love Kos jumping up and looking into the distance as if there has been no collision or anything out if the ordinary whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Wenger to be offered a 2 year extension to fend off England advances seems to be the word on the grapevine this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wenger to be offered a 2 year extension to fend off England advances seems to be the word on the grapevine this afternoon.
    He has done nothing to show he can move on to the next level, so he doesn't deserve that.

I wouldn't be doing that. He'd be a complete fool to go near the England job.

If i was a betting man i'd lump on him still being in charge this time next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

If i was a betting man i'd lump on him still being in charge this time next year.

The PSG hot seat could open up for him the way things are going.

If he's not here at the start of next season, my money is on him being in gay Paris.

I wouldn't be doing that. He'd be a complete fool to go near the England job.

Surely if he wanted to manage an international team, he'd manage bleedin France?

The PSG hot seat could open up for him the way things are going.

If he's not here at the start of next season, my money is on him being in gay Paris.

Possibly yeah, if the board decide to go for someone else for whatever reason.

He won't voluntarily move anywhere else though, he'd stay forever if he could. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Put it this way, I'd prefer Wenger being here for another 2 years than the likes of Eddie Howe getting the gig.... theres no way I'd replace Wenger with such a low profile appointment. I suspect he'll stay until the best man for the job becomes available and to be fair, there's not that many suitable available candidates out there with all the movement recently.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Put it this way, I'd prefer Wenger being here for another 2 years than the likes of Eddie Howe getting the gig.... theres no way I'd replace Wenger with such a low profile appointment. I suspect he'll stay until the best man for the job becomes available and to be fair, there's not that many suitable available candidates out there with all the movement recently.

If Wenger leaves then Simeone is the man i want. Ill give Wenger his credit, he has gone back to a more physically robust player and is mixing style with substance. We have a squad with the right blend of experience and grit and if we are willing to mix it that bit more i feel that teams wont go out trying to rough us up and therefore the injuries may reduce.

I dont think Simeone is negative but rather a man who will play to a teams strengths and get the best out of them. Id imagine he'd love the idea of Elneny, Kosc, Xhaka, Mustafi, Coq..even young Holding there on the squad for him. They are his type of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

If Wenger leaves then Simeone is the man i want. Ill give Wenger his credit, he has gone back to a more physically robust player and is mixing style with substance. We have a squad with the right blend of experience and grit and if we are willing to mix it that bit more i feel that teams wont go out trying to rough us up and therefore the injuries may reduce.

I dont think Simeone is negative but rather a man who will play to a teams strengths and get the best out of them. Id imagine he'd love the idea of Elneny, Kosc, Xhaka, Mustafi, Coq..even young Holding there on the squad for him. They are his type of players.

Agree, Simeone is the only manager out there at the moment I'd have instead of Wenger & if he's not available (or someone else of his stature) there's no way a Bruce Rioch style appointment will wash.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I'd imagine Roman would move for Simeone as soon as he's ready to leave Athletico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Reading ozil is keen on a move back to real.

I thought he signed the contract. Or did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

JustTheOne wrote: »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfer-news-rumours-mesut-8929380

Arsenal transfer news and rumours: Mesut Ozil 'agrees bumper new contract and shirt number change' - I know it's mirror :D

• Advertisement

Ozil to me, still doesn't seem happy here, I don't know what it is but when I look at him on the pitch and stuff I just get the feeling he's not happy.

JustTheOne wrote: »

rumours - nothing announced by the club - even the rumours said it would be the end of October before anything was announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ozil to me, still doesn't seem happy here, I don't know what it is but when I look at him on the pitch and stuff I just get the feeling he's not happy.

Eh he always looks like that :D

Eh he always looks like that :D

you'd imagine things were going well enough on the pitch atm. Off the pitch - who knows ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Agree, but then Mustafi said that he joined because Ozil recommended the club, so I'm hopeful Ozil is just a grump git

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Ya he looked totally miserable alright when he was tapping the badge after scoring against Chelsea!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Players don't have to be smiling on the pitch to be happy, some are totally different on and off the pitch. Looking at the pics of Ozil in training he seems happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

http://arseblog.com/2016/09/another-brick-walcott/

Great piece by Arseblog on Walcotts resurgence, hopefully he continues to improve and stay fit. I had completely written him off last season but hes been really convincing so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

Most of the recent ones you should know straight off from the picture, but I defintely needed the description and/or multi-choice for some of the early years ...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37496279

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wenger needs to sign Daryl Horgan for the left side of the field.:D:pac:
    What a night in Tallaght once again.
    C'mon the Town.
    Brilliant.

• Advertisement

Ya he looked totally miserable alright when he was tapping the badge after scoring against Chelsea!

He wasnt his best last night in fairness although neither was Cazorla. Just my own perception

Gus99 wrote: »
    Most of the recent ones you should know straight off from the picture, but I defintely needed the description and/or multi-choice for some of the early years ...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37496279

Got Tavlaridis wrong, thought it was Juan.

Wenger needs to sign Daryl Horgan for the left side of the field.:D:pac:
    What a night in Tallaght once again.
    C'mon the Town.
    Brilliant.

He's the absolute spit of Duffers. Even is a similar style of player to him

He wasnt his best last night in fairness although neither was Cazorla. Just my own perception

I thought that too. Good sign when such influential players are not on the top of their game and the team still manages to win comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Coq is having a fitness test today, could be available on sunday

wawaman wrote: »
    Coq is having a fitness test today, could be available on sunday

wow! definitely something happening at Arsenal. I thought he'd been given the dreaded 3 weeks, that turns into 3 months etc etc.

Would rather he wasn't risked. International break is coming and personally I wouldn't mind seeing an Elneny - Xhaka midfield used in away games like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Would rather he wasn't risked. International break is coming and personally I wouldn't mind seeing an Elneny - Xhaka midfield used in away games like these.

I think that pair will be the future starters for us. Can't wait to see them start. Good passers, mobile and good tacklers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Absolutely no need to risk Coquelin. We have plenty of cover.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement