Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Did anyone hear John Cross on Sky sports last weekend? Very damning on Wenger and Kronke. And he's a big Wengerite!
    Here's the link, it's halfway down the page: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10549573/arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-admits-he-is-scared-of-retirement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

emmetlego wrote: »
    Did anyone hear John Cross on Sky sports last weekend? Very damning on Wenger and Kronke. And he's a big Wengerite!
    Here's the link, it's halfway down the page: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/10549573/arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-admits-he-is-scared-of-retirement

he was only a big Wengerite because it suited him. Like any journalist he's after himself and clicks and readership.

He is friends with Wenger, is he not? Didn't he write his biography with his blessing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He is friends with Wenger, is he not? Didn't he write his biography with his blessing?

Sssshhh. He's criticizing Wenger so now Greendom hates him :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That article just confirms what i've been thinking all along i.e we're more a business than a football club. It's why I believe we will spend as little as possible and maybe zero money at all. Some of the blame rests with Wenger for not insisting on having some of the profits made available for buying players. He should be standing his ground but now he's become a company man and as long as he's getting his 7/8 million he's happy for this to continue and will spiel on the Boards behalf.

I figured this out before and I said that Wenger would be carried out in a straight-jacket screaming and kicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,507 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I figured this out before and I said that Wenger would be carried out in a straight-jacket screaming and kicking.

I fully believe he will sign a new contract at the end of the season. Even if we have a terrible one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But doesn't Wenger have an argument? Look at the huge sums of money spent by City and in the last few years MU to little or no effect. Spending the money does not guarantee success and unless it can significantly change the team is there a point other than to appease fans and look big?

Real Madrid spunked money for years without winning the CL. For all that money they would have still ended up in the top 2 in Spain.

Only one team can win the league, only one can win the CL. So continuing to do reasonably, whilst not overly exciting, is still quite an achievement. Has spending the money on Ozil or Sanchez really made a significant difference? They are still in the top 4, still in the last 16 of CL, materially not much has changed. Of course its hypothetical, but if they had gone for a mid level player would they have done much worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But doesn't Wenger have an argument? Look at the huge sums of money spent by City and in the last few years MU to little or no effect. Spending the money does not guarantee success and unless it can significantly change the team is there a point other than to appease fans and look big?

Real Madrid spunked money for years without winning the CL. For all that money they would have still ended up in the top 2 in Spain.

Only one team can win the league, only one can win the CL. So continuing to do reasonably, whilst not overly exciting, is still quite an achievement. Has spending the money on Ozil or Sanchez really made a significant difference? They are still in the top 4, still in the last 16 of CL, materially not much has changed. Of course its hypothetical, but if they had gone for a mid level player would they have done much worse?

The point is we need a striker a winger and a cb, it has nothing to do with spending crazy money for no reason or just to have big stars, we require 3 players to complete our squad, we are not looking likely to sign them despite having an extremely experienced manager and a healthy bank account.

Leroy42 wrote: »

2010-11
    2011-12
    2012-13
    2013-14

Yeah City and United did nothing there. It's been 2 years since either of them won the league and in the other 2 since it was Chelsea (sure they don't spend) and Leicester because the one outlier we wanted to be.
    Aside from last season, City finished 4-1-2-1-2 in the 5 seasons before that. United have been very poor, there's no doubt.
    However, they've changed things up at results have varied. At Arsenal we do more of the same and nothing changes. Hell, what's our net spend like the last few years compared to others?
    No-one's saying to spend 300 million on midfielders and goalkeepers. We know what we need, Wenger either knows what we need or is senile or just acting like a piece of **** to suit himself. We need a striker. Oh no, it would be mental to "waste money" on an old lad like Zlatan wouldn't it? What about some decent CB to be able to plug in for Koscielny or Mertesacker because Gabriel and Chambers sure as **** aren't up to it.

This is something else I've wondered, why at other clubs can they put in a journeyman, or close to it, into CB without the entire team falling about whereas an injury or 2 and we're severely weakened, let alone when our annual full-on crisis hits? There's something rotten at every level of the club and people who are happy to support it are a large part of the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Copied from the above link
    The 66-year-old, who will celebrate his 20th anniversary as Gunners boss in October,

Great time for the fans to make their voice heard and protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Nothing to do with the current conversation but any excuse to see this again

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/768362744768630784

wonga77 wrote: »

And they still haven't got over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

And they still haven't got over it.

Neither have I. Best day ever.

I only realised recently that was on Friday. I've since saluted it with a beer every Friday. I encourage you all to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

wonga77 wrote: »

Everytime I see this I still think he is gonna miss the shot with the ball so stuck under his feet.....Its incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

and a lifetime of bitter pundits were born

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Sad to see how much rumours have dried up. Chelsea also looking for a CB and FW but I bet they'll have both in a week's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,657 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Sad to see how much rumours have dried up. Chelsea also looking for a CB and FW but I bet they'll have both in a week's time.

Sporting striker Slimani is the latest rumour. Don't know much about him except I had him in my fantasy football team for the last world cup and he did me proud!

Sporting striker Slimani is the latest rumour. Don't know much about him except I had him in my fantasy football team for the last world cup and he did me proud!

Daily Mail saying we're sending Chambers out on loan... :confused:

• Advertisement

Daily Mail saying we're sending Chambers out on loan... :confused:

Only if we get one in.

As to John Cross, I don't love him or hate him but he's a journalist doing what a journalist does. Tabloid journalist to boot.

Anyone see this stock market report on Arsenal. Came out in May but received very little attention. Essentially it concluded that the club had less than 60 million to spend on transfers. An excellent read anyway.

https://www.css-investments.com/stock-analysis/arsenal-report/

@piersmorgan: Will you sign for Arsenal & put us out of our defensive misery?
    #AskPique @3gerardpique

@3gerardpique: It's very very difficult Piers. Ask your 'friend' Arsene to buy quality defenders! twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/768520372958425088

https://twitter.com/3gerardpique/status/768527445595136000

We are definitely a laughing stock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Basil3 wrote: »

We are definitely a laughing stock :D

No matter how bad things get we will never be as big a laughing stock as that p*ick Morgan

wawaman wrote: »
    No matter how bad things get we will never be as big a laughing stock as that p*ick Morgan

The funny thing is that he has the exact same view as the majority of people on here. He's 'Irish', you guys should be all for him :pac:

The funny thing is that he has the exact same view as the majority of people on here. He's 'Irish', you guys should be all for him :pac:

Nope. The worst poster here is a million times better at everything than him.

And he's not Irish. Pat Hickey is Irish. Grand. We'll deal with that. But him? No way Jose.

I think the whole printing lies about Arsenal fans and getting them banned for life kinda negates the Irish thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Linked with a good few players tonight

Can't say I no any of them

Everton fans losing their **** because apparently we've taken Lucas Perez off their shopping list. Anyone know anything about him? Apart from the fact that he's a striker...

Seen a few comments about him on twitter too, but not from any decent sources.

Everton fans losing their **** because apparently we've taken Lucas Perez off their shopping list. Anyone know anything about him? Apart from the fact that he's a striker...

Well according to Wikipedia, he's already joined us. Just a defender now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

No. Wouldn't be impressed either from a glance at his stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

We have Forest in the carling cup for anyone that missed it.

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

A battle between 2 former greats.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

First meeting of the sides since Martin Keown's winner at the City Ground in January 1999. Big Ron went into the wrong dugout same day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

We've got Overmars on the bench?

lolz

After reading Gunnerblog's comment that Perez is the poor man's Griezmann, I had a look into their stats. They do actually match up to each other pretty closely, but the main thing is that Griezmann is much more likely to get you 20 goals in a season......and that's what we need.

After reading Gunnerblog's comment that Perez is the poor man's Griezmann, I had a look into their stats. They do actually match up to each other pretty closely, but the main thing is that Griezmann is much more likely to get you 20 goals in a season......and that's what we need.

The scout we pinched from Leicester. Walsh. The one who brought Mahrez to the EPL has recommended him. Good seal of approval imo

I won't judge any player by name or price tag

Get bodies in which we need and we see what there like

Twitter suggesting that Mustafi is getting closer again

Talk about push me pull me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

We'll know at last in 6 days. My main hope now is that we draw Basel in the group stages, would be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Anyone know anything about Lucas Perez?

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about Lucas Perez?

Looks solid enough....can't say I know him, though.

ZhElcji.png

• Advertisement

I won't judge any player by name or price tag

Get bodies in which we need and we see what there like

exactly i cant remember been to thrilled when we signed eduardo to replace TH14. Loved the guy by the time he left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Striker and a defender.

If we can't buy a world class striker than you have to trust the club and scouting system.

No reason not to get Mustafi at this stage though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Be delighted if it works out and he turns out decent but if he's all we're going to end up with in the attacking department why the hell wasn't he signed months ago? And he sounds more like a winger/wide forward than a striker to me...

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Be delighted if it works out and he turns out decent but if he's all we're going to end up with in the attacking department why the hell wasn't he signed months ago? And he sounds more like a winger/wide forward than a striker to me...

Maybe we were working on something bigger that didn't come off
    We just don't no

If we pull this off, considering the relatively low price tag, we should pay what's needed to get Mustafi. I'd be happy enough with a Xhaka, Holding, Perez, Mustafi summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Why put all our eggs in one basket with Mustafi? Surely theres someone else suitable out there
    Dunno anything about Perez only that he has a 17 million buyout clause and he got some 17 goals last season for Deportivo. Dont care how much he costs as long as he can score. Id take him at that rate as Lacazette is gone and I dont think too many other high profile strikers are going anywhere

Ornstein has spoken:
    Arsenal interested in signing Deportivo La Coruna CF Lucas Perez. Not done deal but #AFC in contention - 27yo, 17 gls in 37 apps last season

If we pull this off, considering the relatively low price tag, we should pay what's needed to get Mustafi. I'd be happy enough with a Xhaka, Holding, Perez, Mustafi summer.

Would be happy with that. Definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If we can't sign someone that can replace Giroud, then we need to find someone who can back him up, and I think Perez is as capable an option as any at that level.

As already said a Xhaka, Holding, Perez, Mustafi summer would be satisfactory but it's a shame this wasn't completed earlier.

The Perez deal is last minute because Wenger believed in the long shot of Griezmann but there's no excuse for Mustafi.

• Advertisement

Who knows, maybe this is a smokescreen to get Griezeman!

Ahhaaa hahahaha! I kill myself sometimes! :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement