Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

gosplan wrote: »
    Grand.

But it's a bit silly saying it's a definite red if you don't know why.

It's a terrible tackle! It's a red... what more do you want?

Are you a solicitor or something? What are you asking these stupid questions for?

RED CARD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not really worried by the up front bit, we still scored 3. The backline was the shakiest I've seen since the Liverpool match though.

Yep. Sometimes I wonder if our defenders can actually jump. They were beaten in the air every time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

WENGER IN!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

That red was very very harsh.

Would love to hear what the refs take on it is.

• Advertisement

Are you a solicitor or something? What are you asking these stupid questions for?

RED CARD.

Yeah, but it was in no way violent or dangerous. It was only cynical. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was a yellow.

Tony has done us a favour today i see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Deserved the win, we could have had 3 or 4 more any other day with all the close off sides, some of which were not...

Monreal was poor today, but was offered little protection from LMF, however, we are usually poor defensively after interlull. Monreal got a late call up to Spain, so I'll allow him some breathing space...

Theo on his hat trick and misses a sitter form 6 metres!

For me Xhaka was a yellow. But his first poor game for Arsenal, but he will hopefully recover.

Joint top as the other fellows only drew... Not a bad day at the office, and glad to be back

Yep. Sometimes I wonder if our defenders can actually jump. They were beaten in the air every time today.

White men cant jump according to Wesley Snipes and co :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

emmetlego wrote: »
    Monreal was poor today, but was offered little protection from LMF, however, we are usually poor defensively after interlull.

This is important. Iwobi's class, but his defensive game is seriously not good enough. Monreal has looked poor this season precisely because he's constantly exposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think the game was virtually won when Barrow went off to be replaced by Rangel. All their attacks seemed to come from his side.

It was pure cynicism by Xhaka but not sure if that's enough to warrant a red, especially in the opposition half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

RED CARD.

Because i was surprised by the red. I thought it was a yellow all day long.

You said it's a definite red so I just asked you why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

When you remember the international break, these being our bogey team, the other results 3 points was all that mattered today, job done!

Take the 3 points, bollock a few of the players and move on.

Monreal had a poor game but was this not the first international break in ages he was called up for Spain?

Soups123 wrote: »
    When you remember the international break, these being our bogey team, the other results 3 points was all that mattered today, job done!

Yep true enough. Have to say i liked the attitude shown by the team. There was an urgency to win that has been missing with quite a while. There seems to be a bit more leadership among the players too. Ozil for one seemed to be very vocal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, but it was in no way violent or dangerous. It was only cynical. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was a yellow.

It was a red card all day long. Xhaka kicked out at a player when he had absolutely no chance of getting the ball. He wasnt tacking, he wasnt just holding a player back. He kicked another player off the ball. Red card all day, every day!

If that's all he has in his box of tricks he may settle for being a very expensive bench warmer. Coq can be careless but he's not stupid and that's exactly what Xhaka has proven to be today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I agree, it should have been a yellow. You see midfielders taking one for the team every match. Only way it could have been a red is if Xhaka was the last man. But he definitely wasn't, there were other defenders around to cover.

Shame the spuds didn't lose though. Chadli scored the opening goal in the 82nd minute. Would have been great if they held on for the remaining 8 minutes or so (+added time).

Quazzie wrote: »
    It was a red card all day long. Xhaka kicked out at a player when he had absolutely no chance of getting the ball. He wasnt tacking, he was holding a player back. He kicked another player off the ball. Red card all day, every day!

If that's all he has in his box of tricks he may settle for being a very expensive bench warmer. Coq can be careless but he's not stupid and that's exactly what Xhaka has proven to be today.

He tripped him.

My question remains.

Was that a violent conduct red or a cynical goalscoring opportunity red?

Having no chance of getting the ball only makes a difference with the latter.

Look, we won, I don't care now but it seems people are saying

'That was a crap tackle, he wasn't near the ball and it was cynical'

NONE of those things are a red card.

Xhaka took a clear yellow card by cynically tripping a player's trailing leg so an attack couldn't take place.

But it was red?

He tripped him.

My question remains.

Was that a violent conduct red or a cynical goalscoring opportunity red?

Having no chance of getting the ball only makes a difference with the latter.

Look, we won, I don't care now but it seems people are saying

'That was a crap tackle, he wasn't near the ball and it was cynical'

NONE of those things are a red card.

Xhaka took a clear yellow card by cynically tripping a player's trailing leg so an attack couldn't take place.

But it was red?

He didn't trip him. He kicked him. He kicked a player off the ball. Stop describing as a trip or a tackle because this was neither. He kicked another player.

• Advertisement

He didn't trip him. He kicked him. He kicked a player off the ball. Stop describing as a trip or a tackle because this was neither. He kicked another player.

Only one question.

Is this video violent conduct and a three match ban?

http://arsenalist.com/f/2016-17/arsenal-vs-swansea/granit-xhaka-red-card.html

I didn't see it.
    I was too far away and the linesman was blocking my view. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

It was a red card all day long. Xhaka kicked out at a player when he had absolutely no chance of getting the ball. He wasnt tacking, he wasnt just holding a player back. He kicked another player off the ball. Red card all day, every day!

Remember coq against spurs last season?

Only one question.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Yes.

Not in a million years is that violent conduct or a red card, 100% it will be over turned. Over 50 yards from goal with 2 covering players

Yes.

Fair enough.

I'd see it as a cynical trip.

I think that was a real 'underdogs' red card. No way do a team like Arsenal or City get that red given against their opposition if they're ahead.

Then it becomes the clever yellow.

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Not in a million years is that violent conduct or a red card, 100% it will be over turned. Over 50 yards from goal with 2 covering players
    He kicked a player, with no intention other than to foul him. It was also from behind. He didn't trip him, or pull him down by the jersey, or even make a bad tackle to try win the ball. He seen a player running away from him that he couldn't catch and he kicked him. Dangerous play. Red Card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I didn't see it.
    I was too far away and the linesman was blocking my view. :pac:
    Arsene is that you?

He kicked a player, with no intention other than to foul him. It was also from behind. He didn't trip him, or pull him down by the jersey, or even make a bad tackle to try win the ball. He seen a player running away from him that he couldn't catch and he kicked him. Dangerous play. Red Card.

None of the above, not dangerous play or anything near it,was a yellow card and that's it. He clipped his heels give over . The fact you think it's dangerous play is laughable

• Advertisement

None of the above, not dangerous play or anything near it,was a yellow card and that's it. He clipped his heels give over . The fact you think it's dangerous play is laughable

This.

It was an ankle tap. Saying he 'kicked a player' is like saying Theo was punched in the face. A tad extreme.

This.

It was an ankle tap. Saying he 'kicked a player' is like saying Theo was punched in the face. A tad extreme.

Not a tad extreme, it's living in cuckoo land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

Regarding the red card, if you watch the video closely, Xhaka tripped him up by clipping his shin. Borrow made the most of it and the whole thing was made look worse because it was a breakaway (not last man at that). If this happened near a bunch of players, say around the box it would just be a yellow and no one would bat an eye lid. Same way if a player pulls back someone's arm to stop them running away. No intent there to win the ball back either. What's the difference there.

Arsenal weren't exactly convincing, but the refereeing in this game was dire. Wrong fouls and offsides galore.

Overall though a great match day with all the other big teams dropping points. Hopefully this serves like a good nearly scare to get the intensity of before the international break back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I think its clearly a red anyway, the only explanation I have for people saying its a yellow is arsenal tinted glasses. It really doesn't matter though, 3 points in the bag and Coq can do a better job than Xhaka did in the next game.

This.

An ankle tap?? He connected up near his knee FFS. :rolleyes:

An ankle tap?? He connected up near his knee FFS. :rolleyes:

He fell over by tripping over himself. Ankle tap is a figure of speech, it doesn't necessarily have to touch the ankle. He flicked one leg into the other. Maybe you don't use that term in Ireland, I dunno.

• Advertisement

I think its clearly a red anyway, the only explanation I have for people saying its a yellow is arsenal tinted glasses. It really doesn't matter though, 3 points in the bag and Coq can do a better job than Xhaka did in the next game.

Rose tinted glasses?? And no coq can't do a better job

He fell over by tripping over himself. Ankle tap is a figure of speech, it doesn't necessarily have to touch the ankle. He flicked one leg into the other. Maybe you don't use that term in Ireland, I dunno.

We do use it, well the people who know what they're talking about :)

Rose tinted glasses?? And no coq can't do a better job
    Ha. Why do you think Coq can't do a better job? He has been doing a better job for over a year now. Coq is the most underappreciated player in the Arsenal team, and mostly by people who only judge players by their transfer fee.

Ha. Why do you think Coq can't do a better job? He has been doing a better job for over a year now. Coq is the most underappreciated player in the Arsenal team, and mostly by people who only judge players by their transfer fee.

Yeah that's exactly it, you're right

That's it lads.

Find the argument. It's in there somewhere.

I'm out. I was just surprised by the red. Thought it was a clear trip and a yellow. Asked people saying got was a red what type of red it was.

Don't give a **** now though.

Joint top and we're arguing.

• Advertisement

Only one question.

First time I've seen it that's a shocking red card! It's a cynical yellow that will be won on appeal

That's it lads.

Find the argument. It's in there somewhere.

I'm out. I was just surprised by the red. Thought it was a clear trip and a yellow. Asked people saying got was a red what type of red it was.

Don't give a **** now though.

Joint top and we're arguing.

Your points were bang on, how any Gunner thinks that's a red is beyond me, non gunners well.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Absolutely delighted with that result, especially since they were down to 10 men! Lost to Swansea in Emirates last year too and the Arsenal of the last 10 years would have dropped points today. 6 wins on the bounce and is that 7 goals in 9 games from Walcott??? I need to pinch myself!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

The game was exciting off to see Panti in Soho with my other gay friends now.

Have we concluded if the red was justified yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

As a longtime arsenal fan Walcott will always frustrate me. Fair enough he has pace and gets some goals but he just does not have a football brain. His general technique, general play and decision making has not improved.

It is a shame as I had high hopes for him. Not trying to start an argument I just think his time as an arsenal player has been wasted. Do other gunners feel the same or do they think he is a quality player??

As a longtime arsenal fan Walcott will always frustrate me. Fair enough he has pace and gets some goals but he just does not have a football brain. His general technique, general play and decision making has not improved.

It is a shame as I had high hopes for him. Not trying to start an argument I just think his time as an arsenal player has been wasted. Do other gunners feel the same or do they think he is a quality player??

I think he will never be world class, but I think he is a decent player. I think that he has ended up injured every time he's found a run of form.

I'm also sick of hearing the term football brain. Is football the only sport that has its own brain? It's the only one I ever hear about.

I also find it strange that people bring up topics like this about him after he has a good match.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I know what you mean - that was a dreadful miss late on when Ox played him in. Overall though he's having a good season so far and still gets slated here on a day when he scores two decent goals!!

id agree. That said though with pace like he has perhaps he doesn't need to have too many strings to his bow. A bit of composure and awareness perhaps. He needs to be braver as we know already and his attitude needed to buck up which early indicators suggest it has. I suppose

To his credit he bagged two and barring the bit of extra luck he should have bagged four today and i was impressed with his movement and turn for the chance that hit the bottom of the post. There was anticipation and hunger behind it. The ball across to him wasn't the best either i felt because it could have been intercepted as easy.

Ive been hard on him and i felt it was justifiable to a degree because he needed to step up. Is it a confidence/self doubt thing he suffers from too?

If a world class striker got the chances Walcott got today he'd have scored at least four goals. Some of his misses were awful. He does get into great positions though and will always get goals because of this.

If a world class striker got the chances Walcott got today he'd have scored at least four goals. Some of his misses were awful. He does get into great positions though and will always get goals because of this.

he was unlucky with hitting the post twice. His execution was pretty good for the two chances.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement