Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

Fair point that football brain is a term branded about. The best analogy i can find is while we see Walcott in interviews he clearly is a smart fellow, articulate and knows what to say and when to say it.

I feel this does not translate on the pitch most of the time. When it comes to the pitch his understanding of the game and arsenals game seems to be lacking for the most part. The basic tools to play the professional game at the highset level seems to be missing from his game.
    His speed of thought, movement,decision making, touch and technique I feel are way below as of what's expected of an arsenal player. Fair enough we have had a lot of duds eg gervinho but most have been moved on by wenger quite quickly

I'm not knocking his goals today I am happy for him and the team. I just wish what he said a few weeks ago about he now knows his role he realised that at 20 not at 27. I guess it's unfulfilled potential. Again I am not trying to start arguments I just would like to know what other gunners think of him.

That is my honest opinion of him and as long as he's in an arsenal shirt I will support him and the team.

On a positive note I genuinely think there is a more resolute mentality in the squad this year. Swansea are usually our bogey team. All in all a good day for Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

he was unlucky with hitting the post twice. His execution was pretty good for the two chances.

It wasn't hard luck though. He shouldn't have hit the post from the positions he shot. He should have scored, particularly the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Didnt get to see the game today but just saw the highlights. Think Monreal might need a rest? The stats have been updated below. League goal and assists in brackets, totals on the right!

Goals
    Walcott (5) 7
    Sanchez (4) 5
    Ozil (3) 3
    Cazorla (2) 2
    Koscielny (2) 2
    Xhaka (1) 2
    Oxlade Chamberlain (1) 2
    Perez (0) 2
    Chambers (1) 1

Assists
    Sanchez (3) 5
    Iwobi (3) 3
    Cazorla (2) 2
    Walcott (2) 2
    Elneny (1) 1
    Perez (0) 1
    Akpom (0) 1
    Oxlade Chamberlain (0) 1
    Bellerin (1) 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It wasn't hard luck though. He shouldn't have hit the post from the positions he shot. He should have scored, particularly the last one.

I thought he was very unlucky. He did everything right but got the angle very slightly wrong. A couple of inches to the left is all we are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

From Arseblog's stats column
    Xhaka Red Card

First off, that is never a red card. You can have a look at the laws of the game there is nothing violent about that tackle whatsoever. It is a professional foul. He is not going in with reckless abandon. There is not a single hint of excessive force. Jon Moss simply got that wrong. And he is well known as the most mistake-prone referee in the League. Last season Moss made 13 “game changing” errors. That’s one error every other match.

Folks were quick to jump on Xhaka, calling that a “dumb”, “rash”, and “bone-head” tackle. But Xhaka was taking one for the team. Watch the replay again, with the score line 3-2, Arsenal had all the fullbacks forward and Xhaka was the only cover. Xhaka blows his cover and Barrow was about to be free down the right in three-v-two with the Arsenal center backs with Koscielny at least 30 yards from him. Xhaka must have realized late that his teammates were exposed and felt he needed to trip the player.

Xhaka had a bad game. That error for Sigurdson’s goal was stupid and really his cover on barrow was error number two. But this is a systemic problem with Arsenal where they feel like they have to have both fullbacks in the opposition 18 yard box when they are holding the lead. We have seen this countless times and all of the good players take a card there for the team.

Blame Xhaka all you want for the first move where Barrow beats him with a little dribble but you also have to admit that Arsenal’s system exposes players in such a way that an error is often catastrophic.

Also, blame Jon Moss. That was a truly horrible decision.

By the numbers is always a good read. Outlines how Xhaka had both a really good, and really bad game.

http://news.arseblog.com/2016/10/arsenal-3-2-swansea-by-the-numbers/?utm_campaign=autotwitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Regarding the red card:
    Xhaka Red Card

First off, that is never a red card. You can have a look at the laws of the game there is nothing violent about that tackle whatsoever. It is a professional foul. He is not going in with reckless abandon. There is not a single hint of excessive force. Jon Moss simply got that wrong. And he is well known as the most mistake-prone referee in the League. Last season Moss made 13 “game changing” errors. That’s one error every other match.

He's right, as well. Look at the laws, and there's no way it can be a red. The only way he could have been sent off in that situation, is if it's serious foul play.
    Serious foul play is a foul committed using excessive force (i.e., "the player...is in danger of injuring his opponent").

Not a chance of injury with that tackle, even with the sniper that got him in the back from row z.

gosplan wrote: »

Damn you, spent too much time dicking around with my quotes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I looked at that foul on twitter - it's a yellow 100%
    - but not a red by any stretch of the imagination

I think its clearly a red anyway, the only explanation I have for people saying its a yellow is arsenal tinted glasses. It really doesn't matter though, 3 points in the bag and Coq can do a better job than Xhaka did in the next game.
    Under what law is it red????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Nice to have plenty of centre mids to fill in the gaps anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

gosplan wrote: »

Finally some sense.

That third goal......Ozil is a genius. Granted the pass was sublime but Ozil's timing was impeccable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

omg how did walcott not get a hattrick?

And how was that a red card to Xhaka?

omg how did walcott not get a hattrick?

And how was that a red card to Xhaka?

Ill give Walcott his due he was class today regardless of those missed chances. Took two great goals and is proactive at the very least. I hope he keeps it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

If a world class striker got the chances Walcott got today he'd have scored at least four goals. Some of his misses were awful. He does get into great positions though and will always get goals because of this.
    where was Sanchez then today? His world class yet nowhere to be seen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sanchez was grand today :confused:

Sanchez had an assist? Seen nothing wrong with his play today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

He's no Walcott. That's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

this place is hard reading sometimes I really wonder what some people understand in football with the randomness that gets posted

* Walcott was excellent today, his two missed chances he hit the bar and post you'd swear he was hitting the corner flag. He scored 2!!!!
    * Sanchez getting called out, had a fine game
    * Some saying Xhaka was a red?? Really most obvious yellow ever

Just watched it on Arsenal player.

Walcott should have had more, but jesus, he was brilliant. I reckon those misses are gonna make him even more determined next week.

It was just magic to see him getting in on mistakes.

And Mesut. I do love you Mesut. That was brilliant.

And a red for a trip in their half? Would you p*ss off out of that. Red card me arse.

A very, very good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

mansize wrote: »
    The game was exciting off to see Panti in Soho with my other gay friends now.

Have we concluded if the red was justified yet?

no offence but do you expect the gay gooners to be different to others. and what it has to do with anything. i have my opinions as do others but no need to try to speak for a group always

The game was exciting off to see Panti in Soho with my other gay friends now.

Have we concluded if the red was justified yet?

no offence but do you expect the gay gooners to be different to others. and what it has to do with anything. i have my opinions as do others but no need to try to speak for a group always

Woah I wasn't - I was just specifying different group of friends. My bad. Mea culpa

Just caught MOTD highlights- Theo deserves a lot of credit for his two goals- he got himself into those positions and seized the opportunity of others mistakes- two good poachers goals.

Still can't see how that was a red card. Deliberate trip, middle of the field- yellow

Just caught MOTD highlights- Theo deserves a lot of credit for his two goals- he got himself into those positions and seized the opportunity of others mistakes- two good poachers goals.

Still can't see how that was a red card. Deliberate trip, middle of the field- yellow

Arsene said they won't appeal. Take the one match ban and miss the match against Middlesbrough, then move on.

Basil3 wrote: »

Arsene said they won't appeal. Take the one match ban and miss the match against Middlesbrough, then move on.

I don't see the point of an appeal - the FA won't change the decision they won't hang Moss out to dry for that. Xhaka was unlucky with what was his best contribution to the match IMHO

Arseblog's stats are very interesting. Made great reading. Mustafi was a little guilty today but it's the best Arsenal centre back pairing I've seen in a good few years

Joint top. Players hitting form. Xhaka more work to do in training and now time to do it. All positive.

(I did miss my flight home lol- booked one for later- back to bed)

3 match ban

Koscielney probably my favourite current Arsenal player now.

The defenders here must love him. He's so solid. I found myself watching him a lot yesterday- great movement and awareness. Very strong and determined

3 match ban

Yeah, that's what I thought. Arseblog had it down as 1 match at one stage, so I thought they had some inside information.

I don't know why they wouldn't appeal the 3 match ban, surely there would be plenty of evidence of similar incidents where that is only a yellow, and probably no example of that type of trip being a red.

It's nice to have other central options, but all it takes is one injury and we are looking thin again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Yeah, that's what I thought. Arseblog had it down as 1 match at one stage, so I thought they had some inside information.

I don't know why they wouldn't appeal the 3 match ban, surely there would be plenty of evidence of similar incidents where that is only a yellow, and probably no example of that type of trip being a red.

It's nice to have other central options, but all it takes is one injury and we are looking thin again.

Isn't a straight red for violent conduct only a 3 game ban?

JustTheOne wrote: »

Isn't a straight red for violent conduct only a 3 game ban?

That's what it would be considered for a straight red (other the goal scoring opportunity one ironically...)

Middlesbrough, Reading, and Sunderland are the three games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Could also be teaching Xhaka a lesson.. Accept it in the hope he learns...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Koscielney probably my favourite current Arsenal player now.

The defenders here must love him. He's so solid. I found myself watching him a lot yesterday- great movement and awareness. Very strong and determined
    He's so underrated. Comes with playing for us in a lean spell for the club though I guess.

Was slightly concerned that he struggled to match Barrow for pace on one occasion yesterday mind you; that's pretty rare to see. Not knowing much about the lad, is Barrow just really stupidly quick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The best thing for me about how Walcott is playing is regsrdless of the misses, he's actually getting the chances and getting into positions where he can get scrappy goals. I don't think that he's ever been one for those types of goals. If he stays fit, I think he'll have a massive contribution

On Xhaka's tackle, that's a professional foul for me. That's a 1 game ban, not the 3 that some have been mentioning above! If he's hit with a 3 game ban for that then Wenger will definitely be appealing!

Seamus Coleman got away without even a yellow for a far more dangerous tackle yesterday but Xhaka gets a red and a 3 game ban for that. Ridiculous. No consistency as usual from those wasters at the FA.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Professional foul in that scenario wouldn't even be a red. The ref has to have deemed it violent conduct (which is very harsh), so he's gone for 3 games. Good thing Coquelin is available again and the 3 games are pretty winnable anyway.

L'prof wrote: »
    The best thing for me about how Walcott is playing is regsrdless of the misses, he's actually getting the chances and getting into positions where he can get scrappy goals. I don't think that he's ever been one for those types of goals. If he stays fit, I think he'll have a massive contribution

On Xhaka's tackle, that's a professional foul for me. That's a 1 game ban, not the 3 that some have been mentioning above! If he's hit with a 3 game ban for that then Wenger will definitely be appealing!

Says on the PL that he is suspended until Nov. 6th so not sure what the story is.

Seamus Coleman got away without even a yellow for a far more dangerous tackle yesterday but Xhaka gets a red and a 3 game ban for that. Ridiculous. No consistency as usual from those wasters at the FA.

Has it been confirmed as a 3 match ban?

I think people are jumping the gun. It can still be only 1 game.

Professional foul in that scenario wouldn't even be a red. The ref has to have deemed it violent conduct (which is very harsh), so he's gone for 3 games. Good thing Coquelin is available again and the 3 games are pretty winnable anyway.
    Says on the PL that he is suspended until Nov. 6th so not sure what the story is.
    JustTheOne wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed as a 3 match ban?

I think people are jumping the gun. It can still be only 1 game.

If it's violent conduct and 3 games, I genuinely can't see Wenger being happy for him to miss 3 games! But one is the cup game against Reading, so I guess it wouldn't be too bad. Also, it's definitely not Nov 6th as then he'd miss the Spurs game which would be 4 games. He's due back for that one if it's 3! Having him fresh for Ludogorets away might be a good thing

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

It was either Serious Foul Play or Violent Misconduct he had to be sent off for and they are both 3 match bans

• Advertisement

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

It was either Serious Foul Play or Violent Misconduct he had to be sent off for and they are both 3 match bans

Professional foul all day long for me. If that happened right in front of the goal and Xhaka was the last man back I don't think we'd be having this conversation. He's just clipped him

L'prof wrote: »

Professional foul all day long for me. If that happened right in front of the goal and Xhaka was the last man back I don't think we'd be having this conversation. He's just clipped him

It was a trip in midfield - yellow card, simple

Ox on goals on Sunday.

Wenger is a man of few words have to guess what he's thinking most of the time!

And he will reevaluate his position at the end of the season if not playing regular enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We've five games in the next 2 1/2 weeks.

Xhaka can play in the 2 CL ones and the others aren't so difficult.

Really shouldn't affect us too much.

Must be winning the next 5 though, unforgivable not to.

So it's a new rule this season that deliberate foul means a sending off.

What that means for a 1 or 3 game ban I have no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Anywhere that I can see clips of the game? was out all day yesterday and missed motd

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Anywhere that I can see clips of the game? was out all day yesterday and missed motd

Sign up to the Arsenal player for free. I did it last night, that's where I watched it.

Soups123 wrote: »
    this place is hard reading sometimes I really wonder what some people understand in football with the randomness that gets posted

* Walcott was excellent today, his two missed chances he hit the bar and post you'd swear he was hitting the corner flag. He scored 2!!!!
    * Sanchez getting called out, had a fine game
    * Some saying Xhaka was a red?? Really most obvious yellow ever

I didn't say he wasn't good. I said he wasn't "world class". And he might as well have hit the corner flag as the post when the ball didn't end up in the net. The one that glanced off the bar was a sitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

5 game winning streak in the league, should be making it 6 with a home game against Middlesborough next weekend.

5 game winning streak in the league, should be making it 6 with a home game against Middlesborough next weekend.

:confused: That was 6 already!

399300.jpg

6 wins in a row is brilliant and no reason why we can't continue in that vein.
    We are playing well and we just have to tighten up at the back. Nice run of games coming but November is going to be exceptionally hard.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement