Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

L'prof wrote: »
    :confused: That was 6 already!

399300.jpg

We are doing even better than I thought.

It's a celebration!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

gosplan wrote: »
    We've five games in the next 2 1/2 weeks.

Xhaka can play in the 2 CL ones and the others aren't so difficult.

Really shouldn't affect us too much.

Must be winning the next 5 though, unforgivable not to.

So long as we win the two premier league games than I'll be happy. Don't really care for the EFL cup. Although as you say they are 5 winnable games, but if we have to drop points I'd rather it was in one of the games with Ludogorets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

I hope Elneny get used more
    He is a very good player
    I'm not sure about Xhaka yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

smilerf wrote: »
    He is a very good player

He has a bad habit of rushing in behind players to tackle and selling himself completely and being taken out of the game.

Like yesterday for the yellow card incident and just before he gave the ball away for the first Swansea goal.

Lots of promising signs but lots to work on too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

smilerf wrote: »
    He is a very good player

Like Xhaka a lot, but we need to make sure Elneny gets enough time on he pitch. I think he's great, don't want him to get fed up on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The fickleness in here

Xhaka has gone from the real deal to not so sure about him in one game

Internet has ruined football opinion for some

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Xhaka's the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've seen nothing from Xhaka to suggest he is any better than Coq. For me, our starting mid is still Cazorla and Coq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Quazzie wrote: »
    I've seen nothing from Xhaka to suggest he is any better than Coq. For me, our starting mid is still Cazorla and Coq.

The belters into the top corner?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The belters into the top corner?
    Not really a required attribute in a holding midfield that is there to protect the backs.

• Advertisement

I think its great that we suddenly have a dilemma between Elneny, Xhaka, and Coq tbh. We suddenly have a squad with a bit of serious competition in it and its no coincidence that all three are putting in serious shifts this season. And we have been crying out for a no nonsense more physical player in the middle with years. Now we have three

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Quote from Arsene:
    What’s good is that we win the games, but in the dressing room we feel like we can go up another level.

Can't say how good it is to have hunger like that in the team again. 6 league wins on the trot and the attitude in the team is they haven't reached their potential yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Really? Not the hugely improved forward passing that we've been missing since Arteta effectively left? If you're watching our games, I can't really understand how you can't see the difference that makes. Coquelin is a better tackler, and I'm not sure on Xhaka-Cazorla as a partnership, but for me Xhaka-Ramsey/Elneny is the way forward.

Cazorla-Coq have been our best midfield partnership in quiet some time. And you want to drop both of them?

Cazorla-Coq have been our best midfield partnership in quiet some time. And you want to drop both of them?

Yes, I want to improve the team. It has weaknesses, Coquelin moving forward means we have no defensive midfield sometimes. Wouldn't be against trying Coquelin with Xhaka though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Poor elneny hasn't put a foot wrong since arriving.

Where will he fit into the team in the future?

Is there a place for him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

JustTheOne wrote: »

I really hope so. Such a tidy player, positive, keeps the ball well, calm. He's excatly what we need. I'm willing to bet if he cost 30 million he would be in the first team too.

That's ox and xhaka who have said wenger barely speaks to the players.

Got me thinking is it why sometimes the players don't seem to know their individual job as in keeping shape etc.

Although it's known he likes to let players just express themselves on the pitch in their own way. Kind of giving them freedom.

Just always thought he was a one to one manager with each player.

I really hope so. Such a tidy player, positive, keeps the ball well, calm. He's excatly what we need. I'm willing to bet if he cost 30 million he would be in the first team too.

Yeah just can't see where he fits in with Ramsey to come back.

He looks a great talent but will he get the opportunity and will he remain patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

There'll be a place for him when the injuries inevitably happen. Good to have such strength in depth for a change.

There'll be a place for him when the injuries inevitably happen. Good to have such strength in depth for a change.

With Ramsey, santi, xhaka, Coq and Jack to return next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

With Ramsey, santi, xhaka, Coq and Jack to return next season?

Guaranteed that at least two of those guys will be injured at the same time. There'll be plenty of games to go around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

We are 8 games in to season and im not sure are we doing well or being lucky or wats the story and i dont know who are striker is where is giroud where is perez? Its a strange start to season for me but we are joint first and the win against chelsea was magic to watch so i guess im happy in all especially ozil scoring more goals and playing with more swag and confidence.

My concerns going forward are:
    Walcott is doing well for now but i feel striker situation is not sorted
    Injuries:all we can do is pray
    Cech:i know it sounds wild to alot of you but i think he is on the decline and quickly too hes lost his presence and agilty. I feel we will see more of ospina this season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Xhaka's forward passing is brilliant. It's fairly blindingly obvious that he offers that over Coquelin.

Xhaka's forward passing is brilliant. It's fairly blindingly obvious that he offers that over Coquelin.

7 games in and already people have made their minds up he isn't worth the money.

Look how long it has taken players to settle in the league.

And he has actually been good so far.

Look at ozil.

I dunno crazy times.

• Advertisement

7 games in and already people have made their minds up he isn't worth the money.

Look how long it has taken players to settle in the league.

And he has actually been good so far.

Look at ozil.

I dunno crazy times.
    Who said he isn't worth the money.?

I'm agreeing, he is good back up for Coq.

Who said he isn't worth the money.?

I'm agreeing, he is good back up for Coq.

Not you. Thought someone mentioned it a few pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

399353.JPG

People criticising xhaka for doing what he did baffles me. If he hadn't done what he did, Swansea were going 4 on 2 and could easily have scored. How many times have we called out for a player who's willing to do some of the dirty stuff. He did it, and took one for the team and prevented a goal that would have levelled things. He looks a quality player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Who said he's not worth the money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

kellso81 wrote: »

People criticising xhaka for doing what he did baffles me. If he hadn't done what he did, Swansea were going 4 on 2 and could easily have scored. How many times have we called out for a player who's willing to do some of the dirty stuff. He did it, and took one for the team and prevented a goal that would have levelled things. He looks a quality player

In that situation you drag him down or get a low key foot in, take the booking and continue on. Xhaka let him get too far away and then committed a blatant foul and left the ref no choice really. I still don't think it's a red but it was preventable while still stopping the attack.

I like Xhaka so far, he made a mistake on the weekend but it's ok it worked out, had Swansea won 4-3 because we couldn't hold with 10 men your above argument is invalid but that didn't happen.

I don't know how anyone could feel really strongly one way or the other on the guy after only seeing play a handful of games, but so far the positives out weigh the negatives for me.

• Advertisement

had Swansea won 4-3 because we couldn't hold with 10 men your above argument is invalid but that didn't happen.

But they didn't win 4-3, so my argument's perfectly valid :confused:

But they didn't win 4-3, so my argument's perfectly valid :confused:

I know... :confused:

I know... :confused:

'...so the statement you made post-fact was correct, but if there was an entirely different set of circumstances, leading to a completely different result in that we lost the match, and for some reason you made the same analysis, then that statement would have been completely wrong.'

'...so the statement you made post-fact was correct, but if there was an entirely different set of circumstances, leading to a completely different result in that we lost the match, and for some reason you made the same analysis, then that statement would have been completely wrong.'

... you alright mate?

Do you feel like I tried to diminish your post?

I was just making the point that in those situations you are faced with a choice, take him out, risk being sent off and hope your team can survive, or let him go and hope they don't score but still retain all 11 players for the remainder of the game.

Xhaka seemingly made the right choice, I had no issue with anything you said and I wasn't trying to refute anything, you seem a bit overly defensive?

... you alright mate?

Do you feel like I tried to diminish your post?

I was just making the point that in those situations you are faced with a choice, take him out, risk being sent off and hope your team can survive, or let him go and hope they don't score but still retain all 11 players for the remainder of the game.

Xhaka seemingly made the right choice, I had no issue with anything you said and I wasn't trying to refute anything, you seem a bit overly defensive?

I am just confused over why you're arguing over something that didn't happen

I am just confused over why you're arguing over something that didn't happen

I didn't argue with anyone over anything, again I just made the point that getting yourself sent off isn't always the best option. You're the only one arguing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I know somebody will disagree because of the outcome but for me he didn't risk getting sent off, by everyday refereeing standards anyway. That's a bog standard yellow. Not his fault the ref got it wrong.

AdamD wrote: »
    I know somebody will disagree because of the outcome but for me he didn't risk getting sent off, by everyday refereeing standards anyway. That's a bog standard yellow. Not his fault the ref got it wrong.

I agree to an extent, i think the ref was swayed by the manner in which he took him down, it seemed as cynical as they come where as a simple shirt tug would be a yellow no questions.

The Ox was saying he knew it would be red as the ref warned them before the game about what constitutes a red. That's his eight red card for club and country in the past 2 years encase anyone didn't know (I didn't).

Anyone who watched him previously know if he's generally so cynical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I agree to an extent, i think the ref was swayed by the manner in which he took him down, it seemed as cynical as they come where as a simple shirt tug would be a yellow no questions.

The Ox was saying he knew it would be red as the ref warned them before the game about what constitutes a red. That's his eight red card for club and country in the past 2 years encase anyone didn't know (I didn't).

Anyone who watched him previously know if he's generally so cynical?

From what I've seen of him, I wouldn't exactly call him cynical, a lot of his sending offs have just been clumsy tackles or him generally losing the head.

Xhakas sending off reminded me of Coquelins sending off against the spuds last season except Xhaka wasnt on a 2nd yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

In fairness, he hacked him down more than tripped him. For me it is a red. He prevented what could have been a dangerous situation, but luckily we held out. But it's great to see that we now have such great depth that we can cover him without too much worrying.

Walcott is still as frustrating as ever, even if he is scoring goals. He is not clinical enough for me. If we hadn't won, I would be singling him out along with Monreal.

• Advertisement

Xhaka should have just rugby tackled him. Have never seen anyone get sent off for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Xhaka should have just rugby tackled him. Have never seen anyone get sent off for that.
    Ah you mean the "Charlie Adam" :

https://youtu.be/z8_ziffsmZc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

jester77 wrote: »

Walcott is still as frustrating as ever, even if he is scoring goals. He is not clinical enough for me. If we hadn't won, I would be singling him out along with Monreal.

As long as Theo is scoring goals and tracking back he can do no wrong imo. Hes one of the last players i'd be singling out, along with Monreal who is being hung out to dry by Iwobi at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    As long as Theo is scoring goals and tracking back he can do no wrong imo. Hes one of the last players i'd be singling out, along with Monreal who is being hung out to dry by Iwobi at times.

Agree on both counts. So good to see Theo playing with verve and confidence. I'll excuse him those misses as long as he keeps using space so well and attacks defenders like he means it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

greendom wrote: »
    Agree on both counts. So good to see Theo playing with verve and confidence. I'll excuse him those misses as long as he keeps using space so well and attacks defenders like he means it.

Honestly can't remember him taking on a defender(maybe I was too drunk at the match).Walcott works better off 1 and 2 touches or running into through balls with 1 touch finishes i.e his 2 goals on Saturday, it's when he has time on the ball he seems to over think and gets dispossessed. Needs to be finishing his latter 2 chances, he got away with it on Saturday but another day we could have been punished.

And I still maintain it was never a red :)

Its a new rule brought in this season.

They said it on goals on Sunday, a deliberate trip is now a straight red.

Ref was 100% correct.

AdamD wrote: »

See above post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Ref was 100% correct.

Don't see that in any rules, when the bring that in? Saturday before kick off?

Ref was 100% correct.

http://arsenalist.com/f/2016-17/arsenal-vs-chelsea/ivanovic-yellow-card-after-beautiful-arsenal-play.html

So this should be red?

• Advertisement

Ref was 100% correct.

hmm, if that's true why has it taken 80 matches for this rule change to emerge? Where are all the red cards for all the other deliberate fouls happening every week?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement