Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

so we spend 40m on a cb but scrimp on a forward !!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

wawaman wrote: »

I'd be happy enough with that, just cos I really want to be hard to score against. More than anything.

God, I miss that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

We had a budget for transfers, and we have about 40m left out of that budget. Who would you prefer then, a world class cb, or a good striker? Great strikers are going for around 90m this year, so no hope of that level.

I'd say that we have a good striker at the moment, so world class cb all day long for me.

In fact, if it was up to me, the entire budget would be spent on bricks to build a big wall around our box for the United games.

Cos I really don't want that...jesus, it's hard to refrain from the C word here...manager to beat us this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

CatInABox wrote: »
    We had a budget for transfers, and we have about 40m left out of that budget. Who would you prefer then, a world class cb, or a good striker? Great strikers are going for around 90m this year, so no hope of that level.

I'd say that we have a good striker at the moment, so world class cb all day long for me.

Yea but is Mustafi is world class. I dont think he's worth £40M+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm happy with our transfers once these deals hey done

Timing of CB could have been better though

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Yea but is Mustafi is world class. I dont think he's worth £40M+

That's the thing. Before this window, if you asked people to name World Class defenders, I guarantee nobody would have said Mustafi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Never seen nor heard of Perez. Doesn't look like the man whose going to get us 20-30 goals in the league and help us with a title challenge. I really do hope i'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

DeclanRe wrote: »

Yea but is Mustafi is world class. I dont think he's worth 40M+
    I mean no disrespect with this, but I've seen him a few times and I do think he's very good. However, if miserly AW thinks he's worth 40 million, he must be exceptional!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He must be class, sure it's taken us all summer to convince Depor to sell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

Seems the budget for a CF was bigger until the CB nightmare arose.

As was said already it's the leftovers for a forward now. At least we're attempting to bolster our attaching options. He can't be too bad if Koeman wanted him....

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Yea lets just get these two in and get the support going and hope for the best. Ill get behind them 100%.
    Hopefully we can sort out the Ozil and Alexis contract stuff after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Seen a tweet from 76 days ago a Spanish journo

He said if Vardy don't come off Arsenal will sign Perez

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Desperate for an option at Striker so as has been said anyone will do at this point.

Interesting if true (from twitter so who knows), but I would be a little more annoyed if this was the case. I can see that if Lacazette had become an actual opportunity that we would have delayed signing anyone else, but at 20 million euro, why didnt we just buy Perez anyway, and sell off someone who is clearly not gonna get their game time (Cambell, Cazorla, Wilshere, Chamberlain ; not my preference but how i see Wenger thinking). It seems now our squad is being hugely bolstered by Youth Arsenal talents who Wenger just cant give up on, and unfortunately we can see that this is affecting the club transfers e.g Walcott must be a 30 mil Winger in this market, straight swap for perez and we actually have a position that we need to fill filled, and we have as much money as we started.

Its sad to say but my admiration for the club trying to grow players is diminshing considerably considering the hit our ambition is taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

We're taking our funking time with it if thats the case

Has Sanogo or anyone else gone on loan yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Desperate for an option at Striker so as has been said anyone will do at this point.

Interesting if true (from twitter so who knows), but I would be a little more annoyed if this was the case. I can see that if Lacazette had become an actual opportunity that we would have delayed signing anyone else, but at 20 million euro, why didnt we just buy Perez anyway, and sell off someone who is clearly not gonna get their game time (Cambell, Cazorla, Wilshere, Chamberlain ; not my preference but how i see Wenger thinking). It seems now our squad is being hugely bolstered by Youth Arsenal talents who Wenger just cant give up on, and unfortunately we can see that this is affecting the club transfers e.g Walcott must be a 30 mil Winger in this market, straight swap for perez and we actually have a position that we need to fill filled, and we have as much money as we started.

Its sad to say but my admiration for the club trying to grow players is diminshing considerably considering the hit our ambition is taking.
    We delayed any signing because Wenger and the board genuinely believed that Griezmann was coming, but that didn't work out. Perez is definitely a plan B. If anything the tweet (if true) is good news as it shows the board had a contingency in place, which is actually kind of refreshing after previous seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Quazzie wrote: »
    We delayed any signing because Wenger and the board genuinely believed that Griezmann was coming, but that didn't work out. Perez is definitely a plan B. If anything the tweet (if true) is good news as it shows the board had a contingency in place, which is actually kind of refreshing after previous seasons

How in the name of God can you say this as fact. Griezman? Really?

I'm not bothered on names and value as ES said I trust the scouting network, signings like Eleny proves that.

But don't make excuses for the lack of planing by declaring we had a huge signing like Greizman planned, that's was never the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Nobody knows what was planned or wasn't planned, no point arguing over it. Let's wait and see what happens and then maybe we'll find out if anything was in the works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I'm still amazed we only have a limited budget.

Not really competing with the big boys is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

We delayed any signing because Wenger and the board genuinely believed that Griezmann was coming,

Did Griezmann not sign a contract extension at the start of the summer, so this makes no sense. Even if not, why would he come to Arsenal? I'm not saying that to denigrate Arsenal, but he's the most sought after striker in the world, moving to Arsenal would be a step down for him.

Soups123 wrote: »
    How in the name of God can you say this as fact. Griezman? Really?

I'm not bothered on names and value as ES said I trust the scouting network, signings like Eleny proves that.

But don't make excuses for the lack of planing by declaring we had a huge signing like Greizman planned, that's was never the case
    We were told very early on by a reliable source about a madness than the club had planned. Athlelico wanted Costa, and they were confident, but with Conte placing faith in him, or knowing he'd be strengthening us by allowing him go, that deal never happened, and so ended the Griezman madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I'm still amazed we only have a limited budget.

Not really competing with the big boys is it.

Spending 100 million a year net is fine. As long as it's per year.

If you need to spend more than that to compete, you need a new manager IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

We were told very early on by a reliable source about a madness than the club had planned. Athlelico wanted Costa, and they were confident, but with Conte placing faith in him, or knowing he'd be strengthening us by allowing him go, that deal never happened, and so ended the Griezman madness.

Who's the "reliable source"? Most of them end up being jokers who know nothing.

Who's the "reliable source"? Most of them end up being jokers who know nothing.
    @afcCamden I think

@afcCamden I think

this guy is like the rest of the "itk's". if you throw enough stuff at the wall, something is bound to stick. He also said Vardy was a done deal....

this guy is like the rest of the "itk's". if you throw enough stuff at the wall, something is bound to stick. He also said Vardy was a done deal....

Vardy was as good as done though, as far as the club were concerned. Even Giroud made reference to it in an interview. Vardy did an about turn, that was beyond the club's control!

You really believe this? You have it all to a tee?

You really believe this? You have it all to a tee?
    It does all add up. You can't deny that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

@afcCamden I think

Is that Pablo? He doesn't know a thing, been spouting crap about everything all summer.

It does all add up. You can't deny that.

I'm sorry but if I'm honest it's Disney stuff how you can picture that all together

If Griezman was available we'd have been blown out of the water by a Bayern, Barce, Real, Chelsea, City, Utd etc.

Ornstein who is as close to reliable as you will see said we had a budget of about €90m that wouldn't get you a Griezman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Perez seems quite similar to Vardy judging by a few highlights videos.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Perez seems quite similar to Vardy judging by a few highlights videos.

Just announced he has just signed a new contract at Deportivo ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Source? ;)

SkySter wrote: »

Source? ;)
    Wind up merchant!

• Advertisement

Ornstein again... Interesting!

@GeoffArsenal @AST_arsenal AFC have funds to spend huge if AW wants player & deal is possible, as he said. But outside that, this is budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

emmetlego wrote: »
    Ornstein again... Interesting!

@GeoffArsenal @AST_arsenal AFC have funds to spend huge if AW wants player & deal is possible, as he said. But outside that, this is budget

I accept that tbh.

I know some people just want the money spent but if you're not buying world class, then don'y pay over the odds. Just so long as we're actually signing a competent striker and defender who will improve us.

But I still think that top drawer players wouldn't join us right now so saying we have the budget for them doesn't really mean anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Lol, me b*llocks

We need this done.

F*ck sake.

• Advertisement

That is 100% normal. In fact the fee is usually spread out over the course of the contract. This is non-news.

That is 100% normal. In fact the fee is usually spread out over the course of the contract. This is non-news.

Our offer being rejected is non-news? We're trying to gazump an Everton transfer at the very last minute. The idea is to get it over the line quickly, which shouldn't be a problem considering we know the release clause. If Everton are willing to pay in full and we aren't, game over.

Our offer being rejected is non-news? We're trying to gazump an Everton transfer at the very last minute. The idea is to get it over the line quickly, which shouldn't be a problem considering we know the release clause. If Everton are willing to pay in full and we aren't, game over.
    You're making a big assumption that Everton are willing to pay in full.

You're making a big assumption that Everton are willing to pay in full.

I imagine we'll know more by later this evening or tomorrow morning but this is another example of a penny-pinching initial offer for a player this summer. Can't be surprised by a club that waited a month to raise their offer for Holding by 1m.

Lads stop gettin on the roller coaster

Every player we are linked with always starts with

Arsenal interested click bate
    Arsenal leading the race click bate
    Arsene offer low figure shock click bate
    Arsenal in negotiations still click

After that's it usually doesn't happen

Xhacka, Eleny and Gab all came out of nowhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Cool the jets lads, we are now opposing Everton for middle aged non international players, who cares if they sign him or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I imagine we'll know more by later this evening or tomorrow morning but this is another example of a penny-pinching initial offer for a player this summer. Can't be surprised by a club that waited a month to raise their offer for Holding by 1m.

Virtually all transfer deals are paid in installments. Coruna rejecting it is part and parcel of the negotiation process.

The fact that they chose to air in public will piss the board off.

Lads stop gettin on the roller coaster

Every player we are linked with always starts with

Arsenal interested click bate
    Arsenal leading the race click bate
    Arsene offer low figure shock click bate
    Arsenal in negotiations still click

After that's it usually doesn't happen

Xhacka, Eleny and Gab all came out of nowhere

This transfer approach has literally nothing to do with 'click bait'. Do people even know what that means anymore? The most reliable Arsenal sources (Ornstein, Wilson, Cross) have all confirmed that we're interested in this player, and a very reliable source in Spain has confirmed that our bid is rejected. If those things are true - which they appear to be - people writing about it is not clickbait, it's reality.

If you're fine with the above 'roller coaster' and the fact we regularly miss out on players we were genuinely interested in due to low bids, fair enough. And none of the three players you mentioned 'came out of nowhere'. They all went through the same 'click bait' cycle but the difference is we bought them in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

greendom wrote: »
    Virtually all transfer deals are paid in installments. Coruna rejecting it is part and parcel of the negotiation process.

The fact that they chose to air in public will piss the board off.

Reputable Spanish sources saying deal is done!

greendom wrote: »
    Reputable Spanish sources saying deal is done!

Why does nobody ever link said reputable sources? :confused::D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement