Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Don't want Wenger gone until there's a viable replacement. All the top managers are locked into clubs at the minute, dunno who we'd be able to tempt. Koeman maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Even if he wins the league?

What would you expect the next man in to do, win the league??
    greendom wrote: »
    You know this full well Ken but it appears that it needs repeating. Arsenal during that 10 year period were in a very different place than the clubs you mention. The new stadium build put a severe restriction on the club and based on the spend available meant that Arsene actually over-achieved in that time span. This was recognised by the board and many supporters. Not everyone though, unfortunately.

Well there's really no point in discussing it I mean it's been discussed a million times on here some fans are happy with 4th and think Wenger has over achieved and that now things will get better etc etc. Others feel he has under achieved and been let off easy by the board and many supporters.

There's no right or wrong here it's just different perspectives and expectations, Greendom you've always been very pro Wenger and that hasn't changed, I feel like it's a waste discussing it with you cause neither of us have changed our tune from the countless times we've discussed it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Well there's really no point in discussing it I mean it's been discussed a million times on here some fans are happy with 4th and think Wenger has over achieved and that now things will get better etc etc. Others feel he has under achieved and been let off easy by the board and many supporters.

I agree with the sentiment Ken but I doubt anybody on here is genuinely happy finishing 4th

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiment Ken but I doubt anybody on here is genuinely happy finishing 4th

The irony is that those who want Wenger out are actually happy with us finishing 4th, as it means he'll probably be out the door. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It's too easy to look at a snapshot like the last 6/7 games and make a decision based on that. At the end of last season, I was finally resigned to the fact that it was probably time for Wenger to move on and that this would be his last season. I have however been very impressed with the club trying to make the necessary additions to compete for major trophies. If they managed to win one of the big ones this season, I'd sign him up for as long as he wanted to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There's no right or wrong here it's just different perspectives and expectations, Greendom you've always been very pro Wenger and that hasn't changed, I feel like it's a waste discussing it with you cause neither of us have changed our tune from the countless times we've discussed it before.

Fair enough - but surely you can see the club is in a much better place now than it has been for the last 10 years. Players don't need to be sold and we no longer have to trawl through the bargain bucket in the hope of finding a gem.

Squad is stronger now than it has been for a long time and we are better equipped to challenge than we ever have been since the move to the Emirates.

I think we need to win something big for the long term good of the club.

Look at the amount of players that reportedly turned us down this year, and it wasn't all wages they turned us down for!

No one wants to play for a second best team. We need to win something like the league or the CL to put us back on the map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

go fúck yourself :pac:

batistuta9 wrote: »
    go fúck yourself :pac:

father-ted-cursing.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

I don't mean this year, but in the past people were happy with 4th that was "over achieving".
    greendom wrote: »
    Fair enough - but surely you can see the club is in a much better place now than it has been for the last 10 years. Players don't need to be sold and we no longer have to trawl through the bargain bucket in the hope of finding a gem.

Squad is stronger now than it has been for a long time and we are better equipped to challenge than we ever have been since the move to the Emirates.

Of course, things are looking up behind the scenes and we're better prepared for the future etc but i'm not concerned too much about that I want to see us performing well and winning things and I haven't seen that enough over the past few years and despite the stadium etc we've had fantastic squads capable of winning trophies but we fall apart or under perform or fall painfully short, it's frustrating and it happens too often i'd imagine that's where most people's frustration stems from too, not everyone can be an optimist as much as they may want to be.

• Advertisement

on the squad, there's few more coming to the end of their deals.
    mert - summer
    santi - same, but apparently there's an extension
    ox - 18 i think
    ozil - 18
    sanchez - 18, wants a release clause too
    bellerin - 19, wenger mentioned it recently
    theo - must be soon
    giroud - 2 years maybe
    ospina & szcz, i like to keep both but can't see it

a busy time in the boardroom, though i wouldn't really expect them to sign until they know what's happening. one year rolling extension for wenger i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Lol thought the Wenger Out crowd would be lying low- not on boards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sono wrote: »
    It's vitally important that Wenger keeps Giroud out of that side for the foreseeable future, 20min impact sub chasing the game or domestic cup games would be all I would use him for he slows up the side too much

Yeah, but interestingly I'm very excited to see how he works as an impact sub.

I'm thinking about a defence who are wrecked from trying to keep Alexis and Theo out suddenly having to deal with a totally different threat. Could be great.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Yeah, but interestingly I'm very excited to see how he works as an impact sub.

I'm thinking about a defence who are wrecked from trying to keep Alexis and Theo out suddenly having to deal with a totally different threat. Could be great.

Him and/or Perez would both be great to bring on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

L'prof wrote: »
    It's too easy to look at a snapshot like the last 6/7 games and make a decision based on that. At the end of last season, I was finally resigned to the fact that it was probably time for Wenger to move on and that this would be his last season. I have however been very impressed with the club trying to make the necessary additions to compete for major trophies. If they managed to win one of the big ones this season, I'd sign him up for as long as he wanted to be honest

A snapshot of 1 defeat in 21 games.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

batistuta9 wrote: »
    on the squad, there's few more coming to the end of their deals.
    mert - summer
    santi - same, but apparently there's an extension
    ox - 18 i think
    ozil - 18
    sanchez - 18, wants a release clause too
    bellerin - 19, wenger mentioned it recently
    theo - must be soon
    giroud - 2 years maybe
    ospina & szcz, i like to keep both but can't see it

a busy time in the boardroom, though i wouldn't really expect them to sign until they know what's happening. one year rolling extension for wenger i'd say
    Walcott, Bellerin and Cazorla all signed new deals last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    A snapshot of 1 defeat in 21 games.

Yep, it's great. End result needs to be trophies though. This team is very capable of doing that but in the past has also been capable of falling at the last hurdle. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can achieve

Walcott, Bellerin and Cazorla all signed new deals last summer.

15 yeah? theo & bellerin are 19. caz in the summer with an option to extent read it on arseblog app the other day

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ah sorry, I misunderstood your post. Was thinking you meant 18 months :o

• Advertisement

Ah sorry, I misunderstood your post. Was thinking you meant 18 months :o

Yeah, was wondering what those numbers meant! :confused: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wenger out even if he wins the league is just plain nuts IMO.

I mean if he wins the league, why exactly do you want him out?

For underachieving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

gosplan wrote: »
    Wenger out even if he wins the league is just plain nuts IMO.

I mean if he wins the league, why exactly do you want him out?

For underachieving?

I would love to win the league, especially for Wenger. If he won the league you obviously wouldn't want him out.

However, looking back there was a few leagues titles that Arsenal could have won if Wenger had bought one or two decent players to fill some weak areas/cover in the team like defence. I think that's what annoys some of the fans.

Anyway, we should be enjoying the run at the moment and not looking for rows among ourselves!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Whether we win a top honour this season will be irrelevant to Wenger signing a new contract.
    He will be offered one and will have signed it long before any honours are decided on the field of play.
    Win or lose Wenger is not leaving and will probably be carried out kicking and screaming by lads in white coats, as I have said all along.

Very surprising that Arsenal didn't contest Xhaka's red card. Moss has been relegated to League 1 for tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Yes I see Moss is down to league 1. The red card was never going to be rescinded tbf

• Advertisement

Xhaka's suspension is done and dusted by next Saturday, so no big deal. Hopefully Elneny gets some game time.

Still interested to see where Ramsey is played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Are we on the box today?

emmetlego wrote: »
    Are we on the box today?

Only the special one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Wilshere looks terrible today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Happy 67th birthday Sir Wenger :D

14671240_1045780182197703_4642151441007141872_n.png?oh=c2c4beecf96cfdeb78b279cc434d13fa&oe=58A1A295

• Advertisement

Wilshere looks terrible today.

Yeah, have been keeping an eye. He also looks even more stocky than usual...or is it just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Basil3 wrote: »
    Xhaka's suspension is done and dusted by next Saturday, so no big deal. Hopefully Elneny gets some game time.

Still interested to see where Ramsey is played.

Unfortunately for him, he's probably best used as cover for Özil. He's not as effective from deep or out wide, and there are a million options already for who to play as the midfield two. I'd expect to see him on the wing a bit this season too though as options there aren't exactly overflowing. Especially if you're playing Sanchez up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Santi injured, or just a precaution?

Santi injured, or just a precaution?

According to physioroom he has an achilles injury and had a late fitness test. Doesn't sound major.

We're actually down to 2 central mids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

gosplan wrote: »
    We're actually down to 2 central mids.

Yeah but at least we have very good cover in that area. It's a real strength of the squad this season and leaves me feeling very optimistic for this season. We had an ageing Flamini and Arteta to come in this time last season. Also means we don't have to run players into the ground either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Interested to see how the Elneny-Coquelin partnership goes. Maybe it's just nostalgia but Arsenal pretty much haven't won't anything since switching from the two holding midfielders system to accommodate Fabregas. I've always favoured a return to it, for some games at least anyway. Perhaps not Middlesborough at home though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Spurs player gets away with an elbow to the face...not even a yellow. Oh how I want Jack to bang in a late winner.

Spurs player gets away with an elbow to the face...not even a yellow. Oh how I want Jack to bang in a late winner.

Spurs drop points though, excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Seen as Augero was banned after his elbow incident, Sissoko has to be pulled up by the FA for that. Spurs are looking toothless up front without Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Can anyone pm me please? cheers

Big double save from Cech. Poor from Kos.

....and off the post from Boro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Basil3 wrote: »
    Big double save from Cech. Poor from Kos.

....and off the post from Boro.

Sounds bad.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Sounds bad.

TBF it's been one way traffic the whole match, but those were the best chances for any side.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Sounds bad.

Seriously against the run of play tbf

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Cazorla is dearly missed.

Cech has kept this from being 2 or 3 to Boro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

x PyRo wrote: »
    Cazorla is dearly missed.

So important to the team.

• Advertisement

Just like Burnley, one of those games where Sanchez up front just takes him out of the game I think. Need Perez soon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement