Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Elneny is a class act. In my team ahead of Xhaka all day long.
    Giroud...what a finisher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

That has me buzzing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Good win but against the worst team I think i've ever seen in Premiership history. No commitment, energy or endeavour at all.

Every Arsenal player looked good today and we have no new injuries and came away with the 3 points. Can't ask for more than that.

November will define our season I feel.

Elneny is a class act. In my team ahead of Xhaka all day long.
    Giroud...what a finisher.

Both of them together is the future.

Sunderland send up the Fat Signal™ For Big Sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That was weird Sunderland got the penalty and you'd think they'd have went on and pushed us harder but they just gave up and we rightfully slaughtered them

We should have had a penalty before that anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Both of them together is the future.

I can't pick a midfield right now. Coquelin is becoming undroppable.

Coq is playing great stuff alright.
    Lovely to have the class of midfielders we have.

Good win but against the worst team I think i've ever seen in Premiership history. No commitment, energy or endeavour at all.

Every Arsenal player looked good today and we have no new injuries and came away with the 3 points. Can't ask for more than that.

November will define our season I feel.

Watmore and Defoe (and he is in the autumn of his career) aside they have absolutely nothing going for them. They are dead only to wash them. Another Villa in the reckoning.

I was no fan of Di Canio's managerial style but himself, Poyet, O'Neill, Steve Bruce, Dick Advocaat and Big Sam had alot to put up with.

As for ourselves, our drop off normally comes around February or March. I think we can negotiate November but its the tail end of the season that will define our season

If we are neck and neck going into the final week with whomever team(s) then i really cant ask any more than that. Obviously Id love us to win but so long as we dont die off i can handle it.

Coq is playing great stuff alright.
    Lovely to have the class of midfielders we have.

The best squad we've had arguably since 07/08 and its probably better because its more balanced in terms of experience. Couple of the lads were very raw back then and we suffered injuries. Its not quite an invincibles quality we have but then world football as a whole has suffered a dearth of phenomenal standout players. We were littered with them back then and thought the good times would never end. Bit like Ireland during the boom :)

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »

May even be too much for him this year. in one way relegation might free them from the shackles of mediocrity if they can let off some of the dead wood as part of their contract clauses ala Villa, but they face rebuilding. They have become a club where player ambitions have gone to die really. Kinda sad since historically they are a proud club.

Anyway, the only team that matters are currently top :) hopefully another slip up for City today and Palace to do a number on the Pool

Somewhere in Sam's house there's some gravy going cold.

Elneyney is a 40 million pound player. Wenger is a genius. He's just so tidy on the ball, short quick passes, always looking to pass forward too. It's what made Scholes a phenomenal player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Well done today lads. You're a great side to watch.

Unfortunately it won't be happening. Things didn't end on good terms at all between him and ownership and there were rumblings ever before the England talk started that Allardyce was unhappy with how the summer plans were developing.

Paully D wrote: »

Unfortunately it won't be happening. Things didn't end on good terms at all between him and ownership and there were rumblings ever before the England talk started that Allardyce was unhappy with how the summer plans were developing.

Ellis Short (assuming he is still involved) is a bit like Randy Lerner in that he's a bit of a dick id say. The ironic thing is Drumaville who brought alot of good to the club, sold it to Short as they thought he could bring it to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Good win, much needed 3 points after Boro. Thought it was going to be one of those days when we had a lot of chances that we couldn't convert on. Ox put in a peach of a cross for the first goal but wasn't great for the rest of the game and had a shot that was closer to the corner flag than the goal when it was one on one with the keeper :( Iwobi is good going forward but so poor at tracking back, he also had a poor game. Thought Gibbs played well, except for the silly yellow. The ref was a joke, was a peno on Sanchez before the Sunderland peno and he let them hit Sanchez all game. Great win all the same. I'd say Sanchez will be pushed out on to the wing and Giroud will be up front from now on. Whoever said Giroud for a hat-trick wasn't far off!

Paully D wrote: »

That's unfortunate Sam is the kind of manager Sunderland need- give mediocre players the kick up the hole they deserve

Özil + 3

Imagine spending 100m to buy back a player, imagine paying a self proclaimed special one a kings ransom to bring back success.
    Imagine paying a 34 yr old player albeit with a top reputation a massive signing fee

Now imagine your languishing 8 pts behind in 8th... Special one my hole!

• Advertisement

That was nice while it lasted lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Ibrahimovic:
    540 minutes
    35 shots
    0 goals

Giroud:
    5 minutes
    2 shots
    2 goals

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Giroud and Ozil finally register a league goal and assist respectively :D Stats for the season below. Totals on the right!

Goals
    Sanchez (6) 8
    Walcott (5) 8
    Ozil (3) 6
    Oxlade Chamberlain (1) 5
    Cazorla (2) 2
    Koscielny (2) 2
    Giroud (2) 2
    Xhaka (1) 2
    Perez (0) 2
    Chambers (1) 1

Assists
    Sanchez (3) 5
    Iwobi (3) 3
    Cazorla (2) 3
    Oxlade Chamberlain (1) 3
    Perez (0) 3
    Walcott (2) 2
    Ozil (1) 2
    Elneny (1) 1
    Bellerin (1) 1
    Gibbs (1) 1
    Ramsey (1) 1
    Akpom (0) 1
    Giroud (0) 1

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Giroud is a sexy bastard. That is all.

The fawning over Liverpool on BT is tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

The fawning over Liverpool everywhere is tiresome.

Is this what you meant?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Big game coming up in league.

Beat Spurs and I might start believing we can challenge.

Really want Santi back. Any updates?

gosplan wrote: »
    Big game coming up in league.

Beat Spurs and I might start believing we can challenge.

Really want Santi back. Any updates?

Physioroom says Santi, Monreal, and Theo all available from Tuesday.

UK TV cant get enough of Klopp, could this be "their year"????

But managerial failure Neville calls Wenger Niave or Arrogant... (irony)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just spotted this on facebook
    Laurent Koscielny has made just 2 fouls in 810 minutes of Premier League action this season.

Both were on Diego Costa.

Phenomenal stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Quazzie wrote: »
    Just spotted this on facebook

Phenomenal stat.

Both were on Costa and both were deserved!!

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/afcvideo/status/792519268470517761

Sanchez scored his 50th for the club yesterday, some crackers in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

The fawning over Liverpool on BT is tiresome.

It's really irritating. Sunday supplement on sky this morning opened with a Klopp / Liverpool for title love in ffs.

Hopefully it will keep the pressure off us and we can just get on with it relatively unnoticed.

Id rather they fawned over them than us tbh. An ideal situation

0 points separates top 3
    1 point separates top 4
    2 points the top 5

0 points separates top 3
    1 point separates top 4
    2 points the top 5

Nice to have a tight grouping. I wouldn't be confident if we were 5 points clear at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Nice to have a tight grouping. I wouldn't be confident if we were 5 points clear at this stage.

I'll be very happy if we're in the leading group come the end of November. Tough month ahead.

I'm confident because our injury levels appear lower than usual and to have such key players as Ramsey and Giroud coming back could make a huge difference.

Fingers crossed the injury numbers remain relatively low.

I'd be delighted if we were 5 points clear.

I'd be delighted if we were 5 points clear.

Everytime we've gone 5 points clear, we lose focus and f*ck up real bad.

Very happy to be with the pack right now

Everytime we've gone 5 points clear, we lose focus and f*ck up real bad.

Very happy to be with the pack right now

How far you looking back to when we've got 5 points in front? Last season I think we only ever got 2 in front. Can't remember anything more than that for a good while.

Like a horse in a long race you don't want to lead from the front to early, stay on the shoulder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Like a horse in a long race you don't want to lead from the front to early, stay on the shoulder

Beautiful analogy. Means f**k all when it comes to football though.

emmetlego wrote: »

Not really, mot many of the early leaders win the league

Not really, mot many of the early leaders win the league

Yeah, but the reason they didn't win isn't that they were early leaders. Maybe they didn't lead by enough points early on :D

Assuming you need 80-85 points to win the league, I don't really care when we get them.

It also means that you could drop 5 points during a bad spell and still be with the pack instead of 5 behind them and playing catch-up.

I'd say Wenger would prefer to be 5 ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I haven't posted in here in a long time but still read from time to time.

Very happy with the team at the moment and in particular the depth in midfield. Its great that even without players of the quality of Cazorla and Xhaka and Ramsey only coming back, we can still have a quality partnership in Elneny Coq starting.

Lets hope we can keep it up, Its gonna be very hard to win the league this year I feel but its gonna be a great race with at least four team capable of winning.

Also, Sanchez <3

emmetlego wrote: »

I dunno, i think its better to be neck and neck for the best chunk of the season because it keeps things fresh and sharp. Too big a lead and teams get a little complacent.

It also means that you could drop 5 points during a bad spell and still be with the pack instead of 5 behind them and playing catch-up.

I'd say Wenger would prefer to be 5 ahead.

Another way of looking at it although i prefer having the pressure to go out and win each week

Another way of looking at it although i prefer having the pressure to go out and win each week

But isn't it a well known, undisputed fact that we crumble under pressure? :p

Basil3 wrote: »
    But isn't it a well known, undisputed fact that we crumble under pressure? :p

We certainly crumbled last year and in 2008 but we seem to have better leaders this year all over and a stronger squad with better depth. Its up to us to validate that theory now.

I also seen the team who would become the invincibles the following season throw away the league in 2002/03. The best of teams with big leads can get sloppy. Newcastle in 96, United in 98, Us in 2003.

Its better to have the pressure go out and win each week and if you cant live with the heat of that then you can have no complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

So, November is coming, historically one of our worst months. The graph shows average points per game for each month under Wenger.

lcpKE1S.png

Spurs, Utd and Bournemonth, could be a significant month regarding how we do for the rest of the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement