Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Wish we'd kept Campbell and loaned Ox instead.

X1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

A point at home is just not good enough for me.
    You need to be winning these games.
    Kos is a good player but he gives away too many penalties.
    The team didn't seem up for the game today, were they poorly motivated or should they even have to be motivated for a Spurs game?

How many penalties has he given away? It was a soft one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mansize wrote: »
    How many penalties has he given away? It was a soft one too.

I don't know how many but he seems to me to concede a lot. Some very needlessly too.

4th urgh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

mansize wrote: »
    Chambo no use
    I've fixed that for you there. He needs to up it big time or be moved on in Jan. Just go out and take a class RW from somebody. Anyone would be better than him!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't know how many but he seems to me to concede a lot. Some very needlessly too.

I think that's the first he's conceded for a long time. Before today he had only committed 2 fouls all season.

Cut the guy a bit of slack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Disappointing result, especially our performance and lack of fight in the 2nd half. Spuds had the better chances too. Disappointing peno to give away, Kos didn't have a good game, nearly everyone didn't. This is what worries me with us, we're great one week and awful the next, if our players can't get themselves up for a derby game then that scares me.

Chelsea and Liverpool are blowing teams away (top ones too) with ease, even at this stage I can't see them dropping many points. But I could see us losing at home to say Sunderland and it wouldn't shock me. We're hit and miss. That's why I can't see us winning the title, our squad is the best but we have a lot of weak personalities in the squad too.

Utd game in two weeks is a must win now, and we have to hope Liverpool and Chelsea have a sticky patch sometime during the year.

• Advertisement

Ibra won't be playing against us after the break.

I do wonder about Arsene at times. Elneny cant seem to get a look in under him. He took off Walcott today who looked dangerous every time he got on the ball for Chamberlain who was shíte when he came on. He looked at Iwobi for far too long. Campbell showed enough promise last year to remain while The Ox has been woeful for years now.

For a fellow defender you are very harsh on Kos who has barely put a foot wrong all season. Saved us move points than he's lost us.

Look at the Spurs player for that penalty again. He was looking where to fall before he even connected with Kos and stuck a leg out into the bargain. Ref was had a little there.

Look at the Spurs player for that penalty again. He was looking where to fall before he even connected with Kos and stuck a leg out into the bargain. Ref was had a little there.

It was soft, but like all forwards, they know when the contact is made

There was a stat that Kos had only commited two fouls or something all season. Give him a break its one game, hes an excellent player

• Advertisement

Iwobi offered no cover to Monreal on that wing. He'd want to buck up his act, he hasnt made it yet if he thinks he has. We should have been two up at half time (granted we looked shaky at times)

I just cant see us winning the league unless we dramatically improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

The amount of times Alexis gave the ball away in the second half was so frustrating. Obviously he can do something special at a moments notice but when he is playing that poorly he should be off.

Wind your necks in lads.
    I said Kos is a great player BUT he does jump in a bit needlessly at times and of course an attacker is going to go down easily to try and get a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Iwobi offered no cover to Monreal on that wing. He'd want to buck up his act, he hasnt made it yet if he thinks he has. We should have been two up at half time (granted we looked shaky at times)

I just cant see us winning the league unless we dramatically improve.

He did actually, for the 20 or so minutes in the first half where we were completely on top, he was dropping much deeper and it showed. But in the second half he went back to the same routine of just drifting around off the ball.

I just don't understand why it's something he doesn't work on more, as vital as his attacking contributions have been at times he's worse a passenger than Walcott at his worst. I think he's being over protected, he should have had an absolute bollicking over his performance today.

Frustrating game to watch overall, albiet with some positive moments on the break on occasion, and penalty aside the defense did their job (even if it was a little nervy at times). The poor passing in the final third really did it in for us though, Spurs looked at sizes and sevens with your man Wimmer in the centre of the back three but we never tried to put him under pressure.

One of those games where the lack of common sense in footballers so blindlingly obvious. They played into Sp*rs hands so often when attacking yet never learned.

I see the 2 big winners this weekend were the teams with no European football for distraction. Coincidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

greendom wrote: »
    I see the 2 big winners this weekend were the teams with no European football for distraction. Coincidence?

Ah I wouldn't read too much into that IMO. As both Chelsea and Everton weren't in Europe. Same with Liverpool and Watford. Whereas Arsenal and Spurs both played in Europe. So it's the same for both teams. Might be relevant though when a team who played in Europe is up against a team who had the whole week off, like in the Man City - Middlesbrough match or Swansea - Man Utd etc.

Ah I wouldn't read too much into that IMO. As both Chelsea and Everton weren't in Europe. Same with Liverpool and Watford. Whereas Arsenal and Spurs both played in Europe. So it's the same for both teams. Might be relevant though when a team who played in Europe is up against a team who had the whole week off, like in the Man City - Middlesbrough match or Swansea - Man Utd etc.

Apart from United, no one who played in Europe this week managed a win. Leicester and Southampton would certainly have been expected to win their games as of course were City.

You're right Arsenal and Spurs playing each other cancelled out the European effect but it meant the quality and intensity of the game was reduced.

Apart from United, no one who played in Europe this week managed a win. Leicester and Southampton would certainly have been expected to win their games as of course were City.

You're right Arsenal and Spurs playing each other cancelled out the European effect but it meant the quality and intensity of the game was reduced.

Playing last Tuesday night has little or nothing to do with that game today.
    We had no excuses for not winning today except that we weren't good enough today.

Its helping them no doubt. Still think though we should have at least held on when we took the lead.

Let's see how we do at OT next Sat. That will go a long way to defining how the season will go for us. We will need to play much better than we did today to get anything from the game.

Ah feck it's not until the 19th.
    Another feckin International break.

Wind your necks in lads.
    I said Kos is a great player BUT he does jump in a bit needlessly at times and of course an attacker is going to go down easily to try and get a penalty.

But not so much this season.

The two clowns on MOTD talking shíte. Obviously if Wimmer put the ball into his own net then it removes the whole question of who was offside.

To say the lads standing offside influenced his need to head the ball is also shíte. As a defender he has to head it anyway. He wasnt even aware of the offside players. His eyes were on the ball, thats what defenders do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The two clowns on MOTD talking shíte. Obviously if Wimmer put the ball into his own net then it removes the whole question of who was offside.

To say the lads standing offside influenced his need to head the ball is also shíte. As a defender he has to head it anyway. He wasnt even aware of the offside players. His eyes were on the ball, thats what defenders do

Did they mention anything about the blatant penalty in the first half which Arsenal were denied?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Did they mention anything about the blatant penalty in the first half which Arsenal were denied?

Dont think so from what i recall. Murphy and Shearer of course who else.

• Advertisement

Thats terrible. Wishing him a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Don't think it's that serious, seems he got stitches for a torn eyelid. Still nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Who would have thought playing in Turkey could have been such an eye opening experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Who would have thought playing in Turkey could have been such an eye opening experience
    Rumour has it he's off to play in the MLS for the Orlando Pirates :pac:

Why are they called the pirates? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Coz they aarrrrrrrrrr.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

keano_afc wrote: »
    Coz they aarrrrrrrrrr.

Sweet jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Could do with a world class winger in January, I'm really not happy with our options out wide, Sanchez aside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

Quazzie wrote: »
    Rumour has it he's off to play in the MLS for the Orlando Pirates :pac:

He'll fit right in with an eye patch so...

• Advertisement

*face palm*

Could do with a world class winger in January, I'm really not happy with our options out wide, Sanchez aside.

Ox was absolutely dreadful when he came on Sunday. Wonder if Mikhilitarian is regretting his choice yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Ox was absolutely dreadful when he came on Sunday. Wonder if Mikhilitarian is regretting his choice yet ?

I've always backed Ox to come good, I liked him from the get go but I can't defend him anymore, he just doesn't look like he's going to blossom, sell him off to Swansea or something.

Walcott although he has good some good form lately just isn't good enough to be our main RW that we have to rely on in IMO and Iwobi has a long way to go before I'd be starting him regularly, we definitely need a Mkhitaryan class player for the right wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

FixitFelix wrote: »
    The Ox really has no footballing brain whatsoever,honestly think he needs to be moved on.
    Point not bad considering we were poor

Over in Campbell-land on honeymoon at the moment. Was really disappointed yesterday morning. Got up at 6 to watch it but none of the channels in the hostel bar had the match. The Wi-Fi was in a 2 hour hiatus so I couldn't stream it even keep up to date with the score. Went to sleep and woke up to hear we'd taken the lead only to concede an equaliser. Very disappointing, but I would have been far more annoyed had I watched it. Nothing a day swimming at a waterfall didn't cure anyway :p

Is there an international break and then away to United? Worried about that game, think it's a massive ask. Wenger breaking the Mourinho hoodoo won't be easy! Think they need to score 1st to have any chance!

L'prof wrote: »
    Over in Campbell-land on honeymoon at the moment. Was really disappointed yesterday morning. Got up at 6 to watch it but none of the channels in the hostel bar had the match. The Wi-Fi was in a 2 hour hiatus so I couldn't stream it even keep up to date with the score. Went to sleep and woke up to hear we'd taken the lead only to concede an equaliser. Very disappointing, but I would have been far more annoyed had I watched it. Nothing a day swimming at a waterfall didn't cure anyway :p

Is there an international break and then away to United? Worried about that game, think it's a massive ask. Wenger breaking the Mourinho hoodoo won't be easy! Think they need to score 1st to have any chance!

Lucky sod!

Re Utd: I'm delighted Ibra's unable to play. As long as we look after Rooney, I think we'll be able to get a point at least

L'prof wrote: »

Probably pissed off Joel was dropped

• Advertisement

Probably pissed off Joel was dropped

Joel would have been a lot better than Ox or Iwobi yesterday.
    Always gave 100%.

Arse blog news reporting that Bellerin has signed a contract extension. Great news but I'll wait for Arsenal.com to confirm before I'll celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Lucky sod!

Re Utd: I'm delighted Ibra's unable to play. As long as we look after Rooney, I think we'll be able to get a point at least

I don't think Ibra missing will help us, if they play Rashford up front he could cause us a lot of problems.

I'd be disappointed if we get a point, if we can play to our best abilities (something you can't rely on with our team) we should be winning this game. We can't let Chelsea and Liverpool even City get a little gap on us cause I don't see them dropping points that many times. Plus we need to put a stamp on this title run after a few disappointing games.

Looper007 wrote: »
    I don't think Ibra missing will help us, if they play Rashford up front he could cause us a lot of problems.

I'd be disappointed if we get a point, if we can play to our best abilities (something you can't rely on with our team) we should be winning this game. We can't let Chelsea and Liverpool even City get a little gap on us cause I don't see them dropping points that many times. Plus we need to put a stamp on this title run after a few disappointing games.

Wenger doesn't seem to have it in him anymore to go to OT and get a win though. I agree that we should be able to go and take them on but I don't believe it will happen. There'll be a brainfart somewhere and we'll probably get nothing. Wenger said we "were too nervous" yesterday??? How did that happen? A repeat of yesterday and we will get no points at OT.

I hope i'll be deliciously surprised but I doubt it.

We knocked em outta the FA cup at OT two years back lads, and Wenger beat Mourinho in the Community Shield that year too if I remember correctly. Its all just superstition, most of the years we lost these games we wern't even competing for the title.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement