Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

JustTheOne wrote: »
    As in no Mustafi?

No sorry after Perez and mustafi that would be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

greendom wrote: »
    So away to Ludo will be 4th.

Yup, last game away to Basel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

wawaman wrote: »
    As in no Mustafi?

No sorry after Perez and mustafi that would be it
    Unless you believe Ornstein, he said that if the right striker came up, funds would be made available for him! So the WC type for 100 million is I guess what he means here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

That makes spending 200 million, does Arsenal have that kind of money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Madness... Two meh players two months too late, forgive me if I'm not doing cartwheels over here.

Madness... Two meh players two months too late, forgive me if I'm not doing cartwheels over here.

Can't imagine you're a Max Whitlock so you're excused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

mansize wrote: »
    Can't imagine you're a Max Whitlock so you're excused

How would you know?

Don't know much about Perez, but I have seen Mustafi, he is far from Meh! I think he is a genuine class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I didn't think we'd sign anyone and i'm certainly surprised by tonight's news.
    Very few seem to have heard of Lucas and he's not the finished article we wanted but he's better than nothing i suppose and could work out well for us in time.
    The defender Mustafi is a German international and seems to be highly regarded (so was Mert :pac:). We certainly needed a CB.

I'm really shocked by these signings, in a good way. Wenger must have been effected by the booing at the first two games.
    Not the striker we wanted but might just work out.

How would you know?

Are you a two Olympic gold medal winning gymnast?

I mean the chances are remote!

• Advertisement

I didn't think we'd sign anyone and i'm certainly surprised by tonight's news.
    Very few seem to have heard of Lucas and he's not the finished article we wanted but he's better than nothing i suppose and could work out well for us in time.
    The defender Mustafi is a German international and seems to be highly regarded (so was Mert :pac:). We certainly needed a CB.

I'm really shocked by these signings, in a good way. Wenger must have been effected by the booing at the first two games.
    Not the striker we wanted but might just work out.

I can't imagine this was done since the first two games. I'm sure this was being worked on for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im happy enough with that, I didnt expect us to sign anyone really so better late then never. Mustafi seems to be highly regarded so thats good and I think he'll be thrown in straight away. I dont think any of us know what to expect from Perez but nobody will complain about the fact that he isnt a megastar if he starts banging in the goals. Hardly anyone knew who Mahrez was this time last year so Im willing to give him a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just out of interest, how many times have you watched them play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

mansize wrote: »
    I can't imagine this was done since the first two games. I'm sure this was being worked on for a while

There were rumors about Mustafi but hardly anyone even heard of the other guy, Lucas, except the Everton manager it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Vieira, Petit, Lauren, Ljunberg, Henry etc were all a bit of a meh players before they signed for us as was Laurent Koscielny. Give them a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There were rumors about Mustafi but hardly anyone even heard of the other guy, Lucas, except the Everton manager it seems.

When the Vardy move was meant to be happening a Spanish journalist said that we would be in for him if Vardy didn't happen. I imagine this lad was always a back-up if bigger signings didn't happen.

I really think the poor crowd reaction over the last 2 games had absolutely nothing to do with these signings,

Everyone is aware that these 2 signings do not constitute madness.

They are 2 solid signings that should improve the squad in much needed areas. How much ? Time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Thank god we have the defender coming in. The attacking player isn't very high profile but I'm not too fussed. Could be a bargain. 20million isn't much in football these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Happy with signings as opposed to none. If it the truth has set in and Wenger knows he wasnt attracting the big guns or that he couldnt afford them(..) then im happy it wasnt like last summer and we just did nothing. You cant unearth gems unless you go digging!

One report of Perez is that he seems like he's constantly going and is hungry, nice trait to be associated with. Maybe Ozil will bring out the best in him!

And mustafi - if thats the money we pay, so be it. Transfers are ridiculous these days, another glut of money to spend with tv deals next year - and Asano was basically buying an arsenal Billboard in asia so thats some more cash in the wallet. Bit more optimistic about the season now though - just some damn options is nice and get a first XI of players playing in the right positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Now if we could just discover some Barca DNA in Theo we'd be sorted :D

gandalf wrote: »
    Now if we could just discover some Barca DNA in Theo we'd be sorted :D

He's pickpocketed Arsenal for years! That's very Barça

Can't believe the papers are reporting this as reactionary- I mean it's not like shopping at Tesco! You can't just go out and buy like that straight away.

Still it fits the Sky Sports News Narrative so why would they say any different

Im glad like everyone else that we are buying a CB, but Im looking forward even more to having a striker come in whos actually hitting his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Papers are funny
    Saying we passed up on Perez one month ago

Yet one month ago not one paper said we were interested in him don't mind passed him up

Absolute bluffers

• Advertisement

Papers are funny
    Saying we passed up on Perez one month ago

Yet one month ago not one paper said we were interested in him don't mind passed him up

Absolute bluffers

John Cross really has gone rogue. Annoyed that he didn't get the exclusive maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Did we just sign the second most expensive CB of all time?

I got David Luiz - £50 million, then Mustafi.

Pretty bananas tbh - very un-Wenger-ish to blow that much on a CB.

Gives a good insight though - Xhaka, Mustafi - right player, right age = spend cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

gosplan wrote: »

Gives a good insight though - Xhaka, Mustafi - right player, right age = spend cash.
    Was stones not 37

John Cross really has gone rogue. Annoyed that he didn't get the exclusive maybe?

was thinking that, he has gone right off the deep end in the last week. The paperback version of his book on wenger was released this week so dont know if that has anything to do with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Press conference this morning at 9am. Would nice if there was an announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

smilerf wrote: »
    Was stones not 37

Ah yeah, forgot him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Lads Chelsea were seriously interested in Mustafi.

Did we actually beat them to a transfer:)

How nice that would be!

Wenger had a smirk on his face when asked about transfers. He confirmed he is getting deals done on both players.

• Moderators Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Wenger said "He expects the next few days to be very busy, so be on alert."

Hinted at Chambers maybe going on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Wenger said "He expects the next few days to be very busy, so be on alert."

Very busy as in the 2 players we're pretty sure that are being signed or is there a sneaky signing #3 up his sleeve? I'll be disappointed if it's just the 2 after that comment :D

Arsenal agree 35m deal with Valencia for Mustafi. Will fly to London for medical, seal terms on 5yr contract. Perez medical also today #AFC

Again from Ornstein

Asked whether Mesut Ozil (below) will be fit to start at Watford on Saturday, Wenger says: "He is not far now. A decision I have to make in the next 24 hours."

What about Olivier Giroud?

"A fraction behind physically."

• Advertisement

Nice one, one more year for Wenger after this one once the squad has "settled".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads I put Holding in my Ff team last week. Will he be there for awhile or at least til he cocks up
    What ya reckon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

gosplan wrote: »

Wouldn't say so but then with exchange rate fluctuations you can't really have a definitive list. I'd say the below were more expensive in real terms, and definitely all in relative terms:

Thiago Silva
    Stones
    Mangala
    possibly Ferdinand, Alves and Thuram too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Nice one, one more year for Wenger after this one once the squad has "settled".

This is his last year isn't it?

This is his last year isn't it?
    I strongly doubt it unless he's outside top 4/wins the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Good to get 2 players in. We really need a win this weekend though or it may be too late already.

I really cant stand the madness talk. I would love a big signing and believe we may have been interested in one but referring to it as "madness" sounds like something from a schoolyard

Good to get 2 players in. We really need a win this weekend though or it may be too late already.

I really cant stand the madness talk. I would love a big signing and believe we may have been interested in one but referring to it as "madness" sounds like something from a schoolyard

Just a bit of fun. I always thought football supporters were school kids who never grew up. When talking about football anyway

Just a bit of fun. I always thought football supporters were school kids who never grew up. When talking about football anyway

Yeah, I view most of them as grumpy old men :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Yeah I know I don't know why it annoys me so much I guess just frustration of not seeing anyone come in.

I think at the moment I am both a big kid and grumpy old man depending on the time of day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

Can someone please explain this ''madness' talk . I'm so confused

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement