Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016/2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Regardless of what system is played you need shots on target to win games.
    We had one today and scored. Imagine that.
    We had better players on paper than them but were lucky to get a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's time Wenger either find Ramsey a spot in CM or sell him

Very true. In general, there's no option I love on either wing now that Sanchez has gone up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

greendom wrote: »
    Too many fighting losses at OT over the years.

Delighted to give Mourinho a taste of his own medicine for once.

Wenger Mourinho'ed that finished manager out of it :D Point away from home and take the three points when they come to the Emirates. Need to go on a winning run now until City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Stats below!

Player|League Goals|Total Goals|League Assists|Total Assists
    Sanchez|6|8|3|5
    Walcott|5|8|2|2
    Ozil|3|7|1|3
    Oxlade Chamberlain|1|5|2|4
    Giroud|3|4|0|1
    Xhaka|1|3|0|0
    Cazorla|2|2|2|3
    Koscielny|2|2|0|0
    Perez|0|2|0|3
    Chambers|1|1|0|0
    Ramsey|0|0|1|2
    Iwobi|0|0|3|3
    Elneny|0|0|1|2
    Bellerin|0|0|1|1
    Gibbs|0|0|1|1
    Akpom|0|0|0|1
    Own Goal|1|1|0|0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wenger left the subs way too late. Mourinho was quicker off the mark and nearly got the rewards for it. Lucky we got out goal in the end. Far from a managerial masterclass, but a point at OT is not to be sniffed at given our current form.

Also that's one win and three draws since Cazorla has been out.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

gosplan wrote: »
    Also that's one win and three draws since Cazorla has been out.

Were F----ed without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

That was pretty poor, I just cant understand why we always look so tepid for the big games, no bit of fire or passion whatsoever and the game passed several of the players by. Ramsey was woeful, id have hooked him at HT, Ozil too was a passenger. Very slack going forward but at least we got a point, not that we deserved it.

Were F----ed without him

If one player makes such a difference to the team then we are f---ed for sure. The problem is that in these games such as at OT too many big names hide. Not good enough and needs to be addressed by the manager.
    It's become embarrassing and should be addressed by the manager.

If one player makes such a difference to the team then we are f---ed for sure. The problem is that in these games such as at OT too many big names hide. Not good enough and needs to be addressed by the manager.
    It's become embarrassing and should be addressed by the manager.

I get the issues that you're talking about but I think this was just a cagey affair where we played with a team selection and approach 'not to lose' rather than to win.

Just reading the 'by the numbers' piece on arseblog and that's the first league goal vrs Jose since Gilberto Silva in 2007.

Paraphrasing here but his simple formula to defend the edge of the 18 yard box, invite Arsenal forward and counter has worked far too well.

So what happened today?

Wenger played a defensive team, Utd went to hand them the possession in the first half and Arsenal did very little with it and didn't take any risks.

So Utd actually played in the second half rather than waiting for us to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Could have been an amazing smash and grab but they scored first. Huge pity.

I don't think we're hugely reliant on Caz or Bellerin but I think Coq, Rambo and Elneny in one team = handbrake firmly engaged.

• Advertisement

I get the issues that you're talking about but I think this was just a cagey affair where we played with a team selection and approach 'not to lose' rather than to win.

Just reading the 'by the numbers' piece on arseblog and that's the first league goal vrs Jose since Gilberto Silva in 2007.

Paraphrasing here but his simple formula to defend the edge of the 18 yard box, invite Arsenal forward and counter has worked far too well.

So what happened today?

Wenger played a defensive team, Utd went to hand them the possession in the first half and Arsenal did very little with it and didn't take any risks.

So Utd actually played in the second half rather than waiting for us to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Could have been an amazing smash and grab but they scored first. Huge pity.

I don't think we're hugely reliant on Caz or Bellerin but I think Coq, Rambo and Elneny in one team = handbrake firmly engaged.
    Nothing wrong in what you said at all BUT it doesn't explain the poor passing, lack of tackling or tracking, timidness and sheer lack of guts of some of our team. The way you suggested Wenger set us up would demand all of the above.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Do you really think I meant that?? That was easily the most sarcastic set of comments I've ever made here!!!

No I was just giving my own 2c on him. Ox's mother would be hard pressed to be positive about him at the moment

Serious run of fixtures from now till Feb.

1 team in the top six out of next 11 games.

Really need to put all the teams like WHam, Watford, Palace etc away if we want to stay close to the title race.

Bmouth (H)
    WHam (A)
    Stoke (H)
    Everton (A)
    CITY (A)
    WBrom (H)
    Palace (H)
    Bmouth (A)
    Swan (A)
    Burn (H)
    Watford (H)

I've got a bad feeling we're going to pick up too many draws in this run of fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Really need to put all the teams like WHam, Watford, Palace etc away if we want to stay close to the title race.

Bmouth (H)
    WHam (A)
    Stoke (H)
    Everton (A)
    CITY (A)
    WBrom (H)
    Palace (H)
    Bmouth (A)
    Swan (A)
    Burn (H)
    Watford (H)

I've got a bad feeling we're going to pick up too many draws in this run of fixtures.

West Ham away is a tough one as well as Everton, you never know what you get with those sides. On their day they can beat anyone. City game Away depends on if we turn up or not, if we play like we did agaisn't Spurs and Utd we be in trouble. I could see us dropping points at those games.

The rest if we want to be competing we have to win them no excuses, even West Ham and Everton games we have to be taking 3 points. But knowing us we will slip up in one or two of those fixtures.

The way Chelsea are playing right now, I can't see them dropping too many points this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Bmouth (H)
    WHam (A)
    Stoke (H)
    Everton (A)
    CITY (A)
    WBrom (H)
    Palace (H)
    Bmouth (A)
    Swan (A)
    Burn (H)
    Watford (H)

We should be winning the majority of them games and I think we will, although around Christmas time there is bound to be an upset, but that will be true of most teams. West Ham, Everton and Man City away are the tough games IMO. Although going to the London Stadium should be easier than Upton Park.

Everyone of them home games are winnable, it's time to go back on a run. I think by the end of them games we should be near enough the top, so long as the team applies themselves correctly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'd just be happy to win the next game!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Delighted with the point. We lack confidence against certain teams. Some players go missing under pressure and IMO we still are missing a ruthlessness when we need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Bellerin confirms he has signed a new contract. Good start to the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Am I the only one that thinks contracts in football these days are a waste of time? Players sign them, but get sold if the right offer comes in/force a move if they arent happy. Call me cynical but I dont think contracts are worth the paper they're written on any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

keano_afc wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks contracts in football these days are a waste of time? Players sign them, but get sold if the right offer comes in/force a move if they arent happy. Call me cynical but I dont think contracts are worth the paper they're written on any more.

Yeah that's true, but it's much better to have the players tied up on long term contracts as it strengthens the clubs position if another club comes in for the player. Just imagine what Bellerin is worth if John Stones cost £50m. Just need Ozil and Alexis to pen new deals now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's stops a Van Persie situation where a player has to be sold to avoid him leaving for nothing a year later.

There's no guarantee that Bellerin will be still with us in 6 years time but at least if he does leave the buying club will have had to pay a proper fee to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

It's stops a Van Persie situation where a player has to be sold to avoid him leaving for nothing a year later.

There's no guarantee that Bellerin will be still with us in 6 years time but at least if he does leave the buying club will have had to pay a proper fee to get him.

Let's be real, what UTD paid for Van Persie was not a "proper fee" they essentially bought a Ferrari for the price of Fiat Punto

Let's be real, what UTD paid for Van Persie was not a "proper fee" they essentially bought a Ferrari for the price of Fiat Punto

Exactly my point! Tying Bellerin down avoids that situation

Exactly my point! Tying Bellerin down avoids that situation

Read that wrong, my bad :pac:

But this is my point, contracts these days are essentially a safety blanket. They dont tie a player to a club for X amount of years, they simply guarantee a fee for the length of time they are valid should that player decide to piss off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Doesn't that mean he'll turn sh1t now though lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Poor Calum Chambers has lost the support of the Gooners fans, apparently he asked Costa to swap shirts after the game V Chelsea on Sunday. Silly man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Contracts are only there to protect the club negotiate a better selling price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Poor Calum Chambers has lost the support of the Gooners fans, apparently he asked Costa to swap shirts after the game V Chelsea on Sunday. Silly man.

As much as I dislike Costa, both as a player and a person, I have zero problem with players swapping shirts at anytime. It's one of those things that seem to get on some people's nerves, but it just doesn't affect me at all.

Still think Chambers will come good if he puts his head down and works hard, be a shame if this puts him off Arsenal.

CatInABox wrote: »
    As much as I dislike Costa, both as a player and a person, I have zero problem with players swapping shirts at anytime. It's one of those things that seem to get on some people's nerves, but it just doesn't affect me at all.

Still think Chambers will come good if he puts his head down and works hard, be a shame if this puts him off Arsenal.

did anyone see how he got on against Chelsea ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

did anyone see how he got on against Chelsea ?

He played very well I thought, and had been doing well whenever I've seen him

Exactly. So when there's a big announcement about Bellerin signing a new contract, I am completely ambivalent. It doesnt make the slightest bit of difference.

I really couldn't give a rats a*** either, just the world renowned Arsenal social media brigade slated him.

I think it was silly as he would have known how most Gooners feel about Costa!

I have watched Chambers a few times since the loan move, and I think he has been very good. This is one of those loan moves that really could be huge for the player and for us.

Not all the time. Especially at Arsenal, where Wenger (love him or hate him) develops a loyalty and family feeling within the team...

But I see where you're coming from!

Not all the time. Especially at Arsenal, where Wenger (love him or hate him) develops a loyalty and family feeling within the team...

Some of his children need a slap on the arse at times to keep them in check and wake them up. :D

Fabregas and RvP were sold while still under contract. Neither needed to be sold, but made their positions untenable. All the contract did was guarantee we got a price for them. So I think loyalty is a moot point to be honest.

Fabregas and RvP were sold while still under contract. Neither needed to be sold, but made their positions untenable. All the contract did was guarantee we got a price for them. So I think loyalty is a moot point to be honest.
    They were rare cases in fairness, along with Nasri and Clichy and Cole... That's why I qualified what I said at the start with 'not all the time'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Aurier denied entry to UK so out of tomorrow nights game.

I fancy us to get the win and top the group. Then draw Real or Bayern in next round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Aurier denied entry to UK so out of tomorrow nights game.

Why?

salmocab wrote: »
    Why?

Criminal conviction for assaulting a police officer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Why?

He was charged with assaulting a policeman a few weeks back, UK revoked his visa, according to the BBC it cant be overturned either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

So who's heading over tomorrow? After match Arsenal thread meet up???

wonga77 wrote: »
    He was charged with assaulting a policeman a few weeks back, UK revoked his visa, according to the BBC it cant be overturned either

Actually just saw it online a few minutes ago, weren't we interested in him a few years back?

wonga77 wrote: »

Actually just saw it online a few minutes ago, weren't we interested in him a few years back?
    As I remember he was interested in us! Didn't he keep posting pictures of himself in an Arsenal top?

As I remember he was interested in us! Didn't he keep posting pictures of himself in an Arsenal top?

It was more the name I remembered from one of our twice a year linked to everyone French or playing in franceathon.

Monaco have been mauling Spurs tonight and have just scored. They have been absolutely shocking. Lloris has been keeping them in the game. How did we only draw with these chumps in the NLD? Shows how bad our recent form has been.

Hah, as I type, Delle Ali wins a peno! Kane up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Come on Monaco

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well, that's Spurs journey in the Champions League over. Best thing that can happen now is for them to get into the Europa League, one more distraction for them, they really can't seem to handle two competitions at once.

Went looking for the Spurs thread to see what they were saying. I've just copped that they have their own forum. What's that all about?

PS, they're still not as melodramatic as us in here! :-)

• Advertisement

Well, that's Spurs journey in the Champions League over. Best thing that can happen now is for them to get into the Europa League, one more distraction for them, they really can't seem to handle two competitions at once.

Would be great craic if Dundalk got through their group and came up against Spurs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement