Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Jazz Legend Dies At 72

Options
  • 20-08-2016 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Renowned Irish jazz musician Louis Stewart has passed away at the age of 72.

Attended a few master classes with him some years back, a Waterford legend and a gentleman.

RIP

Sorry I cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because I am a new user.

Born in Waterford, Stewart began his international career in 1968 when he was awarded the special jury prize at The Montreaux International Jazz Festival and went on to perform all over the world.

He was a member of the Aosdana and the recipient of an honorary doctorate degree in music from Trinity College Dublin in 1998.

Through the course of his career, Stewart worked alongside Benny Goodman, George Shearing and Tubby Hayes, and performed as part of Ronnie Scott's quartet and quintet for many years.

In the 1970s Stewart began working with Canadian orchestrator Robert Farnon. They went on to record at least 10 albums together.

Most recently in 2013, Stewart recorded an album of duets, Tunes, with life-long friend Jim Doherty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Very sad to hear this news - Louis was probably the finest guitarist Ireland ever produced - RIP.

Limavady Jazz and Blues Festival, 8th June 2013 - Billie's Bounce by Charlie Parker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah sad, was a fixture on RTE in the late 70s 80s

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As a poor student in the 90s, I used to go in to the Conrad on Friday nights, where Louis and his trio were the house band in the lounge. I couldn't believe what I was gearing for the price of a pint. Posh hotel, so the peanuts were free!

In later years those JJs gigs were always amazing. Sunday afternoons in the presence of a modest and self-effacing legend.

I'll miss him and his music. Thanks Louis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭dasdog

The only record I found interesting in my da's record collection was a best of collection. The only reason it was there was because he was a professional Irish musician recognised. Charlie Parker rendition.

Advertisement