Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help installing new Graphics Card (Zotac 1070 Amp Extreme Edition) - EDIT: DONE!

Options
  • 20-08-2016 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi there

Pulled the plug on a new graphics card, but running into a few problems.

First, this thing is MASSIVE!
    It fits on my Fractal R4 box but had to remove one of the HDD cases.

My motherboard is a MSI 970A-G43 and the Sata connectors stick out of it upright, making so that the card can't connect to the slot.

Went to Maplins where I was recommended two solutions, either a super slim sata cable and a sata cable extension or a sata cable with a right /left angle.

The one with the angle was still too big , the super slim one works BUT the extension cable feels flimsy and it feels like it could come apart by itself.

Screw it, it's in now and we're sorted, yeah?

Shows how much of a noob I am.
    The card came with two 8 to 6 pins PCI adapter for the power unit but they aren't long enough to reach the psu.
    Is this a normal thing or am I doing something wrong?
    Do I just need to go and buy longer cables?

And is there anywhere in Dublin City centre that would be better than Maplins for this?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Whats the PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Whats the PSU?

A Seasonic G series 550w '80 Plus Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The PSU usually has PCIe connections for GPU's. I don't know if yours does as I do not know what every PSU come with.

A Seasonic G series 550w '80 Plus Gold.

Comes with two 8 pin PCI express cables to connect between the PSU and graphics card.

Also your motherboard has 6 Sata headers, 4 of which face away from the card. Are you using all 6?

Comes with two 8 pin PCI express cables to connect between the PSU and graphics card.

Also your motherboard has 6 Sata headers, 4 of which face away from the card. Are you using all 6?

DOH!

Mate of mine put the computer together for me so it didn't even occur to me to look for an alternative to plug in the Sata cables, just assumed that where they were was where they HAD to be!
    Yeah, see them now, that should sort one problem, thanks!

As for the PCI express cables, please see attached picture:
    2016-08-20%2019.40.53.jpg

The cables don't seem to be long enough to extend to the PSU, but I might be missing something really obvious here!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The PSU has it's own PCI-E power cables. What you have pluged in are adaptors to convert 6 pin to 8 pin for supplies that don't have the necessary cables. Even in your picture I can see an 8-pin pci-e cable hanging to the left which has loads of length to reach the card without those adaptors. Your PSU should have two of those so there should be no need for those adaptors at all.

The PSU has it's own PCI-E power cables. What you have pluged in are adaptors to convert 6 pin to 8 pin for supplies that don't have the necessary cables. Even in your picture I can see an 8-pin pci-e cable hanging to the left which has loads of length to reach the card without those adaptors. Your PSU should have two of those so there should be no need for those adaptors at all.

Yeah, that was the one that was powering the old graphics card. I only have the one attached but maybe I'll have another one in my box of unused cables..

Yup, you should. Those adaptors aren't applicable in your case. They're designed for older PSU's that might have the six pin but not eight pin. What you want is two of those eight pins, as shown in the left side of that picture, just plugged into the card.

If you cannot find the second cable, there are also dual molex to 8 pin adaptors that you could use, they look like this.

75e2c0ab_k-pcie-molex_main.jpeg

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

All done, and I have the 1070 installed!
    I'm a dumbass but you guys saved me!

Now to find things to test this properly, haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

All done, and I have the 1070 installed!
    I'm a dumbass but you guys saved me!

Now to find things to test this properly, haha!

Crysis ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

witcher 2 with super sampling turned on :D

Half life. Cause its a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Half life. Cause its a great game.

Deus Ex >>>>> Half-Life

Games with resolution scale options are good choices for benches too, if you don't have a 1440p or 4k monitor. BF4 at 1080p, ultra settings at 200% resolution is quite a workout.

Advertisement