Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your 'top ten' enduring memories of Rio 2016.

Options

Comments

Im not going to focus on the negative but the positive of this olympics. So in no specific order

1. the determination of kieran behan in finishing his performance despite being seriously injured. Given all the adversity he has faced in his life
    2. the determination of the french man in finishing the walking race yesterday despite his collapse
    3. Yusra Mardini, who crossed the Aegean on a boat which was sinking. Herself and her sister swam and pushed the boat for three hours to get to Europe from war torn Syria. One of a team of 10 refugees
    4. The brilliant o'donovans and their success and their interviews
    5. Katinka Hosszu who done nothing at three olympics and then set a world record in Rio. Won 3 golds and a silver overall in Swimming at these games
    6. The all conquering Brownlee brothers
    7 Zahra Nemati who was an accomplished taekwondo player was left paralysed from a car accident but carried the Iranian flag after qualifying for both olympics and paralympics in Rio. she also won a paralympic gold medal in london four year ago for archery.
    8. Bolt, bolt and bolt
    9. Team Ireland and the huge strides we've made these olympics. 14 top 10 finishes overall. Our hockey team lost 3-2 to the eventual gold medallists
    10. Oksana Chusovitina. 41 years old... 7th olympic games for her personally. her first was barcelona in 1992.

There is loads and loads more incredible stories of dedication and adversity. For me this is what the real olympics are about. Not willy-waving superpowers bragging of their medal tally, or morally and ethically bankrupt human beings like Hickey and Vladimir Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Great question and no order in my top 10

1. Laura trott winning the omnium
    2. Laura trot cooling off after winning the omnium :-) Hubba hubba lol
    3.usain bolt. A legend of our time.
    4. Jason Kenny winning another 3 gold medals the cad.
    5. That Dutch cyclist who I thought was dead after her fall against the high concrete kerb in the road race.
    6. The British swimmer Peaty who can breast stroke quicker than any other man ever.... And my girl loves his chest apparently...,.
    7. Ryan lockte and the absolute bull crappery he and his fellow yanks came out with.
    8. Jade jones.
    9. The British Olympic athletes in general who really were brilliant and outperformed any possible expectations.
    10. That iold Irish guy arrested in his dressing gown. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The Irish silver medals.
    In swimming: Phelps, Ledecky and Hosszu.
    Bolt, Van Niekerk, Farah.
    The men's pole vault final was so good.
    Dingley in the diving.
    Thomas Barr.
    Diniz in the 50km walk
    The men's 4x100m final
    The poor attendance
    Pat Hickey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Tennis is my #1 sport so obviously I'm gonna go for that. Best moment was seeing Del Potro taking out Djokovic and Nadal to take silver medal. Also incredible seeing Monica Puig take the gold from nowhere, as well as Murray defending his title. Wonderful seeing Venus going strong at 36 to take Olympic medal #5, as well as the lovely Lucie Šafářová getting a podium finish as well. So that's not ten.. but it's the best I can do :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

learn_more wrote: »
    3. How boring woman's hockey is.
    4. How many unnecessary sports there are in the Olympics
    5. How most people really don't care about sport in reality
    6. How professional all these armature athletes have become

7. How much I laughed when I heard Tom Daly came last
    8. How dull the opening ceremonies were
    9. What a show off Hussain Bolt is
    10. How being tall is very advantageous to being a winning swimmer

Womens hockey boring?
    Au contraire, I found it very easy on the eye ;)

...and as for Tom Daly, well that'ill teach him to wear 'micro speedos' :)

PS; Forgot to mention how great Andy Murray was at the tennis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

5. Katinka Hosszu who done nothing at three olympics and then set a world record in Rio. Won 3 golds and a silver overall in Swimming at these games

There is major suspicion over her sudden domination.

1. Bolt…all the way. The joy, the entertainment, the speed. Poetry in motion! He will be sorely missed.
    2. The O'Donovan brothers. Like Bolt, proof that you can make all the sacrifices, work yourself to exhaustion yet still have fun.
    3. Simone Biles. Again, poetry in motion. So unbelievably impressive.
    5. Murray versus del Potro and Murray taking the gold once more. I just loved their commitment, emotion, and how much it meant to both of them.
    4. Annalise Murphy. What a hard-won achievement. I know next to nothing about her sport but it was great to see the camaraderie between herself and the Dane at the end.
    5. De Grasse. He could go some way to filling the gap left by Bolt if he keeps going the way he is….great athlete.
    6. Opening Ceremony. I actually thought it was refreshing to have it taken down a notch, derailing that expectation that each one has to be better than the last. It gave me high hopes for an energy filled games…alas not!
    7. Empty seats….everywhere empty seats. So many finals on the track lacked atmosphere, and early stages of smaller events such as hockey were a complete joke. Note to future organisers…paint seats in random colours so empty ones don't leap out as much on camera.
    8. Pat Hickey…what a muppet. The same sort of people always seem to get to the top!
    9. Women's 10,000m. She knew she had done it too fast herself, you could see the realisation as she crossed the line.
    10. The potential we have for 4 years time. So many nearly there! Such positivity in post-competition interviews. All determined to keep going and improve. Heroic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

FTR: Tom Daly DIDN'T come last, he topped the prelims and then finished bottom in the semis

The boxing judges, the bizarre disqualifications and reinstatements in track and field, the half empty stadiums, the women's 10,000m, booing of certain athletes, Gatlin, Lochte, the golfers staying away, Hickey v Ross, Hickey v Brazilian police etc. etc.

It just reminded me of how good London 2012 really was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

1. Paddy Hickey being caught-finally
    2. Paddy Hickey's wife telling police he'd already left for Ireland (is she in custody?)
    3. Van Niekerk!
    4. Ashton Eaton-superman
    5. Thomas Barr - I came close to a heart attack in the last few seconds of his race
    6. The O'Donovan bros!
    7. Annalise Murphy
    8. Bolt! In another FIVE Olympics he can match Michael Phelps (well nearly)
    9. Matt Centrowicz winning the 1500m in the slowest time since 1932
    10. RTE's coverage (especially of Athletics) - in a bad way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

11/ Mo doing the 'double double'

Wow!

... and on a a negative note, we might get to see see John Delaney being arrested ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

LordSutch wrote: »
    ... and on a a negative note, we might get to see see John Delaney being arrested ?

And why would that be a negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

- Simone Biles winning everything she looked at except the beam
    - Phelps, little Boomer and still being awesome at 31
    - "shteak, shpuds and pull like a dog"
    - Van Niekerk 400m WR
    - Dodgiest boxing tournament ever
    - Conlan's post fight interview
    - Renaud Lavillenie practically being booed out of the stadium for the mortal sin of facing off against a Brazilian for gold
    - GB medal machine striking hard in track cycling
    - Lutalo Muhammad losing a TKD gold after getting a last second boot to the head
    - My husband, boardsie Chivito550 and a couple of others sneaking down to the track last night after the athletics and doing Bolt poses at the relay entrance

The 2 Cork lads
    Pat Hickey
    Spuds and Shtake
    Pat Hickey
    Pulling like a dog
    Pat Hickey
    Bate the Brits
    Pat Hickey
    Toicfaidh ar La
    Pat Hickey

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭LincolnsBeard

McGregor beating Diaz in the MMA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Women's beach volleyball Women's and Men's Swimming Women's gymnastics (watched only above)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Mastercolm

Olympics, boxing wize, was a disgrace IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

- My husband, boardsie Chivito550 and a couple of others sneaking down to the track last night after the athletics and doing Bolt poses at the relay entrance

In Rio? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Elliott S wrote: »
    In Rio? :D

Yep! He went to 5 nights and 2 morning sessions of athletics and to what would have been Katie Taylor's semi. I didn't go because I didn't fancy hauling our 4.5 month old to Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Yep! He went to 5 nights and 2 morning sessions of athletics and to what would have been Katie Taylor's semi. I didn't go because I didn't fancy hauling our 4.5 month old to Brazil.

That's brilliant. What a memory. I can't believe security was so lax that they could get into the stadium after hours though! Someone could have snuck in and planted a device. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

1. Usain Bolt smiling at the camera while winning the 100m. Too many people in sport are far too serious. The guy is at the absolute pinnacle of sport, would be great if more people had some fun while winning.

2. Thomas Barr's races and his interviews after. The guy seemed genuinely surprised/delighted with his results. Really easy guy to warm to and root for.

3. The diving is addictive to watch as you slowly start to criticise people for not being level on their entry.

4. Mo Farrah, falling and getting up to win. The drugs rumours raise slight concern but he gets the benefit of the doubt.

5. The Canadian sprinter who seemed to finish 2nd to Bolt everytime, Andre De Grasse. He is only 21 and looks to have a bit of Bolt about him. The future.

6. Simone Biles and the gymnastics in general.

What I didn't like

1. The bogger sthick from the O'Dononvan brothers, vomit enducing stuff.

2. The whinging when the boxers didn't win. Conlan obviously robbed, the rest were just poor and bad losers.

3. Not getting to see more weightlifting. Honestly if I want to watch tennis, soccer, basketball, golf or rugby I can at any time. These sports that get their spotlight once every 4 years should be the highlight, not the pampered multi-millionaires from the pro games. (7's rugby gets a slight pass for pamperedness)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Couldnt disagree more about the o donovans they act totally natural no bull or posh accents!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Being exiled in the UK a lot of their success has had it's shine taken off by the sickening cheerleading of the BBC (I know that's their job) and their "elite" athletes on these specific medal targeted sports who live in a bubble for 4 years. Not to mention the hypocritical nature of the likes of Cavendish and their offense to legitimate clean questions.
    That's what made the O'Donovan brothers all the more brilliant, the fact they knew they were good but so down to earth at the same time. There was such a swell of pride after their first interview and the "we're a bit disappointed we didn't go yesterday, it would have been a bit of craic".

I'd struggle to pick 10 so here's my top 5:

1. Steak, spuds and pull like a dog. The lads themselves.
    2. Annelise Murphy, you keep reading about her disappointment in London and all the hard, great to see it pay off.
    3. Jason Kenny having his podium pants in a plastic shopping bag after he won his last gold.
    4. The US and Kiwi 5000m ladies who tripped and fell but picked each other up (at various stages of the race) and finished it
    5. Conlon's finger saluted. I know he dropped the F bomb a few times, but I found his RTE interview immediately afterward quite articulate, given the hurt, disbelief and anger he would have been experiencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

HigginsJ wrote: »
    2. The whinging when the boxers didn't win. Conlan obviously robbed, the rest were just poor and bad losers.

I'm not a boxing fan but I don't think anyone else was really complaining. Paddy Barnes certainly wasn't, Katie Taylor's was a traditional coin flip for a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It just reminded me of how good London 2012 really was.

yeah after watching the opening ceremony in Rio I kinda knew it wasnt going to reach the heights of London. Even the Olympic flame was a bit of a joke. They tried to label it the sustainable games but to me it just looked cheap.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    1. Usain Bolt smiling at the camera while winning the 100m. Too many people in sport are far too serious. The guy is at the absolute pinnacle of sport, would be great if more people had some fun while winning.

2. Thomas Barr's races and his interviews after. The guy seemed genuinely surprised/delighted with his results. Really easy guy to warm to and root for.

3. The diving is addictive to watch as you slowly start to criticise people for not being level on their entry.

4. Mo Farrah, falling and getting up to win. The drugs rumours raise slight concern but he gets the benefit of the doubt.

5. The Canadian sprinter who seemed to finish 2nd to Bolt everytime, Andre De Grasse. He is only 21 and looks to have a bit of Bolt about him. The future.

6. Simone Biles and the gymnastics in general.

What I didn't like

1. The bogger sthick from the O'Dononvan brothers, vomit enducing stuff.

3. Not getting to see more weightlifting. Honestly if I want to watch tennis, soccer, basketball, golf or rugby I can at any time. These sports that get their spotlight once every 4 years should be the highlight, not the pampered multi-millionaires from the pro games. (7's rugby gets a slight pass for pamperedness)

1; its called their accent. Your in a small minority who didnt like them. You mention Bolt enjoying winning. These lads enjoyed their racing as much as Bolt and we havent seen the last of them. They've set cornerstones and will go far. Very ambitious lads who are to be treasured.

2; katie aside i dont think any of our boxers complained or had reason to complain when they lost. to be fair to Katie also she didnt complain about losing. Zaur complained but it may be in defence and loyalty of Katie as opposed to what he actually felt. Mick as you quiet rightly pointed out had reason to be unhappy

3: I agree with 3. Enjoy the weightlifting myself even if i am a little queasy watching it sometimes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Just focusing on the positives
    1 Anthony Ervin at 35 winning the gold medal in the 50m freestyle 16 years after he won it first, read his life story it's movie material, moment of the games for me.
    2 Irish Silver in the rowing plus the interviews
    3 Van Nikker WR
    4 Simone Biles superhuman to watch
    5 Thomas Barr performance, a fellow Waterford man making it extra special
    6 Ledekey destroying everyone in the 800m literally won by half the pool
    7 Fiji's first medal beating GB in the Rugby 7s
    8 Neymar's winning penalty in the football
    9 GB winning diving gold ahead of China
    10 Kazakh Weightlifter lifting 7kg above his PB to break the WR and win gold right after a Chinese athlete had just broken the WR.

Negatives
    1 O'Riley doping test and the general massive disappointment of the irish boxing team
    2 Corrupt boxing judging
    3 Mark Cavendish not getting DQ'd despite appearing to purposly crash into someone
    4 Green pool fiasco
    5 Ethiopian runner breaking the 10000m world record and everyone thinking it's dodgy, sums up the feeling i had watching a lot of the games
    5 Half Empty stadiums and general bad atmosphere
    6 Brazil fans booing French pole vaulter, really bad sportsmanship
    7 Golf pointless having it in the games when half the worlds top players weren't bothered
    8 Russia being allowed compete despite state sponsored doping
    9 Murray winning in Tennis, not that i hate Murray but really wanted Del Potro to win
    10 British Takwando fighter being beaten in the last second, just heartbreaking for the poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

I only caught one, partial, event. Boxing. (Bantam Weight?) Some Irish lad skinned a Russian. Then the 'judges' gave the fight away. That, to me, encapsulated the much mentioned bentness of the whole spectacle.

Much more sadly though; The Landlord of my local having passed, there was no full time coverage on the TV. Thus I saw no female pole vaulting (Insert me gusta)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

not one cent should those Irish boxers get again in funding, not one cent, a complete waste of money

• Advertisement

ISOP wrote: »
    not one cent should those Irish boxers get again in funding, not one cent, a complete waste of money

???? What an uninformed knee jerk reaction that is. Boxers brought home the bacon in many games. One bad games and funding should be stopped? Behave

Advertisement