Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundcloud Groups what next...

Options
  • 20-08-2016 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭

Soundcloud groups being shut down this coming Monday. Its my understanding that shares will rely on reposts from followers reposting. This is a shame because there is going to be a wall of songs on everybody's page. You are not going to be able to listen to the songs made by the person on the page because of the wall of sounds from everybody else.

So with groups being shut down people who want to start making music and getting others to hear it, it is more difficult for them to be heard. I want to start a discussion here to see if there is a way to filter out the noise and wall of sound on peoples pages and possibly come to understand how reposts will work for people of all skill levels.

I also want to open a discussion on creating a new user which will be for boards.ie users this user will only follow members of boards.ie and be much the same as the way the groups currently work. So instead of trying to find any users of the current boards.ie group on SC you can follow the Boards user and still get tracks posted on boards. A boards user would be good because its a collection of artist posting songs to the one account and if one person follows the user on SC he/she is potentially following and listening to the sounds on this forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I'm not familiar with groups on SC but I like your proposal on the boards.ie user.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

The way groups did work was you join a group on SC and post tracks to the group whoever is following the group hears the tracks posted to the group only and if you want to hear songs from the group members you go to the group. You could join multiple groups and share your music to a wider audience. If someone hears a song from a group they might just visit your SC page and potentially follow you as they randomly heard your music in a group. Getting rid of groups pushes the emphasis on follows more towards popularity of a producer/musician. The groups were set up to categorise by genre more so than anything. So for example if spoken word and poetry is your sole use of SC it will be harder to find because of the mass of songs you do not want to hear on the artists page.

I suppose a way around the wall of sounds as a artist or musician could be to just have one follower yourself as a separate account. The stuff you find inspirational and the stuff you would like others to hear could be reposts on your page. They should really update the way pages work for musicians though and give them that separation. Stuff you upload at the top of the page in a playlist and the spam from other people below. Currently there should be a way to remove reposts from your page though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 daveeol

ya its a bit of a disaster really. I only ever interacted with others within groups and the new way of posting a track is brutal.

Advertisement