Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serie A Superthread 16/17

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

The foul on Lukaku around the 1.16 mark and then the dive by Strootman on 1.56

Il Grande Torino, perished today in 1949.

“The Torino team is no more… it has disappeared…it is burnt…it has exploded”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

not quite what happened.

The ref booked him for dissent when he continuously approached him, in a very confrontational and quite intimidating manner, both verbally and physically intimidating ,shouting at him to stop the game and knocking his whistle out of his hand BEFORE Muntari then walked off.

The ref also did not hear the chants (apparently anyway)

I get he was angry and rightfully so but he can't take matters into his own hands.

They were a goal down with a few minutes to go. The referee, who had not heard the chants, would have had to make a big decision to stop the game.

that's a bit of an exaggeration of what happened.

Anyway, it looks like Italy is still refusing to tackle the racists

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39786264

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Il Grande Torino, perished today in 1949.

“The Torino team is no more… it has disappeared…it is burnt…it has exploded”

Imagine the team they probably would of went on to be today had that accident not happened. Before that incident, Torino (along with Juve) were easily the biggest and most successful team in Italy, eclipsing Milan, Inter, Roma and Lazio. Hard to say if they would have stayed the second biggest club, as opposed to becoming the mid-table club they are now

Similar to Englands continued failure to tackle the fascists I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39786264

It is exactly what happened. The video doesn't lie!

Muntari gets his ban overturned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Similar to Englands continued failure to tackle the fascists I suppose

That pathetic, really really pathetic.

0-1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Incredible free from Ljajic. Torino down to ten now.

• Advertisement

Aaah, thiefs :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Aaah, thiefs :mad:

lol, double standard as usual.
    When Alex Sandro did the same to Acquah in the past, penalty was given. I guess it was all good then?

https://media.giphy.com/media/qx7mQ73ZUXUsg/giphy.gif

Crying babies everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Must have been a minute between Torino scoring and the referee deciding something had to be done about that. Disgraceful red card. Belotti was in on goal only to be hauled down and not even a free kick.

Corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Must have been a minute between Torino scoring and the referee deciding something had to be done about that. Disgraceful red card. Belotti was in on goal only to be hauled down and not even a free kick.

Corruption.

Plenty of episodes against Juve throughout the year (dont need to go for back, last time happened at Atalanta last week when a clear penalty was not given), the key difference is that they have the balls to come out on top regardless instead of feeling pity for themselves and make up excuses.

Winners find the way, losers find the excuse. And teams like Inter or Napoli are the masters of self-pity, pathetic, crying losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Trying to decide what is sadder.
    Seeing Palleta & Zapata as a centre back pairing or that De Sciglio who doesn't even want to be at the club is captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Some scoring in the Lazio/Sampdoria game earlier!

• Advertisement

Some scoring in the Lazio/Sampdoria game earlier!

Quite a way to secure European football.

Really nice to see the prices too, stadium was packed due to cheap tickets. 10-15 euro for large areas of the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

TripleAce wrote: »

Corruption.

Plenty of episodes against Juve throughout the year (dont need to go for back, last time happened at Atalanta last week when a clear penalty was not given), the key difference is that they have the balls to come out on top regardless instead of feeling pity for themselves and make up excuses.

Winners find the way, losers find the excuse. And teams like Inter or Napoli are the masters of self-pity, pathetic, crying losers.

I didn't see Inter or Napoli crying about anything?

Maybe they complain about certain decisions in their games as every team does.

Inter are nowhere near good enough. What would they be crying about?

Juventus are undoubtedly the best team at this moment but it's so obvious the big decisions in the big moments go their way that it's not even up for debate.

Felt really sorry for Donnaruma last night. He played well enough but was beaten by some well taken goals. Very nearly saved the pen and looked like he wanted the world to eat him up after he conceded it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Just noticed Inter were in town to play Lazio on my trip there this year :cool:
    Anyone have any history with the stadium just grabbed the cheapest tickets as I didnt want to miss out

I've been a few times, what do you want to know ?

Cheapest tickets are probably in the Curva Nord or Distinti (next to the CN) ?

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I've been a few times, what do you want to know ?

Cheapest tickets are probably in the Curva Nord or Distinti (next to the CN) ?

I bought tickets for the Distini for myself and my wife, but weve decided she wont go as the game will be late and doesnt want to walk with a one year old through rome at 12 at night. Is the stadium easy to get to from the Rome Termini

irishman86 wrote: »
    I bought tickets for the Distini for myself and my wife, but weve decided she wont go as the game will be late and doesnt want to walk with a one year old through rome at 12 at night. Is the stadium easy to get to from the Rome Termini

There's 3 Distinti actually :)

2 (Distinti Ospiti and Nord) are right next to the Curva Nord, Distinti Sud is right next to the Curva Sud and this is closer to the away end, which is situated at the other side of the Curva Sud.

settori_olimpico.jpg

Getting there is easy, there's several buses going from Termini to the ground (or the surrounding area). 910 is the bus that gets you right to the ground I believe, and is often filled with fans. There's also tram 2 which takes you to walking distance from the ground.

Or you can just get a taxi and enjoy the wild driving from Roman taxi drivers :pac:

I recommend getting there in time though, Lazio - Inter is a pretty big game and Lazio have been doing great lately so there might be a decent crowd. It can take a while to get into the ground if they check passports etc.

What you can do is go early, and then get to Ponte Milvio which is a square across the bridge from the ground. Ultras tend to meet there before the ground and then walk there together.

There's 3 Distinti actually :)

2 (Distinti Ospiti and Nord) are right next to the Curva Nord, Distinti Sud is right next to the Curva Sud and this is closer to the away end, which is situated at the other side of the Curva Sud.

settori_olimpico.jpg

Getting there is easy, there's several buses going from Termini to the ground (or the surrounding area). 910 is the bus that gets you right to the ground I believe, and is often filled with fans. There's also tram 2 which takes you to walking distance from the ground.

Or you can just get a taxi and enjoy the wild driving from Roman taxi drivers :pac:

I recommend getting there in time though, Lazio - Inter is a pretty big game and Lazio have been doing great lately so there might be a decent crowd. It can take a while to get into the ground if they check passports etc.

What you can do is go early, and then get to Ponte Milvio which is a square across the bridge from the ground. Ultras tend to meet there before the ground and then walk there together.

Booked the tickets on Viagago so it just said Distini :confused:
    Thats cool that its easy to get to, a big relief
    Thanks for the info buddy :D

Very likely it's gonna be either Distinti to the side of the Curva Nord, which is good as you have a good view on the ultras but you're not greeted with angry stares if you don't know the songs :D

Lazio - Inter is also a bit of a friendship so no doubt there'll be a big away following.

Cracking game between Roma and Juve. 1-1 after 24 minutes. Both sides just going for it hammer and tongs.

Roma look to be keeping Juve's poor record on the road going after defeats already in Genoa, Florence & 2 in Milan.
    And without Dzeko too.

Hellas Verona are back after a season in Serie B. 6000 fans followed them to Cesena to see them grab the point that gets them promoted.

cesena-verona.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Hellas Verona are back after a season in Serie B. 6000 fans followed them to Cesena to see them grab the point that gets them promoted.

cesena-verona.jpg

The draw traded ridiculously short before the start of this game. Classic Italian end of season shenanigans.

Don't know where else to put this but the European Football Show won't be returning next season. Probably cause it wasn't dry, self righteous crap like the rest of the punditry on Sky, BBC & BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

ERG89 wrote: »
    Don't know where else to put this but the European Football Show won't be returning next season. Probably cause it wasn't dry, self righteous crap like the rest of the punditry on Sky, BBC & BT.

Disgraceful decision.It's a brilliant show.All 4 on it are excellent and it's both entertaining and informative.

Their coverage in general has got worse as they have gone on though.They used to have a studio presentation of most of their continental European league games in the first couple of years but that has now been got rid of and you just get the match and commentary which is fine but it shows the real lack of effort they seem to be putting in and I always think that sort of approach gives off an air of not really caring and the match they are broadcasting not being important.

I have a bad feeling that maybe getting rid of EFS might mean they are going to scale back their coverage of the continental european leagues in general.I really really hope this isn't the case.

• Advertisement

Lazio game I went to was brilliant, the fans alone are worth the entrance. Always wanted to go to a Seria A game and I wasnt disappointed.
    Shoreline was against Lazio but not as much as the ref, he gave them a early penalty then after that every decision went against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Rekop dog wrote: »
    The draw traded ridiculously short before the start of this game. Classic Italian end of season shenanigans.

Saw that alright, the draw was odds on before kick off. :rolleyes:

The Legend That Is Francesco Totti will play his last ever Roma game today after 25 years.

An end of an era.

Not a typical testimonial style farewell, though, or anywhere close, as Roma still need to ensure automatic CL qualification.

So there is a chance, however tiny, that he may only get a little bit of game time.

Hopefully Roma will be comfortable though by 70 minutes or so and Genoa haven't even got a further place in the table to play for so should be nothing but a Roma win.

Palleta sent off. Feels like that's his 6th or 7th red in the league this season. Hopefully most of this team won't be seen again. Gustavo Gomez is a depressing sight to see out on a football pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Probably the biggest job in world football bring this Milan team back to the glory days.

It will take unreal amount of money

Headshot wrote: »
    Probably the biggest job in world football bring this Milan team back to the glory days.

It will take unreal amount of money

Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later, its sad not seeing them where they belong

Roma as always making it tough for themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Unbelievable scenes at the Olympico. There literally is not a dry in the house. EVERYBODY is crying as Totti does a lap of honour with his family

Unbelievable scenes at the Olympico. There literally is not a dry in the house. EVERYBODY is crying as Totti does a lap of honour with his family

I don't think BT even showed it bar highlights just now.
    The 4 Napoli goals today were as beautiful as the women the cameraman would pan to during the Roma match. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Roma Facebook page streamed the farewell live. Tried to watch but something got in my eye.

Crotone are staying up :eek:
    An absolutely incredible escape if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭looie

That's how you do a final round.

5jb74OO.jpg

Great to see Totti go out on a high and Roma get the win.

I think he was a completely under appreciated player in this part of the world and had he taken the easy option and signed for Real Madrid or Milan when he had the chance he'd probably be more widely appreciated.A complete joy to watch and such an intelligent player and it really is the end of an era I honestly can't see players sticking with a less successful team and turning down bigger teams anymore and you almost certainly won't have too many 1 club men in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Wow. What scenes at the Olimpico. I grew up watching Totti play since he was a teenager. He is roughly the same age as I was and I remember thinking it was insane that this 17 year old kid was playing in the toughest and best league in the world and even at that age had that touch of class.

Another legend has gone from the Serie A of my youth. Only Buffon left and he will retire after the 2018 World Cup. Time goes by way to quickly.

My favourite Totti moment of the many? This goal v Inter. Just pure genius.

Totti's farewell speech has been translated into English
    Thank you, Rome.

Thank you to my mother and father, my brother, my relatives and my friends.

Thank you to my wife and to my three children.

I wanted to start from the end ? from the goodbyes ? because I don?t know if I?ll be able to read these lines.

It is impossible to sum up 28 years in a few sentences.

I?d like to do so with a song or poem, but I can?t write any.

Over the years, I?ve tried to express myself through my feet, which have made everything simpler for me ever since I was a child.

Speaking of childhood, can you guess what my favourite toy was? A football, of course! And it still is today.

At some point in life, you grow up ? that?s what I?ve been told and that?s what time has decided.

Damned time.

Back on 17 June 2001, we all wanted time to pass a little more quickly.

We couldn?t wait to hear the referee blow the final whistle.

I still get goose bumps now when I think back to it.

Today, time has come to tap me on the shoulder and say:

?We have to grow up. As of tomorrow, you?ll be an adult. Take off those shorts and boots because starting today, you are a man. You can no longer enjoy the smell of the grass, the sun on your face as you bear down on the opposition?s goal, the adrenaline consuming you, the joy of celebrating.?

Over the past few months, I?ve asked myself why I?m being awoken from this dream.

Imagine you?re a child having a good dream? and your mother wakes you up to go to school.

You want to keep dreaming? you try to slip back into the dream but you never can.

This time, it?s not a dream, but reality.

And I can no longer slip back in.

I want to dedicate this letter to all of you ? to all the children that have supported me.

To the children of yesterday, who have grown up and become parents and to the children of today, who perhaps shout ?Tottigol?.

I?d like to think that for you, my career has become a fairytale for you to pass on.

It?s really over now.

I?m taking off that jersey for the final time.

I?ll fold it away, even though I?m not ready to say ?enough? and perhaps I never will be.

Forgive me for not giving interviews and clarifying my thoughts, but it?s not easy to turn out the light.

I?m afraid. It?s not the same fear you feel when you?re standing in front of the goal, about to take a penalty.

This time, I can?t see what the future looks like through the holes of the net.

Allow me to be afraid.

This time, it?s me who needs you and the love that you?ve always shown me.

With your support, I will succeed in turning the page and throwing myself into a new adventure.

Now, it?s time for me to thank all of the team-mates, coaches, directors, presidents and everyone who has worked alongside me during this time.

To the fans and the Curva Sud, a guiding light for all Romans and Romanisti.

Being born Roman and Romanisti is a privilege.

Being the captain of this team is an honour.

You are ? and will always be ? my life. I will no longer entertain you with my feet, but my heart will always be there with you.

Now, I will go down the stairs and enter the dressing room that welcomed me as a child and that I now leave as a man.

I?m proud and happy to have given you 28 years of love.

I love you.

• Advertisement

Beautiful speech. He posted a thank you picture on his facebook page. I couldn't read the comments for obvious reasons but it was full of hundreds of really long letters to him. Not since the sacking of Rome has there been such an outpouring.

The send off was done very well, really classy. Totti took about half an hour just doing his lap of honour, walking slowly throughout, knowing that when the lap ended that was it until the the speech. Then the passing of the captains armband to the next generation. The kid that got the armband was probably a highly thought of kid from the youth team. No pressure mate :pac:

There seems to be a bit confusion over the 10 jersey. The club (and presumably the fans) want to retire it but Totti wants it to remain. I honestly cannot see anybody taking the jersey for a long time if it is not retired. It may stay unofficially retired.

Spalletti makes a good argument in that if the shirt was removed, it deprives the next generation of children the dream of wearing the Roma No10.

Beautiful speech. He posted a thank you picture on his facebook page. I couldn't read the comments for obvious reasons but it was full of hundreds of really long letters to him. Not since the sacking of Rome has there been such an outpouring.

The send off was done very well, really classy. Totti took about half an hour just doing his lap of honour, walking slowly throughout, knowing that when the lap ended that was it until the the speech. Then the passing of the captains armband to the next generation. The kid that got the armband was probably a highly thought of kid from the youth team. No pressure mate :pac:

There seems to be a bit confusion over the 10 jersey. The club (and presumably the fans) want to retire it but Totti wants it to remain. I honestly cannot see anybody taking the jersey for a long time if it is not retired. It may stay unofficially retired.

Spalletti makes a good argument in that if the shirt was removed, it deprives the next generation of children the dream of wearing the Roma No10.

Wasnt De Rossi the heir to that jersey

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Was it not his son who got the armband?

Was it not his son who got the armband?

No his son was wearing a jersey with Cristian at the back. The kid that got the jersey was the captain of the U11 team. The youngest team at the club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement