Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabin Crew dream job!

• 20-08-2016 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hello ! I have just got my leaving cert results on wednsday and wud love to to cabin crew since I was a child. I'm 19 year old male!! Obviously I my dream company to do CC for is aer lingus in the long run but they don't recruit very often and I'm thinking bout goin for Ryanair ATM. my question is do u tink I should do a level 5 airline related course for this year and wait for a good company or do you think I should go straight into Ryanair and build experience?!! thankyou!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TheCockpitGuy

1. Read this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057631481

2. Go and get a bit of life experience and come back to this at 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Personally I don't know why anybody would like to do cabin crew. Dealing with drunk stag and hen parties and being stuck on a poxy plane selling food and drinks off a trolley most of your life. No thanks not for me. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure you have different views about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

OP if it's you're dream go for it. Whilst there's loads of RA horror stories still good experience of you want to progress to a major airline. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Personally I don't know why anybody would like to do cabin crew. Dealing with drunk stag and hen parties and being stuck on a poxy plane selling food and drinks off a trolley most of your life. No thanks not for me. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure you have different views about it

Ya because it's as simple as that..... Communicating the brand and promoting the values of the airline, assisting passengers, offering a service to a proportion of sometimes ungrateful and disgruntled patrons, catering for a wide array of passenger needs, and having almost sole responsibility for the safe and expedient evacuation of a large number of frightened and panicked people in a small space in a length of time which is significantly shorter than it takes most people to tie their shoelaces are all things that just happen magically....

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

.........:D

You're making reference to Ryanair, I was making reference to cabin crew in general. As big as Ryanair are, lots of other airlines exist also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Ya because it's as simple as that..... Communicating the brand and promoting the values of the airline, assisting passengers, offering a service to a proportion of sometimes ungrateful and disgruntled patrons, catering for a wide array of passenger needs, and having almost sole responsibility for the safe and expedient evacuation of a large number of frightened and panicked people in a small space in a length of time which is significantly shorter than it takes most people to tie their shoelaces are all things that just happen magically....

Exactly it sounds awful! I "personally" wouldn't be into it whatsoever. I'm sure others would though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Exactly it sounds awful! I "personally" wouldn't be into it whatsoever. I'm sure others would though

I agree. Can't understand a desire to be cabin crew at all. Surely if you want to work on a aircraft, flying the thing would be the most appealing position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I agree. Can't understand a desire to be cabin crew at all. Surely if you want to work on a aircraft, flying the thing would be the most appealing position?

Appealing, but for obvious reason cannot apply to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

kc330 wrote: »
    hello ! I have just got my leaving cert results on wednsday and wud love to to cabin crew since I was a child. I'm 19 year old male!! Obviously I my dream company to do CC for is aer lingus in the long run but they don't recruit very often and I'm thinking bout goin for Ryanair ATM. my question is do u tink I should do a level 5 airline related course for this year and wait for a good company or do you think I should go straight into Ryanair and build experience?!! thank you!
    Don't listen to the begrudgers. Follow your dream as the opportunities arise. CC in EI is not a bed of roses either but people still do it. Whilst experience is good to have you're young enough to do the course and still have your whole CC life ahead of you. The choice is yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

I don't have an answer for the OP but I don't get why people are knocking him! Got for it OP. See if you can get a role in the industry. Try it out, see how you like it and if it doesn't pan out, remember you're still young and have a lot of living to do and plenty of potential. Follow your dream and take your chance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd wait around until Ethihad or Emirates etc are recruiting here again, or CityJet etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

kc330 wrote: »
    hello ! I have just got my leaving cert results on wednsday and wud love to to cabin crew since I was a child. I'm 19 year old male!! Obviously I my dream company to do CC for is aer lingus in the long run but they don't recruit very often and I'm thinking bout goin for Ryanair ATM. my question is do u tink I should do a level 5 airline related course for this year and wait for a good company or do you think I should go straight into Ryanair and build experience?!! thankyou!

Keep an eye on their carreers website for openings for 2017, I guess it might advertise around Jan/Feb?
    http://careers.aerlingus.com/careers-in-the-air/

Having a read through of this thread might show you the background and experience of previous applicants, Keep in mind that some of it is quite old so maybe just look at the later pages:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057306527
    (The recent FR thread I dont think would be too helpful to the OP)

I dont think this course you are talking about is a requirement, if you have customer facing experience and present well at online aptitude test and in interview then there will be no need for a "Level 5 airline related course"
    (which sounds like a money racket to me personally)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

January wrote: »
    I'd wait around until Ethihad or Emirates etc are recruiting here again, or CityJet etc.

I know a young male similar to himself managed to win a place in Emirates, left after a few months. Hated the compound living in Dubai, something to consider (and especially if you happen to be of a non-hetero persuasion).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Why would you wanna be cc with a good enough leaving cert?

It's what people tend to do cos they haven't much else going for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

1123heavy wrote: »

I wouldn't generalise many of my colleagues in such a fashion....!

Agree re: airline "courses" - waste of time and money....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

why don't you try for a cadetship, OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

ED E wrote: »
    Hated the compound living in Dubai

Ah that old chestnut!

No cabin crew in EK live in a "compound".

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Might get penalized for this but I'm gonna stand up for myself here.

I'm a cabin crew member. I was also fortunate enough to achieve 480 points in my Leaving Cert. exams, and to go on and start a degree course in science, mainly mathematics and chemistry. By achieving, what I would assume, is considered a "good enough leaving cert" I was fortunate enough to have been able to pursue a lot of options, and yet I left university and chose to apply for a position as cabin crew.

Why would I do this, with "a good enough leaving cert"?
    Because I wanted to. I've had a passion for aviation since I was old enough to comprehend what an aircraft was. I've been fascinated with the entire industry my entire life, and while it isn't a particularly glamourous career, and yes it has it's difficult moments, I ask you, what job doesn't? Are jobs that are only attainable by high leaving cert. results a walk in the park? Does the junior doctor, having slaved away for years over books, and grinds notes, on their 10th 12 hour shift sound more appealing as a career choice simple based upon one's leaving cert. results? No, it doesn't.

We do things because we love them, we do things because they make us feel fulfilled, make us happy and give us a sense of reward. Not because it's higher up on this supposed hierarchy of lifestyles set up by a broken education system which panders to the few that can master the art of rote-learning.

How dare anyone look down on my profession in such a way. I take great offense to anyone who looks upon me or my colleagues as "glorified waiters and waitresses, stuck behind a trolley, selling drinks and food on a poxy plane". We are so much more than that. And shame on anyone who is so self-conscious that they feel the need to deprecate one's chosen career.

I am a cabin crew member, I love every single damn moment of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

River Song. On this occasion just hitting the "thanks" button is not sufficient for me. Congrats on a brilliant post which, I am sure, is very inspirational for the original poster kc330 and others of like mind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

River Song wrote: »

Might get penalized for this but I'm gonna stand up for myself here.

I'm a cabin crew member. I was also fortunate enough to achieve 480 points in my Leaving Cert. exams, and to go on and start a degree course in science, mainly mathematics and chemistry. By achieving, what I would assume, is considered a "good enough leaving cert" I was fortunate enough to have been able to pursue a lot of options, and yet I left university and chose to apply for a position as cabin crew.

Why would I do this, with "a good enough leaving cert"?
    Because I wanted to. I've had a passion for aviation since I was old enough to comprehend what an aircraft was. I've been fascinated with the entire industry my entire life, and while it isn't a particularly glamourous career, and yes it has it's difficult moments, I ask you, what job doesn't? Are jobs that are only attainable by high leaving cert. results a walk in the park? Does the junior doctor, having slaved away for years over books, and grinds notes, on their 10th 12 hour shift sound more appealing as a career choice simple based upon one's leaving cert. results? No, it doesn't.

We do things because we love them, we do things because they make us feel fulfilled, make us happy and give us a sense of reward. Not because it's higher up on this supposed hierarchy of lifestyles set up by a broken education system which panders to the few that can master the art of rote-learning.

How dare anyone look down on my profession in such a way. I take great offense to anyone who looks upon me or my colleagues as "glorified waiters and waitresses, stuck behind a trolley, selling drinks and food on a poxy plane". We are so much more than that. And shame on anyone who is so self-conscious that they feel the need to deprecate one's chosen career.

I am a cabin crew member, I love every single damn moment of it.
    Very well said!
    I feel I too should add that I am also crew, I too started flying after finishing up at UCD.
    I recall when I was in UCD seeing planes passing over on approach to the crosswind runway and longing to be flying !
    I now work in an industry I've always wanted to work in and one that I have been fascinated with since I was a child.
    I love the contract I'm on with my employer( I got lucky) and it allows me about 3 months PAID leave per year! While I work hard, particularly in summer, weekends, very late/very early etc. My friends can't get over how much time off I get.
    It's not all glamour but then I don't think such a job exists!
    I think the role of cabin crew is more comparable to nursing at times ( I had a sick child vomit in my hand two days ago) long hours looking after the public, so it can be tough, it can also be rewarding and enjoyable and there is an incredible camaraderie between crew.
    Its not always easy, and you live your life around a roster, but I still enjoy it and I still love flying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I wouldn't do it for diamonds but I have great respect for most of them. Good ones are great to have on the aircraft, not so good ones are a waste of space. It is darwinism in effect because the bad/indifferent/unwilling/precious ones are soon filtered out.

Looks like a bit of a stir was caused ... didn't intend for what I said to be taken how it has but sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

Looks like a bit of a stir was caused ... didn't intend for what I said to be taken how it has but sure

Here's your opportunity! A clarification would be appreciated as to how you intended it to be taken.

MoeJay wrote: »
    Here's your opportunity! A clarification would be appreciated as to how you intended it to be taken.

I intended it in the context of the op looking for career advice having just received his Leaving Cert. I view cc as something best done for a bit of fun for a few years, travel, experience etc, but making a career out of it would be beyond exhausting imo. Considering the op has a decent leaving from what I understand I just think he may be better off doing something else and that will at least pay off for the hard work he put into his leaving cert, considering you dont need one to be cc.

That was all, I didnt say cc do not have any qualifications nor was I looking down on any individual or career whatsoever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

MoeJay wrote: »

I intended it in the context of the op looking for career advice having just received his Leaving Cert. I view cc as something best done for a bit of fun for a few years, travel, experience etc, but making a career out of it would be beyond exhausting imo. Considering the op has a decent leaving from what I understand I just think he may be better off doing something else and that will at least pay off for the hard work he put into his leaving cert, considering you dont need one to be cc.

That was all, I didnt say cc do not have any qualifications nor was I looking down on any individual or career whatsoever.

Ehh you do need a leaving cert, at the minimum, to be CC some airlines require particular subjects and grades e.g. A grade C for maths and English. I think you'll also find most crew have a form of higher education too.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

That wasn't my issue with your post tbh. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I would think a bit of research would be good here.

I view cc as something best done for a bit of fun for a few years, travel, experience etc, but making a career out of it would be beyond exhausting imo.

While the experience gained is really all-encompassing, unless you decide to relocate yourself to the Middle East and work for Emirates or Etihad (which, from friends who have worked there, all say it's far from fun) you hardly get to travel. Airlines like Aer Lingus and Ryanair operate a near-full short haul network. No one, with the exception of long-haul crew get to see any of the dozens of places you fly to. And even at that, you have so little time, the jet lag is so much that you don't have the energy to go and see places as much as one might think. (Yes I know I'm fighting my own argument). I fly long haul, and I generally choose to rest and recharge whenever I am away from home. In most airlines people will serve decade-long careers, look at some airlines in the US with crew with over half a century of service. There are some crew in Europe with 40+ years service too. It's not a "gap-year job" as you seem to think it is.

Considering the op has a decent leaving from what I understand I just think he may be better off doing something else and that will at least pay off for the hard work he put into his leaving cert

Again, I got 480 points in my LC. I did all HL subjects, with the exception of Irish in which I got an A grade anyway, and I did mainly science subjects, which I pursued in tertiary level education too for a while. Is my choice of career indicative of me not slaving away? I spent many an hour aiming to achieve the best result I could, as do the vast majority of students today. And I could have had my pick of "decent" courses in any institution in the country or beyond. I like to think of myself as an intelligent person. But ones career does not need to be about fulfilling whatever prophecy that the leaving Cert claims to give.

At the end of the day, as long as you are happy in what you do (I am), can provide for yourself and dependants (I can) and are healthy and safe (I am) then people should have the freedom to do whatever they want with their lives. For goodness sake just because a career seems to demand a higher workload in your formative years does NOT mean that you are more likely to be happy. To think otherwise is foolish at the least.

considering you dont need (a leaving Cert) to be cc.

The post, above, correctly addresses this.

Mod Note
    I've just changed the bold to italic, please don't use bold in posts, as that is normally reserved for moderation comments. Thanks

Locker10a wrote: »
    Ehh you do need a leaving cert, at the minimum, to be CC some airlines require particular subjects and grades e.g. A grade C for maths and English. I think you'll also find most crew have a form of higher education too.

What was wrong with my statement?

I stated it usually isn't a requirement to have a leaving cert to be cc.

I work in an airline and our requirements do not require a leaving cert, middle eastern airlines don't either, BA don't .... and Aer Lingus don't.

Now because I said you don't need a leaving cert to be cc, that does not mean I said all cc don't have one or indeed have a 3rd level qualification, please don't read things in my post that I didn't actually say.

River Song wrote: »
    In most airlines people will serve decade-long careers, look at some airlines in the US with crew with over half a century of service. There are some crew in Europe with 40+ years service too. It's not a "gap-year job" as you seem to think it is.

I said it was my opinion that cc is something "best done" for a few years then moving onto something else in life. Now, again you have read this is me saying there are no cc who haven't made a career out of it which again is you reading stuff in my post that isn't actually there, please relax with the defensiveness.

I am well aware that there are cc with that length of service especially in the USA and many EU legacy carriers. However the job and what's associated with it is constantly changing and is becoming more demanding, we are talking about people who started their careers back in the Pan Am days or when Aer Lingus was state owned and things were a jolly for all. Making a 40yr career out of the current cc job that Ryanair (which is what the op said) have on offer will likely see you suffer to be frank.

Hence why I said I think it's best for a few years in the current climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Why do people feel the need to put down others dreams? OP, if it's your dream, go for it. Don't let anyone or anything get in your way, I'm lucky enough to have had 2 of my dream jobs (current one being CC with FR for over 7 years). It allows me extra time with my children as I work a 5:3 pattern, and being with FR allows me to be home to them every night. And I also got 420 point in my leaving, and despite being offered to study what I wanted to study in university, I chose not to. A further 4 years of education didn't appeal to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Jack1985

What was wrong with my statement?

I stated it usually isn't a requirement to have a leaving cert to be cc.

I work in an airline and our requirements do not require a leaving cert, middle eastern airlines don't either, BA don't .... and Aer Lingus don't.

Now because I said you don't need a leaving cert to be cc, that does not mean I said all cc don't have one or indeed have a 3rd level qualification, please don't read things in my post that I didn't actually say.

Hi, just to advise a Leaving Certificate is a requirement on entry to Cabin Crew at Aer Lingus.

Advertisement