Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prone shooting

Options
  • 20-08-2016 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Are there any competitions at 50/100m for .22 prone shooting?

I'm not talking about the ISSF shooting with slings and the jackets but rather bipod shooting.

Does this exist?

E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Baker.22

Yes the NASRPC run competitions and there are Prone comps included, I believe using scopes ? Other people will be able to tell you more

Baker

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭SVI40

Yes, the NASRPC do run prone competitions. You are allowed use a shooting jacket, and a single point sling if you want. They are specifically for sporting rifles, with scopes.
    The last one was held last week as part of the Kiel Trophy, where 2 paper cards were shot, and 20 silhouettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

SVI40 wrote: »
    Yes, the NASRPC do run prone competitions. You are allowed use a shooting jacket, and a single point sling if you want. They are specifically for sporting rifles, with scopes.
    The last one was held last week as part of the Kiel Trophy, where 2 paper cards were shot, and 20 silhouettes.

Are the rifles freeheld or are they on bipods?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭SVI40

Free held, no bipods or any form of rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

From the NASRPC website

Sporting Rifle
    Sporting Rifle involves shooting at a fixed target from a prone position with the rifle supported on the shooters hand.
    The Prone position involves the shooter lying flat on the ground. The Shooter may wear a shooting jacket, sling and a shooting glove which aid them in maintaining the shooting position for the duration of the match.
    The NASRPC run Sporting Rifle competitions for rifles chambered in .22LR ammunition and whose overall weight, including scope, is no more than 10lbs.
    The most popular competitions are shot at a distance of 50m but there are also competitions run at 25m and 100m. There is also the Kiel Trophy which is a multi discipline competition which includes Sporting Rifle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Ezra, I'm new to this, and turned up to a couple competitions with no sling! and a semi auto to boot:rolleyes: but I enjoyed it and learned a lot each time. Am going to get a dedicated target rifle next (cz455/452 or a 1710??) and hopefully tighten my groups to be in with a chance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The Midlands held a few shoots for both rimfire and centrefire rifles at distances from 50 to 300. You can see here, here, and here for some of the previous ones.

The rifles had a simple front rest or bipod, no back bag and mag fed. Some were timed exposures, others standard targets. The last one was a couple of months ago, but a schedule for new comps is being drawn up. They are open shoots so all are welcome.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement