Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York - advice

Options
  • 20-08-2016 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Off to New York in a week with a first time visitor. It's been many years since I did the tourist sites of the city, can anyone offer some tips?

Plan so far is:
    Empire State Building
    Site of Twin Towers
    Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island

Is there any more we should definitely do?

Also, any good tips for some good roof top bars?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Larry SR wrote: »
    Off to New York in a week with a first time visitor. It's been many years since I did the tourist sites of the city, can anyone offer some tips?

Plan so far is:
    Empire State Building
    Site of Twin Towers
    Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island

Is there any more we should definitely do?

Thanks in advance.

Central Park
    Time Square
    Rockafella Centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Do Top of the Rock rather than Empire State. A much more pleasant experience and you get to see the empire state.

Pizza under the Brooklyn bridge in Grimaldis and walk back to manhattan over the bridge is one of my favourite things to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The High Line is a must. Old elevated railway track that's been turned into a public park. You can walk the length of it in about 45 mins and enjoy some lovely sights along the way. I also really enjoy the bus tours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Larry SR

Central Park
    Time Square
    Rockafella Centre

Thanks! Forgot about a couple of the above and staying in Times Square.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Tenement museum is very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Tell your friend (who hasn't been there before) that you do a lot of walking in NYC so bring a trusty old pair of shoes, it's definitely not the time to break in a new pair! Remind him/her that the price tags on items in stores does not include 8.875% sales tax.

Don't go near any of the independent electronics stores in Manhattan, they are notorious for fleecing tourists with garbage sold with false promises. Stick with the established chains like Radio Shack or Staples. If buying a gadget which comes with a mains charger, ask for an 'international' model which can handle 100-240V mains supply.

The Staten Island ferry is free and gives you a great view of NY harbour - worth considering if you decide not to do the Statue of Liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Catch a basketball or baseball game if on, so much fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Irish famine memorial ,, a walk around the west village ,, steaks in smith and wollenskys ,, a broadway show ,, drinks in the red lion and dancing in webster hall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

The Intrepid Aircraft carrier is worth a visit if you're into that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

A Broadway show is a great night out as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bring your passport to Macy's and get a 10% 'out of town' discount.
    http://www.visitmacysusa.com/visitor-savings-pass

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Do the High Line after dark ... Much better experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

whippet wrote: »
    Do the High Line after dark ... Much better experience.

Agree. It has become a victim of its own success. So much so they had to shut it down recently due to overcrowding.

The Whitney Museum of American Art is worth a visit if you're into the whole art thing!

Walk around the East Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Larry SR wrote: »
    Plan so far is:

Site of Twin Towers

The new One World Observatory built on the site of Twin Towers is worth it for the views but is busy and pricey so book in advance

Rooftop bars - http://www.230-fifth.com/

230 Fifth is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Pre-book liberty island/ellis island.....the lines for the ferries start building before sunrise

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

You're probably there by now, but anyway...

Go to see The Book of Mormon on Broadway.

Enter the daily online draw for Hamilton. You probably won't win but you never know.

Go up one tall building (out of Rockerfeller, ESB and WTC). No need to go up all three.

Eat a ShakeShack in Madison Square Park (next to the Flatiron Building). Go back another day, eat another one.

If the weather is nice, sit out in the Sheep Meadow in Central Park some evening.

Visit the Irish Famine Memorial, it's like a small piece of rural Ireland next to the World Trade Center, very weird but well worth a visit.

In Brooklyn, get your pizza in Juliana's, not Grimaldi's (they're right next to each other). Shorter line, better pizza.

Go to Times Square once. Then never go there again.

Get a weekly subway pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Wondered if I might get a bit of advice as well...apologies if hijacking your thread OP.

Thinking about heading over and fancies the dates/prices around Thanksgiving. Is it utter madness around that time - is it to be avoided like the plague altogether? Dates I was thinking were 24th to 28th November, so would be there for Black Friday but happy to do touristy stuff then too instead of ploughing around the shops.

Appreciate any advice given :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Wondered if I might get a bit of advice as well...apologies if hijacking your thread OP.

Thinking about heading over and fancies the dates/prices around Thanksgiving. Is it utter madness around that time - is it to be avoided like the plague altogether? Dates I was thinking were 24th to 28th November, so would be there for Black Friday but happy to do touristy stuff then too instead of ploughing around the shops.

I'd rather see you settled in your hotel on the 23rd. If you have a hotel booked and somewhere to be on thanksgiving day, I think you'd be fine. Thanksgiving day itself will be quiet, dont make big plans. But services, shops, etc will be back open on Thursday. And what about staying until the 29th? Traveling on that Monday will be crazy.

Save

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I did almost these exact dates last year and it was great. Did touristy stuff on Black Friday to avoid the madness. Get up mega early to get a good view of the parade. Apart from that, there's not much different about the place as compared to other times if the year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

For eats book The River Cafe in Brooklyn. It has a perfect view of Brooklyn Bridge so book a window seat. Lunch is cheaper than dinner and it is a little pricey but well worth it.

UCB have two improv comedy theatres in New York. It's the theatre Amy Poehler set up. Always good stuff on.

Similarly google Batsu New York. Sells out every week. It's another improv comedy show but it's in a sushi restaurant and the show is themed on Japanese games shows. It's MENTAL!

To wine and dine with the locals head to the Lower East side of Manhattan. It's the cool part of town. Even the Irish bars there are trendy. There's one called The Late Late Show which is modelled on everyone in Ireland's favourite show...

In terms of the regular tourist stuff.

If you want to go to the crown of the Statue of Liberty book it now. Limited number are permitted in it daily.

As someone else said don't climb Empire State, climb the other skyscraper across of it. Do it at dusk if you can too.

Oh and brings lots of money. New York is pricey.

Cheers for the replies, once it's not heading into something absolutely crazy then I think I'm happy enough to head over around that time.
    InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'd rather see you settled in your hotel on the 23rd. If you have a hotel booked and somewhere to be on thanksgiving day, I think you'd be fine. Thanksgiving day itself will be quiet, dont make big plans. But services, shops, etc will be back open on Thursday. And what about staying until the 29th? Traveling on that Monday will be crazy.

Planning to arrive on Thanksgiving, which is the Thursday, so will miss most of that. Was kind of more worried that Black Friday was going to be manic and I would miss a day by not being able to move, but if I could do touristy stuff on that day, then I'm happy out. Wouldn't be flying out until late on the Monday, so expect that it'd have calmed down? Staying until the 29th would be ideal, but I'd be out of money and annual leave by then! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

faceman wrote: »
    As someone else said don't climb Empire State, climb the other skyscraper across of it.

Don't be climbing any skyscrapers. Use the lift inside...!!!!

Seriously though, over the years I've been up the ESB, Rockerfeller and the new WTC building this year. My favourite is the Rockefeller as you can get a great view of the other 2 and of central park which look amazing from there.

it is nice seeing Ellis island and the Statue of Liberty from the WTC though and the lift ride up and down is pretty cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

The black friday madness that we see on TV is when stores open at 5 or 6am.....and in recent years they've been opening even earlier, or not even closing the night before. It won't affect your visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Planning to arrive on Thanksgiving, which is the Thursday, so will miss most of that. Was kind of more worried that Black Friday was going to be manic and I would miss a day by not being able to move, but if I could do touristy stuff on that day, then I'm happy out. Wouldn't be flying out until late on the Monday, so expect that it'd have calmed down? Staying until the 29th would be ideal, but I'd be out of money and annual leave by then! :pac:

I think you're much better arriving on the Thanksgiving Thursday (which I have done three times) because the airports will be manic the day before with all the New Yorkers getting out of town to visit mom and pop.

Some places in Manhattan will be very busy on Black Friday - there used to be a massive queue to get into the FAO Schwartz toy store on 5th Ave. (now closed) and getting in and out of the nearby Apple store (the glass cube) was a nightmare with serious congestion on the stairs and a queue for the lift - possibly not as bad now since they opened a store in Grand Central Station.

Yes, the airports will have calmed down by Monday evening when you're flying home. Americans get very little annual vacation so most people will be back at their desks on Monday morning.

Thanks again for the replies folks, just gonna plough on and book it now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Outside of the parade route, Penn Station, and certain stores, NYC is comparatively a ghost town around Thanksgiving (like most holiday weekends). Two years ago I even ventured into Macy’s Black Friday afternoon and I’d seen worse when I worked in stores in Dublin. Definitely nothing to worry about when planning a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 livers

hey... we went about 2 years ago - landed thanksgiving afternoon... its so quiet around so easy to do stuff - as its just really tourists around! found an Italian restaurant around the corner from the hotel so didn't have to go somewhere and eat turkey! Macy's had started opening on thanksgiving that year so by 9 we were wondering around and the sales had already started - it was busy but Macy's always is! We went to New York for the shopping and were bracing ourselves for the madness of Black Friday - it was a bit of an anti climax - got up early and we were in bloomingdales for 7am - along with about 100 other people - the place was empty ! i think everything we see on TV are the retail parks outside of cities all around the states - and not in Manhattan. We got in loads of shopping and great deals in all the shops so don't let black Friday put you off! Enjoy - Im going start of December to get full Christmas experience as all other times I've gone have been Thanksgiving and all lights not up yet - or Rockefeller wasn't lit - can't wait !

Advertisement