Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert maths failure?

Options
  • 20-08-2016 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

what was with all the fails rate with OL maths this year?? my grinds teacher said the marking scheme was a bit strange!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The failure rate has really just returned to what it was before, after a blip last year.

2009 10.3%
    2010 9.7%
    2011 9.8%
    2012 9.4%
    2013 9.3%
    2014 8.6%
    2015 5.8%
    2016 9.2%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

spurious wrote:
    The failure rate has really just returned to what it was before, after a blip last year.

I wonder what percentage of the failures got grinds and for the ones that didn't, would it have helped if they did get grinds??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wonder what percentage of the failures got grinds and for the ones that didn't, would it have helped if they did get grinds??

I would say very few got grinds.
    For the OL paper, with a co-operative student, you can (according to a Maths teaching colleague) drill enough into them to be able to get a pass.

The very low achievers tend to be poor attenders and probably left the exam early, or only attempted one paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

spurious wrote:
    The very low achievers tend to be poor attenders and probably left the exam early, or only attempted one paper.

Ya that is very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

spurious wrote: »
    I would say very few got grinds.
    For the OL paper, with a co-operative student, you can (according to a Maths teaching colleague) drill enough into them to be able to get a pass.

I would have agreed with this much more on the old system. Project Maths does not suit this and it's much harder for the weakest of students to drag through when they need it for college. Manipulation and changes to the marking schemes are far more common. I honestly think that the OL paper should have at least one question which is guaranteed to appear and is reasonably easy. The layout and structure and level of English in the exam now makes it harder to get them through

• Advertisement
Advertisement