Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedora 25 - November Release

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    To be released in November, it will run Wayland by default. Any thoughts on this? I'll certainly be upgrading when possible.

https://linux.slashdot.org/story/16/08/20/0341200/fedora-25-to-run-wayland-by-default-instead-of-xorg-server?utm_source=rss1.0mainlinkanon&utm_medium=feed

It will be interesting to read what the user experience is like with this dual (Xorg & Wayland) capability.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Which is why I'm looking forward to its release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭opus

To be released in November, it will run Wayland by default. Any thoughts on this? I'll certainly be upgrading when possible.

Ah hear now, we've only just started installing F24 on new PC's at work & will start offering it to existing punters in a few months :) Will probably pass on F25 and go with 26 next year instead just to have some modicum of stability.

Will of course let one PC upgrade to it just to have a look myself ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I take it that Fedora is used in your place of work Opus?

I take it that Fedora is used in your place of work Opus?

Yup but not by everyone, it's mostly a Windows place.

• Advertisement

Could you not convince them all to make the move? Tell the boss how much money they'd save.

Probably not that much as there's a site wide educational license for all MS products. And if I'm really honest, I'm don't really care that much as more people people with Linux on their desktop would mean more work for me ;)

With Docker now available for Microsoft, I wonder how long it will be before one could use Microsoft Office products as docker images on Linux and Mac? Would save a lot of pain for such Companies who might want to port their applications to another OS.

With that in mind, I wonder would organisations be quick to move to Linux and keep their favourite Applications in order to keep the work force happy.

https://www.ctl.io/developers/blog/post/how-to-migrate-legacy-applications-into-docker-containers/

https://www.docker.com/microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

With Docker now available for Microsoft, I wonder how long it will be before one could use Microsoft Office products as docker images on Linux and Mac? Would save a lot of pain for such Companies who might want to port their applications to another OS.

With that in mind, I wonder would organisations be quick to move to Linux and keep their favourite Applications in order to keep the work force happy.

https://www.ctl.io/developers/blog/post/how-to-migrate-legacy-applications-into-docker-containers/

https://www.docker.com/microsoft

Considering you can get office for mac, what would be the point?

People seem to think there's all these barriers up why companies don't move to Linux when the simple fact is a lot of them just don't care.

It's very simple to say it saves money in a lot of cases it doesn't save money and can be a lot of hassle. For your average SME with mostly non technical staff the MS package is fine.

In fact TCO can often go up initially when such a move is made.

Every Tom dick and Harry trying to get Linux into places it's not generally needed will do more harm than good. Linux/BSD is pretty much running the world now, we don't need to get sheila at reception running arch for another box to be ticked.

crkball6 wrote: »
    ...Every Tom dick and Harry trying to get Linux into places it's not generally needed will do more harm than good. Linux/BSD is pretty much running the world now, we don't need to get sheila at reception running arch for another box to be ticked.

I agree with this statement, but it baffles me when People are willing to spend more than they should for a Mac, when they could have an equally as good machine, with an OS customised to emulate MacOS for much less and for what? Microsoft Office or fancy apps from the Apple store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭crkball6

I agree with this statement, but it baffles me when People are willing to spend more than they should for a Mac, when they could have an equally as good machine, with an OS customised to emulate MacOS for much less and for what? Microsoft Office or fancy apps from the Apple store.

There's no mystery; outside of the enterprise apple for most is a lifestyle choice and people like the fuzzies they get from the shiny hardware.

Anyone give it a go yet? Must upgrade tonight and see what issues may arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

I've upgraded one VM, but I haven't done much testing; just some web browsing etc. There are no glaring issues so far though. As with recent Fedora upgrades, the process itself was painless and hassle-free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Release delayed until next week?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-25-22-Nov-Delay
    Fedora 25 is not coming out next week as planned but has been pushed back to 22 November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could you not convince them all to make the move? Tell the boss how much money they'd save.

Having worked in multiple multi-platform environments - this is never true. The cost of supporting Linux desktops to even mid-level users is hideous; let alone other issues (namely that while Outlook is crap groupware, the other options are worse).

You will be pouring money down the drain for years. Licencing is a pretty tiny part of TCO and its not like the Vista days when you could argue that Linux let you get a few more years on a hardware refresh either.

Anyone give it a go yet? Must upgrade tonight and see what issues may arise.

I'll be waiting 'til it's been released a few weeks as it's my work PC I'll be putting it on so need it to be someway stable. F24 has been pretty good to me & it's great that Evolution (which I've been using since way back when) has been whipped into shape. Back in the F10,11,12 days it crashed if you just looked at it the wrong way :)

Had the choice of upgrading last night to 25. Decided I'll wait until the new year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Installed it on my work PC last night. So far so good. I was hit by this bug, but once I switched back to Xorg all is well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

There seems to be a number of bugs that I'd consider no-go's regarding wayland I'm surprised they decided to go ahead with gold.

If you're choosing this release as the release you make wayland default you want as few people as possible having to revert to xorg

I'm awaiting shipment of a new laptop so I'll hold on until then but I hope a lot of wayland bugs get ironed out quickly or the switch will be pointless.

Figure I've waited long enough so will install it on my PC this week sometime, clean install rather than upgrade as want to make sure my kickstart script plays ball.

• Advertisement

It's grand and I've not had any issues with it yet. For me it's a matter of keeping it updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Same here. Only "problem" was that I had to enable new devices in gimp (keyboard was fine, touch pad didn't work)

Running it for almost two weeks now, all going fine. Seems a little snappier graphics wise than 24 or maybe I'm imagining that :)

I haven't seen any difference with the graphics. It's come with issues, but my laptop is second hand and starting to fail.

Feel like I've let the side down. I had to buy a new laptop this week as my beloved HP died. I'm now running Windows 10 and Fedora 25 in Virtualbox. I'm giving it a few months until the end of my current course, while I use Microsoft Office, before I make the complete switch. I might then get a cracked version of 7, just so I can use visual studio, my preferred IDE on Windows.

Advertisement