Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction in MMA Forum

Options
  • 21-08-2016 12:17am
    Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭

Basically, I got an infraction for saying I hope Conor McGregor gets the head slapped off him.

I think this is absolutely ridiculous. When McGregor was fighting Aldo, people all over the forum were saying they hoped Aldo got the head slapped off him. Why is it that it's different here? I don't like the man, I want him to lose. Getting an infraction because I want a fighter to lose is downright lunacy.

Also, in my PM discussions with the Mod in question, he implied that I brought up the death of an MMA fighter to entice a row within the thread:
    You land in on the forum every time McGregor fights and give your opinion, in what can only be seen in this case as trolling. You started off going on about how you dont like McGregor then bring up Jose Carvalho - a topic that has absolutely nothing to do with tonights event an due to the nature of the circumstances is hardly something to be throwing around the forum.

This is a horrible implication and I will not stand for it.

I was simply asked why I don't like him. I explained why. I explained how McGregor says he's going to kill x, y and z, when only months go did he witness another fighter die in the octagon when fighting one of his proteges. That's why I brought it up. I didn't bring it up to get people to rage over it. I brought it up to get people to understand my point of view.

I apologised to the mod for being rude in the initial exchange, but when I saw that PM I was absolutely disgusted that anyone could think I would use a man's death to entice a backlash. Absolutely not. I explained numerous times in the thread why I brought it up and posters were able to understand it. They didn't agree with it, but they understood it.

The mod seems to have got it into his head that all I want is to troll people. Yes, I don't like McGregor. Yes, I post when he's fighting a lot. The mod tried to tell me I only post when McGregor is fighting, which is incorrect and an outright lie.

I got a warning overturned when I made a comment about McGregor before, which I accepted probably wasn't the right thing to say. However, to say I hope he gets the head slapped off him? Absolute joke.

I know the mods have a tough job here, but like I've said, people posted about McGregor slapping the heads off people and nothing is done about it. I say it about McGregor and all of a sudden I'm a troll.

I'm not being labelled as a troll. I'm not a troll. I'm someone with an opinion and I should be allowed to express it.

If I can't get this overturned, at the very least I deserve an apology for the disgraceful implication I posted above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Have you discussed this with a mod in an effort to resolve it?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

dudara wrote: »
    Have you discussed this with a mod in an effort to resolve it?

Sorry, yes I have. The message I've quoted in my post is what the mod said in our PM exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Right so, I'll ask a CMod to look into this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi there Faugheen, I'll take a look at this for you.

Can you please post or forward to me all of the PM's between yourself and the mod.

Thanks. :)

Forwarded the emails

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks Faugheen, I got your messages and had a look. I'm now going to get the Mod's side of it and get back to you.

I can understand your point of view, I just need to boil off opinions and look at remaining facts where possible.

Thanks for your patience.

S.

OK, so having heard from the mod concerned, there was at least one clear warning posted about 'fighter bashing' in that thread. It's also clear in the forum rules:
    7) No fighter bashing ( either pro org or local level - it's not cool and shows a small mind ).

You were also pretty aggressive towards other posters in between the time you posted and got the card.

I partially agree that you were not trolling, however, you were still in 'breach of the forum charter' (the reason you got carded) and were possibly needlessly causing aggravation as a result of 'fighter bashing'

I don't see any reason to overturn the mod decision in this case.

You may appeal this to admin if you wish.

Thanks,
    Steve.

Steve wrote: »
    OK, so having heard from the mod concerned, there was at least one clear warning posted about 'fighter bashing' in that thread. It's also clear in the forum rules:

You were also pretty aggressive towards other posters in between the time you posted and got the card.

I partially agree that you were not trolling, however, you were still in 'breach of the forum charter' (the reason you got carded) and were possibly needlessly causing aggravation as a result of 'fighter bashing'

I don't see any reason to overturn the mod decision in this case.

You may appeal this to admin if you wish.

Thanks,
    Steve.

I'm sorry, but saying 'I hope he gets the head slapped off him' is not fighter bashing. It's a way of saying I want him to lose.

I know this isn't anything to do with my infraction, but that phrase is thrown around the MMA forum all the time when it doesn't even involve Conor McGregor, and not a single thing is done about it. It's not seen as fighter-bashing then, so why is it fighter bashing when Conor McGregor is involved? And if it is fighter-bashing, then me as a poster seeing that it isn't being punished allows me to believe that there's nothing wrong with the phrase (which there isn't). I never had an issue with seeing other posters use that phrase and going by the fact they weren't punished by the mods, it's fair to assume they saw nothing wrong either.

It's a forum about Mixed Martial Arts, slapping the head off the opponent is part of the game!

And saying I was aggressive, I had posters telling me that I don't watch the sport so I simply told one not to tell me what I do and don't watch. I'm fully entitled to defend myself against people who decide to attack me.

I don't know if what I've said is going to do anything to change your mind, so I would like an admin to review it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I must say that I disagree somewhat with Steve. I do think that you were trolling. You weren't participating in a discussion about the sport. You were making a personal comment about McGregor either for your own satisfaction or to get a rise out of his supporters in that thread...
    Faugheen wrote:
    Because Conor McGregor is such a classy guy.

I personally hope he gets the head slapped off him.

Card upheld.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement