Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preseason thread

• 21-08-2016 2:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure why there wasn't already one of these, but would be cool to have a specific thread to discuss the preseason games, anything interesting, anybody shining through on teams that we should all be looking out for in the regular season?

And of course, who is fighting whom, and why???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Could be a lonely thread. For the eagerly awaited Broncos 49ers matchup there have been 3 fumbles in 5 plays, two by Mark Sanchez in his first two drives. This guy can't be no.1 QB? Siemian threw a pick 6 in the first....who's next up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

The Broncos will respond as is appropriate for NFL players - they will give the 49ers a spanking in the game tonight.
    I suspect there will be a bit of payback from the Broncos tonight when the two teams face off against one another in the pre-season game.

Just going to leave this here.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Kubiak has them right where he wants them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

It's almost like you shouldn't read too much into a preseason result. I'm sure nobody will be saying anything rash in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Yup putting any stock in pre-season games is pointless at best. These games are nothing more than a warm up for some and try outs for others against live opponents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Seems to me that the 49ers really got into the Broncos heads during the week with physical and aggressive practices. I wonder if this Broncos team is mentally tough enough?

This thread could be great craic...should have just called it "sarcastaball"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Oh I just saw the 49ers result. Oh dear oh dear. Well nail them on as NFC champs now. Wait that sounds like a statement of fact in a sport where anything can happen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Do we get the lombardi trophy now or do we have to wait until February. Also Ponder is the second coming of Blaine Gabbert who in turn was the second coming of Colin Kaepernick

https://twitter.com/49ers/status/767203878903291904

I just saw the highlight of the Tampa bay rookie kicker missing a chip shot FG. I know it's pre season but a second round pick shouldn't be missing those kicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

adrian522 wrote: »
    Do we get the lombardi trophy now or do we have to wait until February. Also Ponder is the second coming of Blaine Gabbert who in turn was the second coming of Colin Kaepernick

He was doing yard work and painting his house last week and did that to guys who should be the first stop for any team looking for help on defence?

Baalke needs to tie him down to a long term contract ASAP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I just saw the highlight of the Tampa bay rookie kicker missing a chip shot FG. I know it's pre season but a second round pick shouldn't be missing those kicks.

Which one? That's one in each game... A short FG and an extra point... Dee-saster

BKWDR wrote: »
    Which one? That's one in each game... A short FG and an extra point... Dee-saster

He missed one last night a FG. I mean I don't know what happened. I could be wrong but with the hash marks being closer to the middle of the field in the pros compared to college the kicks should be easier. I just don't know it looked very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

He missed one last night a FG. I mean I don't know what happened. I could be wrong but with the hash marks being closer to the middle of the field in the pros compared to college the kicks should be easier. I just don't know it looked very strange.

Either he isn't making the transition or he's a serious case of the jitters

It's actually three misses over the two games. The coach was making excuses week 1 but not week 2. Could be that the pressure and expectation of being a second round pick are getting to him, by all accounts he is the best kicker in college football history. That'll give him a bit of leeway as well as the high draft position, but kickers are expendable no matter what.

Lads you know what I think dax Prescott could be a bit special for the Cowboys. I'm not saying he will be and I know it's preseason but he looks very comfortable when under centre and just in general.

It's actually three misses over the two games. The coach was making excuses week 1 but not week 2. Could be that the pressure and expectation of being a second round pick are getting to him, by all accounts he is the best kicker in college football history. That'll give him a bit of leeway as well as the high draft position, but kickers are expendable no matter what.
    you see having people refer to you as the best kicker in college football history. I mean that can't help in any way shape or form with any natural nerves he'd have.

you see having people refer to you as the best kicker in college football history. I mean that can't help in any way shape or form with any natural nerves he'd have.

Quite true. But there's no shortage of pressure on the college game either so it's a strange one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Josh Norman and Bashaud Breeland is such a strong CB duo. Look brilliant out there.

Bears and chiefs seemingly trying to bore one another into submission. Well...they've bored me into submission, I'm getting a beer.

On a side note, watching the preseason with the commentary provided by one of the teams is really annoying. I'm watching on a chiefs feed and (understandable) is just about their players, nothing about ours. Makes it hard to follow how the back up guys are getting on and stuff. Would rather regular neutral commentary.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So Kaepernick has been sitting down through the national anthem during the preseason. I can't see this increasing his popularity among NFL fans in general, and the military jingoism the NFL indulges in would be at odds with his decision.
    "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game against Green Bay. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

Chiefs have held the bears starters scoreless in the first half, in fact they've only a couple of first downs. Presumably the chiefs are super bowl bound. Haven't seen the back ups yet, I'll decide whether they're relevant to this analysis later.

adrian522 wrote: »
    So Kaepernick has been sitting down through the national anthem during the preseason. I can't see this increasing his popularity among NFL fans in general, and the military jingoism the NFL indulges in would be at odds with his decision.
    I'm sure this will achieve a lot for him. Speaking of people being on paid leave...

I see the andy reid two minute offense is still as smooth as ever.

And the bears got into chiefs side of the field because of a unsportsmanlike conduct by the chiefs and then after a false start go back over the 50. That's funny bad stuff.

And the bears got into chiefs side of the field because of a unsportsmanlike conduct by the chiefs and then after a false start go back over the 50. That's funny bad stuff.

They've been absolutely woeful. Can't point to any positives for the bears offense in that half, you'd be hoping things would be a bit more joined up at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Baltimore commentators think that Stafford is .always injured and Reggie Bush is still with the team....huh.

The Vikings playing the Chargers atm in the first game in this new stadium. The stadium looks unreal.

I see that fox are using the Vikings chargers and cardinals and Texans games to get their two commentator groups a test run before the season starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭cosatron

Melvin Gordon can move. If the chargers o-line can function, I think this offence could be dangerous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

titans are looking pretty good.. bar the depth at CB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭cosatron

titans are looking pretty good.. bar the depth at CB

Do you think malarkey will be good enough for ye. It's obvious ye are going for smash mouth football but when teams load the box, have ye the players on the outside and trust in Mariota to get it done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

cosatron wrote: »
    Do you think malarkey will be good enough for ye. It's obvious ye are going for smash mouth football but when teams load the box, have ye the players on the outside and trust in Mariota to get it done.

He's surprised a lot of people, he's implemented a good physical team that looks like it can run and throw, i'm hopeful anyway!

titans 2nd in yardage
    2ptys69.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Usual pre-season caveats with those stats though. Take with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Usual pre-season caveats with those stats though. Take with a pinch of salt.

You better believe it - the Broncos aren't remotely close to being no.8 on offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭csirl

Lads you know what I think dax Prescott could be a bit special for the Cowboys. I'm not saying he will be and I know it's preseason but he looks very comfortable when under centre and just in general.

Daks now the opening day starter. Romo out for a few weeks.....again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

So Jared Goff opening the season as 3rd string QB's. All Goff had to do was show some modicum of talent and he would surely have beaten off Case Keenum for the job of handing the ball to Todd Gurley and throwing screens to Tavon Austin.

Is it too early to call him a bust or can we just go ahead and get it out of the way and move on?

i decided to watch a bit of the vikings vs LA rams from last night. I can't wait until the non team commentary teams are in place next week. I say that because THREE times the vikings play by play guy said St Louis Rams in the first six minutes of the broadcast. And the annoying thing was the colour guy there decided to not correct him.

It's not as if there wasn't big media coverage of the owners meeting to move the team.

Advertisement