Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless campaigner is a fraud. Mod Note #1835

• 21-08-2016 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alive1

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/homeless-campaigner-refused-two-house-offers-34981951.html

Despicable that this shinnerbot has forced her child to live in a hotel room just so she can promote her and SFs agenda.
    "Ms Fleming was offered a two-bedroom apartment in the upmarket Dublin suburb of Mount Prospect Avenue in Clontarf around the same time she was being filmed for an RTE documentary on the homeless crisis."
    "Ms Fleming has regularly spoken publicly about her plight, including delivering a speech at the most recent Sinn Fein Ard Fheis.

She was also part of a Sinn Fein-led delegation which travelled to Brussels to address the EU commission on the homeless crisis."

What a selfish Cnut!

MOD NOTE: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103264419&postcount=1835

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Awkward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Could you not have waited till tomorrow morning with this thread, it been Monday then folks here be more in a bad mood and project there anger more aggressively. :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Alive1 wrote: »

What a selfish Cnut!
    Big shock. Not. Let's face it when the most vocally "homeless" are living gratis on the public purse in hotels and moaning about it we've never had it so good and/or peak piss taking has been achieved.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

so she thought she deserved more than normal renters?
    You could be okay for 12 months but a landlord could turn around in 12 months and say 'actually we can get more rent off somebody else or we are selling the property'. Because there is no back up plan with Dublin City Council, you're living in a hotel again."

Tenants in rental accommodation under the HAP scheme have the same legal entitlements as a private renter.

I'm a big believer in social welfare but i always thought she'd a sense of entitlement with her demands to go to trinity on the taxpayers account.
    I'm all on for giving people a hand up but there comes a time when one needs to provide for oneself especially luxuries which I believe a trinity degree is (as it's certainly not essential to living successfully)

This just shows she is a fraud.
    Cases like this just turn people off helping others cos you are always afraid of the scam , which is really sad .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

That's cause her ultimate goal is

Gs1p23m.jpg

Mod: Beware potential GoT spoiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

Wibbs wrote: »
    Big shock. Not. Let's face it when the most vocally "homeless" are living gratis on the public purse in hotels and moaning about it we've never had it so good and/or peak piss taking has been achieved.

In fairness I don't think living in a hotel is the greatest of lifestyles especially if you're kicked out on the street during the day. However, from my perspective it is a damn sight better than sleeping on streets or in hostel. At least you're dry, warm and safe.

arayess wrote: »
    so she thought she deserved more than normal renters?

I'm a big believer in social welfare but i always thought she'd a sense of entitlement with her demands to go to trinity on the taxpayers account.
    I'm all on for giving people a hand up but there comes a time when one needs to provide for oneself especially luxuries which I believe a trinity degree is (as it's certainly not essential to living successfully)

This just shows she is a fraud.
    Cases like this just turn people off helping others cos you are always afraid of the scam , which is really sad .

I won't pretend to understand how the HAP scheme works but reading Twitter it appears she is receiving a lot of support for her refusal. People talking about kids schools and the like and her right to a permanent home. I have to say I think she is doing great damage to those who are struggling with homelessness. Her behaviour just lends support to those who contend everyone on social welfare or struggling with homelessness is scamming the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭onform

I hope those in the media, eg Ray D'Arcy who have given her a soapbox will have the same time to address the fact that she was offered 2 properties under the HAP scheme. I won't hold my breath though... Best case scenario she won't be given any more exposure.

There are questions around how the newspaper was allowed to see that DCC file on Erica Fleming. Surely there are issues with data protection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

BaaLamb wrote: »
    I won't pretend to understand how the HAP scheme works but reading Twitter it appears she is receiving a lot of support for her refusal. People talking about kids schools and the like and her right to a permanent home. I have to say I think she is doing great damage to those who are struggling with homelessness. Her behaviour just lends support to those who contend everyone on social welfare or struggling with homelessness is scamming the system.

she was offered a 12 month lease (all paid ) for in clontarf and refused it..
    12 month lease is a standard enough thing - she is getting private market norms for free... you would hope that with brains good enough for trinity that she would get herself sorted in 12 months , get a job to support herself going forward and out of the welfare net.
    But she doesn't want that...its' all "what can I get and for how long".. free rent for life she wants...there is no self improvement in her agenda only what she can get for free .

so it stinks of wanting a free ride for life....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Attention seeker also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Unfortunately she is one of many who have refused rental properties more than once. Surely it's time for the rules to be changed to take what you're given or fcuk off.

12 month lease is a standard enough thing - she is getting private market norms for free... you would hope that with brains good enough for trinity that she would get herself sorted in 12 months , get a job to support herself going forward and out of the welfare net.
    But she doesn't want that...its' all what can I get and for how long.. free rent for life she wants...there is no self improvement in her agenda only what she can get for free .

She apparently works part-time which is why she isn't eligible for the BTEA to attend the Trinity access programme course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

This is very upsetting as there are many people who would have jumped at that opportunity. A very kind man on the radio offered her a two bed apartment and she was to give him whatever she could afford and she turned that down also as it wasn't in one of the 2 locations in Dublin that she wanted to live in. I'm from Dublin and would love to live where i grew up! Wouldn't we all?! i don't understand the sense of entitlement

This has got to be playing out like an episode of The Thick of It somewhere in SF HQ. Someone shouting "Jesus Christ, she turns her nose up at certain addresses and want to go to Trinners, I want whoever found this beaut dragged in"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Wibbs wrote: »

I would go with piss taking and political agenda here as there are genuine homeless people out there who would only love to be offered what ms greedy/political agenda has been offered.

And unfortunally the likes of this carry on tarnish's the genuine cases especially in the public eye.

This has got to be playing out like an episode of The Thick of It somewhere in SF HQ. Someone shouting "Jesus Christ, she turns her nose up at certain addresses and want to go to Trinners, I want whoever found this beaut dragged in"...

They ****ed up big style there. This is going to hurt families who really do need a home. She was the poster girl for the homeless and it was so obvious to see that she wasn't desperate. She had a car in that documentary. Why not sell the car and get yourself a deposit for a place within your means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭anewme

There are questions around how the newspaper was allowed to see that DCC file on Erica Fleming. Surely there are issues with data protection?

Could they have applied under the freedom of information act?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Good article by Ellis o Hanlon as part of that section from last Sunday's indo.
    Too lazy to link it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

A right to this this. A right to that. She has a right to go back to her family's home and live there.
    What's next a right to have a Rolex cos somebody else has one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

She said she wanted the next property she and daughter lived in "to be for life".

Well that's nice, but back in the real world she'll have to bust a gut to save and secure her own place for that to pan out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I reckon there was a method to her refusal. If you accept a property on the HAP scheme, you are taken off the housing list as you are no longer in need of housing. She has said she wants the next place she lives to "be for life" so I would say she is holding out for a council property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

But she doesn't want that...its' all "what can I get and for how long".. free rent for life she wants...there is no self improvement in her agenda only what she can get for free .

After 6 months she gets part 4 tenancy and can stay 4 years without being asked to move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

She wants a 'place for life'?
    Dont we all, but most of us dumbos actually work hard to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Well you can hardly be the poster girl for the accommodation crisis if you accept a home. Then you won't get invited to any more Add Fheises either.

This woman just wants a profile. She's not in real need, she's a charlatan. And she's out to milk the system for all she can get.

Pretty damn selfish though keeping her kid in a hotel when they could be living in Clontarf.

Winterlong wrote: »
    She wants a 'place for life'?
    Dont we all, but most of us dumbos actually work hard to pay for it.

It appears that you can have a free hotel room for a good chunk of it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Adds fuel to the us vs them mentality, selfish cow in every sense of the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

If the article is correct, it really shows what is wrong with society.

While I sympathise with anyone who finds themselves homeless, if you are availing of a free house or a house with heavily subsidised rent, you should accept what you are being given.

If you want to chose where you live, then work your ass off like the rest of us.

Admirable that she's going to college with a view of bettering herself - perhaps she can be selective about the house she can afford when she finds a job post degree.

Until then sacrifices have to be made.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Rent is market rate- and is paid directly to the landlord by the local authority/council. Tenant has an initial fixed term lease for 1 year, after 6 months of which, they acquire Part IV rights under the Residential Tenancies Act (the same as any other tenant).

Their tenancy is identical and has identical conditions- to those governing any other tenancy- and may only be ended for certain reasons (listed in the Act- but which include antisocial behaviour, significant damage to the property, major renovations, the landlord requiring the property for him/herself or an immediate family member etc etc).

The stated reason for refusing the 2 HAP offers- is the beneficiary wants 'a forever home'- i.e. they do not want to be a tenant- and subject to the provisions of the Act (like any other tenant).

I didn't see the RTE documentary etc (I don't watch a lot of television)- and I haven't any background to the case- but from my exposure to these type cases (from moderating the accommodation and property forum)- there are a sizeable cohort of people who distinctly dislike the HAP scheme- as it means they are removed from local authority housing lists (the fact that these lists can and are in excess of 15 years long in some parts of the country seems to be irrelevant). The lure of a 'council house for life' is far more lucrative than a 1 year lease (with the rent fully paid- and with all the protections but also obligations of the Residential Tenancies Act) in a let property.

Personally I think our housing policies are disasterous- and aren't going to get better anytime soon- without a massive increase in the construction of social housing (which should be let to anyone at all- not limited to social welfare tenants)- the current 'inclusion' policies- are a patent failure.

Re: her offer of a place in Trinity- well done to her- I hope she studies something productive that furthers her in life.

It would appear the HAP scheme is a victim of its own success- by giving people too many options- they may refuse an immediate option- in the expectation of being offered a more preferable option further down the road.

The real victim in all of this- is the poor woman's daughter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

When it comes to the budget in two months time n there's no money for reducing people's usc it'll be comforting to know that the money went instead on the likes of this ones hotel.
    There was a report out yesterday that the council give mortgages to people who were refused by the banks. At seriously good rates compared to the banks. In some councils 70% of those mortgages weren't being paid back!
    I think whatever whingers get on Joe Duffy is how the government decides to spend our taxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Rent is market rate- and is paid directly to the landlord by the local authority/council. Tenant has an initial fixed term lease for 1 year, after 6 months of which, they acquire Part IV rights under the Residential Tenancies Act (the same as any other tenant).

Their tenancy is identical and has identical conditions- to those governing any other tenancy- and may only be ended for certain reasons (listed in the Act- but which include antisocial behaviour, significant damage to the property, major renovations, the landlord requiring the property for him/herself or an immediate family member etc etc).

The stated reason for refusing the 2 HAP offers- is the beneficiary wants 'a forever home'- i.e. they do not want to be a tenant- and subject to the provisions of the Act (like any other tenant).

I didn't see the RTE documentary etc (I don't watch a lot of television)- and I haven't any background to the case- but from my exposure to these type cases (from moderating the accommodation and property forum)- there are a sizeable cohort of people who distinctly dislike the HAP scheme- as it means they are removed from local authority housing lists (the fact that these lists can and are in excess of 15 years long in some parts of the country seems to be irrelevant). The lure of a 'council house for life' is far more lucrative than a 1 year lease (with the rent fully paid- and with all the protections but also obligations of the Residential Tenancies Act) in a let property.

Personally I think our housing policies are disasterous- and aren't going to get better anytime soon- without a massive increase in the construction of social housing (which should be let to anyone at all- not limited to social welfare tenants)- the current 'inclusion' policies- are a patent failure.

Re: her offer of a place in Trinity- well done to her- I hope she studies something productive that furthers her in life.

It would appear the HAP scheme is a victim of its own success- by giving people too many options- they may refuse an immediate option- in the expectation of being offered a more preferable option further down the road.

The real victim in all of this- is the poor woman's daughter.

Thanks for that insight.its good to see how it operates.

I've zero sympathy for this woman though, all she wants to do is abuse the system, she's saying she is homeless to gain sympathy but the reality is far from that.

Similar to the "charity" sector, it's really time the "homeless" industry in Ireland is overhauled.

Homeless to me is no where to live not no where to live(in an area I like, for life, subsidised by you idiots commuting from Cavan and so on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Does this surprise anyone?

Where are her family by the way? Why can't she live with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Considering she has been given multiple opportunities to put a roof over her child's head and has refused each one due to her own self entitlement, does anyone think that child services should be informed?

She's forcing her child to be homeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

She also has room in her family's home, as they habe a 4 bed with one person aside from the parents there. She's also still in a long term relationship, so no doubt could be with her boyfriend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

The lady should be charged for child abuse. She is wilfully making her child homeless and damaging their future all for personal gain and media attention. She should get a visit from the child protection agency and be told she is now back of the queue for a house.

This is exactly what is wrong with the country. Entitlement Ireland Inc. alive and well, being given a soapbox by the media. A right to this and that, with no responsibility attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

What's the market rate for a two bed apartment in clontarf 1400/1500? And its not good enough for her. If we all commuted longer ,worked harder n paid more taxes this woman could get exactly what she's after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Icsics

My hubby stays in the hotel this lady lives in for work. It's near the airport, but you need to get a shuttle bus to it . I've seen her myself, filling a bag from the breakfast buffet, getting her coffee & heading off in her gym gear.
    An absolute disgrace that the taxpayer is funding this lifestyle choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Icsics wrote: »
    My hubby stays in the hotel this lady lives in for work. It's near the airport, but you need to get a shuttle bus to it . I've seen her myself, filling a bag from the breakfast buffet, getting her coffee & heading off in her gym gear.

Jesus... I actually feel sick reading that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm flabbergasted by this. We have scrimped and saved and fought with life insurance companies and banks and are finally, finally sale agreed on a 'forever home' for us and our toddler all while paying rent. It's not the area we wanted, far from it but we have to cut our cloth.

This woman has actually turned down accommodation which would give her a huge leg up to get back into life and instead she has her child living in homeless accommodation? What the hell is wrong with her? Sort your **** out, take the handout and get your child into a proper routine and house as quickly as possible. Forever home ffs

wrote:
    Good article by Ellis o Hanlon...Sunday's indo.

Good article. O'Hanlon. Sunday Independent. Pigs will fly.

Rant follows.

The day any of the in-bred vacuous anti-republican arseholes, and their mob culture revolving around loyalty to the West Brit agenda of the Fanning-Harris cult, in the Sunday Independent produce anything resembling "good" is the day after O'Hanlon, Eoghan Harris, O'Connor, Fanning, Ross and all the rest of them have been sacked.

Thankfully, their new oligarch controller Denis O'Brien made Ireland that little bit better by first bankrupting Sir Anthony Pompous O'Reilly and then effectively sacking his loyalist Anne Harris as editor. He needs to intensify the purge quickly. Broken record O'Hanlon is the absolutely perfect place to start.

Rant ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Shocking but not surprising

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Since market rents are above HAP limits, what motivation does a landlord (especially in Dublin) have to accept HAP unless there's an issue with the property? I know someone currently living in a flea pit (the local gangster is running a brothel upstairs) and they can't find anywhere that will accept HAP.

Even if the rented properties Fleming was offered were semi-decent, what happens if the landlord decides in 2 years to increase the rent above HAP limits? Economic evictions are happening all over the place and many of the these tenants are forced to choose between homelessness and screwing over their landlord. I don't know what Fleming's previous circumstances were, but if she just came from a rented accommodation I can understand her wanting to hold out to see if she can get somewhere more secure. If not a council house then maybe something with a longer lease under RAS.

Since market rents are above HAP limits, what motivation does a landlord (especially in Dublin) have to accept HAP unless there's an issue with the property? I know someone currently living in a flea pit (the local gangster is running a brothel upstairs) and they can't find anywhere that will accept HAP.

Even if the rented properties Fleming was offered were semi-decent, what happens if the landlord decides in 2 years to increase the rent above HAP limits? Economic evictions are happening all over the place and many of the these tenants are forced to choose between homelessness and screwing over their landlord. I don't know what Fleming's previous circumstances were, but if she just came from a rented accommodation I can understand her wanting to hold out to see if she can get somewhere more secure. If not a council house then maybe something with a longer lease under RAS.
    If so many people are genuinely homless why couldn't they have found a genuine person for thier campaign?

To be honest, I'm kinda relieved to read this.

I know full well how deep the housing crisis runs and how complex homelessness can be, and if this woman and her child ... after all the publicity and her high profile ... were not being dealt with properly (as I now believe she was) then our society was truly in the crapper.

Alive1 wrote: »
    She was also part of a Sinn Fein-led delegation which travelled to Brussels to address the EU commission on the homeless crisis."

That bit has to be of some concern.

We can have a laugh and say "ooops, political party makes gaffe"...but if those who hold the purse strings hear that we sent over someone who actually has waived very considerable benefits conferred on her, they might be less than impressed. As others have noted, it does the plight of those in serious situations a considerable disservice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

This story needs to get serious media attention. It should be on the 9 o clock news tonight.

I am absolutely sick after reading it. Exactly what is wrong with this country. People like her are entitled to an easy life with the works handed to them on a plate, while the rest of us work 60 hour weeks just to stay afloat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Icsics wrote: »

Perhaps the lack of gyms close to the two places she's been offered makes them completely unsuitable for her?

I feel so sorry for her daughter. She is now learning that life other people earn you demand for free by emotional blackmail and manipulating the media. This is how you shape your child's mind... by your own example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Corkman16

This hotel charges over € 150 per night during the summer season.
    It's very handy for Tesco, just across the lights.

She also gets free parking in the underground car park for her Nice Golf!

The other housing offers didn't provide this!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Smondie wrote: »
    If so many people are genuinely homless why couldn't they have found a genuine person for thier campaign?

This isn't the third world. Just because someone is not destitute and has the option to decline offers of housing that are unsuitable doesn't mean they are not genuinely homeless. She's working part-time and completed an access course with the intention of going to university. She has a school-age daughter to take care of. If she believes by holding out a bit longer she can find a better, more secure home for her and her daughter, I see nothing unreasonable or dishonest about her.

This isn't the third world. Just because someone is not destitute and has the option to decline offers of housing that are unsuitable doesn't mean they are not genuinely homeless. She's working part-time and completed an access course with the intention of going to university. She has a school-age daughter to take care of. If she believes by holding out a bit longer she can find a better, more secure home for her and her daughter, I see nothing unreasonable or dishonest about her.

If someone is refusing accommodation they are not homeless. They are voluntarily without the accomodation of thier choosing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement