Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless campaigner is a fraud. Mod Note #1835

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

This isn't the third world. Just because someone is not destitute and has the option to decline offers of housing that are unsuitable doesn't mean they are not genuinely homeless. She's working part-time and completed an access course with the intention of going to university. She has a school-age daughter to take care of. If she believes by holding out a bit longer she can find a better, more secure home for her and her daughter, I see nothing unreasonable or dishonest about her.

It's plain to see that she's strategically playing her "entitlements", it's the painting herself as a victim of a heartless system that is false and dishonest. She's been offered many chances and chose not to avail of them because to be subject to normal renting conditions is not good enough for her. She's the proverbial "give me my free house" type, in gym gear and coffee in hand for a change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Good article. O'Hanlon. Sunday Independent. Pigs will fly.

Rant follows.

The day any of the in-bred vacuous anti-republican arseholes, and their mob culture revolving around loyalty to the West Brit agenda of the Fanning-Harris cult, in the Sunday Independent produce anything resembling "good" is the day after O'Hanlon, Eoghan Harris, O'Connor, Fanning, Ross and all the rest of them have been sacked.

Thankfully, their new oligarch controller Denis O'Brien made Ireland that little bit better by first bankrupting Sir Anthony Pompous O'Reilly and then effectively sacking his loyalist Anne Harris as editor. He needs to intensify the purge quickly. Broken record O'Hanlon is the absolutely perfect place to start.

Rant ends.

sort of missed the point there . didn't you ?

also you forgot to mention water charges and garda harassment of a legitimate political party

Unless she is being stage managed by the shinners (very possible) she is just a greedy little scrounger who demands for free what most people work for all their life .

Its very little to do with denis o brien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Smondie wrote: »
    They are voluntarily without the accomodation of thier choosing.

Like 90% of mortgage paying mugs, so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

This isn't the third world. Just because someone is not destitute and has the option to decline offers of housing that are unsuitable doesn't mean they are not genuinely homeless. She's working part-time and completed an access course with the intention of going to university. She has a school-age daughter to take care of. If she believes by holding out a bit longer she can find a better, more secure home for her and her daughter, I see nothing unreasonable or dishonest about her.

It's a kick in the balls to all the people who are trying to keep their family afloat by working long hours and cutting back on luxeries so their kids are looked after. Lots of people can't afford decent cars, or live where they want cos they have to pay bills while this attention seeker cries the poor mouth. She has no sense of personal responsibily behaving like a spoilt bitch crying because she can't get everything she wants handed to her for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Is this the constituent Mary Lou talked about in the Dail?

BaaLamb wrote: »
    In fairness I don't think living in a hotel is the greatest of lifestyles especially if you're kicked out on the street during the day. However, from my perspective it is a damn sight better than sleeping on streets or in hostel. At least you're dry, warm and safe.

Accepting a two bed apartment, deposit paid for you, is infinitely better than either. Ray Darcy loved her, but Ryan Tubridy saw through her. We all have to take some responsibility for our situations. She twice refused a two bed home in favour of a single hotel room. WHY?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

If there is nothing unreasonable or dishonest about it, then why not state this in the documentary? Why was she not forthcoming about the offers of property? If it is all A-ok then surely this information would have been disclosed to give the public the full picture. If it was disclosed, then fair enough. The fact remains that two properties have been rejected, plus another offer from some bloke on the radio, on the grounds that it is not in a suitable location. I wish we could all live where we want, but that just is not the reality unfortunately.

Nobody wants to see anybody homeless, but there is a bang of entitlement off this whole affair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

mynamejeff wrote: »

Unless she is being stage managed by the shinners (very possible) she is just a greedy little scrounger who demands for free what most people work for all their life .

She is stage managed by Sinn Fein. The same way the woman living in a car in Tallaght a couple of years ago was stage managed by Sinn Fein. (she had a house in Athy which she "didn't like")

Generally most people can now see through the stage management of these types by Sinn Fein / PBP / AAA as they depend on social media to publicise the scam stories, but that same social media also provides the real truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

She apparently works part-time which is why she isn't eligible for the BTEA to attend the Trinity access programme course.

She was giving up the job to attend college. Because I had been thinking myself that if she works part time and gets fis that would be enough to get her through college as it's what I did at one stage as a single parent in college. It would actually be more than BTEA. She said on the radio that the job wasn't suitable to do as well as college due to the hours. So she was putting herself out of the job to go to college (for an access programme so she would need to do another course to actually graduate with real employment prospects) and that is not what BTEA is for. It is not to just finance anybody who wants to go to college. She wasn't eligible due to the payment she was on- fis. Not necessarily because she was working. If she was in receipt of opfp or jobseekers she would have been entitled.

Her supporters on social media are supporting her because they have the same mindset as her. All this "she's a single mother who got into Trinity and now the government "aren't letting" her go - justice for single parents". Its the same self entitlement as she has about the house. The government won't give me a forever house. The government are not responsible for sending you to Trinity and they are not responsible for giving you a house to live in for the rest of your life. There are many single parents saving for their forever home. While also paying their rent. And then she gets support from the media and slaps on the back. I've been sick of people going on about her- one person even said "isn't she doing great for your cause?" My "cause" being a single mother. Said to me while I'm working full time to save for my own house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

Walter2016 wrote: »
    She is stage managed by Sinn Fein. The same way the woman living in a car in Tallaght a couple of years ago was stage managed by Sinn Fein. (she had a house in Athy which she "didn't like")

Generally most people can now see through the stage management of these types by Sinn Fein / PBP / AAA as they depend on social media to publicise the scam stories, but that same social media also provides the real truth.

What's the PBP/AAA scam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Corkman16 wrote: »

She also gets free parking in the underground car park for her Nice Golf!

The other housing offers didn't provide this!

I wonder how this effects her insurance policy?

Did she give her parents address as hers and then, quite rightly, say that the car is usually kept in the hotel as she's homeless?

Maybe she did and they charged her more, and that's why she is seen in the breakfast room with the bag stocking up for the day ahead. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

How much is her gym membership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as someone who has worked with the REAL homeless for years , NOT those living in Hotels , I find these allegations despicable - and for her poor daughter , just to raise her profile or career - unbelievable selfishness - Shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

It's not clear that she goes to a gym every day, just that she wears the gear.
    She may be going to a park to train for free.

That said, maybe the hotel has a resident's gym.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dawn Rider wrote: »

Also – this is Ireland. Since when does wearing gym gear mean you are going to the gym?

• Advertisement

Dawn Rider wrote: »

She should be putting on her suit and be out looking for a job.

Her Twitter describes her as:

30 year old single mother forced to raise my child in a cramped hotel room because of FG/lab/FF austerity.

anewme wrote: »

30 year old single mother forced to raise my daughter in a cramped hotel room because of FG/lab/FF austerity.

Earlier in thread someone said she was in a long term relationship with her partner. The definition of single mother seems to have gotten a bit skewed over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

enricoh wrote: »
    What's the market rate for a two bed apartment in clontarf 1400/1500? And its not good enough for her. If we all commuted longer ,worked harder n paid more taxes this woman could get exactly what she's after!

Based on the rental rule of spending no more than 33% of your take home salary on rent in order for it to be affordable and a rather average rent for the area of 1400, you'd need a net yearly income of €50400 to live in a 2 bed shoebox in clontarf.

That's a gross salary of €79100....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

30 year old single mother forced to raise my daughter in a cramped hotel room because of FG/lab/FF austerity.

No agenda there then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Earlier in thread someone said she was in a long term relationship with her partner. The definition of single mother seems to have gotten a bit skewed over time.

So there's a former partner (who owes his daughter some maintenance after all) and a current partner, and two offers of a place, but she's a homeless single mother... sure the system is to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Corkman16

We are paying taxes of over 50% of our incomes to keep her in the Hilton.

It has a gym, and it is probably too small for her.

The rooms in the hotel are not cramped, but a mother with a daughter should have jumped at a 2 bed apartment in Clontarf

30 year old single mother forced to raise her child in a cramped hotel room because of FG/lab/FF austerity.

This infuriated me too! Honestly, every time she was doing radio interviews etc the office would be praising her and I'd be so frustrated because these are well educated people who can't see past the sob story and take a step back and see that she has made herself a "victim", even the things she says about "the government", its always placing the blame on everybody else. As I was watching the programme I was thinking "if she put as much effort into finding a better job as she does phoning the council and writing to tds etc she wouldn't be in this situation". She is a "victim" by choice. And this just proves that beyond doubt. She is doing a disservice to actual victims of the recession and circumstance, families that for reasons actually beyond their control are out on the street with no support and no opportunities and they go about their day with dignity and aim to get themselves out of the situation they're in.

As has the definition of "homeless"

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Based on the rental rule of spending no more than 33% of your take home salary on rent in order for it to be affordable and a rather average rent for the area of 1400, you'd need a net yearly income of €50400 to live in a 2 bed shoebox in clontarf.

That's a gross salary of €79100....

I don't quite follow your point here?? Frightening figures though aren't they, I'm glad I'm not forking that over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

It all seems like a career move.If she becomes well known in the media she could end up being a spokeswoman for a homeless charity or an independent in the Dail. I think that could be her real agenda. She is using her "plight" to get on the airwaves and make her self a recognisable face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

There are questions around how the newspaper was allowed to see that DCC file on Erica Fleming. Surely there are issues with data protection?
    Well either way I'm delighted the information is in the public domain. Sick of chancers using social media to tear into companies and organisations with one-sided stories, knowing they can't defend themselves.

If a family has to live in a hotel room because of a lack of rented accommodation, that's a difficult situation and I wish them well, however I dislike the attitude that the local authority should be doing all the work - the person themselves should be looking for private accommodation also, and work if applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

Well either way I'm delighted the information is in the public domain. Sick of chancers using social media to tear into companies and organisations with one-sided stories, knowing they can't defend themselves.

If a family has to live in a hotel room because of a lack of rented accommodation, that's a difficult situation and I wish them well, however I dislike the attitude that the local authority should be doing all the work - the person themselves should be looking for private accommodation also, and work.

I think there are plenty of real struggling families out there who won't thank her for her actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Well it's high time Dublin county council stop paying her for her hotel room ,she's working has a car and yet she's living like lady muck in a hotel and now demanding social welfare make her eligible to attend her prestigious university while everyone else pays for her ,

Johngoose wrote: »
    It all seems like a career move.If she becomes well known in the media she could end up being a spokeswoman for a homeless charity or an independent in the Dail. I think that could be her real agenda. She is using her "plight" to get on the airwaves and make her self a recognisable face.

Sure every presenter and caller on radio shows etc has been telling her to go into politics. She hasn't a clue and is essentially defrauding the state yet people think she should be running the country, i remember someone told her there'd be no homeless crisis if she was in charge!! The ridiculous irony was lost on them.

• Advertisement

I think that Agends is now a bit Goosed John, pardon the pun!

wigsa100 wrote: »
    I don't quite follow your point here?? Frightening figures though aren't they, I'm glad I'm not forking that over.

There's a rental rule for determining how much of your net income you can afford to pay in rent.
    Basically it determines affordability
    In order for me to live in a 2 bed apartment in clontarf, according to the rule of not spending more than 33% of your net income on rent, I'd need a gross of 79000 plus
    ANd she has the cheek to not only reject it, but deprive her daughter of appropriate accommodation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Seriously, wtf is the point in working hard to pay rent when able bodied people who dont work are just being offered properties with deposits and rents paid by the state in nice areas on a whim.

I pay my own rent and then my tax is diverted to pay to keep the lazy being lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

There are questions around how the newspaper was allowed to see that DCC file on Erica Fleming. Surely there are issues with data protection?

Yeah, they're probably are, but that's the problem with this country......to much focus on what people are 'entitled to' and nothing on what their responsibilities are.

Personally, I think whoever leaked the info had done a public service and should be fully protected by the whistleblowing legislation, if at all possible.

As for the topic at hand, I'm absolutely fuming. I do some small amount of work for a charity who occasionally help out people who are homeless - I know no one we've worked with who wouldn't crawl through rivers of spit to get an apartment in Clontarf......hell, I'd love an apartment in that part of Dublin!!

If she isn't bounced to the bottom of the list to prevent her soaking up more time and precious resources that would be better spent on people who'd be much more appreciative and have greater needs, then we really are living in a banana republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

It is Dublin and Clontarf wouldn't be the cheapest anyway. Move out a bit towards Glasnevin or Finglas and it drops by about four grand a year. Galway or Cork for example are around the ten grand a year level for a two bed house.

It's still very expensive mind you, but to rent in Cork or Galway would (according to the 33% rule) require you to be earning about 30k net.

I'd say you're not wrong, except I'd say she's looking to take seat (McGrath's or Haughey's) in the Dail, probably for the Shinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Goes to show how social media is not a replacement for proper journalism or social activism, but a **** stirring machine for populist bulll crap.

I've done a good bit of work with a homeless charity over the past number of years. I'm disgusted by this but not surprised. The vast majority of cases are genuine but there are always a few dishonest scroungers. I had a feeling Erica was one of them for a while now so I'm kind of glad she's been exposed now. I realise there are issues with violation of data protection but that doesn't really bother me because it is an important exposure of the facts.

The last furore about BTEA was what began to irritate me. She broke the story as if she was entitled to receive the payment and that some cold hearted civil servant had stamped a big "DECLINED" on her application for no good reason. She would have known perfectly well that that she was never entitled to the payment, so going through the application process was purely an effort to get a headline. Then people have the audacity to demand that an exception to the rule be made for her, ignoring the tens of thousands who have had to go through the proper process or never got the chance to do so at all. Then tweeting a picture of the letter of refusal and tweeting "Thanks @JoanBurton for shattering my dreams" or some nonsense like that.

She was offered an apartment in a lovely part of Dublin with a cheque for rent of about 18,000 euro for the year, in addition to all the welfare assistance she gets already, which she turned down in favour of sharing a hotel room with her unfortunate daughter. That should say enough for everyone.

There is far too much cheerleading for scroungers in Ireland these days. When the lines get blurred between those who actually need help and those who want everything for free, it's the genuine cases that inevitably lose out. Particularly when one of the fraudsters is in national headlines every week. And make no mistake about it, this woman is a fraudster.

If she was willing to give up her job (in dublin) for college then she should be offered a house outside of Dublin and she can apply to the local IT for her access course. There is no need for her to be staying in Dublin, if she uses the excuse of family support then she should be staying with said supportive family, not in a hotel, and anyway she has a car so she can drive to them. There is absolutely no reason why she needs to go to Trinity, if she was doing a specialised subject that Trinity has the best amenities/services for, fair enough but she's not.

• Advertisement

It is Dublin and Clontarf wouldn't be the cheapest anyway. Move out a bit towards Glasnevin or Finglas and it drops by about four grand a year. Galway or Cork for example are around the ten grand a year level for a two bed house.

It's still very expensive mind you, but to rent in Cork or Galway would (according to the 33% rule) require you to be earning about 30k net.

It's not an actual rule though is it? I know plenty of people paying close to half their wages on rent in Dublin! As I said, glad it's not me that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Jawgap wrote: »
    If she isn't bounced to the bottom of the list to prevent her soaking up more time and precious resources that would be better spent on people who'd be much more appreciative and have greater needs, then we really are living in a banana republic.

So she can spend another few years living in a hotel free of charge while she contributes nothing .

She should be discharged from the list and made stand on her own two feet

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Living abroad at the moment so not familiar with the history of the story but I am curious as to what the basis is for her argument that she is entitled to a council house in the first instance? Where did she live before?

I am not familiar with what people on welfare (I assume she is on welfare?) are entitled to but is getting a council house not means tested? From what I read she has parents with space and also the ability to afford a car as well as having a partner and pretty soon she will have a trinity degree which should arguably give her the possibility of getting a decent job. Surely in a lot of respects she is no different from most other mature students?

Also, what happens when she graduates and gets a job? Will she still be eligible for a free house and will she still look for one?

I am not familiar with the access to Trinity programme, what is she studying and what are her realistic chances of getting a job from it?

Genuine questions from someone very out of the loop.

Gatling wrote: »
    So she can spend another few years living in a hotel free of charge while she contributes nothing .

She should be discharged from the list and made stand on her own two feet

The only thing about that is that it is likely her child would be the one to suffer as a result and her child is blameless in all of this.

Her attitude is just wrong full stop. Her bio on Twitter says an awful lot about her and it certainly doesn't give the impression that she takes any responsibility for her own life. This kind of stunt doesn't do the truly in need any good whatsoever. I don't know Clontarf but if it is upmarket as described then it seems unlikely the 2 bed apartment offered would be a flea pit and surely as she has a car she can move about to visit family and friends as needed. Many don't have a car to get around. I'm bewildered by her attitude to be honest. Wish someone would pay my mortgage for me and find me a new job but unfortunately that isn't going to happen so I have to just keep trucking on.

coL wrote: »
    Living abroad at the moment so not familiar with the history of the story but I am curious as to what the basis is for her argument that she is entitled to a council house in the first instance? Where did she live before?

I am not familiar with what people on welfare (I assume she is on welfare?) are entitled to but is getting a council house not means tested? From what I read she has parents with space and also the ability to afford a car as well as having a partner and pretty soon she will have a trinity degree which should arguably give her the possibility of getting a decent job. Surely in a lot of respects she is no different from most other mature students?

Also, what happens when she graduates and gets a job? Will she still be eligible for a free house and will she still look for one?

I am not familiar with the access to Trinity programme, what is she studying and what are her realistic chances of getting a job from it?

Genuine questions from someone very out of the loop.

I believe she hopes to study Politics and Social studies.

The presence of a partner wasn't mentioned before. She must have known that her real circumstances would come out into the public domain.

The only thing about that is that it is likely her child would be the one to suffer as a result and her child is blameless in all of this.

Her attitude is just wrong full stop. Her bio on Twitter says an awful lot about her and it certainly doesn't give the impression that she takes any responsibility for her own life. This kind of stunt doesn't do the truly in need any good whatsoever. I don't know Clontarf but if it is upmarket as described then it seems unlikely the 2 bed apartment offered would be a flea pit and surely as she has a car she can move about to visit family and friends as needed. Many don't have a car to get around. I'm bewildered by her attitude to be honest. Wish someone would pay my mortgage for me and find me a new job but unfortunately that isn't going to happen so I have to just keep trucking on.

If you are in Clontarf, you've ready access to decent public transport, including the DART, especially if are up towards the Killester end.

The really annoying thing about this is the damage she'll have done to the efforts to tackle homelessness in all its forms - a lot of people will now think that homeless people are like her, ungrateful, entitled and manipulative. The reality is anyone homeless or at risk of homelessness would jump at what she decided wasn't good enough for her.

I know separated fathers denied access to their kids because they lack proper dwellings who can only dream of getting such an offer - it would, literally, be life changing for them, but it's not good enough for her?

• Advertisement

I believe she hopes to study Politics and Social studies.

The presence of a partner wasn't mentioned before. She must have known that her real circumstances would come out into the public domain.

As far as I have understood it she hasn't been accepted onto a degree program at Trinity. I believe it is an Access Program which is one year. I don't know if it guarantees her a place on a degree afterwards but one would assume she would have to achieve some sort of threshold mark to be eligible for the degree course afterwards.

From the point of employability, apologies to all the Politics and Social studies grads out there, but wouldn't she have been better off looking into IT or pharma/medical devices areas where there are lots of jobs and lots of short conversion courses available? Just thinking out loud like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

I read this earlier today but am still annoyed by it.

To think I pay for my own rent in a location I can afford, I paid for my college education also not grant as my parent's income was just over the grand threshold, I don't have a golf, pay for my own gym member, pay for my own food, electricity, etc.

I'm beginning to wonder if I am a fool.

The entitlement culture that we appear to have built and even encouraged in Ireland needs to be eliminated. We have to make sure that we have a system that is there to assist people who need but it isn't more advantageous than working for a living.

It's not an actual rule though is it? I know plenty of people paying close to half their wages on rent in Dublin! As I said, glad it's not me that's for sure.

It's not a rule like you can't speed rule

However it is a way for finding out if what you want to pay in rent is affordable versus your income

So if I wanted to live in that apartment in clontarf, I'd need an income of 79100 for it to be deemed affordable

Jawgap wrote: »
    If you are in Clontarf, you've ready access to decent public transport, including the DART, especially if are up towards the Killester end.

The really annoying thing about this is the damage she'll have done to the efforts to tackle homelessness in all its forms - a lot of people will now think that homeless people are like her, ungrateful, entitled and manipulative. The reality is anyone homeless or at risk of homelessness would jump at what she decided wasn't good enough for her.

I know separated fathers denied access to their kids because they lack proper dwellings who can only dream of getting such an offer - it would, literally, be life changing for them, but it's not good enough for her?

Not from Dublin so a bit clueless about the public transport system limits but what you've described sounds like it would be an ideal place to live. Easily accessible by public transport and her car if need be.

If I were in her position I would be very frightened and worried about my future but then I am an anxious worrier at the best of times. I think I would be less bothered about Trinity and more bothered about trying to get some semblance of reality back into the life of my family. But that is just me I guess.

Not from Dublin so a bit clueless about the public transport system limits but what you've described sounds like it would be an ideal place to live. Easily accessible by public transport and her car if need be.

If I were in her position I would be very frightened and worried about my future but then I am an anxious worrier at the best of times. I think I would be less bothered about Trinity and more bothered about trying to get some semblance of reality back into the life of my family. But that is just me I guess.

An ideal place to live?? Yes. Think "leafy suburb"

Personally, I'd take your arm off if you had offered me an apartment there when I was in my 20s/30s......

.......actually, I'd take your arm off if you offered me one now!!

My kids are in uni - it's 2 buses and a 90 minute trip for them to get there.......can't help feeling I let them down by working and buying a house. If we were in Clontarf, it'd be one bus and 20 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement