Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeless campaigner is a fraud. Mod Note #1835

1464748495052»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yes, to anyone with even an ounce of empathy or common sense, it is obvious that the effects of having to live in a hotel room due to homelessness may very well have a lasting traumatic effect on children. But carry on being angry at the world, and more specifically children having to live in hotel rooms with their families. It's fascinating.

We lived in a tatched house with no bathroom and a leaky roof as kids in the 1970s for nearly 2 years while our new new house was being built, our situation was nothing special and we adapted to the situation we found ourselves in.
    I was by no means "traumatized" by it so I doubt some kid in a warm 4 star hotel is going to be.

Paid for by long hours of hard work by the old man I might add because we were raised with a strong work ethic that you make your own way in life and don't sit back and expect the Government to spoon feed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 aivilo

Yes, to anyone with even an ounce of empathy or common sense, it is obvious that the effects of having to live in a hotel room due to homelessness may very well have a lasting traumatic effect on children. But carry on being angry at the world, and more specifically children having to live in hotel rooms with their families. It's fascinating.

But you see in this particular case (and many many others) they aren’t even living in the hotels . They just say they are to get pushed up the list.

It’s fraud.

I feel so sorry for the actual real homeless out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

aivilo wrote: »
    Google it. It was on RTE nor very hard to find

Her Instagram account is now deleted surprise surprise

All I see are articles quoting that she's getting kicked out of the Gresham. What am I missing?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It was Churchill who coined the phrase- 'lies, lies and damned statistics'.........

No he didn't. And the quote is "Lies, damned lies and statistics."

*Monocle adjusted*

There is a lot of hatred here for fraudsters and I totally understand it and do not disagree with it.

But.... lets not take our eye off the real problem in Ireland. The price of accomodation, either rented or for sale is TOO HIGH and there is a serious shortage of rental accomodation.

For fun Iv just looked on Daft.ie for houses to rent in Tallaght, a very ordinary area, population 76k according to wikipedia, there are only four houses on there to rent and they cost about 2 grand a month each. Theres a few apartments and they're about 1500 each per month.

I would hate to be a young couple in ordinary jobs with a kid or two trying to rent a house and scrape together a deposit to buy a house. It must be almost impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I would hate to be a young couple in ordinary jobs with a kid or two trying to rent a house and scrape together a deposit to buy a house. It must be almost impossible.

And then, if you need to vacate the house you'll most likely struggle to find somewhere where the landlords is willing to rent to a family with children, especially within a certain budget.
    Or one partner suddenly loses the job and one salary wouldn't do.

You can find yourself homeless easily these days when your life is bound to the city because of work or childcare arrangements.
    These chancers after all are just whirling up dust to hide the real problem here.
    They are an utter disgrace but for every chancer you have a lot more genuine cases of struggle.

Outside of Dublin it's a piece of piss. Especially with two incomes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Outside of Dublin it's a piece of piss. Especially with two incomes.

The demand in commutable areas outside of Dublin still exceeds the supply by far.
    Plus there is a real unwillingness to take on tenants that have a family because children cause more wear and tear and when there is a shortage, the landlord gets to be picky.

LirW wrote: »
    The demand in commutable areas outside of Dublin still exceeds the supply by far.
    Plus there is a real unwillingness to take on tenants that have a family because children cause more wear and tear and when there is a shortage, the landlord gets to be picky.

Depends on what's "commutable".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't you see? You don't matter. The ability of ordinary middle of the road workers to find a reasonable home is not a priority - no one can start a charity for that. It's not a sexy story. Middle income mmillennials (born 1980 - 2000) will be the engine room of the economy for the next 40 odd years and no one gives a flying fook that huge amounts of them have precious little access to secure and reasonable rental accommodation let alone being able to buy. This generation has been thrown under the bus and with it the wider society. THIS is the housing crisis.

100% on this.

But these people who are contributing, making Ireland into an economy again, pushing it forward in the world, are being gazumped by the entitled, the ones who want a house where they decide they want one, and many of these have never contributed much in tax, and never will.

This is indeed a very sad fact.

But the middle income people rarely shout the loudest. They are too busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

This really pissed me off. 
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/former-homeless-apollo-house-residents-secure-home-1.3355298

They come over here very recently with 3 grand (SFA), no job and he doesn't even speak english. Now they have been feted by the Apollo House crowd as heroes. He's picked up what seems like pity work which must be unpaid because they are costing the state 1300 per month in HAP payments. This is madness that again the average chump that can't rent a box room for less than 800 quid has to pay there way as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/former-homeless-apollo-house-residents-secure-home-1.3355298

They come over here very recently with 3 grand (SFA), no job and he doesn't even speak english. Now they have been feted by the Apollo House crowd as heroes. He's picked up what seems like pity work which must be unpaid because they are costing the state 1300 per month in HAP payments. This is madness that again the average chump that can't rent a box room for less than 800 quid has to pay there way as well.

They were naive but they do seem to be getting their act together.
    The manner in which they are leveraging the opportunity being given to them- to better themselves- is what others should be forced to do.
    I don't feel that the Irish taxpayer should be giving them a dig-out- but I do think that they recognise that they have a one off opportunity to better themselves- and are grasping it with both arms- and one has to applaud them for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

In honesty they are not a huge problem because at least there is evidence of activity on their parts in terms of trying to improve their situation and find work and do something with their lives (which is likely why they were used as the poster children for Apollo House, rather than Noel the heroin addict who has never worked, or Nikita the 21 year old who has been 3 years waiting for a house and has also never worked).

The issue isn't with the provision of supports, the issue is with targeting. People who are actively doing something to improve their situation be it part-time work or internship or training or structured volunteering or education (or genuinely cannot work due to disability etc) should be supported and far more than they are - I would have no problem with using my taxes to incentivize and reward activity in this regard, because it gives people a bit of pride back and helps them get out of State dependency.

What I am not up for heavily subsidizing is those who have no interest in doing anything. They should be given a simple choice - work, intern, volunteer, train or be educated for more than they are currently getting in cash and be prioritized when it comes to accommodation choices, or fail to do so and get less than they are currently getting in food stamps (that cannot be used on alcohol, lottery tickets or smokes) and rent arrangements directly between the State and the Landlord wherever is available. Time to decide whether to be an independent adult, or be a child forever. Adults get more choices than children.

Advertisement