Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How the lucky few get to choose where to live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Looks like Ms Fleming was telling porkie pies to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

Really? the woman states she's looking for security for her and her child,is that a crime now
    your comment about the lucky few getting to choose where they live must be tough to read from your prison cell (you must be in one,how come you can't choose and its only a few)

the indo says even a place in an affluent suburb,its like she should be grateful for the crumbs..

this smells of a person having balls to stand up and get her voice heard ,but the weight of politics are gunning for her..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Skyfarm wrote: »
    Really? the woman states she's looking for security for her and her child,is that a crime now
    your comment about the lucky few getting to choose where they live must be tough to read from your prison cell (you must be in one,how come you can't choose and its only a few)

the indo says even a place in an affluent suburb,its like she should be grateful for the crumbs..

this smells of a person having balls to stand up and get her voice heard ,but the weight of politics are gunning for her..

Er if she is looking for a free house she should be grateful yes, unfortunately free houses tend to be in areas with more crime it kind of works like that

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

Cyrus wrote: »
    Er if she is looking for a free house she should be grateful yes, unfortunately free houses tend to be in areas with more crime it kind of works like that

define free? she will have to pay rent in line with income

as a worker going to college she will be paying tax etc etc

define free? she will have to pay rent in line with income

as a worker going to college she will be paying tax etc etc

Rent in line with her income is subsidised rent, she isn't in a position to pick and choose, what if she stops working what happens then?

Also how do you know she is paying tax how much is she earning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭onform

Her behaviour (If she did in fact refuse 2 offers of housing under HAP) damages any public sympathy for people in a similar situation. There's another thread over in AH, that is a point of view a few people have expressed.

Expecting plenty of newly registered boards users setting out a defense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What parent doesnt want security for their kids . Its a very easy emotional thing to say, people just fall for that. Welfare housing is just that,housing give for free to people largely who dont work. Ask a worker how they feel about giving their taxes to this... i.e. One month per year of their working life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

She turned down a place in Clontarf! It's hardly a well known ghetto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

These smell like the words of a person who signed up to boards in the last couple of hours to defend someone they know personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭onform

I'm sure they are very sensible,but i choose not to answer nor engage with you,its called choice..

Hardly worthwhile choosing to create a new boards user ID only to concede so easily? Besides, it's a public forum you're not engaging one person.

• Advertisement

I'm sure they are very sensible,but i choose not to answer nor engage with you,its called choice..

I don't see you sticking around very long somehow

You came on to defend a friend but most tax payers don't have much sympathy for her behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

If the article is correct, it really shows what is wrong with society.

While I sympathise with anyone who finds themselves homeless, if you are availing of a free house or a house with heavily subsidised rent, you should accept what you are being given.

If you want to chose where you live, then work your ass off like the rest of us.

Admirable that she's going to college with a view of bettering herself - perhaps she can be selective about the house she can afford when she finds a job post degree.

Until sacrifices have to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Refusals?!?!?!

AGAIN?!?!?

in an article on the INDO!?!?!? THAT RAG!!!! AGAIN!!!!

Build some fecking houses and apartments and then talk to us about refusals!!!
    Slydice wrote: »
    What a mixed up article he wrote. He seems to be having trouble with his own numbers:
    "2,000 offers of social housing turned down"
    "More than 2,000 offers"
    "1,990 refusals of an offer of social housing"

I don't think he's keeping his eye on the ball there with looking at refusals. The other number in his own article is SO HUGE:
    "130,000 are on social housing waiting lists"

Let's stick in the number of Public and Private accomodation FROM 2013 AND 2014 onto a bar chart:
    367522.png

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- as I honestly don't believe its possible to hold a logical, coherent and civil debate on the topic on hand in this forum- I am closing the thread.

There is a related thread over in After Hours here if anyone would like to contribute their thoughts.

Kindly ensure you familiarise yourself and comply with the forum charter in After Hours before posting..........

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement