Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance / Driving licence in post

Options
  • 21-08-2016 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi I have applied for my learner permit renewal which will take a week or two to arrive in post, however I'm just wondering can I still get car insurance (even temporary) while I'm waiting for the license, I have driving for few years and have been with same broker but I went off the road as I couldn't afford to drive due to not working at the time, I have a quote but it states that I must provide a copy of my new permit and all I have right now is a receipt, does anybody know (or have had experience) if insurance companies would provide temporary insurance or will I have to bring in copy of permit before I can get the actual insurance? I suppose it is probably the latter but no harm in asking anyway :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

I was in the same boat as you but mine was for motorbikes so should be fairly similar . AFAIK you can take out a policy no problem , but it doesnt become valid untill you forward them whatever they ask for ( permit , NCB , Lessons etc)

If i was you id wait for the permit to arrive OP so there will be no problems :) shoudnt take too long ( about 6-7 working days ) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

pudzey101 wrote: »
    I was in the same boat as you but mine was for motorbikes so should be fairly similar . AFAIK you can take out a policy no problem , but it doesnt become valid untill you forward them whatever they ask for ( permit , NCB , Lessons etc)

If i was you id wait for the permit to arrive OP so there will be no problems :) shoudnt take too long ( about 6-7 working days ) :)

The policy will be cancelled if one cannot produce the required documentation - and that's what I would call "being in a deep s...t".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,411 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

.... does anybody know (or have had experience) if insurance companies would provide temporary insurance or will I have to bring in copy of permit before I can get the actual insurance? I suppose it is probably the latter but no harm in asking anyway :-)

They might agree to insure you for 7 or 14 days pending production of the required documents but they won't give you the cert and windscreen disc until you do which means you'll be a sitting duck for a Garda checkpoint and you're also at risk of getting a ticket from a traffic warden for non-display of a valid insurance disc if you park on a public street. It's not worth the hassle, wait until you have the permit and get the documents sorted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 missblondie89

Hi thanks for the info, I did not need my license there and then just the receipt as it was a renewal, will need to photocopy license when I get it in post and send it to insurance

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

You really need to ask your insurance company because they can vary.
    I'd say most would cover you and give you a time frame to get your licence details.

How come a learner's permit needs to be renewed? I think you should take your driving test. You'll be grand!

Edit: oopsy.. thread is a week old.. my bad! lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement