Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Room to Improve

• 21-08-2016 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dermot-bannon-room-to-improve-and-the-100000-court-case-34978933.html

I have watched this program a number of times and he is always making mistakes. For a man who is a professional that you hire for his expertise he seems to make some amateur mistakes. Getting measurements wrong is so basic, I watched him once give out about a window frame size which was ridiculous because he had never specified the frame size. He designed somebody living room and left nowhere for their TV. A partial wall was built and he suddenly realises it will block out the light. Most times he hasn't completed the drawings causing delays.

It is odd that he wants people to see how bad he is at his job.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That Eastenders has gone down hill too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I have to say I wouldn't let the guy anywhere near my house. I find his designs unimaginative, he sticks a box to the side of someone's house and throws a strop if the owners don't agree with him.

I'd love to know more details about this case, none of the articles detail what went wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

He obviously has room to improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The thing he tacked on to that woman's house was hideous. In itself it was quite nice, but tacked onto the back of an average semi-d, it looked ludicrous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

The thing he tacked on to that woman's house was hideous. In itself it was quite nice, but tacked onto the back of an average semi-d, it looked ludicrous.

Maybe, but that's purely subjective. The householder would have a very good idea of how it's going to turn out from the drawings, so they can't just decide that it is ludicrous after it gets belt.

For me, he's a decent designer, but a crap project manager. There is always something that goes wrong in the build that (in general) could have been avoided with better attention to detail. The TV cameras love a bit of drama, but it is really not helpful for the industry.

• Advertisement

Maybe, but that's purely subjective. The householder would have a very good idea of how it's going to turn out from the drawings, so they can't just decide that it is ludicrous after it gets belt.

For me, he's a decent designer, but a crap project manager. There is always something that goes wrong in the build that (in general) could have been avoided with better attention to detail. The TV cameras love a bit of drama, but it is really not helpful for the industry.
    It wasn't the design that brought about that court case, but the construction. There are no details, but remedial works had to be carried out which implies that there were issues with the build quality.

I was just giving a subjective opinion. I thought it was pretty hideous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

It wasn't the design that brought about that court case, but the construction. There are no details, but remedial works had to be carried out which implies that there were issues with the build quality

This. Not liking the design after it's built despite having been given plenty of drawings and 3D models wouldn't get with a mile of a courtroom. Remedial works means that stuff had to be fixed. As an example, incorrectly detailed flashing could cause significant leaks. All the finishes might need to be pulled out to fix the problem and then the finishes reinstated. Can easily run to six figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I've read about the case a few times maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick but from what I can gather is that the three parties the architect, builder and production company lodged 100k€ in February and this was taken as a settlement
    That's some amount of remedial work on a 100k job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

He obviously has room to improve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Turtle_ wrote: »
    This. Not liking the design after it's built despite having been given plenty of drawings and 3D models wouldn't get with a mile of a courtroom. Remedial works means that stuff had to be fixed. As an example, incorrectly detailed flashing could cause significant leaks. All the finishes might need to be pulled out to fix the problem and then the finishes reinstated. Can easily run to six figures.

He admitted he got the measurements wrong on the show. He didn't design it correctly that caused it to be built in a manner that needed to be fixed.

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    He admitted he got the measurements wrong on the show. He didn't design it correctly that caused it to be built in a manner that needed to be fixed.
    He must never have heard the old adage: Measure it twice and cut it once. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Big windows,white walls.Every job he does could be transplanted onto each other without anybody noticing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What were the remedial works that needed doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I don't understand the issue people have with the designs all being 'the same', that is the style at the moment. Same way he seems to be improving houses which all originally looked 'the same' low ceilings, loads of small separate rooms with no light, kitchen hidden away in the back of the house.. that's how houses were designed then.. and at the moment houses are designed being more open plan, with big windows, facing backwards into a private garden with big sliding doors.

I'd like to live in nearly any of the houses that have been on the program..

They always put in the moment of him making a mistake in the show, it's in every episode. It's just to try keep it interesting. That's how real projects are, except the project manager will have that sorted out without the big grief they play up in the show. You can never translate a paper drawing to the real world without a few problems showing up. How many times have the 'problems' ever amounted to more than 2 minutes of screen time and a mention in their final speech about 'having issues but it working out smoothly in the end'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I don't understand the issue people have with the designs all being 'the same', that is the style at the moment. Same way he seems to be improving houses which all originally looked 'the same' low ceilings, loads of small separate rooms with no light, kitchen hidden away in the back of the house.. that's how houses were designed then.. and at the moment houses are designed being more open plan, with big windows, facing backwards into a private garden with big sliding doors.

I'd like to live in nearly any of the houses that have been on the program..

They always put in the moment of him making a mistake in the show, it's in every episode. It's just to try keep it interesting. That's how real projects are, except the project manager will have that sorted out without the big grief they play up in the show. You can never translate a paper drawing to the real world without a few problems showing up. How many times have the 'problems' ever amounted to more than 2 minutes of screen time and a mention in their final speech about 'having issues but it working out smoothly in the end'

At least they every episode doesn't have a pregnant lady living in a caravan,unlike a certain Channel 4 programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Mod: Moving this to the TV forum, please read their charter before continuing the conversion.

Edit: conversation, not conversion. Freudian slip there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Watched this episode recently, where his instincts on how best to redesign a bayside house in Baldoyle were bang on & the results were hugely impressive.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/roomtoimprove/baldoyle.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Watched this episode recently, where his instincts on how best to redesign a bayside house in Baldoyle were bang on & the results were hugely impressive.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/roomtoimprove/baldoyle.html

He had to have a partial wall changed because he didn't think of it. He also failed to give the drawings to the builder on time. The suggestion this is added to add drama is a bit strange because I certainly wouldn't want my professional reputation dragged through the mud for a bit of extra entertainment. The clients are often shouted down too. He just seems bad at his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

He had to have a partial wall changed because he didn't think of it. He also failed to give the drawings to the builder on time. The suggestion this is added to add drama is a bit strange because I certainly wouldn't want my professional reputation dragged through the mud for a bit of extra entertainment. The clients are often shouted down too. He just seems bad at his job.

Being on TV is better for his reputation, he comes across as a bit quirky and hard to work with along the way but in the end they're always happy with the results.. if anything it would help him have people trust his vision along the way.

Of course the mistakes are played up for TV. They always happen right before an ad break.

The builders not getting the drawings happens in nearly every episode so they must feel like that's an easy way to add a bit of tension. It always ends up making the builders look good because they do an extra 900 euro worth of work for 'free' on a 150k build while they're getting a great ad.

It's not a documentary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Being on TV is better for his reputation, he comes across as a bit quirky and hard to work with along the way but in the end they're always happy with the results.. if anything it would help him have people trust his vision along the way.

Of course the mistakes are played up for TV. They always happen right before an ad break.

The builders not getting the drawings happens in nearly every episode so they must feel like that's an easy way to add a bit of tension. It always ends up making the builders look good because they do an extra 900 euro worth of work for 'free' on a 150k build while they're getting a great ad.

It's not a documentary...

Unfortunately "Ron Swanson house improving program" wouldn't get much ratings, though I'd watch it.

Reality TV is all about the contrived drama, they will re-shoot the problems that occur to make them seem much bigger than they are, asking the builder and Dermot to exaggerate the problem as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

He's an entertainer, a showman. It's obvious the arguing and powerplay is contrived and the strong disagreements are for effect. Do you really think he goes around like that with his mickey mouse arguing style and dramatic stances to serious developers? The people coming on the show are hustled into it, there is the appeal to authority that he has and they are also nervous being on tv and before they know it they have the most ridiculous/pointless things done to their house.

I think he's also conflicted since he's always wanting to get the clients to spend as much money as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Saw a bit of the programme today Sun. 22/1 on the telly. They were renovating a charming "cottage" and trying to keep its "traditional features".

The "cottage" looked to me to be a "bungalow" from the fifties to the seventies of the last century - curvy tiles on the roof, narrow chimney stack, wide windows etc.

The kitchen had only been modernised a number of years ago but had to be ripped out.

At the end, we saw a building that looked just like a trendy architect designed rural new-build. I didn't notice any traditional features, whether of a rural cottage or a mid-century bungalow.

I admit I didn't see most of the programme, so maybe I missed something significant.

I'll try and get it on the RTE player, but I doubt if I'll be very impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

She sounds like she's from Cavan alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I see Dermot is being earmarked to tour USA next year, commenting on their architecture.
    I cannot imagine anything more boring.
    They are looking for somebody "funny and/or interesting that will have some Chemistry with Dermot"
    That must be a short list but i still think it would be an absolute waste of money. Could you imagine him commenting on anyone elses architecture?
    I do not mind him, he would not be my favourite person, but who are these people that could not find somebody better than him for these programmes?
    I can not understand why TV3 (or UTV) have not cashed in on a similar show where they use multiple architects and maybe allow the home owner to choose one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Suckit wrote: »
    I see Dermot is being earmarked to tour USA next year, commenting on their architecture.
    They are looking for somebody "funny and/or interesting that will have some Chemistry with Dermot"
    That must be a short list but i still think it would be an absolute waste of money. Could you imagine him commenting on anyone elses architecture?
    I do not mind him, he would not be my favourite person, but who are these people that could not find somebody better than him for these programmes?
    I can not understand why TV3 (or UTV) have not cashed in on a similar show where they use multiple architects and maybe allow the home owner to choose one.

I will always remember Dermot Bannon for bringing grey windows to Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Suckit wrote: »

You would think contintental Europe would be the place for him to go. Not very much at all in US residential architectural design stands out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

You would think contintental Europe would be the place for him to go. Not very much at all in US residential architectural design stands out.
    I do not believe he would be qualified enough to comment on European architecture.
    U.S. - He may believe he could slate some designs and get away with it.

Edited
    Do not get me wrong ;), (they are sending everyone away on free/paid holidays these days - Mickey flanagan, Brydon and Coogan, O'Brien and the long haired guy etc.)
    But i do not think that he would be particularly good to watch traveling anywhere, even with a good comedian.
    I think that the idea of sending him away to comment on buildings in America, is bad.
    It would also leave his 'designs' very much open to critics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dermot-bannon-room-to-improve-and-the-100000-court-case-34978933.html

I have watched this program a number of times and he is always making mistakes. For a man who is a professional that you hire for his expertise he seems to make some amateur mistakes. Getting measurements wrong is so basic, I watched him once give out about a window frame size which was ridiculous because he had never specified the frame size. He designed somebody living room and left nowhere for their TV. A partial wall was built and he suddenly realises it will block out the light. Most times he hasn't completed the drawings causing delays.

It is odd that he wants people to see how bad he is at his job.
    Stop but picking,he's human

pauliebdub wrote: »
    I have to say I wouldn't let the guy anywhere near my house. I find his designs unimaginative, he sticks a box to the side of someone's house and throws a strop if the owners don't agree with him.

I'd love to know more details about this case, none of the articles detail what went wrong.
    Guys,it's tv

• Advertisement

He's an entertainer, a showman. It's obvious the arguing and powerplay is contrived and the strong disagreements are for effect. Do you really think he goes around like that with his mickey mouse arguing style and dramatic stances to serious developers? The people coming on the show are hustled into it, there is the appeal to authority that he has and they are also nervous being on tv and before they know it they have the most ridiculous/pointless things done to their house.

I think he's also conflicted since he's always wanting to get the clients to spend as much money as possible.
    Well said,,,, point is,,it's entertainment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

As sweeping statements go, that's gotta be up there.

Yamanoto wrote: »

As sweeping statements go, that's gotta be up there.
    Yep, wow, so perceptive,,say you were saving that statement up.

Advertisement