Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to work after several years - Childcare Options ?

Options
  • 21-08-2016 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

I am hoping to return to the work-force during the coming school year. I have been a SAHM since our youngest was 1.

We have 2 kids aged 10 & 7. Both at Primary School. They will get the School Bus this year for the first time. I will drop them to the Bus @ 8am.

I will need After-School Care up to 4 afternoons a week from 3.15pm (3 days) and 2.30pm (1 day). The kids would need to be collected from the school unless the Childcare was on the existing Bus route home. I would hope to collect them by 6.30pm. I will also need full day cover during School Holidays etc.

We have no family living near us at all. My Husband commutes to Dublin and will not be in a position to help with Pick-ups from Childcare etc.

Due to the kids dietary requirements I would provide all food.

Which would be better for our circumstances - a Childminder or a Creche-style After-School place ?

We would rather not get someone into our own house as we do not wish to become Employers with all that entails.

All advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Hi was recently talking to a girl in work about creche and stuff she has two kids , she hired a au pair off some Irish website 100 Euro a week full time 8-6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thanks, Celligraphy.

We have ruled out having an Au-Pair for a few different reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Where are you based OP. I know some crèches do aftercare including school pick ups. Narnia is one but I think they might close at 6. So uou could have a look at a few different crèches in your area. Also I know some childminders do school pickups followed by minding in their own home. You could put an advert on rollercoaster and schoolsdays with your requirements and you might find something. Those websites also advertise childminders so you might find someone there that fits the bill. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Hi was recently talking to a girl in work about creche and stuff she has two kids , she hired a au pair off some Irish website 100 Euro a week full time 8-6

Are you serious? Is that five days a week? She didn't hire an au pair. Au pairs do not work "full time". They help out a few hours a day and integrate with the family to learn the language and some go to classes. By the sounds of it your work colleague hired a live in nanny who she pays €100 for fifty hours a week if full time means five days. That's disgusting.
    Sorry for going off topic! That kind of carry on boils blood, obviously not having a go at you celligraphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

She hired a slave, more like. Unbelievable that this goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

cant26 wrote: »
    Are you serious? Is that five days a week? She didn't hire an au pair. Au pairs do not work "full time". They help out a few hours a day and integrate with the family to learn the language and some go to classes. By the sounds of it your work colleague hired a live in nanny who she pays €100 for fifty hours a week if full time means five days. That's disgusting.
    Sorry for going off topic! That kind of carry on boils blood, obviously not having a go at you celligraphy.

Me too. That works out at €2 an hour!
    Complete misuse of the au pair ethos and system if that is the case. Reeks of advantage being taken of some poor young girl that doesn't know any better.

OP I would recommend an after school childminder. Ask around the school for recommendations. I think a home setting would be more suited to your personal needs than a crèche setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Ask around and see if there are any parents in the school that might be interested in a few hours after school care? If they lived along the bus route it would be even handier. You wouldn't need to factor in petrol costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

I didn't even actually think about that , only after this was mentioned I was kinda thinking maybe that's a bit weird alright wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Have you contacted Childminding Ireland?

They have a register of childminders who you could contact to see if they have any availability for your children.

www.childminding.ie

That poor girl working full-time for €100 is being treated like a slave. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

For that age children I'd rule out crèches. They hate it (my two that age have just finished up in one) am on mat leave now & not sure what I'll do afterwards thinking of taki g few years out. I think the older they get the more they just want to be at home or do after school activities etc. If I go back I'd get someone into the house. Kids can come home & would get her to supervise homework & get dinner on for when we all get home - that would be my ideal anyway - I wouldn't like an au pair either. Otherwise ask around there might be a sahm on your bus route who'd b happy with few pounds. If I become an sahm it's something I'd consider!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.

I am thinking Childminder is the way to go. However, as we do not wish to become Employers and register with Revenue and all which becoming an Employer would entail we have ruled out having a Childminder or even Au Pair (due to the WRC ruling last year) in our own home.

I have been a SAHM since the kids started school so they have only ever known me collecting them and bringing them home, giving them their dinner and bringing them to after-school activities etc. It will be a massive adjustment for them.

Can anyone give me tips on how to deal with a potential Childminder ? What would be important questions to ask ? Also how does Payment work ? We will need someone who will be able to provide cover during School Holidays too.

All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

A childminder is self employed, they care for children in their home and they tell you how much they charge. A nanny would be someone who cares for your children in your own home and you would be their employer. Just to clarify the terminology for you. Best of luck with the search.

So with a Childminder do I pay them all year around including when they take Holidays and when we take our Holidays ? I have been told that the going rate for 2 kids After-School only is €10 per hour for both kids. So for my needs it would be approx €160 per week (using 4 hours x 4 days).

Sorry for all the questions but am new to this and very apprehensive about this aspect of returning to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

SusanC10 wrote: »
    So with a Childminder do I pay them all year around including when they take Holidays and when we take our Holidays ? I have been told that the going rate for 2 kids After-School only is €10 per hour for both kids. So for my needs it would be approx €160 per week (using 4 hours).

Sorry for all the questions but am new to this and very apprehensive about this aspect of returning to work.

Those prices sound about right to me. Childminders working in their own homes are self-employed and set their own terms and conditions with regards to holiday pay etc so what one minder does might be different to another one.

Most minders I know don't charge for when they take their own holidays but they would charge for parents taking holidays or if children are sick as they are available to mind if you get me?

You should check out childminding.ie, they have a parents section with lots of FAQs you might find helpful. They also have a list of registered childminders you can search by area and you can get in touch with them then and ask around about their prices and holiday and illness policies etc.

Thanks to all for the replies.

I have now had a look at Childminding.ie which has a lot of info so Thanks to those who suggested this site.

I think what I will do is when School starts back next week - make an effort to talk to the parents I know who do use Childminders and see how things work around here. And also for recommendations.

I won't be actively looking until I actually get a job but I just don't want to be totally in the dark or on the back foot if I do get a job.

Thanks all !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Depending on location you maybe able to negotiate holidays etc. My childminder doesn't get paid if he's not there because I'm a teacher and she has her own kids when school is off so is happy with the arrangement

Advertisement