Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB not turning on electricity in new rental

Options
  • 21-08-2016 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Not sure if anyone can offer me any advice but worth a try! Have paid a deposit and 1 month rent in a rental property, however the electricity has still not been turned on two weeks later. Landlord has said she has been hassling esb to switch on the electricity, which has been turned off for approximately 2 years as a result of apartment being unocupied. Anyone have any idea if it is possible to speed this up or how much longer it can continue, patience running low any advice greatly accepted! ☺

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LD89

afaik if the electricity supply has been turned off for such a length of time to a property then a registered electrician needs to test the wiring/sockets and then sign off on it before ESB will turn it back on. if this hasn't happened yet this may be why there is such a delay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why is this going through the LL. Are you not dealing with the ESB directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

tictac__x wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone can offer me any advice but worth a try! Have paid a deposit and 1 month rent in a rental property, however the electricity has still not been turned on two weeks later. Landlord has said she has been hassling esb to switch on the electricity, which has been turned off for approximately 2 years as a result of apartment being unocupied. Anyone have any idea if it is possible to speed this up or how much longer it can continue, patience running low any advice greatly accepted! ☺

Had to do this last year, as it's been two years you are treated as a new connection.

This requires an electrician to certify that the wiring is sound and then a visit from the esb to see what is required to reconnect then you pay whatever the esb deem is necessary and then they return to switch the power on.

This took about 8 weeks and all that was required was the flick of a switch!

The most frustrating part was the payment had to be made with a bank draft and sent by post!

The forms are on the esb website .

• Registered Users Posts: 26 missblondie89

The landlord needs to get an electrician to check the wiring, he then needs to send in a cert to Esb networks to say the electrics are okay as property is disconnected over 2 years, really depends on when your landlord gets the electrician out as once the cert is sent in it can take 2-3 working days to get reconnected by Esb, I used to work in Electric Ireland hope you get reconnected soon ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

The landlord needs to get an electrician to check the wiring, he then needs to send in a cert to Esb networks to say the electrics are okay as property is disconnected over 2 years, really depends on when your landlord gets the electrician out as once the cert is sent in it can take 2-3 working days to get reconnected by Esb, I used to work in Electric Ireland hope you get reconnected soon ☺

It takes a lot longer than that.

The cert from the electrician only confirms that inside the wiring is sound. An esb engineer still has to assess what is required and then a quote is sent out for the reconnection . Once this payment is processed then the engineer calls back to reconnect.

For me this process took at least a month and possibly 8 weeks can't remember exactly. Depends on how busy the esb is with new connections in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

Thank you for all your replies, the electricians report was submitted last week. Very frustrating waiting for it to be turned on, hopefully not long more! Thank you again for the helpful replies 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I hope the landlord is giving you a huge discount if you're living there with no electricity. I'm not sure it's legal to let a property with no electricity supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

If this drags on for any longer, you'd want to get onto Threshold and the PRTB. You cannot rent a place without basic facilities and this isn't a 'fault'. The service isn't setup.

Advertisement