Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting crime in the city centre

Options
  • 21-08-2016 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for some opinions.

Live in the north inner city. There is a lot of stuff that goes on around my apartment that would be illegal in the strictest sense. Usually I just ignore it. However, when I see something that is a danger to a person or their property I've rang the gards.

In fairness to the gards, they usually show up. On average it's 15mins after I call them. At this point, whatever was going on is usually finished up.

My question is to anyone else who lives in the city centre, is there any point in ringing them in the first place? I'm not bashing them as I know they are busy and I always ring store street as it's never a 112 situation in my opinion. For example, last night I was woken up by a fella getting a terrible kicking. Rang the gards just incase he was left there and needed attention.

Is it just part of living in the city centre? Should I just not bother?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

The UK has a 666 number for anti-social behaviour. I think this would be helpful to deal with lower-level crime. I don't like ringing for something that's not grave.

I live in the South Inner City and rang once when I saw two men attach another guy with a hammer. Nothing bad happened in the end, but it could have got nasty. All credit to the guards there was a tonne of them down within minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could always ring the local station directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

spurious wrote: »
    You could always ring the local station directly.

That's what I do. Ring Store street.

I'm just wondering if I'm wasting everyones time!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

Well you cannot just ignore it, especially if there might be someone left bleeding to death. Ring them up that's what they are there for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

That's what I do. Ring Store street.

I'm just wondering if I'm wasting everyones time!

Snitchs get stiches....

Ha but in all seriousness. If they are showing up. It means there's a presence . people see it's not a place to do business perhaps they get the message and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Ringing the local station will get lower priority than a 999 call as it isn't logged, if someone is getting assaulted then 999 is appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

In the case of a serious assault I'd be ringing the emergency number.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Is it just part of living in the city centre? Should I just not bother?

No, it's not just a part that should be ignored. Please keep reporting it.

I used to live in town, and they used to deal their crap just outside my gate, literally. I wrote to the local superintendent, deliverered the letter in person to the station, called the station every single time. The problem was resolved.

Too many people just accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Oink wrote: »
    Please keep reporting it.

Someone called 'Oink' advocating the reporting of crime... undercover cop alert!!

(joke) :D

I vote for reporting it too. I've reported various things like open drug dealing and injecting in the streets, bicycle theft, and the occasional violent incident. I've had very mixed response/reception from the Garda who answered the phone, including one violent incident where they literally never showed up, even after three calls to a nearby station. I'll know next time to call 999 for any violent incident in progress.

I'm never sure if my calls end up recorded or filed anywhere, and tend to assume nothing was done, but I feel like I'm doing my bit in some way and at least raising some awareness of what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If it just screaming and shouting I would ring the local station, but would use the emergency number if I see violence. Thankfully only had to do that once or twice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement