Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video card died .. suitable replacement? (resolved)

Options
  • 21-08-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Seeking advice/reassurance on getting replacement video card.

My Sapphire R9 270 died a few days ago when the PC went into sleep / shut-down mode. Did have some trouble for several months - video card failing to "wake up" from sleep mode (not all the time). Usually have to unplug the PC power cable, hold the power button on for a few moments, then plug the power cable back in). This trick failed to "wake up" the card ...

So, I've been looking around for a replacement video card and am looking at the RX 260 and RX 270 cards.

I mainly use the PC for online gaming and processing of photos and movies, so would the rx 260 be a bit under-powered for these tasks? Trying to work out if the rx 270's price is justified - being about £60 more than the rx 260.

Any particular brand to stick to?
    - Was looking at getting either XFX or PowerColour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Are you sure it's not your psu at fault?

If it's the gpu skip to the generation and get a rx 460 or 470. What's your budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If budget is around €120, get the RX460 - not really an upgrade, more a replacement. €200, get the RX470, which is the card I would recommend as it is a strong improvement.

Around €140-150, a GTX960 is an OK bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

If you're interested I want to upgrade and sell off my 280, I can do you a good price on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

As per Redfox25's suggestion, I've double checked the cable + connections.

Swapped around and reseated the connections ... video card is now wide-awake! :-D Hopefully, it'll stay alive for a few more years.

Thanks for the replies - muchly appreciated.

Advertisement