Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saab 2.2tdi 2004 diagnose fault

• 21-08-2016 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

When i accelerate (really put the foot down) - especially going up a hill the car revs drop and she loses power temporarily. I drop the power then shes fine again. (is this prob the turbo/ spark plugs issue)

Also the fan works for the ac cold and hot air but its neither hot or cold - any ideas? (is this prob the compressor?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

You have no spark plugs in diesel.
    They use glow plugs for starting once car has started it relies on heat and compression in cylinder to run.

It sounds like you have vacuum leak. It might be clogged air or fuel filter. EGR valve might need cleaning or replacement. I check these first before the turbo.

No hot or cold is a issue you need to address quickly. Make sure the coolant level is correct and you have no leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

Fixed the vaccum hose to the turbo.. Unfortunately im told its the clutch slipping and i need a new one and flywheel at a cost for 1800............ for a 2004 saab 2.2 tdi

Would this do the job

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SAAB-9-5-2-2TiD-TiD-DMF-TO-SMF-FLYWHEEL-CONVERSION-AND-CLUTCH-KIT-WITH-SLAVE-CSC-/361477130814?hash=item5429b74a3e:g:6ZoAAOSwqYBWp3ib&autorefresh=true

RIP saab id say..1300 bought in April spent 1000 on it..worth nothing now....2300 for 6 months motoring... i wonder if the lad i bought it from sold it because of this reason... sh*t happens i suppose sometimes..

It certainly looks like the right kit from description.

The biggest cost isn't the parts but labour

You will need to shop around to find someone who will do the job at reasonable cost.

1800 isn't reasonable sounds like dealership price or garage that doesn't really need/want this work.

Any idea of labor ... would 7 hours be way off the mark?
    What would be a good price... for outside the city?
    Could it be from 350-800 depending on garage

I am also wondering if it is at all possible to buy a clutch a fly wheel from a scrap yard and find someone who will fit a second hand one....

Also if i decide to just drive it till it breaks will that cost more to fix then?

Forget about clutch from breakers yard. It's likely to be worn and possibly of oil contamination is high meaning you spend the biggest chunk of your money getting it fitted to save a couple hundred and it doesn't last.

You can drive on until clutch fails the only risk is metallic filings will clog up starter motor.

What you really need is someone who can do the job at reasonable cost. I would think 300 to 600 euro with you supplying parts would be reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I'd look for a second opinion, surely clutch slip wont cause the revs to drop? I'd be thinking perhaps dodgy air flow meter or something similar. Has the car been plugged into diagnostics?

The revs on the dash board stay stagnant within 1/5th of 1,000 revs, yet the car loses power.....but the engine revs rapidly increase as you can hear them... poor previous explanation.

usually at 3,000 revs in 3rd gear or 5th.

i thought it was the turbo.

twas plugged into diagnostics and a mechanic came with me for a drive 4 weeks ago and - i drove it up the link and then he did - it didnt slip and i put the foot down.... he said it could be feckin anything and drive it till it breaks... nothing came up on his machine he plugged in...whilst we were driving... no engine mgt lights etc

He said he can clean the egr valve but thought this was a waste of time..

At what point is the turbo designed to kick in.... i would have thought 3,000 revs in third gear and fourth and 5th gear which is where ive got the prob..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

In cork city ?

Which garage did you go to ?

Where are you based also ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

The turbo should be working from 2000 rpm upwards.
    If your clutch is on the way out you will see the rpm/revs on the rev counter rise and the speedo not rise or rise too slowly.
    If it is your clutch the price of changing it may not be worth it as you could nearly buy the same car again for about 800 euro.

The revs do not rise on the rev counter on the dash board when she loses power temporarily and the foot is down........... (but you can hear them reving like shes in neutral)

Had it 5 months.
    Paid 1300
    Spent so far:
    200 repairs 2 months ago..
    500 repairs today...

Plus she needs a new clutch and fly wheel which i was quoted 1800 for today.....

Thats 3,800 for 2004 saab 2.2 on the road for 5 months which is worth 800 euro.. ......

The mechanic i brought it to in Cork back in April/ May before i handed over the cash said: "What do you want to know about it ...shes the cleanest second hand car in Ireland for sale ....."

Funny how it transpired!!!

• Advertisement

Have a look at the injectors when the car is running for any leaks from the injector seals.Look for any wet patches where diesel it leaking out.
    Usually if you have diesel leaking out you will have air getting in and this can cause lack of power.
    Other than that you will have to get someone to check your fuel pressure as the fuel pumps on that engine are well known to give trouble.
    Vacuum pipes also trouble but can be replaced with 3mm silicon pipes as the rubber ones become porous.
    Check air filter that its not blocked ,even a bad fuel filter would cause lack of power.

bigroad wrote: »
    Have a look at the injectors when the car is running for any leaks from the injector seals.Look for any wet patches where diesel it leaking out.
    Usually if you have diesel leaking out you will have air getting in and this can cause lack of power.
    Other than that you will have to get someone to check your fuel pressure as the fuel pumps on that engine are well known to give trouble.
    Vacuum pipes also trouble but can be replaced with 3mm silicon pipes as the rubber ones become porous.
    Check air filter that its not blocked ,even a bad fuel filter would cause lack of power.

Imagine forking out 1800 to find out she still has the same problem............. beautiful

Dylan123 wrote: »
    bigroad wrote: »

Imagine forking out 1800 to find out she still has the same problem............. beautiful
    Who told you it was the clutch?

Established experienced mechanics in the Cork wider areas ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

A mechanic I go to in Douglas does clutch / flywheel for a fixed price of 220 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Slipping clutch don't cause rev drops.
    It may not be the clutch at all.
    Get a second opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

jharr100 wrote: »

That is a great price , can you pm me his details :)

Pm has been pm'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

For Saabs in Cork this guy comes recommended. :

http://www.fmautos.ie/

(I have not used him)

Apologies my posts are far from clear. Lets try again!!!!!!!

When i really put the foot down: sometimes....

(1) The engine loses power half the time.
    (2) The revs are clearly heard going high.

(3) But: the rev counter on the dash never goes more than 1,000 revs more ..when i press the accelerator for another 2-3 seconds.....if you put the foot down in neutral for 2 seconds id expect it to rise 3,000 revs on the dashboard (not equal)

Engine mgt light came on today:
    (1) Plugged in to computer and it came up air flow of engine.

(2) Fuel and air filter are very dirty. (yet full service history log book for service 4,000km ago is stamped..by the same guy who said she was the cleanest second hand car in Ireland..what else more did i want to know back in May....and she started slipping weeks later... make up your own mind)

(3) ***No leaks or signs of diesel leaks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Could be a mix of things. Try FMautos, they are good.

biko wrote: »
    Could be a mix of things. Try FMautos, they are good.

+1
    Fergus Madden knows his Saabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

jharr100 wrote: »
    +1
    Fergus Madden knows his Saabs

He also knows his very high prices, and doesnt like when you ask him to work on a car you didnt buy from him,

Ive avoided him after going to him 3 times and being fobbed off each time

That engine was also used in many opel cars and jeeps so an experienced opel mechanic will know them inside out ,in opels it was called the 2.2dti engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

jharr100 wrote:

Great! I'll send him all my diesel clutches and make a fortune considering a DMF can be €500 alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have a Saab 9-5 estate with the same engine but the pump is fubar in it. Wonder is it your pump ?

If so, it's Hammond Lane / Galway Metal time...I'm looking a crushing an otherwise good car. Auto (no clutch :) ), leather etc .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    I have a Saab 9-5 estate with the same engine but the pump is fubar in it. Wonder is it your pump ?

If so, it's Hammond Lane / Galway Metal time...I'm looking a crushing an otherwise good car. Auto (no clutch :) ), leather etc .

Can you not buy a new one?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-HFP-255LPH-Intank-Fuel-Pump-Install-Kit-Turbine-E85-SAAB-9-5-9000-900-9-3-/121727780902?hash=item1c578a8826:g:ez0AAOSw~gRVya~a

What is the best way to determine if the fuel pump is goosed? What happened with your car..similar to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

look for a corrigated air intake pipe close to the engine throttle body after afm, if its cracked it opens more during strong acceleration and closes again when power drops off.

But if a mechanic tells you its the clutch it prob is, unmistakable really.

Great! I'll send him all my diesel clutches and make a fortune considering a DMF can be €500 alone.

220 labour, you supply all the parts yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

jharr100 wrote:
    220 labour, you supply all the parts yourself

You didn't say anything about parts.... either way I'll give him 220 to do a clutch on a Lancer Evo or a Vectra diesel.

The issue went away, and came back....

Engine management produced two error codes:
    (1) P0106
    (2) P2227

(1) Manifold absolute pressure/ Barometric pressure circuit range
    (2) Barometric Pressure circuit range performance

The car is 13 years old. Mechanic recommendations Munster please??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The issue went away, and came back....

Engine management produced two error codes:
    (1) P0106
    (2) P2227

(1) Manifold absolute pressure/ Barometric pressure circuit range
    (2) Barometric Pressure circuit range performance

The car is 13 years old. Mechanic recommendations Munster please??

But a new MAP sensor and fit it. Both the above codes relate to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Apologies my posts are far from clear. Lets try again!!!!!!!

When i really put the foot down: sometimes....

(1) The engine loses power half the time.
    (2) The revs are clearly heard going high.

(3) But: the rev counter on the dash never goes more than 1,000 revs more ..when i press the accelerator for another 2-3 seconds.....if you put the foot down in neutral for 2 seconds id expect it to rise 3,000 revs on the dashboard (not equal)

1000rpm on a Diesel engine is 25% of the rev range and under load is quite a considerable amount. You cannot compare how an engine free revs in neutral to how it revs under load, the symptoms you describe above are typical of a slipping clutch.

Advertisement