Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often do you change your Mac?

• 21-08-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

Despite getting crucified by some of my friends for having a mac (literally one guy get's visibly angry if I so much as bring out my laptop), I still love their machines and OSX.

I've been using Mac laptops since about 2005 as my main machine, and I change roughly every 4 years. Currently on a fully specced out 15" MBP from 2014 (complete desktop replacement bar a 34" ultra wide monitor I connect to at home :D ). What is your main machine and how often do you change it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Currently running a mid 2009 mac book pro
    Upgraded to 8gb of ram
    Battery needs to be replaced as I only get an hour from it without charging, but everything else is running bang on

I might change, or I might just replace the battery and upgrade to ssd

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whenever they are not functionaly able for their tasks. I have Mac/PC/Unix for work and personal usage. Each has their strength and weaknesses. For the Mac, it is a MacBook laptop that has proved the best in terms of light function/experimental dev. usage. So when the machine no longer is able to mirror close to the current release paradigm of Apple, then it would be time to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JonMac

I changed my 2006 Macbook last year because it couldn't get Safari security updates anymore.
    I've had 5 in the last 24 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

I tend to upgrade all upgrade-able hardware before I change Mac so I get a good few years out of each machine that I own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

every four years, but that's choice rather than necessity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Currently have:

My laptop: 2009 white MacBook with an SSD. Still chugging along just fine.

Wife's laptop: 2013 MacBook Pro. Entry level 13" with an SSD.

Media centre: 2011 Mac Mini with an SSD and 8GB RAM.

I don't think I'll be changing any of them any time soon unless they break. SSD's have just extended the life of old computers immeasurably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Depends on your use cases I suppose. I got mine (2013) as I was starting to make a lot of video content (which I don't anymore) so I only really use it for some browsing or working on personal documents. Therefore, I probably won't be upgrading it for a few more years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bought a Macbook in 2007, still have it but very rarely use it
    Got a iMac in 2011 and I've upgraded the RAM this year, can't fault the iMac since the RAM upgrade. Think I might add a SSD to it next year but its perfect otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have found Apple laptops to be both well built and to last fairly well. However, I am not sure about the future, given the way Apple are making them these days - namely gluing the batteries in.

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro Retina. The battery is OK, but on it's way out. I got a quote from Compu-B, Apple's Irish service agent, for replacing the battery. They want €663.

Because of the glue, places like iFixit say it is uneconomical and extremely difficulty to DIY the battery replacement, but at Irish prices, giving it a shot is probably worth a try. Mess it up and you will be out of pocket €700 or you just toss the whole machine.

So given this battery situation, Apple laptops really are close to looking like disposable items with a 4 year lifespan if you need to be able to run it on battery power for a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I get a new one through work every 3 years, current is from 2013, will upgrade once the new models are released.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have found Apple laptops to be both well built and to last fairly well. However, I am not sure about the future, given the way Apple are making them these days - namely gluing the batteries in.

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro Retina. The battery is OK, but on it's way out. I got a quote from Compu-B, Apple's Irish service agent, for replacing the battery. They want €663.

Because of the glue, places like iFixit say it is uneconomical and extremely difficulty to DIY the battery replacement, but at Irish prices, giving it a shot is probably worth a try. Mess it up and you will be out of pocket €700 or you just toss the whole machine.

So given this battery situation, Apple laptops really are close to looking like disposable items with a 4 year lifespan if you need to be able to run it on battery power for a few hours.

Holy sheeit.......:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Had a 2005 MacBook. Replaced with a 2011 MacBook Air. Looking to replace it soon enough with either a 2017 MacBook or a 2016 MacBook Pro.

Actually just writing this out has made me realise they last for 6 years (before I look to replace them) and still both going strong. Same couldn't be said for any Windows based laptops in the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

2003-2006-2011-?? (Laptop)

2008-2014 (iMac)

I'm hoping to change my laptop in the next few weeks. Just can't make up my mind between a MacBook or a MacBook Air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

My 2008 MacBook Pro was replaced earlier this year with an iMac, earlier than planned. I reckon 8 years from a Mac is easily done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've a 2011 MBP. Upgraded the ram and SSD.

Currently waiting to see what Apple release this year for the MBP, and will consider updating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I'm on my first Macbook Air (2013) and it's just fantastic. The only problem I had with it was when my iPad attacked it and broke the screen. I too brought it to Compu-B on Grafton street. They quoted 800+ to fix it. Then I did some research and brought it to Right Click on Camden Street. 550 all in replaced and with an official Apple replacement part.

Unless it stops working, I can't see myself changing it. It's a little beast. My brother has a 2011 Macbook Pro and it's solid as a rock still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Zcott wrote: »
    My 2008 MacBook Pro was replaced earlier this year with an iMac, earlier than planned. I reckon 8 years from a Mac is easily done.

I flogged a 2008 Macbook earlier this year. Cost me €1070 and I sold it for €350.

I know people moan about the cost of Apple hardware, but I can't imagine an 8 year old Windows laptop would be worth anything close to that. The fact that it was capable of running the latest version of OSX would have a lot to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

stimpson wrote: »
    I flogged a 2008 Macbook earlier this year. Cost me €1070 and I sold it for €350.

I know people moan about the cost of Apple hardware, but I can't imagine an 8 year old Windows laptop would be worth anything close to that. The fact that it was capable of running the latest version of OSX would have a lot to do with it.

ohh, interesting. I've a 2008 MBP with an SSD thrown in a drawer somewhere that hasn't been used in a few years. I guess I should sell it.

jester77 wrote: »
    ohh, interesting. I've a 2008 MBP with an SSD thrown in a drawer somewhere that hasn't been used in a few years. I guess I should sell it.

Indeed: http://www.adverts.ie/macbook/13-aluminium-unibody-macbook/10507932

It had been previously upgraded to 4GB RAM, 100GB SSD and I added a new battery from amazon (~£25 I think). It sold in 3 days.

OSI wrote: »
    Still have a 2008 Unibody Macbook at home, the only thing holding them back is the 4GB max RAM.

They will actually take 8GB with a bit of fiddling:

http://blog.macsales.com/9102-secret-firmware-lets-late-08-macbooks-use-8gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

1st - 2011 13" MacBook Pro

2nd - 2014 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display

3rd - 2016 12" MacBook (a downgrade in processor and GPU but the form factor and portability of this thing makes it worth it to me, for my needs!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

On my 4th Mac now since my 12" Powerbook in late 2003. Got a G5 iMac in 2005, which was one of Apple's few lemons, a Macbook in 2007 and my current unit is a MBP that I got in 2009. Have given it a RAM bump, a new battery and a SSD put into it as well plus a new charger and it's still good. Still, it's time for a upgrade real soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Using a base-level MBA I bought in New York in February 2012...

.. still as good as the day I bought it. God bless SSD's..

Can't see myself changing for another year or two anyways.

If it ain't broken..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Have a macbook pro for nearly 5years now and other than the battery life, its still perfect.
    Can't see myself going back to a Dell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

That's nuts - apple stores in the uk are £169 - see https://support.apple.com/en-gb/mac-notebooks/repair/service/pricing

Even including train fair or petrol - that's still mental.

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

So it looks like people are happy with their apples,

I was going to start a thread but i think this is a good place. I awlays had the impression that apple was for techies and designers so I never really gave them a second though. I got an ipad a couple years ago and its brilliant. ipad2 still going strong.
    Now i want to get a laptop so ive started to look at apples in a different way. as im sick to my balls of constant window updates for this that and everything. Laptops lagging, getting hot etc Its only 3 years old hp sleekbook 4g with amd processor. but the old ipad is nearly as fast.

So stupid question time can macbook handle 15-20 pages open in a browser and 7 or 8 excel files open at the same time.

And can i get a discount if i get a macbook, ipad air and iphone if I buy all together. Where would I even begin to buy. I suppose I could start with Harvey norman and see will they give me a decent discount. Probably will wait till xmas or maybe after so plenty of time to look anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Hi,

Definitely check out the Apple refurbished store:

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Most of the newer Macs have 8GB RAM installed and should handle 15-20 pages fine.

No discounts for buying 3 devices from Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭MillField

Bought a refurbished mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13' in late 2013. I don't plan on upgrading until at least late next year, if not later. Macs are a considerable investment but the reliability you get from them are top notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Using a 2012 rMBP. Few issues with it last year and getting a few unexpected crashes/restarts recently which is probably going to result in my getting the new MBP's in October. Aside from the faults & subsequent repairs, it's still going strong but if I can sell this one now and buy a new one that will last me 4-5 more years then its the right way to go about things imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

miralize wrote: »
    Using a 2012 rMBP. Few issues with it last year and getting a few unexpected crashes/restarts recently which is probably going to result in my getting the new MBP's in October. Aside from the faults & subsequent repairs, it's still going strong but if I can sell this one now and buy a new one that will last me 4-5 more years then its the right way to go about things imo.

Have you had any issues with the insulation on the mag-safe power cable breaking and coming off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Have you had any issues with the insulation on the mag-safe power cable breaking and coming off?

Nope I leave some slack around that area. Its a bit twisted but its not fraying yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

The house computer is a standard spec 2011 Macbook Air. It's fine for the every day use it gets, i.e. web browsing and Skype. Had to replace the mag safe cable and the battery is showing its age. I will probably keep it until it dies but frustrating that the batteries are not replaceable.

Work computer is 2014 mac book pro. Will probably replace in 2-3 years. Only issue with this is I use excel a lot and it can be unstable. Probably should use a PC.

Advertisement