Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of mind about new handset - why can't I change?

Options
  • 21-08-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi,

I signed up to a new mobile contract instore yesterday, but now I've had a change of heart about the handset I chose. Even though I have not opened the box (or the SIM), it seems that buyer's remorse is only catered for if the handset is ordered online rather than instore.

Surely it wouldn't kill Eir to allow me to swap an unopened phone? I can't understand why there's a cooling-off period for online purchases, but not for instore purchases. Actually, I can: it's obvious that Eir would do away with a cooling-off period altogether were it not for the Distance Selling Regulations (thank you Europe!)

I know Eir are not the only company to do this, but it really leaves a nasty taste in the mouth at the beginning of a new contract. Why is there a race to the bottom when it comes to customer service in the telecomms industry? 

When you factor in the ridiculously long contracts, the perennial lies about broadband speeds and usage limits, the outsourcing of customer service to non-native-English-speaking countries, the extortionate roaming fees and the often high-pressure sales tactics, it's hard to believe that the industry is a legitimate, legal enterprise rather than a cabal run by gangsters and charlatans. One thing is obvious - customer satisfaction is not high up on the agenda.

Sorry for the rant, but surely something is wrong when you feel more like a disgruntled victim than a cherished customer?!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You have no protection under consumer law for a change of mind. Its a case of tough luck. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The law allows for a change of mind online because you had no opportunity to inspect the item. In store you had every chance to look at the phone and make a decision. It's down to the goodwill of the retailer now. Personally, I'd consider it good customer service to exchange an unopened phone but legally there's nothing you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

I signed up to a new mobile contract instore yesterday, but now I've had a change of heart about the handset I chose. Even though I have not opened the box (or the SIM), it seems that buyer's remorse is only catered for if the handset is ordered online rather than instore.

What handset did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Have you asked eir to exchange it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Originally posted by Merry Prankster

What handset did you get?
    How is that relevant  to the issue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

How is that relevant to the issue?

No relevance, just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

The law allows for a change of mind online because you had no opportunity to inspect the item. In store you had every chance to look at the phone and make a decision. It's down to the goodwill of the retailer now. Personally, I'd consider it good customer service to exchange an unopened phone but legally there's nothing you can do.
    I realise that legally they're not required to, but from the perspective of treating customers with a bit of decency, it is definitely the right thing to do. It's a minor thing for a company to exchange an item, and if they were genuinely concerned about customer satisfaction, they would do so. Whatever can be said about companies like Apple and Amazon, they certainly care alot about creating an exemplary customer experience, and their no-quibble return policies reflect this.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I phoned a couple of the stores and they both said the same thing: 'No swap for you!'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I realise that legally they're not required to, but from the perspective of treating customers with a bit of decency, it is definitely the right thing to do. It's a minor thing for a company to exchange an item, and if they were genuinely concerned about customer satisfaction, they would do so. Whatever can be said about companies like Apple and Amazon, they certainly care alot about creating an exemplary customer experience, and their no-quibble return policies reflect this.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I phoned a couple of the stores and they both said the same thing: 'No swap for you!'
    Big difference between morally right thing to do the legal right thing to do. 

Advertisement