Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock n roll bed without converting a camper?

Options
  • 21-08-2016 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi there

I m just wondering if I can install a rock n roll bed in a vw transporter with no intention to convert the van to a campervan (in Ireland)

I ask this because I need only a bed and instead to convert I will use a simple camping box.

Do not fancy to pay the vrt so I wonder if my idea can be done.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Don't know about a transporter van, but I do know people who swapped the rear seat of a shuttle for a rib bed. Think they got it done with the conversion crowd in Wexford. Don't recall it being a big job.

If you weren't looking to carry passengers, I guess an old style rock n roll bed would be handy enough DIY fit to be honest. Not much too them.

No idea what would happen if you were stopped, or checkpointed if it was a van with a rock n roll in the back though. I'd suspect a check is more likely on a commercial vehicle than any other vehicle type tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

That would be Happy Campers in Wexford. A RiB is seriously expensive just for the seat/bed alone. There are other cheaper options though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

2nd hand futon in the back ftw.

That would be Happy Campers in Wexford. A RiB is seriously expensive just for the seat/bed alone. There are other cheaper options though.
    I'd still pay if you were going to be carrying passengers/ as a daily driver. But if it's just as a parked up seat/ bed, and not travel seats, I'd agree.

I think Happy Campers do a cheaper version than the RiB that has safety belts but I'm not sure of the details. You could ring them and ask for Brian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lydialaois

Hello

I know happy campers guys, now I live in Wexford not in Co. Laois anymore. I know they can fit me a rock n roll bed my doubt was if I have to pay the revenue for that.

Otherwise I love this solution swissroombox dot com

Maybe is the most practical think so I do not want a mess if I am stopped or something :)

Thanks!

Brian would still be the man to answer you query I reckon !

That Swissroombox is a neat idea !!

Yes, and swissroombox only costs 4500 in including everything...so very much less than converting a camper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

lydialaois wrote: »
    Yes, and swissroombox only costs 4500 in including everything...so very much less than converting a camper.

Not if you do it yourself, you'd get a decent van for 2000, 1000 for VRT and DOE, add 2000 for conversion.

Swissroombox is just an expensive gimmick and not at all suitable for Irish weather.

Not if you do it yourself

+1

• Advertisement

Not if you do it yourself, you'd get a decent van for 2000, 1000 for VRT and DOE, add 2000 for conversion.

Swissroombox is just an expensive gimmick and not at all suitable for Irish weather.

Yes, not suitable for irish weather but I m spanish and I want this for my spanish holidays and sunny nice days in Wexford 😊

Yes, not suitable for irish weather but I m spanish and I want this for my spanish holidays and sunny nice days in Wexford 😊

We use our van 12 months of the year and would be lost without it, I think you're making a mistake planning from the outset for fair weather camping.

Some of the most enjoyable times we've had with our van is coming back after a walk in an atlantic gale on the west coast to a toasty warm van and a moka pot of fresh coffee.

We use our van 12 months of the year and would be lost without it, I think you're making a mistake planning from the outset for fair weather camping.

Some of the most enjoyable times we've had with our van is coming back after a walk in an atlantic gale on the west coast to a toasty warm van and a moka pot of fresh coffee.

Ok lets supose that I buy a cheap van and I invest 3000 euro to camperize it...how much should I pay to the revenue? I m quite a bit lost in this sense. Thanks.

Ok lets supose that I buy a cheap van and I invest 3000 euro to camperize it...how much should I pay to the revenue? I m quite a bit lost in this sense. Thanks.

13.3% of what they think its worth, no point in making it look fantastic before the VRT is paid ;) Our van was 3 years old when we converted it and I paid €750 VRT I think.

13.3% of what they think its worth, no point in making it look fantastic before the VRT is paid ;) Our van was 3 years old when we converted it and I paid €750 VRT I think.

Thanks a lot for your help.

My idea is to buy a Van of the year 2011 and camperize it. The van cost me 11.000 Euro (Using trade in with my mazda of 2011) and I was thinking in investing 3.000 euro maximum in converting it.

So regarding all this how much would I have to pay to the revenue? a 13.3% of the 11.000 + 3000 or just 13,3% of the 3000?. The amount can change a lot...

Thanks again !!

Thanks a lot for your help.

My idea is to buy a Van of the year 2011 and camperize it. The van cost me 11.000 Euro (Using trade in with my mazda of 2011) and I was thinking in investing 3.000 euro maximum in converting it.

So regarding all this how much would I have to pay to the revenue? a 13.3% of the 11.000 + 3000 or just 13,3% of the 3000?. The amount can change a lot...

Thanks again !!

Its the open market selling price, - what they think the end product is worth. Therefore the newer the van, the better the conversion, the higher the price.

If you're talking about a Doblo they will resist you registering it as a camper to great lengths and you will find it almost impossible to insure it as a camper in Ireland.

Its the open market selling price, - what they think the end product is worth. Therefore the newer the van, the better the conversion, the higher the price.

If you're talking about a Doblo they will resist you registering it as a camper to great lengths and you will find it almost impossible to insure it as a camper in Ireland.

Oh God, how complicate is everything. Scares me the fact that the revenue decide what they want :(
    I do not know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

There's nothing to stop you doing a diy conversion that doesnt meet the requirements for a camper (e.g. Cooking facilities not fixed) and leaving it as a van and insuring it that way.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    There's nothing to stop you doing a diy conversion that doesnt meet the requirements for a camper (e.g. Cooking facilities not fixed) and leaving it as a van and insuring it that way.

You're taking your chances.

To get commercial tax you have to sign this declaration:

"I declare that vehicle registration number XXXXXXX will be used only as a goods carrying vehicle in the course of my business/trade and will not be used at any time for social, domestic or pleasure purposes."

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/RF111A_en.pdf

You could tax it privately but then it can be hard to find insurance you'd need to talk to a broker.

OK I understand. But if it is a panel van may I install 2 windows?

Thanks

• Advertisement

It's commercial tax being used privately that the guards/ revenue are most likely to pull you for.

As crabpaddy mentioned, I did look into getting a van (not to use as a camper, just for storage/ transport reasons) and struggled to get a quote for insurance for private use. And there'd still be VRT due converting from commercial to private I think?

OK I understand. But if it is a panel van may I install 2 windows?

Thanks

You can only have windows in the side as commercial if you convert it to crew cab. 50% of the load floor space has to be dedicated to the carriage of goods. You can have windows in the back doors and nothing to stop you putting in a skylight.

Oh man..that's true :)
    Ok windows in the back would be fair enough :)
    Anyway..any of you are going to Birmingham Caravan and Camping show in October 2016?

Anyway..any of you are going to Birmingham Caravan and Camping show in October 2016?

Not my scene anyway, I'd rather be looking out at an atlantic gale in Doolin than looking at stuff I don't need and probably can't afford anyway in Birmingham :D

Not my scene anyway, I'd rather be looking out at an atlantic gale in Doolin than looking at stuff I don't need and probably can't afford anyway in Birmingham :D

Yes, I was considering to spend a day :
    Fly with ryan air: 38 euro return (only same day)
    Ticket Show: 10 euro
    48 euro all together

😊

Advertisement