Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first motorbike licence HELP.!!

• 21-08-2016 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all i was looking at buying a dirt bike a few weeks back but i ended up buying a 125cc road bike off a friend and was wondering what do i have to do to legally drive on our irish roads. I just turned 20 and i know im restricted till im 24 to drive any cc bike but i can drive bigger bikes before im 24 via :progressive access. Im in no rush with jumping onto any 600's or 1000cc bikes as insuriance will laugh at me but i was wondering do i just pass my theory test for the bike then i can drive on the roads and then when i turn 24 i can just drive any bike? Or do i need to do an ibt course after my theory test and then i can drive on a L licence? Any help will be wlcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do theory test, apply for permit, do IBT, get insurance and ride, apply for test and wear N tabard for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 the respectful prowler

Del2005 wrote: »
    Do theory test, apply for permit, do IBT, get insurance and ride, apply for test and wear N tabard for 2 years.

When you say apply for test you mean full test right? Also when i do my ibt which module is that? I heard when im doing my full test i need a bike 400cc or up because if i dont when im 24 i have to do it again on a A-bike is that right? Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ibt modules 1,3,5, every IBT instructor will know exactly how this process has to go.

After you pass your full test you will be able to repeat module 5 on an 'A' bike, and get moved up to the unrestricted license. You have to wait 2 years after holding the full license for this.

You can ride basically any bike under 35KW on the A2 license, there's power to weight ratio stuff, and it can't be derived from a bike more than double the 35kw.

for the test you can just rent a bike. For the a2 test it needs to be over 395cc, and around 35kw, again all IBT people will know the ins and outs of this

ibt modules 1,3,5, every IBT instructor will know exactly how this process has to go.

After you pass your full test you will be able to repeat module 5 on an 'A' bike, and get moved up to the unrestricted license. You have to wait 2 years after holding the full license for this.

You can ride basically any bike under 35KW on the A2 license, there's power to weight ratio stuff, and it can't be derived from a bike more than double the 35kw.

for the test you can just rent a bike. For the a2 test it needs to be over 395cc, and around 35kw, again all IBT people will know the ins and outs of this

Thanks for the reply ive a better image now. so when i pass my theory i get my L licence and now i can drive on the road as long as i go by all the rules that go with the L permit.. then i do the ibt module 1'3'5 and when finished module 5 ill have a full licence right? Then after i have my licence for 2years i just ask do do the module 5 test again on a 400cc+ bike and then ill have a full A licence due to progressive access.. but do i need to do mudule1 before i get on the road with the 125cc or can i do 1'3'5 after im on the road? Thanks for your help

you have to complete the IBT before ever going on the road alone. other than that you have the right understanding with the 2 years and all that

• Advertisement

you have to complete the IBT before ever going on the road alone. other than that you have the right understanding with the 2 years and all that

So get my learner permit then do my ibt module 1'3'5 then get insured and do i recieve a full licence after module 1'3'5 is completed or is their another test

ok so the full process is

theory test, eye test, etc etc to get your provisional license, once you have the provisional you need to do modules 1,3,5 with an ibt instructor you will then have an A2 IBT cert.

at this point you can get insurance and go out on the road on your own, wearing an L vest, on a bike that meets the 35kw requirements.. you need to carry your IBT cert with you and your provisional license at all times

once 6 months have passed since you got your provisional (not IBT, it's the date of the start of your a2 category on the provisional license), you will be able to get a test date, for the full license. If you pass this you will have a pink card license for the a2 category. you won't need to wear an L vest, or carry the IBT cert with you.

After 2 years of holding the full A2 license, you will be able to do the module 5 again, and upgrade to the full, A license. At this point you will be able to drive any bike just like the people who went straight in over the age of 24, except you will be around 22 years old

theory test, eye test, etc etc to get your provisional license, once you have the provisional you need to do modules 1,3,5 with an ibt instructor you will then have an A2 IBT cert.

at this point you can get insurance and go out on the road on your own, wearing an L vest, on a bike that meets the 35kw requirements.. you need to carry your IBT cert with you and your provisional license at all times

once 6 months have passed since you got your provisional (not IBT, it's the date of the start of your a2 category on the provisional license), you will be able to get a test date, for the full license. If you pass this you will have a pink card license for the a2 category. you won't need to wear an L vest, or carry the IBT cert with you.

After 2 years of holding the full A2 license, you will be able to do the module 5 again, and upgrade to the full, A license. At this point you will be able to drive any bike just like the people who went straight in over the age of 24, except you will be around 22 years old

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I fully understand everything now but because i have a car licence i dont think i have to do the eye test again but ill cross that road when it comes to it.. im gonna book my theory test soon and get the ball rolling i think its more complicated than the simple car driving test but once i get stuck into it i wont be long getting my full licence for the bike then after 2 years ill do it again on a 400cc+ bike.. thanks for everything. Safe biking :)

After 2 years of holding the full A2 license, you will be able to do the module 5 again, and upgrade to the full, A license. At this point you will be able to drive any bike just like the people who went straight in over the age of 24, except you will be around 22 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i dont think i have to do the eye test again but ill cross that road when it comes to it...

You won't have to take the eye test again :)

Just one other point- you will have to bring an A2 bike to pass the A2 test and I think it's very likely that your 125 trial type bike is probably an A1 bike. However, I know you might well be caught with insurance but don't forget your instructor will be probably perfectly happy to rent you his A2 bike for the test. I passed my A test on my instructor's bike.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    You won't have to take the eye test again :)

Just one other point- you will have to bring an A2 bike to pass the A2 test and I think it's very likely that your 125 trial type bike is probably an A1 bike. However, I know you might well be caught with insurance but don't forget your instructor will be probably perfectly happy to rent you his A2 bike for the test. I passed my A test on my instructor's bike.

Ok thats great :)
    How long should the test last and what do you do for it just drive around cones and drive in a straight line at low speeds and things of that nature i guess? Also i say i will rent my ibt instructors bike for a small fee and if i pass rent an A bike 2 years later but what would you consider an a2 bike like a honda hornet 250?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 colm1010

I just have a question also. What gear is legally a requirement to ride on the road? Will I need to go out and buy protective trousers and jacket, boots etc in order to do the full license test?

colm1010 wrote: »
    I just have a question also. What gear is legally a requirement to ride on the road? Will I need to go out and buy protective trousers and jacket, boots etc in order to do the full license test?

Good question' that never came into mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

colm1010 wrote: »

Only legal requirement is a helmet, so technically you can do the test with just that. That said, were I a tester I'd not be looking favourably on a lad rocking up in jeans and a geansai to do his test.

Aside from legalities of test passing, you should be having a word with yourself about gear anyway - riding around without proper gear, especially as a learner, is a recipe for a life-changing event.

Advertisement