Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog walking/hiking spots in Dublin and surrounding Counties

• 21-08-2016 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

Myself and the other half have branched out our walking places since we have gotten a GSD, now that he is maturing physically we are trying to find some nice places to go on longer walks (1-2 and eventually 2-3 hour walks) with him.

So far we have been to Ticknock (we didn't explore it thoroughly but I really liked it) and the Hellfire Club (I wasn't a fan, too linear), Killiney Hill was very enjoyable for our two other smaller dogs but I wouldn't be comfortable bringing my GSD there as it's so busy and off leash dogs everywhere.

I love open mountainy areas, or foresty areas. I'm not a fan of linear paths but like when you can detour and explore many different directions.

We are checking out Tibradden this week.
    Masseys Wood is another on the list.

Any other spots you can think of?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm no longer based back home and when I do go back, it's to Cork, but I was in Glendalough last February and there were lots of folks with their dogs up on the various walkways, made a note to bring any dogs I have there when we move back!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I regularly go up to Ticknock and love it so would recommend you going up again. Once you go right at the "crossroads" as I like to call it (at the first main look out point - about half way up the mountain), go right and follow that loop around to the car park. You rarely pass other people so its great to let the dogs off without having to worry about them being in peoples way etc.

I sometimes go to Kilmashouge too! That's slightly longer and tougher walk that Ticknock in my opinion but perfect for your GSD! It isn't a loop trail unfortunately though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

VonVix wrote: »
    Myself and the other half have branched out our walking places since we have gotten a GSD, now that he is maturing physically we are trying to find some nice places to go on longer walks (1-2 and eventually 2-3 hour walks) with him.

So far we have been to Ticknock (we didn't explore it thoroughly but I really liked it) and the Hellfire Club (I wasn't a fan, too linear), Killiney Hill was very enjoyable for our two other smaller dogs but I wouldn't be comfortable bringing my GSD there as it's so busy and off leash dogs everywhere.

I love open mountainy areas, or foresty areas. I'm not a fan of linear paths but like when you can detour and explore many different directions.

We are checking out Tibradden this week.
    Masseys Wood is another on the list.

Any other spots you can think of?

I live in north wicklow and they are amazing walks

Here you go!

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=171&rec_site=59 lovely long walks…

http://www.irishtrails.ie/Home/

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=171&rec_site=4 Charles Stewart Parnell’s house – great walk with a lovely river for swimming, plus you can get a sandwich / tea coffee at the end. Great for an off lead run

Stunning views, 10k round trip http://visitwicklow.ie/activities/cliff-walk-bray-to-greystones/

The sugar loaf - http://www.wicklowwalks.com/sugar-loaf

http://www.walkingroutes.ie/WalkingTrails/Wicklow

we do all of these with our dog regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm no longer based back home and when I do go back, it's to Cork, but I was in Glendalough last February and there were lots of folks with their dogs up on the various walkways, made a note to bring any dogs I have there when we move back!

Enjoyed Glendalough with my two smaller dogs, but again, not a place I would feel comfortable bringing my GSD as it was so busy! I prefer bringing him places that are quieter and without a ton of dogs around. If there's too many tourists they may have a panic at the sight of a big ol' GSD and if there are too many dogs off leash I feel it's simply not fair for him, as I have to keep him on lead when other dogs are around because he just loves dogs SO MUCH he can't contain himself. :o
    Ashbx wrote: »
    I regularly go up to Ticknock and love it so would recommend you going up again. Once you go right at the "crossroads" as I like to call it (at the first main look out point - about half way up the mountain), go right and follow that loop around to the car park. You rarely pass other people so its great to let the dogs off without having to worry about them being in peoples way etc.

I sometimes go to Kilmashouge too! That's slightly longer and tougher walk that Ticknock in my opinion but perfect for your GSD! It isn't a loop trail unfortunately though.

What kind of walk is Kilmashough? Narrow paths? I generally like to be able to step aside/move away from oncoming dogs/people when out for walks.
    cocker5 wrote: »
    I live in north wicklow and they are amazing walks

Here you go!

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=171&rec_site=59 lovely long walks…

http://www.irishtrails.ie/Home/

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/?id=171&rec_site=4 Charles Stewart Parnell’s house – great walk with a lovely river for swimming, plus you can get a sandwich / tea coffee at the end. Great for an off lead run

Stunning views, 10k round trip http://visitwicklow.ie/activities/cliff-walk-bray-to-greystones/

The sugar loaf - http://www.wicklowwalks.com/sugar-loaf

http://www.walkingroutes.ie/WalkingTrails/Wicklow

we do all of these with our dog regularly

Thanks so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Bear in mind that they've started charging for parking at the Visitor's Centre in Glendalough, €4 per day IIRC.

• Advertisement

At the start, Kilmashogue it is quite narrow yes, but the paths widen once you get past the first part. I don't seem to see a huge amount of dogs on this route but there does tend to be a lot of people so may not be suitable for you and your GSD.

Another option is Barnaslingan Wood in Kilternan. This is a loop trail but quite short. About 40 mins in total so I tend to do it twice. Again, you do see some dogs up here but the paths have regular openings into the forest itself, so you could always duck into the forest quite easily if you see someone approaching. In the winter, they close the car park (but you can park on the main road) but as a result, I have quite frequently found myself to be the only one up there so this spot may be ideal once the weather gets a bit colder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

VonVix wrote: »
    Enjoyed Glendalough with my two smaller dogs, but again, not a place I would feel comfortable bringing my GSD as it was so busy! I prefer bringing him places that are quieter and without a ton of dogs around. If there's too many tourists they may have a panic at the sight of a big ol' GSD and if there are too many dogs off leash I feel it's simply not fair for him, as I have to keep him on lead when other dogs are around because he just loves dogs SO MUCH he can't contain himself. :o
    !

Ha! Identify with this alright! Our GSD's recall just isn't there yet when he sets his eyes on a new ' friend' be it human or dog. Even though he's friendly it can be scary to have big dog bounding over so don't trust him off lead yet if there are distractions.

If you want to go a little further, we bring ours up by a few walks around the cooley mountains. Never meet anyone there and lots of twists and turns and routes to take. As long as you don't do the main routes you're grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Crone Woods is a great hike, not too taxing but with good variety and beautiful views over the Powerscourt waterfall. It has several loops to pick depending on how challenging you want it to be, you can go up Maulin if you want.

Avondale is a great walk too, through parkland and forest alongside the river. Not a hike though.

mhge wrote: »
    Crone Woods is a great hike, not too taxing but with good variety and beautiful views over the Powerscourt waterfall. It has several loops to pick depending on how challenging you want it to be, you can go up Maulin if you want.

Avondale is a great walk too, through parkland and forest alongside the river. Not a hike though.

This!!

we do crone woods over the top of the waterfall.. Down the other side over to long hill road car park (back of kilmacagnoe) We park a car at each spot, takes us 3 hours and a good hike in parts it's, 14 km.. It's a long walk steep at times but we bring lunch to have down by the river most of the time! Although Cody seems to eat his own lunch and most of ours too!

It's a brilliant walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sassenach

Some great ideas in this thread, thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cocker5 wrote: »
    This!!

we do crone woods over the top of the waterfall.. Down the other side over to long hill road car park (back of kilmacagnoe) We park a car at each spot, takes us 3 hours and a good hike in parts it's, 14 km.. It's a long walk steep at times but we bring lunch to have down by the river most of the time! Although Cody seems to eat his own lunch and most of ours too!

It's a brilliant walk!

:o I think I camped there in my youth!! Is there much if a walk at the waterfall - like is there trails you can take etc? I'd love to take the dogs for a nice walk like that but 14km might be too much for all of us!

tk123 wrote: »
    :o I think I camped there in my youth!! Is there much if a walk at the waterfall - like is there trails you can take etc? I'd love to take the dogs for a nice walk like that but 14km might be too much for all of us!

it sounds like a long walk and at the end we too are wrecked but the scenery is amazing and changeable so it’s worth it… some parts are steep and others not at all so we take it easy going around…

I can give you proper directions if you want?

We park one car in Crone woods then drive over to long hill car park (6 minutes away) and park the other – we start here.

We walk up in the woods for another 3km (there’s a proper path / road) STUNNING view of the powers court water fall front view, then we walk up by a farm and in between two larges fields (fencing is there) it’s part of the Wicklow way, then you walk down to the river and up the hill the other side – this brings you to another amazing view on top of the powers court waterfall… so your looking down… then up the back of that area then it’s all downhill into crone woods from there. You absolutely can do Crone woods by itself and do a good 8km walk up over the water fall and loop back down into the car park etc. it’s still a stunning walk by itself. I’ve attached some of the walks so you can see what’s it’s like.

There is another one not too far away called Doujce woods… which is another fabulous walk.. see attached  if you do go to Doujce woods not too far away is Doujce golf course – great place for lunch and you can sit outside and have lunch with the dogs 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Ashbx wrote: »

please pay attention to the 'keep dogs on a lead' signs they're there for a reason

ganmo wrote: »
    please pay attention to the 'keep dogs on a lead' signs they're there for a reason

Thanks for the input but I do actually keep them on a lead until I get to a point where there are no people so I can let them off without getting in peoples way. Which is why I told the OP which direction to go where there are the least amount of people.

Im not sure if you are talking about Kilmashougue or Ticknock...and maybe I am just completely ignorant and blind but I have actually never seen signs there that dogs must be kept on leads - I will keep an eye out the next time though. They certainly are not very clear if there are any up there.

However, according to the Coilte website it says "be sure that they are under effective control. Effective control means that your dog will come at your command, if not your dog must to be kept on a lead. ". My dogs have a great recall so I don't see any issues letting them enjoy having a runaround the mountains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

They're in ****ty positions and not half big enough

They're there as a result of dogs getting away and attacking sheep in the area. As recently as last week

ganmo wrote: »
    They're in ****ty positions and not half big enough

They're there as a result of dogs getting away and attacking sheep in the area. As recently as last week

I have to say I keep my cocker on lead even up the mountains at all times - it's 10 meter retractable lead.. Only use this up the mountains.. But I do it for two reasons..

1. Wild animals / sheep / roads/ mountain bikers (loads up the Wicklow mountains)

2. Just in case he gets a scent and bolts.. Over the last 4/5 years I e met at least 7/8 people who's dogs got lost up the mountains.., never to be seen again.

It's just not worth the risk !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

That's heartbreaking, I recently saw lost dog posters of a Golden Retriever up in Tibradden and I found it upsetting for some reason. I only have one dog that I am comfortable letting off leash, but he has bells attached to his harness so if he does weirdly go out of sight (which would be out of character), I should be able to hear him.

My other two... one is a total puppy brain (What's this? What's that? Oooh, butterfly!) and the other is a Beagle in a Sheltie's body when on walks.

So none of them are ever off leash, except for the one but that's only if the other half is with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

Devil's Glen is Ashford is a lovely walk too.
    My dog loves running down into the river & swimming in the large rock pool by the waterfall.

Advertisement